Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Myron Baloney posted:

Am I wrong that a truck & trailer that has total weight like 25x a model 3 would need 25x the batteries? Where are the goddamn batteries on that fake rear end thing?

It gets its energy from the luminoferous aether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCv_Ha0oWjE

designed in the desert

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Where's that "Elon Invents poo poo" Russian blog when you want it the most?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

hail satan

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Myron Baloney posted:

Am I wrong that a truck & trailer that has total weight like 25x a model 3 would need 25x the batteries? Where are the goddamn batteries on that fake rear end thing?

Don't worry, it just needs to use 5 supercharger slots to charge up. Not going to be a problem

https://electrek.co/2018/12/13/tesla-semi-black-prototype-supercharger/

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

3 posted:

hail satan

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genderfluent posted:

Don't worry, it just needs to use 5 supercharger slots to charge up. Not going to be a problem

this is so loving stupid it’s actually amazing

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Didn't that Rich Rebuilds video also talk about the Model S trunk flooding being a common issue?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

3 posted:

hail satan

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Genderfluent posted:

At this point it would be more feasible to place the Tesla truck onto a diesel car carrier carrier.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Genderfluent posted:

That clearance in front seems... very little.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gschmidl posted:

That clearance in front seems... very little.

you won't care

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
i made a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Myron Baloney posted:

Not quite. I dunno about the States but in most Eurotrucks cruise at ~100km/h (60mph) so your relative aerodrag will be lower and also the efficiency of scale will be generally in your favour. Still a fuckton of batteries and garbage range compared to any other truck.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The reaction is just perfect

Shiiiiit

I take "the noise you make when you realise you wasted over 100000 dollars on an automotive dud."

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope other people make an electric semi soon tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's a reason they don't and it's because it's a terrible idea for most of the things you use a semi for, with the exception of yard vehicles, and lo, they do already make electric versions of those

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
conceptually, it's very stupid (like most of musk's brilliant ideas), because the energy density of lithium batteries is so much lower than that of diesel, you need shitloads more weight to even approach the range and capacity of a regular semi. at which point you're starting to hit the weight limits of the vehicle, and you have to start reducing cargo capacity. and no matter what kind of charging infrastructure you have, waiting 8+ hours to charge your vehicle is a nonstarter.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Thank you for introducing me to the AM/FM analogy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3 posted:

hail satan

hohoho merry satanmas! to everyone!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Morphix posted:

and just like that the tesla cult lays down the hard but necessary truths

brilliant

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
we should close the thread now that were on the best page

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sir Tonk posted:

we should close the thread now that were on the best page

hold up, the thing about musk pages is that they will only get better

e: love the pages

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

infernal machines posted:

conceptually, it's very stupid (like most of musk's brilliant ideas), because the energy density of lithium batteries is so much lower than that of diesel, you need shitloads more weight to even approach the range and capacity of a regular semi. at which point you're starting to hit the weight limits of the vehicle, and you have to start reducing cargo capacity. and no matter what kind of charging infrastructure you have, waiting 8+ hours to charge your vehicle is a nonstarter.

it *would* be pretty funny though if they made the semi and it weighed so much that it couldnt actually tow anything

youd have a bunch of rich idiots buying them to drive around LA and show off probably

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sir Tonk posted:

it *would* be pretty funny though if they made the semi and it weighed so much that it couldnt actually tow anything

youd have a bunch of rich idiots buying them to drive around LA and show off probably

:pray:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Teal posted:

Not quite. I dunno about the States but in most Eurotrucks cruise at ~100km/h (60mph) so your relative aerodrag will be lower and also the efficiency of scale will be generally in your favour. Still a fuckton of batteries and garbage range compared to any other truck.

This semi is not (or should not be) for long-haul transcontinental trucking. Its for short haul or drayage use, where there’s a lot of stop-start and not cruising at high speed.

Also, in Europe trucks are actually speed-limited. Here in the US interstate trucks will routinely drive at 70-80mph, not 90km/h.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

drgitlin posted:

Also, in Europe trucks are actually speed-limited. Here in the US interstate trucks will routinely drive at 70-80mph, not 90km/h.

Thats just mind boggling. The amount of extra fuel you need to propel an aerodynamic brick wall (truck) at those speeds is rediculous and the time difference is marginal.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

After watching donoteat's video, I propose "2020 will be the year of Tesla in the tunnel".

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Combat Theory posted:

Thats just mind boggling. The amount of extra fuel you need to propel an aerodynamic brick wall (truck) at those speeds is rediculous and the time difference is marginal.

Some trucks in the US are governed to 60mph. hell, my brother is a trucker and his truck is governed. it depends on the company though, not any government regulation.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lmao
https://mobile.twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1086639424765657088

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Theory posted:

:shrug: fuel costs a fraction of what it does in Europe, so eh punch it

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

infernal machines posted:

there's a reason they don't and it's because it's a terrible idea for most of the things you use a semi for, with the exception of yard vehicles, and lo, they do already make electric versions of those

yeah, this is wrong. I drove an electric Freightliner Cascadia two weeks ago. Lots of companies are building electric heavy duty vehicles, but no one is targeting long-haul (and none of the companies that have given ‘ol Musky money for his semi are planning on using them for long-haul (unless they are very stupid).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

It’s almost as stupid as thinking it’s a good idea to make electric cars drive through a tunnel at 155mph instead of 55mph.

Big trucks here don’t even have anti-submarining protection under their trailers like they do in Europe.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

amazing that even though they don't own one they had to include the obligatory love the car, though

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

drgitlin posted:

It’s almost as stupid as thinking it’s a good idea to make electric cars drive through a tunnel at 155mph instead of 55mph.

Big trucks here don’t even have anti-submarining protection under their trailers like they do in Europe.

mmhhhh tasty

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

drgitlin posted:

yeah, this is wrong. I drove an electric Freightliner Cascadia two weeks ago. Lots of companies are building electric heavy duty vehicles, but no one is targeting long-haul (and none of the companies that have given ‘ol Musky money for his semi are planning on using them for long-haul (unless they are very stupid).

what's the average range and how are they dealing with charge time issues?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

shovelbum posted:

I hope other people make an electric semi soon tho

over the road trucking can never be taken over by electric tractors. short range transport would be fine, though, and it looks like tesla is getting into that. i think i also saw in this thread that Volvo was selling a bunch of electric garbage trucks to Sweden or something. in general, municipal fleet vehicles seem like good target for electric vehicles manufacturers since you also get to bundle maintenance and charging and solar/whatever with it.

before i knew how bugfuck crazy musk is i was surprised that tesla didn't go with the fleet vehicle route since it'd be a goddamn cash cow and steady income/orders, but looking at it he'd never have been able to fulfill those orders anyway.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

US trucks are supposed to have trailer underride guards, just.. lots of them don't and they're only on the rear and they kinda suck.