Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
like when my last company was acquired i made like 30k from my options. after taxes i guess it was a nice vacation and a bit of savings

e: shameful snipe but w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pie Colony posted:

didn’t ratbert start his job relatively recently? and what is his equity exactly, stock options? congrats to the dude but lol at pretending he’s going to come out a millionaire from this

It's a weird relationship. I was with the company a few years ago when there were only 13 people, so there is the nepotism factor. Also I've been working with them for almost a full year again and equity is part of my contract.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
just...never forget where you came from. promise us.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
is ratberts hilarious previous job story already a year old?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

2018 was mercifully quick

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Almost, there are a few months of overlap where I was a W2 with both, but working for my new company while doing nothing at my previous.

Edit*
Back then I was seriously debating subcontracting my job to my guys, but I didn't want to give then a completed product.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
congratbert90

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ratbert fund my startup

alternatively make your own startup and hire me i'm a better employee than i am a poster

my posting gimmick is not caring but it's actually a cover for caring too much

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

ratbert fund my startup

alternatively make your own startup and hire me i'm a better employee than i am a poster

Do you know the Linux? And do you have the burning hatred of a million dying stars, all crying out at once towards PHP and Node?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ratbert90 posted:

Do you know the Linux? And do you have the burning hatred of a million dying stars, all crying out at once towards PHP and Node?

yes yes yes. all about the modern c++ atm i dont know how to do normal c it's full of dragons

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

yes yes yes. all about the modern c++ atm i dont know how to do normal c it's full of dragons

C is C++ friend, except classes are now structs and you should only use it if you are poking registers.
And even then only in Kernel land. Also there isn’t a rich standard library.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Does dev on the Linux mean the same thing as knowing the Linux?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

Does dev on the Linux mean the same thing as knowing the Linux?

Generally it’s a good idea, but not always.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ratbert90 posted:

C is C++ friend, except classes are now structs and you should only use it if you are poking registers.
And even then only in Kernel land. Also there isn’t a rich standard library.

i can read and write it but it feels like there's a very wide gulf between knowing C and being able to writte quality C. this is probably just an experience thing.

I suppose you can say the same thing for modern C++, but I feel like C++ is nudging me in the right direction whereas C is just saying "alright good luck!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

i can read and write it but it feels like there's a very wide gulf between knowing C and being able to writte quality C. this is probably just an experience thing.

I suppose you can say the same thing for modern C++, but I feel like C++ is nudging me in the right direction whereas C is just saying "alright good luck!"

C gives you a loaded gun and will sit back and smile as you point it at your face and pull the trigger.
Modern C++ does indeed try to protect you from that.
C++20 gonna be niiicee

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

C++20 gonna be niiicee

Not too loud

Some devs will fire back on how modern c++ is unreadable trash, then brag about how the software they write is too complex for unit tests.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
concepts are looking very good and are very needed imo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

concepts are looking very good and are very needed imo

It's a shame the networking stuff is being pushed back. :smith:

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

elite_garbage_man posted:

Not too loud

Some devs will fire back on how modern c++ is unreadable trash, then brag about how the software they write is too complex for unit tests.

“look in video game development we don’t have time for unit tests. if it looks like it works then it works”, my manager said as he hit “run” in visual studio 2010 and then refused to make eye contact with me as it immediately crashed from a pure virtual function exception.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i've always found C very easy to read/use but I also wrote a poo poo-ton of cross-platform C for quite a long time in a professional setting so i'm probably biased.

most C I write now is embedded stuff or linux kernel drivers, but i don't write much C anymore overall.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i guess these days, if you're writing (non-legacy) C the scope is probably small. with a few notable exceptions ofc.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Terrible DevOps:
My team is writing a new microservice for our cloud application, which is managed by the Indian team. As such, we want to make a build that matches production so we can run and modify it on our servers.

The Indian team is unable to provide me with a commit ID of our product that matches the production server.

The production server has a bunch of libraries that are newer than the libraries listed in the POM.xml. They insist this is OK. :allears:

Edit: This is the same Indian team that has 450+ branches and 2 Jenkins servers that are both broken.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 18, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

refactoring python at 10:30 pm on a friday :manning:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

“look in video game development we don’t have time for unit tests. if it looks like it works then it works”, my manager said as he hit “run” in visual studio 2010 and then refused to make eye contact with me as it immediately crashed from a pure virtual function exception.

this is amazing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ctps: i wrote some java today and it is much better than the python it's replacing, in that e.g. it actually does the right thing and reports certain types of problem immediately instead of doing the wrong thing and just kind of mostly working by accident

also it has enough tests that i actually have some confidence it is correct

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
grats on working yourself out of a job you silly goose

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

grats on working yourself out of a job you silly goose

You must be new. This is where he makes it dump a bunch of gibberish on the terminal while it runs in a loop.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
if you mean me then I haven’t told anyone at work yet, I can probably put my feet up for a week or two now and still come out looking competent and productive

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

if you mean me then I haven’t told anyone at work yet, I can probably put my feet up for a week or two now and still come out looking competent and productive

That's a seasoned professional move. Very nice!

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
tps: i spent the workday fixing a batch job, and in doing so accidentally marked one record to be sent to the wrong place in the federal government's system (I don't work for the feds, just communicate with them). I told the business analyst and he said he'd take care of it, so I hope that company trying to deny benefits to their employee gets to see our legal determination.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

I see the exact same effect on people with java streams and C# linq

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

make sure to emphasize how you’ll need to conduct a thorough investigation and porting effort to adopt new versions of java so you can bump the target version and post for a few weeks

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ratbert90 posted:

Terrible DevOps:
My team is writing a new microservice for our cloud application, which is managed by the Indian team. As such, we want to make a build that matches production so we can run and modify it on our servers.

The Indian team is unable to provide me with a commit ID of our product that matches the production server.

The production server has a bunch of libraries that are newer than the libraries listed in the POM.xml. They insist this is OK. :allears:

Edit: This is the same Indian team that has 450+ branches and 2 Jenkins servers that are both broken.

i think I posted about our shared libraries before but yeha our prod stuff had dlls that have no relation to what's in the source for the libs and the only other person that might have known where the gently caress they came from got made redundant so current process is "keep copying those dlls from app to app and don't touch anything!" nobody else seems to think this is an issue.

also i had to try and explain a rebase to our offshore team and said "look ill send you a step by step because I've got to do one" and about half way through realised that there's no loving way they would follow it and I was wasting my time

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Krankenstyle posted:

refactoring python at 10:30 pm on a friday :manning:
jeez, guys, it's right there in the thread title.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

jeez, guys, it's right there in the thread title.

i like bikeshedding my own code forever:shrug:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 19, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw, whats the pythonic way of reading a text file that you dont know the encoding of in advance?

especially when using argparse.FileType, which accepts an encoding argument

code:
	dictparser.add_argument('input', type=argparse.FileType('r', encoding='utf-8')) # what if its Windows-1252??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hmm this appears to work

code:
import chardet

def get_encoding(file):
	with open(file, 'rb') as f:
		detection = chardet.detect(f.read(1024*50))
		return detection['encoding']

class MyFileType(argparse.FileType):
	def __call__(self, string):
		if self._mode == 'r':
			self._encoding = get_encoding(string)
			return super().__call__(string)
		else:
code:
	dictparser.add_argument('input', type=MyFileType('r'))
feels hacky tho

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

hmm this appears to work

code:
import chardet

def get_encoding(file):
	with open(file, 'rb') as f:
		detection = chardet.detect(f.read(1024*50))
		return detection['encoding']

class MyFileType(argparse.FileType):
	def __call__(self, string):
		if self._mode == 'r':
			self._encoding = get_encoding(string)
		else:
code:
	dictparser.add_argument('input', type=MyFileType('r'))
feels hacky tho

depends how stereotypical the files are. what if the first 50kb is entirely ascii and then there's a curly quote after that? you still don't know how that will be encoded.

chardet is smarter than most heuristic approaches but it's still a heuristic so it will get things wrong sometimes. the only method that is guaranteed to work, if that matters, is to require the charset to be specified, either in another argument or in the file's header.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea, i should have an option for setting input file charset to override the detection

also i guess i could read 500kb instead, that shouldnt be too bad performance wise right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

stack that fuckin paper my dude