Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

asecondduck posted:

People don't need a YouTube video to get themselves worked up about a movie not meeting their expectations. I was disappointed in Inception because the trailer (specifically the scene when Leo is squeezing himself between two buildings that seem like they're being forced together) implied that there would be insane world and area manipulation, when what I got was, uh, a neat folding Paris and MC Escher stairs.

I don't mean "disappointed that a movie didn't live up to their expectations" - that's certainly fair enough - I mean "decides the movie is bad because it did not match up with popular fan theories". :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In retrospect, Animorphs was an absolutely insane IP, even for a YA series. I remember after (or shortly before?) Animorphs ended, KA Applegate started another YA series that started with a group of characters trying to escape a doomed Earth by gaining access to space shuttle flights that assigned seats by lottery. People stampede the launch site, terrorists attack the shuttle launch and the first book ends with the main character watching from space as an asteroid slams into Earth. The second book has the characters waking up onboard after hundreds of years in suspended animation and finding half their family members have turned to dust because their pods malfunctioned.

It was intensely bleak.

I don’t remember the name of that series either, but I do remember in like the first quarter of it we get a detailed description of the protagonist’s love interest dying horrifically. I read it when I was like ten, put the book down after that, and it still scars me a little to this day.

Like, Goddamn, Applegate.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t remember the name of that series either, but I do remember in like the first quarter of it we get a detailed description of the protagonist’s love interest dying horrifically. I read it when I was like ten, put the book down after that, and it still scars me a little to this day.

I was morbidly curious since I never read past the second book, so I looked it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remnants_(novel_series)

The plot synopses for the other books sound properly bonkers.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I never read any of the Animorph books growing up, but apparently all the books were just put online with the authors blessing.
http://animorphsforum.com/ebooks/

Always found the covers interesting though, from the horrific to well...

I'd joke about remaking Big but it's a super power, but that seems to be part of that unsettling Shzaam moving that's coming out.

MrBling posted:

Doctor Strange is the only movie I wish I had seen in 3D, because I assume they did some crazy rear end poo poo with 3D effects.

I can assure you it did not.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah it was triumphant moment and Applegate herself said it was a sequel hook. Like I didn’t make that up that’s all from her when people asked what the gently caress that ending was about.

Not even all the animorphs went, Cassie didn’t for example.

It doesn't seem like a heroic moment. :shrug: Maybe it's just me though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah she was the one mentioned that gets impaled by a steel beam. And I think she was video chatting with the main guy at the time so he sees her die. Most of the people on the ship end up getting eaten by space worms that have burrowed all through their bodies. I also remember a pretty graphic description of them having to amputate a dude’s leg while he’s awake because a space worm got in and cutting his leg off is the only way to save him.

The first book is entirely about the lead up to Earth getting destroyed by a giant asteroid and it’s fairly realistic. But the later books get super weird, with a sentient planet machine and an evil telekinetic baby and the people who survived on Earth becoming magic druids or some poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vandar posted:

It doesn't seem like a heroic moment. :shrug: Maybe it's just me though.

I mean it’s Jake going I’ve got a plan you in and everyone going hell yeah.

wyoming posted:

I never read any of the Animorph books growing up, but apparently all the books were just put online with the authors blessing.
http://animorphsforum.com/ebooks/

Always found the covers interesting though, from the horrific to well...

I'd joke about remaking Big but it's a super power, but that seems to be part of that unsettling Shzaam moving that's coming out.

I can assure you it did not.

This isn’t a big thing more looking at a dark future for reasons I don’t remember.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 20, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Doesn’t Animorph have some really cruel fates to some of the kids.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's what the last few posts have been about, yeah.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rirse posted:

I never finished the series, but the second or third book in the series had one of the main characters become permanently trapped in the form of a hawk, unable to ever be human again. I’m pretty sure a bunch of the kids’ family members were indirect casualties as the series went on.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Rirse posted:

One is sacrificed to stop a villain.
One gets to stay home.
One gets possessed by an evil space being.
The rest of them suicide attack to try and take it out, the end.

Y'know, for kids!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jake leads his cousin and a bunch of disabled kids to their deaths for no real reason because he’s having a mental breakdown

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
YA tends to be quite bleak a lot of the time, because it's often the first exposure a kid has to stuff other than kid's media. Since they're young, they confuse being grim or cynical with being mature, especially within genre fiction, which they don't want to stop reading, but that they need to shift a little to be mature, like they are now. I used to work with teenagers, and any conversation about how they would have ended some recent film boiled down to 'I would have killed the hero and had the bad guy win.'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never finished the series, but the second or third book in the series had one of the main characters become permanently trapped in the form of a hawk, unable to ever be human again. I’m pretty sure a bunch of the kids’ family members were indirect casualties as the series went on.

That was the first one, the series leads with that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Animorphs go back in time in one of the books to WW2-era Germany and they meet Hitler but he’s just some random garbage collector or something so they leave him alone.

They also get to hang out with George Washington and go back to the Cretaceous to meet all the dinosaurs.

I would absolutely watch an animated adaptation of the series. I liked the Nick show when I was ten, but i think it’s a little too weird for live-action.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

The Animorphs go back in time in one of the books to WW2-era Germany and they meet Hitler but he’s just some random garbage collector or something so they leave him alone.

They also get to hang out with George Washington and go back to the Cretaceous to meet all the dinosaurs.

I would absolutely watch an animated adaptation of the series. I liked the Nick show when I was ten, but i think it’s a little too weird for live-action.

That was one where the enemy has been loving with history, so when they arrive at "World War 2" it's more of a British Empire (incl America who lost the revolution) vs Franco-German Alliance (possibly Napoleon won?), and the Hundred Years War basically never ended or something like that.

Hitler's a doddering old car driver and one of the kids cuts his throat in cold blood despite the others saying he didn't do anything in this timeline.

I think they ended it by going to Berkeley in the 60s and punching the bad guy's dad before his could meet his mom, deleting him and putting history back to normal.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Well, of course. Punching someone's dad is how you solve all time-travel-related problems.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This sounds like if Marvel's Nextwave comic was rebooted as a The Authority parody.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Oh geez, I thought they let Hitler live.

I think in the one where they meet George Washington, Jake or whoever gets shot in the head and dies horribly but then the Elimist/little old alien guy rewinds time. I think the backstory for the Elimist is that he was the best at video games on his planet and somehow used that to become a space god.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh geez, I thought they let Hitler live.

I think in the one where they meet George Washington, Jake or whoever gets shot in the head and dies horribly but then the Elimist/little old alien guy rewinds time. I think the backstory for the Elimist is that he was the best at video games on his planet and somehow used that to become a space god.

Music I think and that isn’t actually how he got his power. Got his power from a black hole.

The Elimist is a convoluted boy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I think the backstory for the Elimist is that he was the best at video games on his planet and somehow used that to become a space god.

It's even better than that. He was the best at an alien version of Spore.

http://animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/Ellimist#Origins

quote:

Before achieving through abnormal circumstance a godlike omnipotence and omnipresence, the Ellimist was originally a Ketran named Toomin. He lived on the Equatorial High Crystal with his friends Inidar, Aguella and Wormer. Toomin could be best described as a "gamer"; he frequently played a life simulation game called Alien Civilizations, very popular among his people, which gave each player an alien species and tasked them with slightly modifying their environmental or evolutionary aspects, so as to cause change over time. The aim of the game was to keep the species alive for as long as possible; if the species became extinct, the player lost. Toomin's game name was Ellimist. He chose the name because he "thought it sounded breezy," not knowing how important the name would become.

Another society of Ketrans on his planet made the mistake of broadcasting transmissions of the game into deep space, as part of an experiment with radio transmission. Unfortunately they did not bother to include an explanation that the transmissions were only games, and a race called the Capasins annihilated the Ketrans, believing that the Ketrans meddled with the development of other species.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was morbidly curious since I never read past the second book, so I looked it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remnants_(novel_series)

The plot synopses for the other books sound properly bonkers.

What the gently caress

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

See this is the kind of YA I like, not some prestige YA novel with artificially deep themes, but just full-on crazy ridiculous poo poo. The only lesson the Animorphs had was “War is hell.” I think Applegate wrote a long response saying exactly that after the ending got a lot of criticism.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Vandar posted:

One is sacrificed to stop a villain.
One gets to stay home.
One gets possessed by an evil space being.
The rest of them suicide attack to try and take it out, the end.

Y'know, for kids!

I started reading this as "This little piggy", but then I realised you were missing one. I'd fill it in, but I don't know the series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

I started reading this as "This little piggy", but then I realised you were missing one. I'd fill it in, but I don't know the series.

One got turned into a rat and abandoned on an island? I think?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The main Animorphs series was all over the place in quality, but I remember most of the special hardcover spinoffs being solid. There was one that covered the history of the main bad guy alien’s slave race and another that filled in backstory for the good alien centaur guy’s society and his brother’s life before he died. I really ate that poo poo up when I was a kid.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

One got turned into a rat and abandoned on an island? I think?

That was David, the seventh Animorph. He was kind of forced onto the team and ended up trying to betray them, so they tricked him into getting stuck in rat form and abandoned him where no one could hear his telepathic screams! There was an entire trilogy dedicated to his debut and then dealing with him!

He ended up coming back way later, and it was implied that Rachel killed him, but it was left unclear and up to the reader if it happened or not.

...why yes, I was once a huge Animorphs fan, how'd you guess?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The main Animorphs series was all over the place in quality, but I remember most of the special hardcover spinoffs being solid. There was one that covered the history of the main bad guy alien’s slave race and another that filled in backstory for the good alien centaur guy’s society and his brother’s life before he died. I really ate that poo poo up when I was a kid.

The Chronicles books were the best part of the entire series, imo. There were four of them, based on Elfangor, the Hork-Bajir, the Elimist, and then Visser Three.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
God the more people bring up bits from Animorphs the more I remember how freaking insane it all was.

Also fun: looking at the Flash and realizing that they accidentally (?) put together what would be a fantastic Animorphs cast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man I don't remember half of this even though I read basically all of them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There are a lot of animorph books remembering all that poo poo would be legit impressive.

There are over 50 books maybe 60?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently Sony has the rights to Animorphs and now I'm imagining an animated Animorphs film that looks like Spider-Verse and I'm disappointed that's never gonna happen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: Read all the posts before posting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

Polar lives up to its Netflix original pedigree by being total garbage. I haven't seen anything else by Jonas Akerlund but I could immediately tell this was a movie made by a music video director, it's like a stylistically obnoxious version of John Wick but with long stretches of boredom.

Do not watch unless you really want to see naked Mads Mikkelsen kill some assassins.

Is this out already outside the US? I thought it was coming to Netflix next week?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are a lot of animorph books remembering all that poo poo would be legit impressive.

There are over 50 books maybe 60?

54 main series books + 4 Chronicles + 4 Megamorphs + 2 Alternamorphs

So 64 in total.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

54 main series books + 4 Chronicles + 4 Megamorphs + 2 Alternamorphs

So 64 in total.

Isn't there some Goosebumps-esque thing going on where the creator claims they wrote every book even though it is clearly not true?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah all the ghost writers are credited and fans have ghostwriters they like and those they don’t.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't there some Goosebumps-esque thing going on where the creator claims they wrote every book even though it is clearly not true?

No, KA Applegate readily admits to using ghostwriters. Maybe she didn't at the time though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't mean "disappointed that a movie didn't live up to their expectations" - that's certainly fair enough - I mean "decides the movie is bad because it did not match up with popular fan theories". :shrug:

Maybe but we're still in a situation where those people don't really matter, they just don't make up enough of a domestic audience to influence any marketing decisions and are potential minefields for any actual studio involvement for when half of them go milkshake duck. I'm all for trailers giving the tone and feel of a movie over showing all the good points, I'd even be for trailers not showing any actual footage of the movie and just being short clips or skits. Maybe even go full Hitchcock and have the director introduce the movie while lying in a grave.

(as much as I hate to interrupt Animorphs chat, which is always hilarious because of how bonkers that series is)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe with Goosebumps, Stine admitted that he used “cheat sheets” he’d created for for characters and plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

asecondduck posted:

No, KA Applegate readily admits to using ghostwriters. Maybe she didn't at the time though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animorphs#Ghostwriters

All the ghostwriters are known, and they all worked off of her notes and outlines.