Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

aardwolf posted:

I never liked the actual game that much but I kept it installed so I could crank up the theme music :allears:

I listened to it recently, it's begging for a synthwave remix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pasketti posted:

Timestamp for this one says February of 2000 but having a birthday party at McDonalds and receiving a framed drawing of Sailor Moon as a present is still pretty 90's.

I still have it hanging up :3:

This is adorable.

uli2000 posted:

When I moved to the UK in '97 they'd play it late at nights on Channel 4. I think it was all reruns by then. Back on Christmas day, my kids were talking about 90's stuff so I remembered the Army of Lovers segment on Eurotrash and shows my kids some AoL videos for peak 90's Eurotrash.

Funny you mention Beavis and Butt-head and Army of Lovers in the same breath - I heard their song "Crucified" on that show and sought out the album it was off of. The rest of the album was definitely not as good as that one song, yeeeeeesh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JediTalentAgent posted:

Woodstock '94 and Woodstock '99.

One seemed to be a well-received event, then the other turned into a hell on Earth. I wished I cared more about both at the time to really pay attention to the marketing and development and execution of both.

I think filling the evening with rap metal bands was a bad idea. There was so much rear end in a top hat rock at the time, of course assholes were going to show up and do stupid things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A fiftieth anniversary show is apparently happening this year, to feature all of the top acts (or as many as they can get) in rock, pop, hip-hop and more.

I kind of hope they don't try to bring back too many of the original performers. Maybe bring them out to perform a song or two alongside somebody new.

Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend and Fred Durst could team up on "Behind Blue Eyes". :v:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

twistedmentat posted:

I think filling the evening with rap metal bands was a bad idea. There was so much rear end in a top hat rock at the time, of course assholes were going to show up and do stupid things.

I think not having proper restroom facilities, not allowing outside food & drink, and setting up multiple booths to sell bottle water and bags of ruffles at ridiculous prices was more indicative of the event's downfall.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here is an amusing Twitter thread in which comic book artist Ramon Villalobos watches Woodstock 99:

https://twitter.com/RamonVillalobos/status/1078272245921808386

Edit: My favourite entry:

https://twitter.com/RamonVillalobos/status/1078303688857284608

This is a wonderful nostalgia read. My 90s moment was last night when on a whim we ended up watching a random mid-90s SNL. It was the one with Quentin Tarrantino and Smashing Pumpkins. drat, everything from the "I'm so cool" bumper pics to a sketch where Quentin talks with other directors about "slamming" the actresses they work with on set...

Also remember when Billy Corgan had features and a jawline and wasn't a sad pool ball all of the time? Yeah me either.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

jojoinnit posted:

Also remember when Billy Corgan had features and a jawline and wasn't a sad pool ball all of the time? Yeah me either.

My favorite Billy Corgan picture. (It is a short list of competition)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Isn't he all like super weird (even compared to how he used to be) and does a cat magazine or something?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Croatoan posted:

Isn't he all like super weird (even compared to how he used to be) and does a cat magazine or something?

I think he's also gone full on nutjob Alex Jones MAGA Chud too. I'd not be surprised if he's into Qanon but has more sense than Rosanne to not talk about that publicly.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
D'Arcy said she thinks he must have a brain tumor lol

The Pumpkins and Weezer are two prolific bands from the 90s for whom I checked out after their third albums, but I would LOVE for someone else to do the work of listening to all their latter day albums, demos, b-sides, tribute covers, leaks, solo albums, etc, and make me a 12-15 song list of the songs worth listening to since their heyday. Billy has put out hundreds of songs. There must be great ones I've never heard but I don't want to do the work of sifting them out.

Also Siamese Dream > Melloncollie. Maybe it wouldn't be if you cut Melloncollie down to one album, but as is...

Imagined has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jan 14, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F3iy07CLqc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Billy Corgan is also the current owner of the National Wrestling Alliance.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Imagined posted:

Also Siamese Dream > Melloncollie. Maybe it wouldn't be if you cut Melloncollie down to one album, but as is...

I can get behind you on this.

My first Pumpkins album was Ava Adore. I didn't know what to expect when a friend gave me a copy of Siamese Dream.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Ava was one of those albums you'd always find ten copies of in the bargain bin next to Spin Doctors and Chumbawumba.

Edit: also Jimmy Chamberlin was the most underrated drummer of the 90s.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Jan 14, 2019

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't think anyone expected the alternative boom of the early 90s to have faded/transformed as quickly as it did by about 1996/1997. But around that window, too, you had the huge pop culture success of U2 seemingly undone by Discotheque and people figured the band was on its way to obscurity after about a solid 15 or so year run. (Turned out, they came back in the late 90s and early 2000s with a number of successful songs.)

I seem to remember Michael Stipe, during the peak of REM's success in the earlier 90s teasing that he was tempted to end the group on New Years Eve 1999, telling how they'd perform their last show and at the stroke of midnight, put down the instruments and walk off stage and out of the industry.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JediTalentAgent posted:

I seem to remember Michael Stipe, during the peak of REM's success in the earlier 90s teasing that he was tempted to end the group on New Years Eve 1999, telling how they'd perform their last show and at the stroke of midnight, put down the instruments and walk off stage and out of the industry.
Gwen Stefani and No doubt closed out the 20th century on MTV with It's The End of the World as We Know It, and I think that's pretty close.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Imagined posted:

Ava was one of those albums you'd always find ten copies of in the bargain bin next to Spin Doctors and Chumbawumba.

Edit: also Jimmy Chamberlin was the most underrated drummer of the 90s.

As a drummer I can tell you no one underrates him then or today. He just wasn’t as famous despite his band. Chamberlain is a huge influence on me as a drummer and I love listening to his nuance. As with most members, the fame usually goes solely to the singer. Definitely not underrated though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWnxQvZVSQ

incredible commercial for a standards 90s compilation cd

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Imagined posted:

D'Arcy said she thinks he must have a brain tumor lol

The Pumpkins and Weezer are two prolific bands from the 90s for whom I checked out after their third albums, but I would LOVE for someone else to do the work of listening to all their latter day albums, demos, b-sides, tribute covers, leaks, solo albums, etc, and make me a 12-15 song list of the songs worth listening to since their heyday. Billy has put out hundreds of songs. There must be great ones I've never heard but I don't want to do the work of sifting them out.

Weezer sounds exactly the same as they did 20 years ago, don’t bother.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shrapnig posted:

Weezer sounds exactly the same as they did 20 years ago, don’t bother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab5WvwfLuLM

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Now imagine white guys wearing that.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

twistedmentat posted:

Now imagine white guys wearing that.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Flight Bisque posted:

My favorite Billy Corgan picture. (It is a short list of competition)

Despite all my pain I am still just a man on a train

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://youtu.be/34BA_v65yG8

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was listening to 36 Chambers earlier today and just amazed by how it has not aged a day in terms of production or flow. The beats would fit right in with (although be better than) anything on those lo-fi hip-hop Youtube channels right now. It's so loving good. Album came out in 1993 but could come out tomorrow and be hailed as a masterpiece.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Jan 19, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

I was listening to 36 Chambers earlier today and just amazed by how it has not aged a day in terms of production or flow. The beats would fit right in with (although be better than) anything on those lo-fi hip-hop Youtube channels right now. It's so loving good. Album came out in 1993 but could come out tomorrow and be hailed as a masterpiece.

36 Chambers is legit one is my favorite albums, I still listen to it a ton. Also was one of the first albums I bought on iTunes because I played it so much on my car that the CD couldn't be read anymore, now that isn't something I miss from that era of music

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Don Gato posted:

36 Chambers is legit one is my favorite albums, I still listen to it a ton. Also was one of the first albums I bought on iTunes because I played it so much on my car that the CD couldn't be read anymore, now that isn't something I miss from that era of music

..What? How? Are you sure you didn't accidentally leave it in the car and the heat from the sun warped it or something? Because there's no physical contact between a CD player and a CD surface unless its broken or something. CDs are actually really stable and durable compared to cassettes and records.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m not sure if it would happen from repeated plays, or simply because they were played so often that they got handled more often but I definitely had CDs that became skippy/unplayable after a while with no obvious scratches or marks.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

ryonguy posted:

Because there's no physical contact between a CD player and a CD surface unless its broken or something.

In a house this is true. In a car there is more going on. You remember hitting a bump and the CD skipping? The CD either got far enough from the laser not to read or it smacked right into it. There is also a ton more dust and dirt along with trying to change disks while you are driving.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I grant you that, but it's still the more durable surface coming in contact with crud. I bet you could resurface it and get some more life out of oh good lord ryonguy it's a cd just buy a new one or go digital you wanker never!.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

I’m not sure if it would happen from repeated plays, or simply because they were played so often that they got handled more often but I definitely had CDs that became skippy/unplayable after a while with no obvious scratches or marks.

Basically this. I blame the lovely New England back roads as always but since it's only happened to 36 Chambers, maybe my car just can't handle the Wu Tang

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I honestly can’t explain why some CDs became skippy and others didn’t. We had copies of Van Halen’s Best Of, Vol. 1 and Rush’s Moving Pictures, the former being bought new in 1996, and both got skippy to the point of needing new copies in the early 2000s. To be fair, those CDs ended up on every road trip, played at home and countless little Discman players for years, so they got a ton of wear and tear... Yet somehow, a CD copy of Frank Zappa’s Hot Rats from the early 90s went through all of that and still works fine to this day :shrug:

This is probably more of an early 2000s thing, but burned CD-R and CD-RW discs definitely had shorter lifespans than regular CDs. After a few months of heavy usage some of those became unplayable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Might just be wear and tear that you didn't even notice, like the CDs being handled with bare hands on the recording surface or getting minor dings and nicks from general usage.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Or heat from being in a car contributing to read problems with the surface.

It's weird how CDs, with their iridescent silver bottoms, were thought to be Forever Purchases and now we know that they will delaminate or rot eventually.

The most 90s thing is like "yeah I'll get this on Cd/DVD/ buy Mario Superstars for SNES... i'll never need to repurchase it again!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

JediTalentAgent posted:

The original REM conspiracy was that there were hidden numbers on their album covers (5 on Document, 4 on Green) that was a countdown to the band breaking up

Imagined posted:

I love how you can buy a Wutang poster in Target, right now, along with stuff like Fortnite

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

In a house this is true. In a car there is more going on. You remember hitting a bump and the CD skipping? The CD either got far enough from the laser not to read or it smacked right into it. There is also a ton more dust and dirt along with trying to change disks while you are driving.

On CDs the glues and lacquers used to keep the layers together oxidize and get dimmer, making the CD harder to read.

Usually this becomes a problem with CDR/W -disks within 5-10 years, and album grade CDs in 15-20 years.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Der Kyhe posted:

On CDs the glues and lacquers used to keep the layers together oxidize and get dimmer, making the CD harder to read.

Usually this becomes a problem with CDR/W -disks within 5-10 years, and album grade CDs in 15-20 years.

I have seen this with a couple of my CD’s from the early and mid 90’s but, by and large, all the CD’s I bought 25 years ago are perfectly playable, and I even converted them all to digital in the past couple of years. My copy of ...And Out Come The Wolves that I bought on release had been on massive rotation for 20+ years until it got converted and still plays flawlessly despite looking like it was attacked by Wolverine.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I thought I had a perfect post, but I hit up Google and found out that the Icy Hot Stuntaz popped up in 2001.

I thought they were 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rockinricky posted:

I thought I had a perfect post, but I hit up Google and found out that the Icy Hot Stuntaz popped up in 2001.

I thought they were 90s.

the 90s ended in september of 2001 so they still could be