Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

I could swear I remembered watching an LP of The Unfinished Swan from these forums, but I did not see any trace of it in the archive or the master list. Am I imagining things?

I'm pretty sure there wasn't an actual individual thread, but that doesn't rule out the numerous free-for-all threads where it would probably fit better considering how short it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yah, maybe it was in one of the Casual Thread variants? The Master List being freely editable and the SA Archives being notoriously unreliable mean that it's less likely to be only a memory.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blood Sally posted:

Yah, maybe it was in one of the Casual Thread variants? The Master List being freely editable and the SA Archives being notoriously unreliable mean that it's less likely to be only a memory.

For example, there’s an entire LP of Ace Combat 5 that was done by Concordat on the forums that was swallowed whole by the archives because it was done back in the days before LP had its own sub forum and operated out of Games, before the Master List and the LP Archive existed, and because Concordat himself deleted all the video evidence of it except for like one or two side videos.

Sometimes the Internet isn’t as Forever as some people like to make it out to be.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

For example, there’s an entire LP of Ace Combat 5 that was done by Concordat on the forums that was swallowed whole by the archives because it was done back in the days before LP had its own sub forum and operated out of Games, before the Master List and the LP Archive existed, and because Concordat himself deleted all the video evidence of it except for like one or two side videos.

Sometimes the Internet isn’t as Forever as some people like to make it out to be.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I've been wanting to jump back in the LP waters after a long hiatus, and it seems there's only a single Breath of Fire LP in the master list. BoF's a classic series I have a lot of love for and wouldn't mind LPing the second and third one down the line as well. Scintilla did a screenshot LP and I'm planning on making this a full video LP with clips of art shown in as we go along. While I originally set up my emulator for 1080p, it gets a bit ugly so I'm uploading a 720p variant instead, so please ignore that size. Going to use the side bars for displaying different box art so hope they're not too distracting. If there's any obvious issues, please let me know!

Let's Play Breath of Fire

Normally when you hear of Capcom, you think of fighting or action games. So it was an unusual move in April of 1993 for them to release an RPG made in house. The team they put together was an interesting mix of game veterans and new faces who would later go on to become icons in their field. Many RPG's at the time were bland looking, text heavy, and using a basic soundtrack. But Capcom would put their usual heavy artistic flair in their designs and musical scores. Many of these concept art designs are around today, and I'll be sharing them in the videos and this post. While I don't intend to 100% the game, I will try to show off as much as possible including some secrets in the game. It was also re-released later on the GBA, but I'll be playing the SNES version since the differences are minor, and the music's better in this one.

Spoiler Policy

Breath of Fire 1 is fairly old and while I expect many people to have given at least one of the games in the series a go, there are some who might have not seen it yet so lets not spoil anything please! Plus I'd like to do runs of some of the following games later and rather not have those events revealed. Not even in tags guys. Please.

Playlist
#1 - Home Wreckers

Revealed Concept Art

Box Art

Japan

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 6, 2019

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Though my last LP fizzled out due to health problems, I'm determined to see this one to the end, since Farland Saga 1/2 are not well-known in the United States.

Please take a look at the test post and let me know if there's anything that needs fixing.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
It's been a few weeks and I haven't received an answer from Baldurk, so people here might be able to answer instead.

When it comes to adding LP's to the archive, is there anything that can be done to make the job easier? I have all of the updates in Notepad files for example, so should I send those with the Archive request when I send the email?

I already know I have to send an archive blurb and an icon, but I wasn't sure if Baldurk only grabs the LP from the original thread, or if having everything emailed would be easier.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I suppose this is a question for the castle.

I've slowly got my LPs to a reasonable standard and release schedule. I'm ultimately looking to try to get them to a slightly larger audience. I don't care to earn money off this, more just get to more people watching without being completely obnoxious. But yes, broadly I've no idea of what to do beyond

I never really thought about this stuff until now because I never really expected anyone to watch or enjoy what I did.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Psycho Knight posted:

When it comes to adding LP's to the archive, is there anything that can be done to make the job easier? I have all of the updates in Notepad files for example, so should I send those with the Archive request when I send the email?

I already know I have to send an archive blurb and an icon, but I wasn't sure if Baldurk only grabs the LP from the original thread, or if having everything emailed would be easier.

I wouldn't bother with sending the updates in a separate format. baldurk presumably has a tool that scrapes forums posts to grab content for adding to the archive. The main things I can think of to help with archiving are:

* Have a table of contents in your first post, which links to just the update (and not to the update surrounded by reader responses and other posts). If you use the test poster for your regular updates you can just link to that straight up, otherwise use a link like https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=450365877
* Host your images on lpix, and make sure their maximum width is 900px. Any images that are too large will have to be resized by baldurk, which is extra work and may not give results that you want.
* As you noted, have an archive blurb and icon ready.

Otherwise, just wait. It takes months for LPs to get archived, on average.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wouldn't bother with sending the updates in a separate format. baldurk presumably has a tool that scrapes forums posts to grab content for adding to the archive. The main things I can think of to help with archiving are:

* Have a table of contents in your first post, which links to just the update (and not to the update surrounded by reader responses and other posts). If you use the test poster for your regular updates you can just link to that straight up, otherwise use a link like https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=450365877
* Host your images on lpix, and make sure their maximum width is 900px. Any images that are too large will have to be resized by baldurk, which is extra work and may not give results that you want.
* As you noted, have an archive blurb and icon ready.

Otherwise, just wait. It takes months for LPs to get archived, on average.

How do you link to a specific post like that?

Everything else I stuff I made sure to get in place before I started, such as image width and LPix hosting. I know it takes a long time to get archived, but I didn't send a request in with that email, it was just a question.

Thanks for clearing it up though. I kind of figured Baldurk would have a system in place, but I like to check in advance in case there's anything that can be done to make it easier.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Psycho Knight posted:

How do you link to a specific post like that?

Look at the example URL I provided. It contains a post ID. Right-click on the little # icon at the bottom-left of a post to copy a link to that post, get the post ID, and dump it into the example URL instead.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
So, what would you guys consider to be a reasonable post length for an SSLP? I'm planning on starting one in February but I'm not sure what's the best way to judge if an SSLP post is getting too long or is too short. Is there is a certain limit you SSLPers out there try follow?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's a character and an image limit for each post. Don't exceed them.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Well, besides that, of course. I'm mostly concerned with the number of images bogging slower connections down.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

There's an image limit?

Anyway, I usually just end each update when it feels appropriate to do so, generally after something of interest happens in the story or I finish a major sidequest or whatever. I generally try to avoid getting too close to the character limit (anything over 40,000 characters feels a bit overkill to me), but aside from that I just go with my gut feeling.

Of course I've only ever finished one SSLP, so my advice might not be the greatest. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Rosemont posted:

Well, besides that, of course. I'm mostly concerned with the number of images bogging slower connections down.

If you're worried about that, you could always put updates into the LP tester.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I just aim for a certain number of images per update that covers enough stuff, but don't worry about the character limit, if you go over just find a good split and then make two posts, it really doesn't make a difference. However, it's pretty hard to hit the character limit unless you're packing a lot into a single update, so it depends on the game. Like how big are your images, are you just jumping from one to the next, or is there a lot of talking, or explaining, depending on what it is, it could be anywhere from 100 to 300 images per update. Unless you're using real big PNGs that are like 400kb each and having 800 images on a single page since your thread is a bit slow, you don't have to worry about it.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm still in the early stages of creating an LP so it'll be a while before I put any of this stuff into practice. :j:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sometimes a less active SSLP thread will have several updates on a single page. This is fine, as long as it doesn't become too excessive. It is also fine to ask readers to leave a bunch of replies with the purpose of pushing to the next page.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rosemont posted:

So, what would you guys consider to be a reasonable post length for an SSLP? I'm planning on starting one in February but I'm not sure what's the best way to judge if an SSLP post is getting too long or is too short. Is there is a certain limit you SSLPers out there try follow?

You're never going to satisfy everyone, so figure out something that works for you given the pacing you want and the update schedule you want to maintain. On the other hand, it's very hard to go wrong by writing updates that are too short, and most people probably err on the side of going too long, so maybe try out some shorter updates and see what you think.

legioN7
Jul 13, 2016
I don't know where else to ask this, but this seems like the best place to.
What happened to the LP archive? It seems to have stopped updating back in July last year.
Did they move or something?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Way I remember it baldurk is just really, really busy with other stuff. The archive hasn't updated all that often for a couple years now, but it still does, and when that happens there's typically a big chunk of LPs put up all at once.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rosemont posted:

There have already been a bunch of solid answers, but I just want to chime in and say there it's important to remember there no hard and fast rule. It all depends. On the game you're LPing, on how you want to LP it--it's up to you. Trying to keep it under the post word limit is probably a good guideline to follow, although I will point out that it's not mandatory. nine-gear crow's White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 LPs frequently broke the word limit for updates and it was well received overall.

As you make your updates, you're going to fall into what works for you.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Rosemont posted:

You can't bookmark partway through a post.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
So like...what's going on with the Archive? It hasn't updated in forever even though I'm pretty sure there's been a lot of completed LPs just based on what my youtube subscriptions are telling me.
Is nobody asking for Archiving?
Is the Archive dead/out of space?
Am I giant idiot for asking this here cause I don't know where else to ask these questions?
I mean if I sent an email I'd feel like a chode and if I used Twitter I'd feel like a bigger one so here we are.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kadorhal, three posts above your own post posted:

Way I remember it baldurk is just really, really busy with other stuff. The archive hasn't updated all that often for a couple years now, but it still does, and when that happens there's typically a big chunk of LPs put up all at once.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I believe in baldurk, he will set us free

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm gonna start my first LP soon, and I've been tinkering around with OBS to see what settings get the best results. I took this video at 720p and 60 FPS, and I'm not sure if it'll look good enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pqV-n7CYuw
(mild Danganronpa V3 spoilers)

St0rmTheGates
Jan 30, 2019
Test Post - Let's Talk poo poo, A Weekly Let's Play Based On Discussion

Purpose: My friend and I do a weekly let's play, and I would like to start a thread to encourage discussion. My first attempt was sent to the gas chamber, so I reworked it. I am hoping for feedback on what I can do to improve the thread. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Let's Talk poo poo - A Weekly Let's Play Based On Discussion and Interaction

Let's Play Format

Let's Talk poo poo is an irreverent gaming show with a focus on discussion. Each week we play a new game and discuss it in detail before moving on to related gaming news and current events. We end every episode with a culture corner where we discuss a show or movie that we have both seen recently.

Each episode is just over an hour in length. We play a wide variety games--some new, some old, some weird and obscure. A new episode comes out every Wednesday.

Goal of Thread

The goal of this thread is to encourage further discussion. Andy and I try to be entertaining, but for me the best part of the show is the discussion. There are a few things I hope to accomplish with this thread:

1. Hear your feedback regarding the games and topics discussed on the show, especially your disagreement. We love to hear back from folks with a different perspective, because it provokes thought and encourages discussion.
2. User questions and topic suggestions. Every week we come prepared with our notes on the game and a list of topics to discuss, but some of our most engaging conversations have come from listener questions and I would like to encourage anyone to participate.
3. Game suggestions. They can be new, old, indie, AAA, PC, console. We play a lot of different games.

Episodes:

Darksiders

Game Description

Darksiders is a hack and slash action-adventure video game developed by Vigil Games and published by THQ Nordic. You play as War, physical embodiment of violence and member of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. When the Apocalypse get's set off ahead of schedule and War rides out before he is supposed to, War is forced to go on an adventure to correct his mistake. This game has been compared to God of War and Legend of Zelda.

Episode Topics
Darksiders
RE2 One-Shot Demo (and Demos in General)
The Steam Return Policy
Soldier 76 Being Gay
Tank Controls
AR Games

Culture Corner: 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within'

Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Game Description

From the series that coined the phrase 'survival horror' comes the 2019 remake of the second Resident Evil game. The original RE2 was characterized by its multiple playable characters with (a) and (b) stories, fixed camera angles, and lovely tank controls. The remake uses an over-the-shoulder mounted camera more similar to Resident Evil 4, and has modernized controls. The gameplay is basically the same--inventory based puzzle solving and clunky combat. The graphics are stellar and the remake is considerably more cinematic than the original game.

Episode Topics
Resident Evil 2
Remakes
The Netflix Resident Evil Show
The Resident Evil Movies
Dead or Alive 6 Costumes
Social Justice Commercials
Fixed Camera Angles

Culture Corner: 'Arizona'

St0rmTheGates fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 31, 2019

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I had an idea the other day when I was bored, so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what people thought. It's a hack of FFT that's not 1.3, and so is already superior. I was going to play it anyway, and then realized that it would be interesting to see a blind view of it.

OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153270

Update 1: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153271

I'm pretty sure I have the images as right as ePSXe will let me, but I don't have the most confidence in my writing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Quite frankly, to me this sounds less like an LP and more a way to try and fish for more traffic for your youtube channel.

St0rmTheGates
Jan 30, 2019

Kanfy posted:

Quite frankly, to me this sounds less like an LP and more a way to try and fish for more traffic for your youtube channel.

The reason I started making a let's play, and the same reason I want to make an LP thread, is that there's a particular kind of Let's Play that I really enjoy but hardly gets made anymore. I used to love Let's Drown Out and later Previously Recorded, but they've both since been cancelled.

The format is long episodes with critical discussion of the game, gaming news, and current events. Yeah, we try to be funny to keep it entertaining, but the main point is the discussion. And that's where making an LP thread comes in, I don't just want to broadcast one way. I like to hear dissenting opinions and have my assumptions challenged. I like to have a real discussion. So I guess my hope is that there are other people out there looking for a similar kind of LP who would want to get in on that discussion.

Regarding the channel, it's never been monetized and it never will be. YouTube is just the most convenient way to host videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

St0rmTheGates posted:

The reason I started making a let's play, and the same reason I want to make an LP thread, is that there's a particular kind of Let's Play that I really enjoy but hardly gets made anymore. I used to love Let's Drown Out and later Previously Recorded, but they've both since been cancelled.

The format is long episodes with critical discussion of the game, gaming news, and current events. Yeah, we try to be funny to keep it entertaining, but the main point is the discussion. And that's where making an LP thread comes in, I don't just want to broadcast one way. I like to hear dissenting opinions and have my assumptions challenged. I like to have a real discussion. So I guess my hope is that there are other people out there looking for a similar kind of LP who would want to get in on that discussion.

Regarding the channel, it's never been monetized and it never will be. YouTube is just the most convenient way to host videos.

That still doesn't exactly answer the OP's concern that, well, this really does just smack of an excuse to fish for traffic. Your original post, the one that was gassed and you reposted here almost unaltered, had all the trappings of a traffic-grab. We usually get these every few months. People register a new account and with their first post ever they dump a link to their YouTube page which already has like 50 videos on it with a very bland boilerplate "come check out my poo poo, it's awesome", which no indication that they even know anything about this site, this subforum, its established rules and culture, or that they even seem to care.

Because you seem to be doing this quite a bit online across the internet from what a cursory google search suggests, including an entire subreddit dedicated to this venture. And honestly that seems like an awful lot of work put into advertising something that you're doing purely for fun and no profit.

I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that I don't think Something Awful is the right fit for this kind of project. I like to say that "LP is whatever you want it to be" and am I strident believer in that, but even that has its limits and is largely dependent on the creativity of the LPer and this... really seems like you're forcing that square peg of "not actually an LP" into the hole of "actually is an LP" to justify it being posted here.

If you want to go ahead and post it again, I'm not going to stop you, just be advised you might not get the response you're hoping for, if any at all.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The first, even overall, impression I get from the post is that it's a gaming podcast. But the twist is that some is playing a game at the same time just to make you look at the screen and not have the viewer just run in the background as they do other things.
Doesn't feel to me like anything is really gained from having that footage and not just replaced with a static logo or image.

It really doesn't feel like a thing that fits the LP subforum. I mean there is Rapidly Going Deaf for that otherwise.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Solitair posted:

I'm gonna start my first LP soon, and I've been tinkering around with OBS to see what settings get the best results. I took this video at 720p and 60 FPS, and I'm not sure if it'll look good enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pqV-n7CYuw
(mild Danganronpa V3 spoilers)

Looks fine. Danganronpa isn't the most detailed game, so 720p should be fine.

By the way, are you doing hybrid or just video? A hybrid LP of V3 seems like a herculean undertaking. Good luck either way!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trasson posted:

I had an idea the other day when I was bored, so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what people thought. It's a hack of FFT that's not 1.3, and so is already superior. I was going to play it anyway, and then realized that it would be interesting to see a blind view of it.

OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153270

Update 1: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153271

I'm pretty sure I have the images as right as ePSXe will let me, but I don't have the most confidence in my writing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

It looks fairly solid. I'd just add another bumper at the start of the first update that this is a gameplay-only LP so that people aren't confused about why you're skipping right to the action, or maybe just do quick summaries of what's happening for that incredibly thin niche of people who've never played FFT before yet are checking out an LP of a romhack of Final Fantasy Tactics, but that's purely at your discretion.

:justpost:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It looks fairly solid. I'd just add another bumper at the start of the first update that this is a gameplay-only LP so that people aren't confused about why you're skipping right to the action, or maybe just do quick summaries of what's happening for that incredibly thin niche of people who've never played FFT before yet are checking out an LP of a romhack of Final Fantasy Tactics, but that's purely at your discretion.

:justpost:

Big :same: looking forward to that.

St0rmTheGates
Jan 30, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

That still doesn't exactly answer the OP's concern that, well, this really does just smack of an excuse to fish for traffic. Your original post, the one that was gassed and you reposted here almost unaltered, had all the trappings of a traffic-grab. We usually get these every few months. People register a new account and with their first post ever they dump a link to their YouTube page which already has like 50 videos on it with a very bland boilerplate "come check out my poo poo, it's awesome", which no indication that they even know anything about this site, this subforum, its established rules and culture, or that they even seem to care.

Because you seem to be doing this quite a bit online across the internet from what a cursory google search suggests, including an entire subreddit dedicated to this venture. And honestly that seems like an awful lot of work put into advertising something that you're doing purely for fun and no profit.

I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that I don't think Something Awful is the right fit for this kind of project. I like to say that "LP is whatever you want it to be" and am I strident believer in that, but even that has its limits and is largely dependent on the creativity of the LPer and this... really seems like you're forcing that square peg of "not actually an LP" into the hole of "actually is an LP" to justify it being posted here.

If you want to go ahead and post it again, I'm not going to stop you, just be advised you might not get the response you're hoping for, if any at all.

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, I really appreciate it. I understand your concerns. The thing that drew me to this community is your reputation for being discerning.

I also agree that people have very different ideas about what they want from a Let's Play. The reason I waited until now to make a post is because I wanted the show to be up to a presentable quality for before trying to get people engaged and build up a discussion. I didn't want people to dismiss it as low effort. In retrospect, I should have made my account a year ago when I first started getting interested, and spent some time lurking and participating in other LPs before trying to launch my own.

I intend to try again. I might be wrong, but I do think there are people looking for the same format of LP that I really love. My hope is to get a good discussion going with people who have an interest in examining games critically but also want to have a laugh while they are at it. I may fail spectacularly, but I don't want to give up just yet.

I also intend to be an active participant in the community.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
It works! Got it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I'm still not 100% sure I'll go through with this but ever since Chucat's Civ 4 LP I've been itching to tackle this craziness at some point since I think it will at least make for an interesting reading experience for seasoned Civ 4 players.

It's a potential LP of a Civilization 4 mod called Caveman2Cosmos

I have an intro post and the initial update put together as a starting point, though I'm not sure if these image sizes and the way I put my update together is best for this type of thing, so any suggestions you all have to make things more presentable/clean up my prose/give more information when needed would be greatly appreciated.