Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Dijkstracula posted:

Actually I think even vegan imitations of meat will be a bridge too far for the bulk of entitled fat westerners :(

and when he says the bulk of entitled fat westerners, he really means the bulk of entitled fat westerners!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eh? eh? are you not entertained?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i had an ‘impossible’ burger and i eat meat and found it trying way too hard to emulate meat to the point that i’d rather not eat it.

that said, prime rib

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

psiox posted:

i had an ‘impossible’ burger and i eat meat and found it trying way too hard to emulate meat to the point that i’d rather not eat it.

that said, prime rib

I'm a vegetarian and the spread of the "impossible burger" pisses me off to no end. If I wanted "round patty that tastes like meat" I'd goddamn well order a burger, I'm ordering a veggie burger, don't give me something that tastes like goddamn meat.

And they must be cheaper or something because everywhere is replacing their awesome black bean-and-pistachio (or whatever) patties with these ...things?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I'm also veg but I'm also completely down with engineering fake meat because it's the only way my extended family will transition off their "it can't be a real meal without protein" philosophy

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

also The In-Vitro Meat Cookbook is completely bananas and probably a proread for a bunch of folks itt

quote:

Hello meat lovers, hello vegetarians. We need to talk about the future of meat. With the world’s population expected to reach nine billion people by 2050, it becomes impossible to produce and consume meat like we do today.

In vitro meat, grown from cells in a laboratory, could provide a sustainable and animal-friendly alternative. Yet, before we can decide if we are willing to eat in vitro, we must explore the new food culture it will bring us.

The In Vitro Meat Cookbook presents 45 recipes that explore and visualize what in vitro meat products might be on our plate one day. As in vitro meat is still being developed you cannot cook our recipes just yet, however, they will provide abundant food for thought and discussion.

Using the format of the cookbook as a storytelling medium, the In Vitro Meat Cookbook is a visually stunning exploration of the new “food cultures” lab-grown meat might create. This book approaches lab-grown meat not just from a design and engineering perspective, but also from a societal and ethical one.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
it's definitely cool as an offramp for heavy meat eaters though i have to wonder about the energy/water requirements involved when perfectly nutritious food already exists. at least it isn't bitcoin so hey

current mood: i would be happy with nothing but hummus and falafel forever

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/29/122

:eyepop:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
seriously do not know how people like linus do it, that first sentence alone would make me turn off my are monitor

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

psiox posted:

seriously do not know how people like linus do it, that first sentence alone would make me turn off my are monitor

he screams at the monitor as a coping mechanism

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

big lmao

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
nice library op, I look forward to using it in my projects :)

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Dijkstracula posted:

deeply, cosmically curious as to the meaning of the comment "// prime rib?"

While debugging I figured out I could use prime numbers for timing for the threads, forgot how this actually made sense lol

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Don’t be afraid to throw the handle abhja Kalaani around, it’s a fake name

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

unidef freeman posted:

Don’t be afraid to throw the handle abhja Kalaani around, it’s a fake name

why did you think that was a good email to send

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
// additional code

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Captain Foo posted:

why did you think that was a good email to send

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Captain Foo posted:

why did you think this was a good thread to make

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

is this...art?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

psiox posted:

current mood: i would be happy with nothing but hummus and falafel forever

Legit same, I’m literally basing my current job search around how far it’ll be from the crappy little falafel chain I like.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

multitasking (especially in Linux) is really, really fun!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

even if it's not intentional, this definitely counts as art:

quote:

When I have time I’ll have to read a few books and dig into the latest kernel to really understand what the Linux kernel is, but during that procrastination

I want to rewrite the Linux scheduler using my code

i mean to paint such a vivid portrait of someone who doesn't know anything about quantum computing, b-trees, binary trees, or the Linux kernel but still sets out to make a quantum b-tree (or possibly binary tree) and integrate it into the Linux kernel scheduler... goddamn. look at this bit of code, the only function actually implemented in the library:

quote:

void printq(char *msg, DOC *description){
printf(msg);
}

it wraps printf, but makes it worse by 1. not allowing you to insert variables into the message and 2. not passing up printf's return value.

it is art. i want to frame it all and hang it on my wall.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pham Nuwen posted:

i mean to paint such a vivid portrait of someone who doesn't know anything about quantum computing, b-trees, binary trees, or the Linux kernel but still sets out to make a quantum b-tree (or possibly binary tree) and integrate it into the Linux kernel scheduler... goddamn. look at this bit of code, the only function actually implemented in the library:

it wraps printf, but makes it worse by 1. not allowing you to insert variables into the message and 2. not passing up printf's return value.

it's fuckin' something all right

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
doesnt count unless its purestrain something

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm the inexplicable but also unused second argument

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
JICA

Just In Case Argument

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

better to have it and not to need it, &c.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i'm just upset that nobody on the lkml is biting. i bet they get emails like this twice a month

unless there are responses but i can't see them because that website is literally from the 80s and probably hadn't been changed once since then

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

gonadic io posted:

i'm just upset that nobody on the lkml is biting. i bet they get emails like this twice a month

unless there are responses but i can't see them because that website is literally from the 80s and probably hadn't been changed once since then

Nobody on the lkml probably has any idea what the op is going on about

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the lkml gets its fair share of spam (including legit Nigerian prince scams) and emails from the probably mentally ill (like this) and/or chudly (like endless unthreaded emails about revoking license on code that read like sovcit screeds) so there’s a fairly well established tradition of not responding to emails that don’t deserve it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

I'm the inexplicable but also unused second argument

that's the Bonus Argument, pass it to see if you win!

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

that's the Bonus Argument, pass it to see if you win!

home of
CHALLENGE ARGPARSING

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

Actually I think even vegan imitations of meat will be a bridge too far for the bulk of entitled fat westerners :(

idk how chinese vegetarian meat substitutes are not better known (well i do k how but still)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

psiox posted:

home of
CHALLENGE ARGPARSING

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Tofu is good though, as long as it’s extra firm (just like the extra firm :dong: I ceaselessly hunger for)?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

fritz posted:

idk how chinese vegetarian meat substitutes are not better known (well i do k how but still)
it's slowly happening; back in my home town, the vegan place my veg* parent took me to for years has since developed a pretty solid following among meat eaters, to the point where otherwise red-blooded rootin-tootin beef-eating Albertans tell me that they serve the best "ginger beef" in town

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Pham Nuwen posted:

*msg is peliminary debug, the doc type is a buffer of messages

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

no, the doc type is a typedef of struct neural :confused:

I mean it doesn't matter what it is because it's never used

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

I mean it doesn't matter what it is because it's never used

profound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

psiox posted:

the first sentence immediately gives away the joke nature of the email and no one took the bait

poor trolling engineering imo

• Locked thread