Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Shroomie posted:

The beer delivery dudes at my last bar hated us. Even if we were their last stop, they would still regularly show up at 11AM when there wouldn't be anyone there to take the order until 2:30PM.

My beer guys were always on point, but holy poo poo did the first liquor company always screw up. I was full time in college at the same time while running clubs, so I was always very clear about when I could accept deliveries (we were only open 3 nights per week, plus I'd be there 2 additional days for the weekly deep clean and to accept deliveries). We finally fired them after they missed the window 3 weeks in a row and changed to another one, who was great. I think I finally heard from the original company about a month later wondering why we hadn't placed an order in so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Shroomie posted:

The beer delivery dudes at my last bar hated us. Even if we were their last stop, they would still regularly show up at 11AM when there wouldn't be anyone there to take the order until 2:30PM.

It's also fun times when you're on a new route you haven't done before so all you can do is follow the order they routed you in and learn later what times people are open for delivery or not. :eng101: Or that they can take you during lunch. Or that they can't.

I remember one guy told a story about how his was so hosed up that he was going to get to a place that opens at 9 at like 6, so he had to spend an hour in the warehouse re-loading his truck just to skip all his morning stops.

Regularly getting to the last stop at 11 when yopu get there 3.5 hours later sounds like free money sitting to me.

Hey guys, what is the design feature of freezers and coolers that are really narrow having a ledge to get up inside of them? I really need to know.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 17, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IIRC it's to keep cold air in. Cold air drops, so a couple inches of ledge will help limit loss when opening the door.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shroomie posted:

when did you open? i was usually accepting food deliveries, not alcohol, but i know i was also coming in a couple hours early when we got a delivery. it was the days that they came late that hosed us, seeing as how the owner was a huge fan of just in time delivery "to maximize cash flow opportunities"

AdorableStar posted:

It's also fun times when you're on a new route you haven't done before so all you can do is follow the order they routed you in and learn later what times people are open for delivery or not. :eng101: Or that they can take you during lunch. Or that they can't.

I remember one guy told a story about how his was so hosed up that he was going to get to a place that opens at 9 at like 6, so he had to spend an hour in the warehouse re-loading his truck just to skip all his morning stops.

Regularly getting to the last stop at 11 when yopu get there 3.5 hours later sounds like free money sitting to me.

i once had a driver covering a route on short notice tell me his next stop was at a nearby mall and desperately ask me if i know where the loading docks were. it gave me the impression that there was another industry as stupid as mine

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

"to maximize cash flow opportunities"

gently caress anyone that says this.

Story time goons!

So I had been working on a 70+ hour week for the most part all last year. Took 3 days off for xmas to visit my family, come back and get fired(justified). Okay regroup get another job. Still doin 3 at this point. Have a buddy stay with me for a week and we both start drinking. Get fired from everywhere and get a 5 day medical detox in a nut house. I cant do it anymore I keep having breakdowns from working in restaurants. Granted this was the worst, but this is the cycle. I have a week and a half to get my rent money together $400 or so or Im starting the hosed snowball down the hill. I got the resume polished and hail maryed it to the one job I want that I think I can walk into. If I dont hear back Friday I will have a week. I have a few ideas here and there but nothing concrete. Except. Another restaurant. I could pair it half time with another job at a Dollar Tree. It would involve begging an old coworker amd getting the DT job, but I just dont know what to do. Asking for the money is out of the question from friends/family. I dont know what to do and I just had to vent on the internet.

Edit:
I was sober 9m before and this relapse was a combination of bad factors most have been eliminated. Sober again and definitely plan to stay that way. As fun as it is watching someone draw on their face, Im cool.

ApolloSuna fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 18, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My friend, your problem isn't the industry, so much as it is your clear as day substance abuse and mental health issues.

I wish I had better suggestions on where to come up with the money, but my best one is somehow go back in time and don't go on a loving week-long bender and get blackballed out of three four jobs in a month. :stare:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ApolloSuna posted:

gently caress anyone that says this.

Story time goons!

So I had been working on a 70+ hour week for the most part all last year. Took 3 days off for xmas to visit my family, come back and get fired(justified). Okay regroup get another job. Still doin 3 at this point. Have a buddy stay with me for a week and we both start drinking. Get fired from everywhere and get a 5 day medical detox in a nut house. I cant do it anymore I keep having breakdowns from working in restaurants. Granted this was the worst, but this is the cycle. I have a week and a half to get my rent money together $400 or so or Im starting the hosed snowball down the hill. I got the resume polished and hail maryed it to the one job I want that I think I can walk into. If I dont hear back Friday I will have a week. I have a few ideas here and there but nothing concrete. Except. Another restaurant. I could pair it half time with another job at a Dollar Tree. It would involve begging an old coworker amd getting the DT job, but I just dont know what to do. Asking for the money is out of the question from friends/family. I dont know what to do and I just had to vent on the internet.

Edit:
I was sober 9m before and this relapse was a combination of bad factors most have been eliminated. Sober again and definitely plan to stay that way. As fun as it is watching someone draw on their face, Im cool.

Are you in a decent size metro area? Go apply to work a helpdesk somewhere, it's a job that generally requires no experience beyond recognizing the basic functions of a computer. The work sucks, your customers will suck, the pay isn't great, BUT - it's relatively stable (especially compared to the service industry) and if you're willing to work in the trenches for awhile and learn on the job, there will be opportunity for advancement every 12-18 months (or less!) for at least the first several years, either internally or hopping to a new company. You'd be surprised how many long time industry folks (especially BoH) make that exact same move. It's not exactly exciting, but it'll keep your bills paid - and is more likely to have things like health insurance and a retirement account.

Liquid Communism posted:

My friend, your problem isn't the industry, so much as it is your clear as day substance abuse and mental health issues.

I wish I had better suggestions on where to come up with the money, but my best one is somehow go back in time and don't go on a loving week-long bender and get blackballed out of three four jobs in a month. :stare:

Yeah, but this is an industry that is rife with substance abuse and mental health. It's an easy, easy trap to fall into if you already have an addictive personality.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ApolloSuna posted:

Edit:

Dang buddy. Stay strong, we're rooting for you. Also, stay hydrated. The one thing I learned from a few recovering alcoholics I had a two week enforced vacation with is that hydrating is key. Soda Water with Lime or Cranberry was (and is) like gold.

Or it just mighta been that one lady. Either way, I love soda water now.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey friends. So I've been approached about doing some recipe development for a company that makes a processed base ingredient (think like a specific fruit puree or a specialized oil or something like that). The recipes wouldn't be used for mass production or anything, basically just something they can put on their website/in marketing stuff to show what can be done with the product. I'd basically be responsible for writing up the ingredient list/recipe for a suitable sized batch of whatever (1-4 servings at a time kind of thing) and then potentially (not always, this part might be done by someone else) actually making the dish for photos (the photography would be taken care of by their marketing company, who are the people asking me to do this). I'm totally comfortable with the recipe development side of things, and it's actually a product I've used before so I've even got some old already-done recipes I can pull from/alter. My question is, what the gently caress do I charge for this? It seems like they're looking to do a freelance-style thing where they just pay me a flat amount per recipe (they would be shipping me as much of their product as I'd need). Does anyone else have experience doing things like this, or have any idea what an industry standard would be? I'm Canadian so I know numbers might be a little different if you're doing this in NYC or something, but any help would be appreciated.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I generally get paid $500 per cocktail recipe (R&D, writing, making for photoshoot, double if I’m being photographed or interviewed in the shoot) but I am in SF/have the clout to charge that. At first read of your post, I would say $100 might be appropriate per recipe since you’re doing a few of them and specialty food companies probably doing have the money that LVMH does.

PS I get to quit my job on Saturday! It’s been a while coming and is much needed. Then I wait to hear if I got my sweet sweet brand job with a 30% increase in pay, big budget and bonuses. If not, I freelance for a few months, finally rest and recharge and travel with my boo. I feel an immense amount of relief.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Naelyan posted:

Hey friends. So I've been approached about doing some recipe development for a company that makes a processed base ingredient (think like a specific fruit puree or a specialized oil or something like that). The recipes wouldn't be used for mass production or anything, basically just something they can put on their website/in marketing stuff to show what can be done with the product. I'd basically be responsible for writing up the ingredient list/recipe for a suitable sized batch of whatever (1-4 servings at a time kind of thing) and then potentially (not always, this part might be done by someone else) actually making the dish for photos (the photography would be taken care of by their marketing company, who are the people asking me to do this). I'm totally comfortable with the recipe development side of things, and it's actually a product I've used before so I've even got some old already-done recipes I can pull from/alter. My question is, what the gently caress do I charge for this? It seems like they're looking to do a freelance-style thing where they just pay me a flat amount per recipe (they would be shipping me as much of their product as I'd need). Does anyone else have experience doing things like this, or have any idea what an industry standard would be? I'm Canadian so I know numbers might be a little different if you're doing this in NYC or something, but any help would be appreciated.

MAKENOBABBYS would probably be your best bet on this, though she's on the bar side - I have no idea how much higher (or lower) the money is on the food side of things. I'm mostly mentioning this because I don't think she checks this thread that often, may be worth PMing. Just for some more info, how many recipes are they asking for?

Edit: hahahaha she beat me to it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

PS I get to quit my job on Saturday! It’s been a while coming and is much needed. Then I wait to hear if I got my sweet sweet brand job with a 30% increase in pay, big budget and bonuses. If not, I freelance for a few months, finally rest and recharge and travel with my boo. I feel an immense amount of relief.

Whoooooooooooooooo I Hope if you’re coming to the dark side it’s with us, but I don’t think so. Fingers crossed either way!

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Do ittttt. Dunno what it pays tho. I have a bomb pizza dough recipe Id love to sell to someone tho.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

I appreciate it, thanks. I've spoken with a few other friends in the area (including one I hadn't talked to in a while that's apparently been doing specifically this on occasion lately) so I've got a pretty good idea now! Also, congrats on the job change, I hope that works out how you're hoping.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nice!

Out of curiosity, if you're willing to share, what did you decide was reasonable?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

It was mostly the dudes from the smaller distributors that bitched because they still had a 1.5 hour drive back to the warehouse in the middle of nowhere. But yeah, I wouldn't mind getting paid to play with my phone. Maybe they got a poo poo hourly rate.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when did you open? i was usually accepting food deliveries, not alcohol, but i know i was also coming in a couple hours early when we got a delivery. it was the days that they came late that hosed us, seeing as how the owner was a huge fan of just in time delivery "to maximize cash flow opportunities"

3PM. It was just a small craft beer bar that took like 15 minutes to be operational from the time I walked in the door. If the owner would have asked I probably could have ran up there to take the delivery since I lived the closest, but he never asked and I wasn't making enough to offer.

Yeah, it was always great when they would be on the opposite end of the spectrum and show up at 7PM with piss warm kegs that I couldn't tap for a day or two.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

anyone know of any spots opening up in south western ohio?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Nice!

Out of curiosity, if you're willing to share, what did you decide was reasonable?

I'm waiting to hear back from them about a few details (I'm assuming they'll want ownership of the recipes, and how many they'll want/how much direction they'll be giving me as to what they want made), but I'm thinking if it's 4 or less at a time, $125/per, or $100/per for 5+. That's basically $60/hour with a few bucks thrown in for materials. We'll see what they say. Maybe knock a few bucks off if they're willing to throw my name at the end of the recipes since this is kind of my first gig doing this for some place other than a business I already work for.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

ptkfvk posted:

anyone know of any spots opening up in south western ohio?

Are you close to Cincy and what sort of thing are you looking for?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What's the deal with "professional managers" who seem to have an entire career of working on opening restaurants for the first 10-12 months then flitter off to somehow getting to open another restaurant just as their last place burns down and turns out to have never made a penny?

I want in on this racket.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
They're called head hunters if I'm remembering right. Most of them work for corporate chain places and lucked into the position or they know somebody.

Every single one I've ever met has been a sleezy middle aged white guy.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Head hunters are generally people who make a job out of finding talent, finding people to fill roles. When I get an email from some random dude in Vancouver (when I work in Ontario) telling me about a position that I'd 'just be perfect for!', that's a headhunter. What he's talking about is just a lovely manager that worked somewhere long enough once to have management experience on their resume, and now leverages a good-looking resume to chain through jobs and leave just before everyone figures out that they're actually poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ApolloSuna posted:

I was a functional alcoholic at a few bar manager jobs from 2006 - 2009. Then one day in March 2009, my then-wife and my best friend had me tossed in the psych ward on a 72-hour civil commitment, and I voluntarily entered intensive outpatient treatment. The day I went home from the hospital, I called my boss at the bar job I was working at the time and quit on the spot.

Long story short, get the gently caress out of the industry. The pay is poo poo, management abuses the gently caress out of its labor, and the stress levels are through the roof. All of that is a recipe to relapse again and again. Have the courage to change the things you can. And hang in there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Wife got a better offer in Seattle than Tokyo, so we'll be moving to Seattle in March. I want to live in Seattle proper for the first year, where should I live for ~$1000-1200/mo? That doesn't include any utilities. If we like our first year we'll look for a house in one of the burbs.

I'll more than likely be moving to the Fairmont up there, unless someone in here is looking for a sous/CDC.

Not having to deal with transport of epileptic dog and the complete lack of ADHD meds in Japan is a huuuuuge burden off my shoulders.

e: substance abuse: I've struggled with it, and the only way you can make it in this industry without falling into it over and over again is to give yourself value. As soon as you let your boss/company/whatever take advantage of you and use you as a tool for their success, you will more than likely relapse. You are a human being with skill and talent they don't have, that's why they need you. That's your leverage and your value, never forget that, and don't let them forget it either.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 20, 2019

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Wife got a better offer in Seattle than Tokyo, so we'll be moving to Seattle [...] where should I live for ~$1000-1200/mo?

No, that sure as poo poo will not include utilities

E: trying hard not to poo poo post, but unless I'm missing something here...

"One bedroom apartments in Seattle rent for $1934 a month on average (a 0.78% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $2698 (a 0.15% increase from last year)"

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 20, 2019

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

where should I live for ~$1000-1200/mo?

30 miles from the nearest city probably.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I forgot to take into account raises/cost of living increases, so like $1800-2200.

Thought about living in one of the suburbs, but I absolutely hate commuting, and higher rent is absolutely worth being close to work for me.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
As someome that lives in Dallas, Im so glad I live in the city itself. The food scene is better cause all the burbs in DFW are like chain restaurants and offshoots. Dallas food scene is weird, but if you want to cook instead of prep and reheat, city proper is the way to go. Have you thought about what your going to do for a job CdC? Find a whatever job or look for something craft or what? It would take some digging but I got a buddies sister that works there. I can reach out if you want.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Transferring within Fairmont for now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ApolloSuna posted:

As someome that lives in Dallas, Im so glad I live in the city itself. The food scene is better cause all the burbs in DFW are like chain restaurants and offshoots. Dallas food scene is weird, but if you want to cook instead of prep and reheat, city proper is the way to go. Have you thought about what your going to do for a job CdC? Find a whatever job or look for something craft or what? It would take some digging but I got a buddies sister that works there. I can reach out if you want.

All the good Asian/Indian food is reportedly out in the burbs in DFW, but I was too lazy to go verify for myself.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Democratic Pirate posted:

All the good Asian/Indian food is reportedly out in the burbs in DFW, but I was too lazy to go verify for myself.

Ethiopian food is in Richardson that I need to check out. Thing is, I dont have a car so is whatever ramen etc really going to be 40 buck uber or 2.5 hour dart each way better than I can find in the city? Ehhhhh.... Plus I feel a lot of those kinds of food are communal and I have nobody to share with.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
What a weekend

Had to explain the importance of MLK and the civil rights movement to a foreign intern.

Had a busser drop his soundcloud link to a table. Who then played it at max volume on their phone.

Had a child bring a beyblade arena into the restaurant.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Quabzor posted:

Had a child bring a beyblade arena into the restaurant.

These are fun as heck.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Stringent posted:

These are fun as heck.

I was incredibly jealous.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I forgot to take into account raises/cost of living increases, so like $1800-2200.

Thought about living in one of the suburbs, but I absolutely hate commuting, and higher rent is absolutely worth being close to work for me.

Define your tolerance for 'higher'. Seattle is Bay Area 2.0 these days rentwise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Seattle housing is more expensive than every city in California except San Francisco and San Jose I believe.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Ironically, I looked at both SF and San Jose because the hotels we have in those cities were looking for CdCs.

As for the "higher" rent bit, I gladly pay $1200/mo for a nice 700sq ft 1br/ba off South Lamar so I can get to work in 15min. I just absolutely could not do a 60-90min commute twice a day to have a 3br/2ba house outside the city for $1k/mo.

My buddy has a nice house only 10 miles from my apartment. If traffic is bad, and since this is Austin, it absolutely is, it'll take him 45min to an hour to make it to my place. Yeah, no, fuuuuuuuuuck that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ironically, I looked at both SF and San Jose because the hotels we have in those cities were looking for CdCs.

As for the "higher" rent bit, I gladly pay $1200/mo for a nice 700sq ft 1br/ba off South Lamar so I can get to work in 15min. I just absolutely could not do a 60-90min commute twice a day to have a 3br/2ba house outside the city for $1k/mo.

My buddy has a nice house only 10 miles from my apartment. If traffic is bad, and since this is Austin, it absolutely is, it'll take him 45min to an hour to make it to my place. Yeah, no, fuuuuuuuuuck that.

There's no way you could afford something that would let you spend less than 45 minutes on your commute into SF. Maybe something close to BART in the dicier parts of Oakland you could average 30 minutes assuming the hotel was also walking distance from BART.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Eh, if we'd gone the SF route we'd be looking at an annual income of ~200k. Pretty sure we wouldn't need to be a 45min commute away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Eh, if we'd gone the SF route we'd be looking at an annual income of ~200k. Pretty sure we wouldn't need to be a 45min commute away.

Dude.

"As of December 2018, average rent for an apartment in San Francisco, CA is $3693 which is a 1.87% increase from last year when the average rent was $3624 , and a 0.43% increase from last month when the average rent was $3677. "

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-san-francisco-rent-trends/