Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Ciaphas posted:

thanks for the info, then

both openings the recruiter had are for gambling machine companies which is pretty :\ but really anything beats current, so we'll see i guess

what are you talking about! this is the perfect setup for the big ~*goonproject: Las Vegas heist*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've got a few coworkers that worked on gambling game apps and they say that it's really not that different of work from their current day to day making fart apps.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PokeJoe posted:

I've got a few coworkers that worked on gambling game apps and they say that it's really not that different of work from their current day to day making fart apps.

i'm sure the day to day is the same, for me it's mostly the 'yep, still in vegas' and partly the ickiness of working for a gaming company. can't turn my nose up though and i'm already stained as hell on the latter anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

i would suppose the incentives for an external recruiter are probably like a realtor

you might think "they make a percentage of what i get so they'll fight for a larger number for me" and that's true in the short term, but the longer it takes to sell your house (or place you, in the case of a recruiter) the more they'll want to just seal the deal and move on to the next sale/placement

as with a realtor, they give zero fucks about the buyer or the seller, they just want to get a deal done

they will lie to the candidate about the salary band, since they expect it to go up post-interview.

they will lie to the employer about salary demands, since they know it will be disqualifying to be too honest too soon. etc etc

their goal is to get a deal done and a certain amount of deception and misdirection increase the odds considerably

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What if the recruiter forgets about scheduling my interview over the long weekend and my hope for a :yotj: goes up in smoke?

:psyduck:

Also why doesn’t anyone in Wisconsin do MLK day?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

is this really a question you need to be told an answer to

i mean, this fuckhead used to be governor:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arcsech posted:

is this really a question you need to be told an answer to

i mean, this fuckhead used to be governor:

Yeah, but Doyle never did anything before 2010 on it either?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I was dying for all of November trying to get a loving peep back from any application I sent in, then I panic-took a job at Literally Metro-Milwaukee’s Worst MSP to keep the lights on, now all of a sudden (what passes for) good companies are calling like crazy.

:wtf:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

I was dying for all of November trying to get a loving peep back from any application I sent in, then I panic-took a job at Literally Metro-Milwaukee’s Worst MSP to keep the lights on, now all of a sudden (what passes for) good companies are calling like crazy.

Nobody does hr stuff in december or early january

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Schadenboner posted:

That is because it's January, the magical time of year where money materializes before the very eyes of department heads, half of which will be shoveled into the Azure/AWS fire at a pace that makes it run out 1 month before the next magical money granting time.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Nobody does hr stuff in december or early january

It’s just unfortunate my landlord doesn’t hold a similar philosophy.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Schadenboner posted:

I had off :shrug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ciaphas posted:

i'm sure the day to day is the same, for me it's mostly the 'yep, still in vegas' and partly the ickiness of working for a gaming company. can't turn my nose up though and i'm already stained as hell on the latter anyway

at least the gaming company is less likely to give a poo poo about weed use than the feds? hopefully??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

at least the gaming company is less likely to give a poo poo about weed use than the feds? hopefully??

yeah the gaming companies don't seem to especially care long as the job's getting done--at least the ones I've spoken to

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that should help at least. you won't have the anxiety of being drug tested. also they're probably not going to be as ultra-restrictive as far as having to go outside the building to use the internet or something, so the work environment should be better too.

you can even still keep looking for something better, but you'll be doing so from a place of less stress and anxiety. it's still progress and we're all rooting for you. :unsmith:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cold on a Cob posted:

i would suppose the incentives for an external recruiter are probably like a realtor

you might think "they make a percentage of what i get so they'll fight for a larger number for me" and that's true in the short term, but the longer it takes to sell your house (or place you, in the case of a recruiter) the more they'll want to just seal the deal and move on to the next sale/placement

Doesn't cost anything to switch recruiters, and they're all in a very long line of anybodies. If they can't get you a good deal or give a good word directly to a hiring manager, then just ditch them since they add no value to your application.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Is it a Wisconsin company?

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Schadenboner posted:

Is it a Wisconsin company?

Eh not a company per se... I'm with the state itself :rip:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mekkanare posted:

Eh not a company per se... I'm with the state itself :rip:

Yeah: governments/schools and banks, and companies where the HQ or whatever is out east (maybe west coast as well, dunno) seem to get off for MLK.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh poo poo, I need to contact the DWD and make sure my new job doesn’t go on that fuckstain Walker’s record.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
would apple actually care / look at it if I made a side project macOS app in swift? there's a project I want to do already and macOS is a good as any platform for it

I'm not trying to put all my eggs in one basket but apple will be bigly expanding in my city and if im gonna bias my interview prep a bit towards anyones stack it should probably be theirs. my current work is all c#, webapi, react, and typescript (mostly frontend) so I doubt any of that helps.

or is my time better spent just practicing puzzles since I suck big rear end at those?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Flat Daddy posted:

would apple actually care / look at it if I made a side project macOS app in swift?
YMMV but in my experience at Apple nobody really paid any attention to my side projects or other out-of-preordained-interview-band stuff, nor did that stuff ever come up when I interviewed candidates.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

No bigco gives a poo poo about anything beyond what is in their evaluation rubric aka dumb coding puzzle circuses.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Flat Daddy posted:

would apple actually care / look at it if I made a side project macOS app in swift? there's a project I want to do already and macOS is a good as any platform for it

I'm not trying to put all my eggs in one basket but apple will be bigly expanding in my city and if im gonna bias my interview prep a bit towards anyones stack it should probably be theirs. my current work is all c#, webapi, react, and typescript (mostly frontend) so I doubt any of that helps.

or is my time better spent just practicing puzzles since I suck big rear end at those?

apple uses all kinds of poo poo internally, so... probably depends on where in the company you want to land. if you want to work on macos apps like pages or garageband or w/e then maybe, if you want to do frontend web poo poo or APIs or whatever then a macos app probably isn't going to be any more useful than any other side project, which is already highly variable

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

:cheers::toot:

thread has helped me find a new job. thenks goons

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ragtime All The Time posted:

:cheers::toot:

thread has helped me find a new job. thenks goons

:yotj:

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Arcsech posted:

apple uses all kinds of poo poo internally, so... probably depends on where in the company you want to land. if you want to work on macos apps like pages or garageband or w/e then maybe, if you want to do frontend web poo poo or APIs or whatever then a macos app probably isn't going to be any more useful than any other side project, which is already highly variable

this is correct and yeah how helpful it will be is entirely dependent on what team/area you are interviewing with

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flat Daddy posted:

i have never owned an apple device besides an old rear end iPod and never coded for any of their platforms prior to my employment here.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what about in the case that you want to pivot to swift? i imagine side projects in it are going to be essential if your day job is 100% java

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

what about in the case that you want to pivot to swift? i imagine side projects in it are going to be essential if your day job is 100% java

maybe. one team did pass on me due to lack of swift experience.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

jit bull transpile posted:

i have never owned an apple device besides an old rear end iPod and never coded for any of their platforms prior to my employment here.

truly, the race is not always to the swift

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
just gonna apologize for that in advance

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
after short pleasantries and other assorted chit-chat

:v: "Well, it sounds like you've got some interesting projects, what does the stack look like?"
:niggly: "Ah, It's 99% C#"
:v: "Okay, well I have no experience with that, so thanks for reaching out to me and best of luck."
:niggly: "Ah, no no no, we're looking for solid engineers no matter the language. We're big on hiring for talent and attitude, we can train C# and .Net"
:v: "Really? Most of my recent experience is Python"
:niggly: "Well you can do the coding assignment in C# or Java, it's not overly complex you could probably give it a go in C# if you have decent object-oriented skills. We're looking more for how your code is for another team member to look at, where we can teach, things like that."
:v: "Alright it could be a good excuse to try out .Net"

submits assignment

:niggly: "Sorry, we won't be going ahead. We liked your class modelling and you had good test coverage, overall code layout was also good - but you could have used LINQ for some things, should have used DI, and core 2.1 has lifecyle management you could used (link to obscure unofficial blog post), we also wanted to see a three layer architecture for this tiny console app"

I'm probably not going to stop doing takehomes but I sure am going to treat "we hire for talent and attitude not language skills" as a straight up lie.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Kilometres Davis posted:

:niggly: "Sorry, we won't be going ahead. We liked your class modelling and you had good test coverage, overall code layout was also good - but you could have used LINQ for some things, should have used DI, and core 2.1 has lifecyle management you could used (link to obscure unofficial blog post), we also wanted to see a three layer architecture for this tiny console app"

lol you probably already know but all of this is shallow as poo poo. none of this tells anything about your general coding skills and can be learned in 1 week.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
we hire for talent... and by talent we mean how closely your coding style matches our house style.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

i started the new job today and it owns owns owns over my old one already

(time to let the mundane parts settle in)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I used to work at a Scala shop that was unconventional in the sense that nobody thought very highly of the actor model, which I guess is what the rest of the Scala community is all about these days

and then would get super salty at candidates who submitted take-home tests using Akka instead of threads and locks and atomics as god intended and would not listen to me begging them to either be more open-minded or change the take-home wording :mad:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Kilometres Davis posted:

after short pleasantries and other assorted chit-chat

:v: "Well, it sounds like you've got some interesting projects, what does the stack look like?"
:niggly: "Ah, It's 99% C#"
:v: "Okay, well I have no experience with that, so thanks for reaching out to me and best of luck."
:niggly: "Ah, no no no, we're looking for solid engineers no matter the language. We're big on hiring for talent and attitude, we can train C# and .Net"
:v: "Really? Most of my recent experience is Python"
:niggly: "Well you can do the coding assignment in C# or Java, it's not overly complex you could probably give it a go in C# if you have decent object-oriented skills. We're looking more for how your code is for another team member to look at, where we can teach, things like that."
:v: "Alright it could be a good excuse to try out .Net"

submits assignment

I'm probably not going to stop doing takehomes but I sure am going to treat "we hire for talent and attitude not language skills" as a straight up lie.

consider this a bullet dodged

i had one process where i submitted a test assignment that looked like this: simple Golang program that does some input parsing, pasted into a Gist, the url of the Gist sent over HTTP to their bespoke trial assignment thing where you also had to figure out the HTTP TOTP (RFC 6238) generation so the POST would be received. it was interesting and not very difficult, i spent around 2h but their response was "nah not interested" without any other feedback.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Flat Daddy posted:

apple will be bigly expanding in my city

austin tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
jesus christ dinging you for not using poo poo new in core 2.1, that's absurd.