Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
pain is inevitable. suffering is optional.

lemonade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
yiik is really really bad though, i don't think anyone should play it

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Is that actually postmodern at all? Or is it just a dadaist ripoff of the later Persona games?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Is that actually postmodern at all? Or is it just a dadaist ripoff of the later Persona games?

The wonderful and terrible thing about “postmodern” is that it’s such a broad and easily misunderstood term that it both is and isn’t at the same time. Though chances are if you have to announce it’s a postmodern RPG, it probably actually isn’t.

Also the game is set at the tail end of 1999 (hence he Y2K pun in the title), yet everyone looks, acts, and talks like they’re straight out of 2018.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
edit: wrong thread

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 20, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
After seeing actual gameplay of YIIK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwCKPhlyU5M

I am thinking of rescinding my request, because holy poo poo who would actually want to do all this over and over?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am thinking of rescinding my request, because holy poo poo who would actually want to do all this over and over?

That makes me want to see an LP of it more than the first video does!

nine-gear crow posted:

The wonderful and terrible thing about “postmodern” is that it’s such a broad and easily misunderstood term that it both is and isn’t at the same time. Though chances are if you have to announce it’s a postmodern RPG, it probably actually isn’t.

Also the game is set at the tail end of 1999 (hence he Y2K pun in the title), yet everyone looks, acts, and talks like they’re straight out of 2018.

Edit: I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says they're looking for a viral video star who went missing. In the '90s.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 20, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Holy gently caress that was dog poo poo on every level. No boss fight should take 11 minutes to finish, and the fact that there's a minigame for every menu interaction is physically painful. The soundtrack is just awful too. Not only did I speed the video up to 2x speed just to get through it, I also muted it and threw on Rude Buster from Deltarune just so that I could listen to a competently scored indie game battle track. Sadly, it did nothing to improve the visuals.

Also please tell me that the rest of the game consists of the protagonist* just screaming "WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON?!" in increasingly shriller tones while everyone else around him just ignores him.

Aaaagh. I am torn between wanting to see this game dissected with a chainsaw and never actually wanting to see another second of it ever again. Send help.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

The soundtrack is just awful too. Not only did I speed the video up to 2x speed just to get through it, I also muted it and threw on Rude Buster from Deltarune just so that I could listen to a competently scored indie game battle track.

Toby Fox actually did a track for this game, who knows why or how

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Toby Fox actually did a track for this game, who knows why or how

And it's the only song that isn't utter torture to listen to on the soundtrack, and I really hope he's able to put it to better use in Deltarune because aside from that opening bridge where he has to incorporate Yeek's garbo "main theme", it's a drat good track and would be right at home in one of his own games.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Blood Sally posted:

pain is inevitable. suffering is optional.

WORLD IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1999
I am trash soul
410,757,864,530 DEAD HIPSTERS

...Is it frowned upon to hope for a specific LPer to take up a game? Because this looks like it would be perfect for The Dark Id.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He's suffered enough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

nine-gear crow posted:

Holy gently caress that was dog poo poo on every level. No boss fight should take 11 minutes to finish, and the fact that there's a minigame for every menu interaction is physically painful. The soundtrack is just awful too. Not only did I speed the video up to 2x speed just to get through it, I also muted it and threw on Rude Buster from Deltarune just so that I could listen to a competently scored indie game battle track. Sadly, it did nothing to improve the visuals.

Also please tell me that the rest of the game consists of the protagonist* just screaming "WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON?!" in increasingly shriller tones while everyone else around him just ignores him.

Aaaagh. I am torn between wanting to see this game dissected with a chainsaw and never actually wanting to see another second of it ever again. Send help.

also during most of that fight i had fast-forward on lol

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'd love for someone to do a lp where they just break Elona

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

I'd love for someone to do a lp where they just break Elona

You don't break Elona, only grind it.

necroid
May 14, 2009

didn't someone here do an LP of Severance: Blade of Darkness years ago? I can't find it on lparchive.org

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

necroid posted:

didn't someone here do an LP of Severance: Blade of Darkness years ago? I can't find it on lparchive.org

Not every LP is archived, only ones that people ask baldurk to archive go up. I'm not seeing anything on the Master List either, though that's also hit and miss because it's left up to goons themselves to update and goons are often :effort: on that sort of stuff.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Dr. Fetus posted:

Golden Alpaca is Sick. Let’s play YIIK: The Postmodern RPG

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
That's actually horrible enough that there's part of my brain that wants to try it. And I don't even RPG anymore.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i know, right? too bad it's not on sale atm...

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I'd like to see an informative SSLP of Cultist Simulator.

It's the sort of game where a lot of the mechanics are learned through experimentation rather than explained by the game, which would leave a lot of room for an LPer to reveal them at their own pace. The game also has a lot of flavor without being too descriptive, so there's plenty of room to write an overarching narrative around what's going on.

The game does have pretty uneven pacing, where you'll spend a minute or two waiting for timers to count down, and then multiple things will pop up at once. That lends itself more to screenshots than video.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Ace Combat 7

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Ace Combat 7

That one is in the works, just be patient.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

Ace Combat 7

As soon as I'm done my IL2 let's play!

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Cathode Raymond posted:

Golden Alpaca is Sick. Let’s play YIIK: The Postmodern RPG

Thotimx posted:

That's actually horrible enough that there's part of my brain that wants to try it. And I don't even RPG anymore.

Blind Sally posted:

i know, right? too bad it's not on sale atm...
:shepface:

I'm now the proud (?) owner of this game.

See you all in the thread shortly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
aaaaahahaha what have we done???

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

diacorn posted:

:shepface:

I'm now the proud (?) owner of this game.

See you all in the thread shortly.

Arist and I are also both prepping threads.

Good times <3

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oh no.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Three YIIK LPs at once? Oh my...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This smells like Monkey's Paw shenanigans.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nine-gear crow posted:

YIIKes, you mean.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

YIIKes, you mean.
Three YIIKes, No Waiting.

CaptainScraps posted:

Arist and I are also both prepping threads.

Good times <3
Oh no, what have we unleashed?

I don't think this forum is ready.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 30, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

make that four five YIIK LPs at once :c00lbutt:
:c00lbutt:
:c00lbutt:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The YIIK Shall Inherit The Earth

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh no. Mega64, what have we done!?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
please stop buying YIIK

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Level 1 Thief posted:

please stop buying YIIK

why don't you make me!!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Should just do a megathread of yiik LPs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
YIIIKes! Let's Endure This. - LP Sanity Check Race

Whoever progresses the furthest into the game, wins. Ties are possible.

Winner gets a free avatar change and a special thanks in Crow/Sally's next lp, whichever comes first.

Edit: instead of avatar change give them a gang tag, winner gets a better one or something i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh no. Mega64, what have we done!?

To be fair, if I weren't in the middle of an LP right now I'd be on track to doing one myself.

The one time people listen to my oddball requests...