Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Even the Really Poor Decision and the Made Them Less Alien arguments are just subspecies of the Ruined My Childhood type argument. Worse case, she was indeed a monarchical individual leader of the Borg and all that means is that what you thought you knew about them was wrong. But that is doubtful given all we see.

This is much less a problem if you accept that she is a manifestation of the collective.

poo poo, she might be a manifestation of the Borg's collective unconscious. Not in the Freudian sense, obviously. Perhaps the queen phenomenon is repeated multiple times throughout the collective and are sort of a Borg psychosis that is able to give itself physical form and that is positive (or neutral) enough overall to leave be. Her actions would then both represent the collective and be an aberration within it. Sort of a viral borg meme that threatens to corrupt the collective.

The collective may have different warring directives going on within it all the time, sort of an evolution of ideas, and she represents one faction. A usurper queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bloop posted:

I think that they are alien and ineffable is more important than their facelessness. Just when you thought you understood them, there is a wrinkle.

I always took her as a simple embodiment of the collective consciousness. She is not an individual woman and she is not a leader, she IS the Borg, as she says

I also imagine the parallel processing power of a zillion linked borg brains is sufficient that they can be doing a number of different things at once, on different levels

Notwithstanding Voyager, I liked the Queen in FC

I think theres a real case to be made for this interpretation. After all, what is it the borg do more than anything else? Adapt. They already experimented with a more personal figurehead with "locutus of borg" when they wanted to overcome the federation defenses, I could see the collective will of the borg deciding to nominate a hierarchical figure when dealing with this group of species who have outwitted them in the past. Either thinking a more direct structure like the federation uses might be a successful tactic, or just that it would be the most useful way of getting control over data, who they couldn't just infect.

Of course, voyager... blah blah, and its still trying to do the heavy lifting for the writers. Either way, I loved the borg queen just because of how amazingly she was played, and the (at the time) amazing sequence of her introduction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean they made Picard the king of the borg

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

You know, rewatching that scene now, the queen straight up says she is the borg, and criticizes Data's attempts to understand her in human terms when he asks if shes the leader, or controls them. I really feel like, if VOY hadn't so consistently shat all over the borg and kept bringing back the queen and all this dumb poo poo, there wouldn't be nearly the complaints about an otherwise fantastically portrayed villain for a film. At the time, watching it in the theater it was a great reveal, everyone knew "we are the borg" routine, and so this character came out of nowhere shaking up the routine that had come to be expected from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMt3SzAH_i0

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm almost done plowing my way through Voyager. I'm on S7:E22 Homestead. This show got a LOT worse over the past couple of seasons. Most non-Doc/non-Seven episodes are loving awful.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cessna posted:

Best of Both Worlds seemed to pull it off pretty well.

Also, Dunkirk. You never see a German, just their planes bombing things or the like.

Let me rephrase:

"How do you do a dumb action movie with a faceless antagonist?"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After playing a bunch of Star Trek Bridge Crew with friends, I'm going to watch an entire Star Trek series for the first time. I selected the Next Generation. I'm 8 episodes in and enjoying it.

Previously I had only seen random episodes of different Trek series and movies (2,4, First Contact, Nemesis, and the Kelvin movies.) I also enjoyed Galaxy Quest and the Orville. Last night I learned people think Next Generation gets better when Riker grows a beard. What makes it better from season 2 onward? (and what Trek series should I avoid?)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

After playing a bunch of Star Trek Bridge Crew with friends, I'm going to watch an entire Star Trek series for the first time. I selected the Next Generation. I'm 8 episodes in and enjoying it.

Previously I had only seen random episodes of different Trek series and movies (2,4, First Contact, Nemesis, and the Kelvin movies.) I also enjoyed Galaxy Quest and the Orville. Last night I learned people think Next Generation gets better when Riker grows a beard. What makes it better from season 2 onward? (and what Trek series should I avoid?)

Gene Roddenberry dies and they also get over some hurdles like a writers strike

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The cast and writing gets more assured and confident, starting with season 2 of TNG but really hitting its stride and getting more good episodes than bad during season 3.

General recommendations, YMMV:

Avoid Voyager (particularly the latter half) and Enterprise unless you really love Star Trek. Avoid Discovery season 1 unless season 2 improves the show significantly, and even then only to get an idea of where they started. Watch the Discovery Short Treks. (They're not all great but they're not terrible, either.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pakled posted:

The birthday dinner plot is literally "nobody knows what Reed's favorite food is because he's so goddamn boring and unemotional, go find out what it is"

noone loves or has ever loved reed, not even his parents

I think the ultimate dunk on reed actually isn’t in that episode but a few weeks later, in the one where he and chuck tucker get stuck in a shuttle and are slowly freezing to death, and reed chooses to spend his last remaining hours recording identical farewell messages confessing his deep feelings to every woman he has ever met

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Gene Roddenberry was by the time TNG started up quite senile and was a terrible writer even when he had his wits about him. He and his lawyer exerted too much creative control over the first season, resulting in countless good ideas getting mothballed in favor of light retreads of TOS plots. His lawyer actually violated guild rules by secretly rewriting scripts, and it's unclear whether he did so at Roddenberry's direction. TNG was also working to find a consistent, competent voice in this time period, so early on you'll see shows about taming the dark continent and a left turn into scifi body horror with exploding heads.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zesty posted:

I don't watch Zombie shows or movies, but do they ever end up having a leader or some poo poo for the same reasoning?

No, but then the zombies themselves are rarely the main event. Usually it's more about the relationships between humans in the face of a world-ending disaster. If a zombie film needs a main antagonist, it's almost always a human who is either using the zombies somehow or has gone nuts and become a bigger threat than the walking dead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with the Borg Queen as used in FC as a direct antagonist created by the Collective specifically to seduce/tempt Data and Picard, or even as a rival for Janeway in Voyager. It’s all the retcons afterward where she’s apparently always been ruler of the Collective that damage the “alienness” of The Borg. Even the little flashback to BOBW in FC is fine if, again, you assume the Queen is only there to tempt Picard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with the Borg Queen as used in FC as a direct antagonist created by the Collective specifically to seduce/tempt Data and Picard, or even as a rival for Janeway in Voyager. It’s all the retcons afterward where she’s apparently always been ruler of the Collective that damage the “alienness” of The Borg. Even the little flashback to BOBW in FC is fine if, again, you assume the Queen is only there to tempt Picard.

Yeah, I took her to just be a specialized drone the Collective pulls out whenever they feel the illusion of interacting with a singular being is what the current situation calls for. She's no more an avatar of the Borg than any other drone, but sometimes it serves the Collective's purpose to have a face for others to interact with.

Why would the Borg feel any compunction against lying if it serves their purpose?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't even think its lying she say "i am the collective".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I personally like the idea that we are just not getting the relationship at all with our mammal brains, which is actually what she says, and which may or may not be a lie

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I personally like the idea that we are just not getting the relationship at all with our mammal brains, which is actually what she says, and which may or may not be a lie

I am guilty of thinking in three dimensional terms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whalley posted:

Fully agreed. I love First Contact, it's probably my favorite Star Trek movie, but taking it at any level beyond what you see in the movie turns the queen from a cool antagonist to a Really Poor Decision

Yeah. It's not a movie that stands up to a ton of analysis but it is a very good Star Trek action movie. Possibly the only one depending on what you consider action.

I can forgive not being deep as long as you're fun, and First Contact is a great watch. I appreciate TMP for being extremely Star Trek despite also being like watching paint dry. The Trek movies that both don't have much going on under the hood and are boring are the true turds.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

I personally like the idea that we are just not getting the relationship at all with our mammal brains

Meanwhile the Jarada are all "come on guys, this Borg queen thing is SO SIMPLE, what don't you get about it?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I mean they made Picard the king of the borg

They made Picard the spokesman of the Borg.

The Bloop posted:

I want to believe this but it really feels like a BSG "and they have a plan" situation and all the theorycrafting is relying on the fans to patch a hole the writers never figured on repairing themselves (and indeed by Voyager decided to crack open even further).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Heck, the Founders straight-up say "the drop becomes the ocean and the ocean becomes the drop." Borg Queen is exactly the same.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The writers can't know

They are writing an inscrutable alien other. That doesn't make it a problem as they aren't promising some future payoff

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Heck, the Founders straight-up say "the drop becomes the ocean and the ocean becomes the drop." Borg Queen is exactly the same.

Because the DS9 writers are straight-up better at coming up with lines like that that sound like there's a poetic, alien truth to them instead of ultradeep cyber-goth stingers from your teen Shadowrun campaign.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 18, 2019

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Spacebump posted:

Last night I learned people think Next Generation gets better when Riker grows a beard. What makes it better from season 2 onward?

They told you. The Beard.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1086050248684961792

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

^ "she" was there too, she was at Wolf359.

You think in such three dimensional terms.

Well, the collective itself was undamaged and we've seen multiple queens die

The borg from her sphere did all shut down when her drone/body died which was weird but apparently when they embody the collective, killing that body disrupts it locally. I guess there is a tradeoff there, but there is no requirement for them to be optimal or logical unlike every other form of life. Even a collective consciousness can make mistakes or poor judgement calls or suffer from hubris,

I figured the Queen was a strategy the Borg whipped up on the fly while on the Enrerprise to crack Data as another poster mentioned. the fact that when she dies it creates some sort if feedback loop to the collective was either unforseen or unavoidable risk due to the improvisational nature of the plan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am pretty thrilled that we get new episodes of Storm Truck: Delivery tonight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spacebump posted:

If you think the show is good in the first 8 episodes of TNG then you are in for a treat when it actually gets good.

The Bloop posted:

This smilie isn't for you. It's for hack writers that do this poo poo. :jerkbag:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 18, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The sound engineers on this show are loving amazing.

Pike is the best. "Where's my red thing!"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh is that back? Guess I'll watch it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Anyone who’s watched on Netflix, is there a S1 recap?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm watching the All Access version and there was a brief recap.

Pike's yellow looks really out of place and yet somehow very good on the Discovery bridge. Like he's the only thing that looks good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zesty posted:

Like he's the only thing that looks good.

Salty

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

So the Orville did the Klingon inside a human bit from disco...

Discuss

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's funny she (Orville) was even named Lt Tyler, and they knew people would figure it out so that just pulled the trigger in like the fifth scene she was ever in.

No rape flashbacks, random murder, threatening to genocide a planet, or cannibalism though, so it didn't really feel like a prestige drama

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 18, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You want to ease up on the Orville spoilers in the non-Orville thread, chief?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oops sorry

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

https://twitter.com/WarioDraghi/status/1086083817973186560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I guess I should remember not to read trek threads if I haven't seen the latest Orville yet.