Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Throgg with an army of Trolls and Manticores cures siege battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Christmas posted:

So my Lothern campaign saw Teclis join with Mazdamundi when I broke a treaty with the later and sent an intervention army after him. We never had to fight, so our relationship score went up so that I was able to quickly make peace and confederate when my reliability recovered after many, many turns.

Let's say, in a future campaign as one of the less diplomatically-minded races, worse came to worse and circumstances forced me into a bloody war with another faction controlled by a legendary lord of the same race. However, I still want to control that legendary lord eventually. What would happen?

If a faction is on their last legs they'll sometimes accept confederation as a term of peace.

Not sure of all the mechanics involved because I've had this happen but I've also had them fight to the last man

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I’m having fun in my current Nagarythe run. I have a brace of spearmen lead the main assault and then slip a dozen Shadow-walkers up the undefended walls opposite of them. Once you get Shadow-walkers on the walls they clean house and shoot into the defenders. It’s probably the only time in TWWH I’ve enjoyed sieges because it feels like a bunch of spec-op commandos sneaking in.

It’s a pretty fun campaign.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

So my Lothern campaign saw Teclis join with Mazdamundi when I broke a treaty with the later and sent an intervention army after him. We never had to fight, so our relationship score went up so that I was able to quickly make peace and confederate when my reliability recovered after many, many turns.

Let's say, in a future campaign as one of the less diplomatically-minded races, worse came to worse and circumstances forced me into a bloody war with another faction controlled by a legendary lord of the same race. However, I still want to control that legendary lord eventually. What would happen?

You download the workshop mod that lets you force a confederation when you wipe out a faction, that's what! I get more mileage out of that in a Mortal Empires campaign so I can play Vlad the Dad and get Mannfred by punching him in the teeth, otherwise he's always a stubborn bastard who never confederates.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I got to a point that I felt comfortable putting that Karak Kadrin campaign down. I started a game as Crone Hellebron and didnt like the sound of her Blood Sacrifice mechanic so then I started up a game as Lokhir Fellhart. There is a loyalty mechanic that the Dark Elves have for their leaders - the game told me that my Black Ark's commander has low loyalty and I should do something to get him to like me. I've checked all the menus I can find and I dont see a way to give him a gift or anything, so, uhh, what do I do?

Also, how do I get a good start as Lokhir, this is a rough start.

edit: like...its turn 10 and the Skaven Corruption is already almost 60%

edit2: and now the Order of Loremasters joined the Skaven Clan Eshin in a war against me :psyduck:

edit3: WTF is this green lighting spell these rebel skaven armies have that utterly destroys my units, taking around 90% of their health bar when it hits? And it lands so fast that it is unavoidable, too. And why do Skaven Night Runner Slingers do absurd amounts of damage compared to my Darkshards, who have a higher damage value? Especially when my dudes that they are shooting have silver shields.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 18, 2019

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I got to a point that I felt comfortable putting that Karak Kadrin campaign down. I started a game as Crone Hellebron and didnt like the sound of her Blood Sacrifice mechanic so then I started up a game as Lokhir Fellhart. There is a loyalty mechanic that the Dark Elves have for their leaders - the game told me that my Black Ark's commander has low loyalty and I should do something to get him to like me. I've checked all the menus I can find and I dont see a way to give him a gift or anything, so, uhh, what do I do?

Also, how do I get a good start as Lokhir, this is a rough start.

edit: like...its turn 10 and the Skaven Corruption is already almost 60%

edit2: and now the Order of Loremasters joined the Skaven Clan Eshin in a war against me :psyduck:

edit3: WTF is this green lighting spell these rebel skaven armies have that utterly destroys my units, taking around 90% of their health bar when it hits? And it lands so fast that it is unavoidable, too. And why do Skaven Night Runner Slingers do absurd amounts of damage compared to my Darkshards, who have a higher damage value? Especially when my dudes that they are shooting have silver shields.

Hiring units will often make a lord happy. Dark Elves have a rite that you can use that will have a good chance of increasing loyalty every turn. Dark Elf assassins also have an ability that gives any lord in the same army a chance of increasing loyalty every turn. Usually you can give lords magic items and such to make them happy but I don't know what to do about Black Arks besides use the rite and/or hire some corsairs and see if it helps.

Lokhir is a bit of a tricky start but once you get him going he's a wrecking ball due to the obscene amount of money you can eventually make with slaves. I tried to get my starting spot together relatively quickly, stamp out Skrolk ASAP, and go get Itza (to the west, it's a 10 slot city). Because of your skaven and vampire pirate neighbors public order will be a problem for a while. If you can manage it, there is no opponent better for farming slaves than Skaven. Personally I just wiped them off the map because I was sick of dealing with their corruption.

Skaven are one of the few things that darkshards aren't really amazing against. Night Runners have the 'dodge' characteristic which is something like a 30% physical resist against non-magic attacks and the armor piercing doesn't really help against them so it's actually a pretty bad matchup. They are definitely a thorn in your side until you get some sort of cavalry to run them off. Your corsairs are cheap and easy to get and should make pretty short work of skaven chaff while your darkshards kill any rat ogres.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn, making Wulfrik the Everchosen is insane.

I went from bleeding nearly 20k gold a turn to making more than that even without raiding. Khemri won't last long.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

You download the workshop mod that lets you force a confederation when you wipe out a faction, that's what! I get more mileage out of that in a Mortal Empires campaign so I can play Vlad the Dad and get Mannfred by punching him in the teeth, otherwise he's always a stubborn bastard who never confederates.

There's also a mod that allows you to recruit an LL as soon as their faction is defeated, in case you don't care about confederating. It's great for when you want to get an LL that's on the other side of the planet and are afraid they will be erased from the map before you get to them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1579089019

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1489981722

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Warp Lightning is ridiculous. Cheap as hell, accurate down to the pixel, and it's a goddamn Ion cannon. A Ruin Grey Seer and a stack of skavenslaves can siege down a major city just off the back of the firepower that Warp Lightning brings. In field battles there's not much you can do other than try to stay mobile until the Grey Seer is neutralised or just tank the damage.

edit: Warlock Engineers get the spell too so during the fairly common battles against stacks that contain both a Grey Seer AND a Warlock Engineer the fun never ends.

Often Abbreviated fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 18, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Warp Lightning might be the most cost-efficient damage spell in the game, maybe only comparable to Flock of Doom.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
wind blast is certainly up there for value

e: for instance in my kroq gar campaign my skink priest got more than 1400 kills with wind blasts and 2 chain lightnings against khalidas stacks

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 18, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

toasterwarrior posted:

Warp Lightning might be the most cost-efficient damage spell in the game, maybe only comparable to Flock of Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNm022Tlenc&t=495s

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Siege battles would suck 50% less if gates weren't literally products of the chaos realms.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Often Abbreviated posted:

Warp Lightning is ridiculous. Cheap as hell, accurate down to the pixel, and it's a goddamn Ion cannon. A Ruin Grey Seer and a stack of skavenslaves can siege down a major city just off the back of the firepower that Warp Lightning brings. In field battles there's not much you can do other than try to stay mobile until the Grey Seer is neutralised or just tank the damage.

edit: Warlock Engineers get the spell too so during the fairly common battles against stacks that contain both a Grey Seer AND a Warlock Engineer the fun never ends.
Huh, thank you for the details. I uh, I may need to try a Skaven game soon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hell yeah

And yes, for this reason, Grey Seers with Ruin magic are the best Lord choice for Skaven, because they can get an additional 1 or 2 winds discount on Warp Lightning casts, as well as not having to tech up to Warlock Engineers to access the spell in the first place.

But you should still get Warlock Engineers anyway, for more item slots for possibly increasing your winds reserves, as well as supercharging your very good artillery into complete monsters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Azran posted:

There's also a mod that allows you to recruit an LL as soon as their faction is defeated, in case you don't care about confederating. It's great for when you want to get an LL that's on the other side of the planet and are afraid they will be erased from the map before you get to them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1579089019

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1489981722

What's the advantage of force confederation over just conquering them and then using the other mod to recruit the legendary lord?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
goddammit i am loving sick of these endless siege battles against the undead

i've been having an army help out the bretonnians kill off kemmler and moussilon, and i've fought 5 siege battles in a row that always play out the loving same and take too long to end because the undead dont run, save me from this hell

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 18, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In the time it takes to starve out a siege you could just raise a second army to defeat the defenders with overwhelming force (at least via the AR calculations). You should never fight an offensive siege manually, it's a lesson in frustration.

Or just get the no-walls mod. I think I'm done with the wall defenses for a couple decades.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I've been autoresolving 99% of all city battles because ugh. I just bring a second full stack of infantry OR a second general with little-to-no army and I ambush cheese the garrison into a field fight then autoresolve taking the city if I dont 100% kill off the defending army (which shouldnt be a problem with undead).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Not quite at the stage where I can run double armies per front yet, sadly. After this I should be good though, just one more goddamn siege battle.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

toasterwarrior posted:

Not quite at the stage where I can run double armies per front yet, sadly. After this I should be good though, just one more goddamn siege battle.
Ah yeah that sucks. Have you tried sieging with just a general, with the rest of your army standing nearby in ambush stance? It gets the city garrison to come out into the field. Its super cheesy but I have no qualms doing it because the siege battles are just so tedious.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ah yeah that sucks. Have you tried sieging with just a general, with the rest of your army standing nearby in ambush stance? It gets the city garrison to come out into the field. Its super cheesy but I have no qualms doing it because the siege battles are just so tedious.

Oh yeah, trust me, I have no scruples at all when it comes to sieges as well.

It's funny: the Empire actually is probably of the top picks for siege warfare in this game thanks to Mortars and magic, but the undead just not routing makes the braindead, heh, siege AI even worse because at least routing units might end up deciding to engage your blob instead of standing on the walls like idiots. Instead I have to send dudes up there to try and kill them off, and that usually goes stupidly slow because fighting on the wall also fucks with how individual models move and engage.

It's just a complete slog, man. I can only wish the "remove all walls" mod actually worked with the major overhauls, but that looks like a no go.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Siege battles are tedious enough that they actively prevent me from playing factions that are poor/slow at sieges, like cav-heavy Bretonnia or treekin-heavy Durthu.

Sadly, the problem with no walls mods is that they're a double-edged sword that renders basically every single one of your cities vulnerable to the backstabbing AI.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What's the good HE vortex campaign army composition when fighting Lizardmen? It's turn 70-ish and I own most of Ulthuan. I was thinking 2 stacks of:
2-4 Sisters of Averlorn for armoured stuff
2-4 Swordmasters of Hoeth to keep Saurus fixed as lines clash
6 Sea Guard
6 Archers
Melee champion and a mage when possible.
I play on normal.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

What's the good HE vortex campaign army composition when fighting Lizardmen? It's turn 70-ish and I own most of Ulthuan. I was thinking 2 stacks of:
2-4 Sisters of Averlorn for armoured stuff
2-4 Swordmasters of Hoeth to keep Saurus fixed as lines clash
6 Sea Guard
6 Archers
Melee champion and a mage when possible.
I play on normal.

Assuming you have the cash for it, replace the archers with more sisters of averlorn for chewing through the chunky dinos and generals and get some heavy cav and/or monsters for rear charging/routing enemies and some light cav for chasing down any routed enemies to prevent them from reforming. Your ellyrian horse archers are the best light cav in the game, great for chasing down broken units, great for
kiting, good for acting as mobile archers/shooting enemies in the back and even adequate at rear charging enemy troops as long as you just don't let them stay there and slug it out after the temporary charge bonus is gone. In my low budget armies I just skip heavy cav and monsters altogether and just add more horse archers.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, uhm, i think i'm getting whats known as "green tide" but the orks are fielding multiple (as in iv seen about 5-6 with this comp) of almost nothing but goblin rock thowers with a handful of black orks. thing is when they layed siege to one of my settlements the rock throwers couldn't seem to actually damage the walls so the army simply stood outside dying to archer towers until they finally fled.

they just don't stop coming with these loving rock chuckers

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I've converted to Luckys Overhaul.

Just had a battle vs Arkhan the Black as Settra where my army was wiped out except his starting Warsphix and Casket of Souls, with Settra personally chasing down Arkhan (who survived until then alongside half a unit of crypt ghouls) and was struck down in mounted melee.

Totally worth the army loss, it was cinematic as gently caress.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I usually run into a rock lobber based army or two when I play dwarves, yeah. And mass corpse carts from vampire counts. And let's not forget the "six sorceresses to every late game army" meta. Greenskins definitely go the most overboard, though.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
WHY

look at this loving poo poo

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 19, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And you're running the faction that gets penalized for using ambush tactics too, lol

gently caress it, go and ambush them, that penalty ain't poo poo

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You guys have any harder Chaos invasion mods to recommend? The first wave spawns like a single Chaos Warrior horde and 2 Warherds of Chaos, and at turn 100 that's embarrassingly weak. Something that gives them more armies without changing the turns they invade in would be nice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh yeah, trust me, I have no scruples at all when it comes to sieges as well.

It's funny: the Empire actually is probably of the top picks for siege warfare in this game thanks to Mortars and magic, but the undead just not routing makes the braindead, heh, siege AI even worse because at least routing units might end up deciding to engage your blob instead of standing on the walls like idiots. Instead I have to send dudes up there to try and kill them off, and that usually goes stupidly slow because fighting on the wall also fucks with how individual models move and engage.

It's just a complete slog, man. I can only wish the "remove all walls" mod actually worked with the major overhauls, but that looks like a no go.

I love siege fights with the Tomb Kings because the Casket of Souls absolutely wrecks that drat area right above the gate where your archers can't ever seem to hit anybody yet the AI somehow packs like 3 units there. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a better siege weapon for clearing walls, at least if you don't make the mistake of shooting at the walls from long range (the casket has bad accuracy).

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

You guys have any harder Chaos invasion mods to recommend? The first wave spawns like a single Chaos Warrior horde and 2 Warherds of Chaos, and at turn 100 that's embarrassingly weak. Something that gives them more armies without changing the turns they invade in would be nice.

If you want an all-around harder campaign try "Harder Campaign (beta)". I've actually lost campaigns with this one. And it spawns Chaos repeatedly with like 12 stacks, plus Warherd of Chaos gets the same. It's fun but tiring.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would skaven be better or worse if instead of their spells and abilities summoning clan rats that could route if instead they summoned unbreakable skavenslaves and overcast clan rats?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

(...) add more horse archers.
Thanks, completely forgot about horse archers!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ammanas posted:

If you want an all-around harder campaign try "Harder Campaign (beta)". I've actually lost campaigns with this one. And it spawns Chaos repeatedly with like 12 stacks, plus Warherd of Chaos gets the same. It's fun but tiring.

Dang, looks like it makes too many recommendations for either of the big overhauls. Thanks for the recommendation though, I might use it for a non-overhaul run.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would skaven be better or worse if instead of their spells and abilities summoning clan rats that could route if instead they summoned unbreakable skavenslaves and overcast clan rats?

IMO Unbreakable units are far more useful than they seem because the combat engine can be real fussy at times, so you end up with units getting tied up by like 5 guys left over from a Flagellant unit or whatever that just keep getting lucky on not getting hit. Skavenslaves might be complete poo poo, but Unbreakable Skavenslaves getting dropped into a ranged line would lead to them being an unreasonably powerful distraction for way too long.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Unbreakable would be really good but they need to not decay at the very least.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

Dang, looks like it makes too many recommendations for either of the big overhauls. Thanks for the recommendation though, I might use it for a non-overhaul run.

IMO Unbreakable units are far more useful than they seem because the combat engine can be real fussy at times, so you end up with units getting tied up by like 5 guys left over from a Flagellant unit or whatever that just keep getting lucky on not getting hit. Skavenslaves might be complete poo poo, but Unbreakable Skavenslaves getting dropped into a ranged line would lead to them being an unreasonably powerful distraction for way too long.

I mean unbreakable summoned Skavenslaves would be worse summoned zombies (lacking fear and having lower HP). And they'd still pretty rapidly decay.

Honestly it'd probably be a wash with what they have now

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

i don't run overhauls but have only run 2 successful campaigns with this mod: empire and helves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is there a decent general Unit Cap mod like the big overhauls implement, but stand alone? Something like "Two units of arty per arty building."

I think this was duscussed awhile ago, so apologies if so. Preferably just a faction wide one,