Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Hollismason posted:

I think its the whole frank and beans

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1086685634050359296?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That movie looks like rear end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

That movie looks like rear end.

Oh it is

But you gotta take your castrations where you get them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m thankful YouTube exists to just get to the meat and potato’s of these things.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Carrie 2 is better than the Carrie remake which tells you how bad the Carrie remake is and Carrie 2 is loving terrible. I just showed you the only good 10 seconds of that entire film.

Which brings up the age old question, if horror has that one memorable scene does it make the film worthwhile?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw the end the of that one, and it was poo poo trash. I hate bad cynical horror movies more than anything because horror is such a great genre for sincere and honest works, good or bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

Carrie 2 is better than the Carrie remake which tells you how bad the Carrie remake is and Carrie 2 is loving terrible. I just showed you the only good 10 seconds of that entire film.

Which brings up the age old question, if horror has that one memorable scene does it make the film worthwhile?

I never saw the remake but holy cow if it's worse than The Rage: Carrie 2 I doubt I ever will. Though I didn't like, DESPISE Carrie 2, it was just wasn't very good.

Wasn't there an attempt at a Carrie TV pilot a couple of times too as well as a made for TV movie in like 2009 or something? What a weird property.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

I don’t think so. Like I mentioned it a couple of days ago, but I rewatched Ghost Ship because it popped up on Netflix, and although it has a stellar and memorable opening sequence the rest of the film is a boring slog with the hilarious exception of when it inexplicably starts blasting Mudvayne right as it hits the credits.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

I never saw the remake but holy cow if it's worse than The Rage: Carrie 2 I doubt I ever will. Though I didn't like, DESPISE Carrie 2, it was just wasn't very good.

Wasn't there an attempt at a Carrie TV pilot a couple of times too as well as a made for TV movie in like 2009 or something? What a weird property.

The one with Angela Bettis? It wasn't bad for what it was.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I’m thankful YouTube exists to just get to the frank and beans of these things.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The Prowler's a real middle of the road slasher, but the Jersey vibes make it worth it. Also, the gore is straight-up nasty. Tom Savini flexing so hard he should make a workout tape.

Real glad Shudder actually lists what's leaving so I can fill some gaps.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
really just posting to make sure my new spooky avatar looks good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please change back that is too scary.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

You must have never seen the unrated version.

this made my day. thankyou!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Has anyone ever watched the Shining miniseries? They talked about it briefly on Supercontext and made it sound like it was made exclusively to cater to King’s ego.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Bad cgi aside, yeah, and it sucks. It's hard for Steven Webber to come off as really threatening, TV movies always feel neutered and this is no exception, and the kid who plays Danny has a weird rear end face.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mods still never gave me a loving gnar evil bong avatar but im not bitter

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Someone quick photoshop trump onto the poster for Head of the Family

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Has anyone ever watched the Shining miniseries? They talked about it briefly on Supercontext and made it sound like it was made exclusively to cater to King’s ego.

when i was a kid i saw some of the hedge animal sequence, which is one of my favourites from the book, and it freaked me out a bit. hedge animals come to life is terrifyin'

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Prowler's a real middle of the road slasher, but the Jersey vibes make it worth it. Also, the gore is straight-up nasty. Tom Savini flexing so hard he should make a workout tape.

Real glad Shudder actually lists what's leaving so I can fill some gaps.

I’d argue it’s definitely above average for a slasher, but only because there’s A LOT of really bad slashers

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Coffee And Pie posted:

from what i've heard, it's closer to the book than the movie is (i've never read the book). it's not horrible, but a lot of it seemed like what you would get it Lifetime took a shot at making a horror movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Shining TV Series is not good. Like its a more direct adaptation of the novel which is what King wanted and it just really falls totally flat. Peformances, special effects, directing. It's just not a good series at all.

Kings adaptations almost always work better when they're not as close to the source material especially the 80s novels.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if you're someone bothered that Kubrick made his own film then you might get something out of the miniseries since its a more faithful adaption. But its objectively worse than Kubrick's and in general is one of the weakest of those King minis.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I love Spooky Steve, but if memory serves the full title of the miniseries (as is depicted on the DVD cover at least) is Stephen King’s The Shining, with is just lol-levels of petty.

The mini is technically closer to the book, but still leaves out some stuff. And it’s pretty hilarious how it’s meant to be a “definitive” adaption, but shot to be broadcast on basic cable, which uh, ain’t the tone of the book.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

Not horror but when I think about castrations I go straight to Sin City. Bruce Willis ripping off that yellow dingus was hard core

"I took away his weapons, both of them."

I can still remember the laughter and cheers from the first time I saw that in the theater.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fart City posted:

I love Spooky Steve, but if memory serves the full title of the miniseries (as is depicted on the DVD cover at least) is Stephen King’s The Shining, with is just lol-levels of petty.
I think that's just a thing of the miniseries. I have Storm of the Century, The Stand, and Rose Red all on DVD and they all have "Stephen King's" in the title.

I own a lot of Stephen King.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a pretty great moment. Probably the wokest frank miller ever was

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I saw The Shining mini-series when it aired and it's insanely lame and bad on every level though it is technically more accurate to the book. That was the beginning of the a long range of not very good Stephen King made for TV mini-series (though IIRC The Stand is still alright).

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The Stand gets a lot of mileage out of having a really stellar cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Shining for TV is basically the Lifetime channel adaptation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Stand has a remarkable cast and a lot of great elements but its loooong and doesn't age tremendously well. I still like it but I loved the book as a kid. So its just got a nostalgic thing for me.

Storm of the Century is the King mini of that era that I actually really liked and have watched a bunch of times. Its moody and kind of twisted. Its got all the usual King stuff, good and bad. Its a little long and there's more characters than you can care about. But the combination of the claustrophobic and dark blizzard atmosphere and the typical King evil demon/god loving with people and demanding hosed up things works for me.

The Shining is bad. Tommy Knockers gets some mileage out of how weird it is, but its bad. Langoliers is one I always forget everything about and then start rewatching and then say "Oh, I remember this, it sucked." I saw Rose Red when it first aired and thought there was stuff I liked but that it never came together. Its probably just a mediocre Haunted House story but I keep meaning to rewatch it. I own Bag of Bones and Kingdom Hospital on King compilation DVDs but have never gotten around to seeing them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

STAC Goat posted:

The Stand has a remarkable cast and a lot of great elements but its loooong and doesn't age tremendously well. I still like it but I loved the book as a kid. So its just got a nostalgic thing for me.

Storm of the Century is the King mini of that era that I actually really liked and have watched a bunch of times. Its moody and kind of twisted. Its got all the usual King stuff, good and bad. Its a little long and there's more characters than you can care about. But the combination of the claustrophobic and dark blizzard atmosphere and the typical King evil demon/god loving with people and demanding hosed up things works for me.

The Shining is bad. Tommy Knockers gets some mileage out of how weird it is, but its bad. Langoliers is one I always forget everything about and then start rewatching and then say "Oh, I remember this, it sucked." I saw Rose Red when it first aired and thought there was stuff I liked but that it never came together. Its probably just a mediocre Haunted House story but I keep meaning to rewatch it. I own Bag of Bones and Kingdom Hospital on King compilation DVDs but have never gotten around to seeing them.

Kingdom Hospital isn't really a King story, he just translated Lars von Trier's Riget into America and added a self-insert. It's worth watching anyway.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tommyknockers is King's worst "heydey" book, fight me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Tommyknockers scared the poo poo out of me for some reason, when I rewatched it as an adult I couldn’t figure out why.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its got some weird and creepy imagery. Like everyone getting "sucked dry" and falling apart and getting emaciated and pulling teeth out. I just can't remember there being much of a story or good payoff.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Drunkboxer posted:

The Tommyknockers scared the poo poo out of me for some reason, when I rewatched it as an adult I couldn’t figure out why.

The adaption came out during your primo early-nineties alien pop culture resurgence alongside X-Files, Fire In The Sky, and so on. I think if you were of a certain age, all that poo poo kind of merged together into a tapestry of creepy. Going back to it as an adult, you're just not in that zeigeist anymore, and it all comes off a bit silly.

STAC Goat posted:

Its got some weird and creepy imagery. Like everyone getting "sucked dry" and falling apart and getting emaciated and pulling teeth out. I just can't remember there being much of a story or good payoff.

Not really. It's just kind of slow and plodding and features a lot of the nadir of Kingisms, between the alcoholic poet and ticking time bomb town element.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Fart City posted:

The adaption came out during your primo early-nineties alien pop culture resurgence alongside X-Files, Fire In The Sky, and so on. I think if you were of a certain age, all that poo poo kind of merged together into a tapestry of creepy. Going back to it as an adult, you're just not in that zeigeist anymore, and it all comes off a bit silly.

Not really. It's just kind of slow and plodding and features a lot of the nadir of Kingisms, between the alcoholic poet and ticking time bomb town element.

I honestly just think it was the stupid dolls that got me, to be honest.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Man Jack Palance's Dracula performance comes off like a sad old lech.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
It gets a ton of flack, and I know it was during his cocaine phase, but Maximum Overdrive loving rocks. The Mist is probably his best film adaptation aside from The Shining, right? I should go back and finish watching that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love the Mist (film) but like... Carrie, Pet Sematary, Dolores Clairborne, Christine, Misery, Dark Half, Cujo, Needful Things, Creepshow, Needful Things, Night Flyer, It (2017), Graveyard Shift.. ok, i might be stretching now. Point is there's a lot more quality to choose from in the films than the minis. And that's without even going into the non-Horror stuff like Green Mile, Shawshank, and Stand By Me.

Carrie for my money is the best King adaption, even over Shining. Pet Sematary wouldn't be that far behind those two.

The Mist series is however complete garbage and has absolutely nothing to do with the King story.