Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gavok posted:

At the event, The Miz and Daniel Pesina ran into each other and exchanged signed photos of themselves and that made my day.

Thanks! While I'm at it, here's my magnum opus where I ranked every MK character from worst to best.

How dare you place Kung Jin so high?

Also you glossed over the fact in story mode he is the loving worst to the plot, not even as in generic as in his personality is stupid hothead getting everyone killed. Oh and they wanted him to be really cool so he beats Kotal Kahn in a one on one duel without a problem making Kotal look stupid and trying to be look how badass Kung Jin is for his hotheaded ways! Poorly written obnoxious Gary sue.

Edit: yes 52 is high for Kung. I rank him alongside Reiko and Bo Rai Cho in the absolute pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Injustice 2 on PC was by QLOC, the same studio that unfucked MKX. They do a lot of stuff for Capcom, they did most versions of Dark Souls Remastered, etc.

Right. Should be all good then, phew.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NRS should combine all the half-baked and failed character designs of the PS2 era games into one fighter, Trihard.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Give me Mokap or I'm going to file a Komplaint

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I missed the live event and am just catching up on it now. Sub-Zero's new spine rip Fatality is flipping sick. :black101:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
By the way, if anyone is still playing MKX on either Steam or Xbox and fancies a few games, I am always up!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.pcgamer.com/mortal-kombat-11s-pc-port-should-be-much-better-than-mkxs-was/

QLOC's confirmed to be handling the PC version.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Minidust posted:

The line between fatality and super these days is whether a body part is removed, basically. Merely being stabbed, shot or impaled is painful but can be shaken off, like in real life.
So the Kombatants operate on Necromorph rules.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

At the event, The Miz and Daniel Pesina ran into each other and exchanged signed photos of themselves and that made my day.

Thanks! While I'm at it, here's my magnum opus where I ranked every MK character from worst to best.

Well at least Hsu Hao isn't the very worst. :smith:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Has there been any word on the Switch version?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Bumper Stickup posted:

Well at least Hsu Hao isn't the very worst. :smith:

He actually is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty good thread on twitter comparing something as small as Scorpion's new basic punch to his punch in MKX. A lot of the animation is definitely looking better in regards to keyframes and body weight being shifted into attacks

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1086134371013222401

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DLC Inc posted:

pretty good thread on twitter comparing something as small as Scorpion's new basic punch to his punch in MKX. A lot of the animation is definitely looking better in regards to keyframes and body weight being shifted into attacks

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1086134371013222401

Yeah I don’t think most of the people saying the animation sucks/is the same as always were actually paying attention. I noticed that it looked better as soon as I saw the game in action. You can really tell in the flow of a real match. There used to be this strange mix of oddly paced movement with jerky attacks, now it’s much more smooth and there’s weight behind everything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I don’t think most of the people saying the animation sucks/is the same as always were actually paying attention. I noticed that it looked better as soon as I saw the game in action. You can really tell in the flow of a real match. There used to be this strange mix of oddly paced movement with jerky attacks, now it’s much more smooth and there’s weight behind everything.

I haven't really seen any "punching over an invisible fence" stuff or things as stupid as Kitana's crouch kick from MKX yet but since things are moving pretty fast in the videos, only way to really tell is going to the lab and trying out every move. Injustice 2 had some really godawful animations from Firestorms, Captain Cold, Batman, and others---just from watching the pro matches with Baraka/Sonya/Skarlet it really does seem like more weight is behind blows and their bodies/limbs actually twist and heave as a normal person would. Of course there probably will still be some dumb animations but so far this is the biggest leap forward in the 5-game NRS series.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

One of my first thoughts was 'wow the animations are fantastic', I am baffled by the gripes

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The only issue I have, and the same I had with Injustice 2, is that when you allow players to customize every piece of clothing and armor on a character you usually end up with a mess that ruins what is unique about their design and silhouette.

But so far the alt armor pieces still seem like they conform to a central idea and not way over the top like most of the Street Fighter V DLC costumes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

What I like this time is that there are several "set skins" to each character so the kustomization won't go off the rails. Some characters like Scorpion/Baraka look like they have weird options for no hood or putting a big Shredder helmet on Baraka but you can still tell who's who mainly by stance or those bigass blades.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

One of my first thoughts was 'wow the animations are fantastic', I am baffled by the gripes

if you didn't like the series from the start then I doubt anything since MK9 has ever swayed anyone's opinion even as things like face tech/animations /technical options are improved on. Combine that with the outrageous directions the gore and violence is at and it's not likely to change any minds

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Will the netkode finally be decent this time please

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

What I like this time is that there are several "set skins" to each character so the kustomization won't go off the rails. Some characters like Scorpion/Baraka look like they have weird options for no hood or putting a big Shredder helmet on Baraka but you can still tell who's who mainly by stance or those bigass blades.

if you didn't like the series from the start then I doubt anything since MK9 has ever swayed anyone's opinion even as things like face tech/animations /technical options are improved on. Combine that with the outrageous directions the gore and violence is at and it's not likely to change any minds

I didn't have any problems with MKX or Injustice 2, but this looks like a step down to me. It could have just been the quality of the stream, though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Did you think this for MKX, MK9, Injustice or Injustice 2?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

pospysyl posted:

I didn't have any problems with MKX or Injustice 2, but this looks like a step down to me. It could have just been the quality of the stream, though.

The only thing I have a problem with is that MK11 seems to be bringing back that weird MK9 thing where a character who gets cherry-tapped or chipped out falls straight backward like a pushed-over mannequin. That could just as easily be due to this being an early build, though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

AndyElusive posted:

Did you think this for MKX, MK9, Injustice or Injustice 2?

MK11 is a massive step forward from all of those in the graphics and animations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
mk9 and injustice 1 look like poo poo. some stuff from mkx isnt too far from poo poo either.

I hope Geras has some actually good custom parts. hope there wont be high tech blobs that blend together like a large chunk of injustice 2 gear

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why does Geras bleed liquid detergent?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

mk9 and injustice 1 look like poo poo. some stuff from mkx isnt too far from poo poo either.

I hope Geras has some actually good custom parts. hope there wont be high tech blobs that blend together like a large chunk of injustice 2 gear

the faces were absolutely bad to awful until Injustice 2. Wonder Woman's entire face/neck in Injustice 1 was abhorrent.

AndyElusive posted:

Why does Geras bleed liquid detergent?

his whole face and some of his body have these weird cracks and seams like he's just pure energy wearing a plastic human costume so I assume it's because he's an elder god / energy being. same reason why Reptile bleeds green and poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DLC Inc posted:

his whole face and some of his body have these weird cracks and seams like he's just pure energy wearing a plastic human costume so I assume it's because he's an elder god / energy being. same reason why Reptile bleeds green and poo poo

I'm guessing he's a construct of some sort. Chronika, if I had to guess, is a goddess of time or something along those lines who's utterly fed up with people screwing with the timeline.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Extensive Customization look. Some really in-depth poo poo here. If you didn't like how many options were in the last game this probably won't be a plus for you but I love this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyYQPgJ4sI

Sonya looks way better here btw, especially with the other hairstyles and cool jackets.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DLC Inc posted:

Extensive Customization look. Some really in-depth poo poo here. If you didn't like how many options were in the last game this probably won't be a plus for you but I love this poo poo

Sonya looks way better here btw, especially with the other hairstyles and cool jackets.

:gizz: this game cant come out soon enough

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DLC Inc posted:

I love all this poo poo. Looks like that supposed Cassie reveal was probably just a Sonya variation though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

exquisite tea posted:

I love all this poo poo. Looks like that supposed Cassie reveal was probably just a Sonya variation though.

If Cassie isn't in this game because they wanted to use Sonya again, that is a terrible decision. She was a good new character, maybe the most fun addition to the franchise since Kenshi.

Which characters introduced after MK3 do people in this thread like?

Off the top of my head I liked; Quan Chi, Tanya, Bo Rai Cho, Frost, Kenshi, Mokap, Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda, Tri-borg, and Kung Jin.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 19, 2019

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Past mk3, you say?

I don't know what popular opinion on him is, but I really dig Kotal Kahn's character. His movelist felt a little lacking to me so if he's in mk11 seeing a round two and how they update him is an exciting prospect.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

brainSnakes posted:

Past mk3, you say?

I don't know what popular opinion on him is, but I really dig Kotal Kahn's character. His movelist felt a little lacking to me so if he's in mk11 seeing a round two and how they update him is an exciting prospect.

I was close to putting him on my list but his movelist is what kept him off. Probably should have put him there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kenshi, Takeda and Cassie gotta be my favorites of the post-MK3 characters. New Skarlet looks incredible, too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Movado, Quan Chi, Takeda Takashi, Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs, D'Vorah, Ferra/Tor, Kotal Kahn

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

I'm definitely a Clock Lesnar main

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I remember the developers were saying that it felt weirdly awkward to them to have family members executing each other in MKX, so it wouldn't surprise me that much if they relegated Cassie to DLC/NPC hell this time around.

Spacebump posted:

I liked playable Sareena, Cassie, Frost, Kenshi, the MK9 version of Smoke, Ashrah... I appreciate Ferra/Torr's design, but didn't care to play as them.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Derek and other NRS folk have come out multiple times saying the main design for MK11 is to turn the series into a neutral heavy, footsies based game and honestly I am over the moon for it. Not to say there wasn't footsies before in say, MKX, but it was heavily based on your character choice (like Kotal, Cassie) and for the most part everyone elses win condition was coinflip blenders.

Also:

https://twitter.com/Rooflemonger/status/1086393183746052101

Mustache Kano is coming yall

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Wanderer posted:

I remember the developers were saying that it felt weirdly awkward to them to have family members executing each other in MKX, so it wouldn't surprise me that much if they relegated Cassie to DLC/NPC hell this time around.

I liked playable Sareena, Cassie, Frost, Kenshi, the MK9 version of Smoke, Ashrah... I appreciate Ferra/Torr's design, but didn't care to play as them.

Honestly, with how much Netherrealm has been cutting away at the skeevier aspects of MK, I wouldn't be surprised it at some point they made fatalities opt-in instead. Not full on "enter the Sega Genesis blood code to pass" levels of cleaning up the franchise, but making it so you could toggle whether you wanted to see them or not.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why would they add a fatality toggle and then add five other totally-not-fatalities per match?

Also, why's this game so goddamned slow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, why's this game so goddamned slow?

Cause the games much slower on purpose to be more about footsies and neutral. That and nobody knows what the hell to do yet so they are doing poo poo and stupid stuff.