Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

numberoneposter posted:

im wearing my sardine socks today

edit: not my pic but same socks

:whatup:
Got a pair of these bad boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Made some Japanese eel bbq sauce stuff for my sardines. Lookin pretty classy y’all

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
The second place haiku prize is choice of a t-shirt, hat, or apron.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Male Tears posted:

The second place haiku prize is choice of a t-shirt, hat, or apron.

I opted for the shirt, since my last one is a size too big now. Congrats to any other winners! Hopefully they'll run another contest soon. They seem to pretty frequently.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i think that people in this thread make up the majority of the KO competition and thats just great

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I find the Brunswicks in the normal sardine tin way too big and meaty. On the other hand, the brislings they do in the weird tin with the see-through lid are really good.

Brunswick are way too big, but I tried to elevate the 'dine when I bought them. If you get a can that has 3 large sardines they keep together pretty well get two cans like that but if you get a 4 'dine can you can do the same thing but they are a lot more fragile. This is a rip of con le sard/puttanesca with pantry ingredients and veg that's old and turning. I've not written it in a legible recipe because the point was I was using what I had and was experimenting in flouring or breading large sardines like brunswick
I smothered 2 cans worth of brunswick in panko, any left over soiled panko crumbs I just toasted first in a dry pan and set aside for garnish.
Boil some water for spaghetti, oil the frypan with a strong olive oil and fry those panko coated sardines carefully, set aside. Fry some garlic, old tomatoes and red bell peppers for a few minutes. Add chilli flakes or pepper and a splash of fish sauce, vinegar (wine or sherry - or lemon and zest if you're fancy). Add some olives and capers, and stir. Use tongs to add cooked spaghetti to the pan - making sure that some pasta water comes along (instead of draining the pasta). Chuck onto plates add extra olive oil, add the toasted bread crumbs on top and some parsley if you're growing some.
Done.
That's what I did when I got stuck with brunswick sardines when I bought heaps on sale for $1ea recently. I made them palatable with stuff I already had laying around. Downside is it still tasted like large brunswick sardines.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 21, 2019

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

numberoneposter posted:

i think that people in this thread make up the majority of the KO competition and thats just great

I placed!! :coolfish:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

numberoneposter posted:

I was a first place winner in this contest!

They’re sending me a “Limited Edition box of Vintage Sardines” and a t shirt

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

california girl sardines are fuckin huge, come in a 15oz can for less than $3, and are “product of china”.

these are definitely fished illegally and probably processed by southeast asian slaves at that price point, right? or are bigger sardines generally cheaper because they dont fit in the little cans

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

california girl sardines are fuckin huge, come in a 15oz can for less than $3, and are “product of china”.

these are definitely fished illegally and probably processed by southeast asian slaves at that price point, right? or are bigger sardines generally cheaper because they dont fit in the little cans

I frequently get KO Tiny Tots for less than $3, so if anything that price point seems kind of high for fishies flavored with heavy metals and the tears of the innocent.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Does north korea count as southeast asia still?

In dine news, i fed my daughter kippers and saltines for dinner. Still trying to decide if this makes me a good dad or a bad dad.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I mean maybe work a vegetable in there but otherwise that seems fine.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Keith Atherton posted:

Sounds like someone is going to have to post a impeccably detailed picture review of them there sardines!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

Hey, fellow first place winner! I already have a KO T-shirt. It is dark gray and very soft. I also have black AND red aprons from them and a red cap I don't dare wear out in public, so I asked for another shirt.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I wish KO included Twitter in the contest.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have a choice of the apron, a shirt or a hat. I'll probably take the apron, as I have a billion t shirts (including a bootleg KO shirt from eBay) and I don't know what the hat looks like.

Any suggestions?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
GIS "king oscar hat" to get an idea of what to expect probably.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I did. I just don't know if it's a ballcap (which didnt come up in the search) or King-of-Scandanavia hat. I assume the former.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
On my last trip to the asian grocery I picked up one of the 15oz oval cans of Searam sardines in tomato sauce with chile, from Ecuador. I'm curious as hell but also kind of wondering when I'll be hungry enough to put a decent dent in a pound of canned fishies.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Planet X posted:

(including a bootleg KO shirt from eBay)

The fact this exists makes me very happy.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah I picked the hat, hoping it’s not MAGA red, but if it is, welp.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah I picked the hat, hoping it’s not MAGA red, but if it is, welp.

Mine is. My wife says it freaks her out every time she sees it in my closet.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
MESGA

(Make Eating Sardines Great Again)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MEGS - Maintain the Eternal Greatness of Sardines

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I frequently get KO Tiny Tots for less than $3, so if anything that price point seems kind of high for fishies flavored with heavy metals and the tears of the innocent.

im in the bay area so it almost certainly is

there’s also a 15oz can of chub mackerel for $2.50. i used that instead of tuna for a fish salad sandwich and whoo nelly that was the fishiest smelling sandwich i ever made. I had to open a window after my roommates started complaining

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I picked up some Geisha brand Smoked Mussels and did not like them. The flavor wasn't smoky at all and the texture was just too mushy.

I salvaged my lunch with a can of KO Mackerel. Hot drat that stuff is delicious.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you're in New England, Ocean State Job Lot has a decent 'dine and canned fish selection. Most cans $2 and under - and I got 16oz cans of jack mackerel for $1.50 each.

Made some kicking fishcakes last night.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Weltlich posted:

If you're in New England, Ocean State Job Lot has a decent 'dine and canned fish selection. Most cans $2 and under - and I got 16oz cans of jack mackerel for $1.50 each.

Made some kicking fishcakes last night.

Job Lot is the best. Good selection of Bob’s Red Mill things too.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I'm gonna win a reusable tin lid but I've never left a 'dine behind, I'm jealous of the vintage 'dine winners

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I'm in Latvia eating fried 'dines :cheers:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rozzbot posted:

I'm in Latvia eating fried 'dines :cheers:

oh god that looks amazing wanna crunch those crispy tails

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Trip report on Season brand Peppered Kipper Snack:

When I was at Job Lot, they had these for $1.50 each, so I grabbed a stack of 5 of them. It was a good decision. This is a kippered herring - and the fillet itself was very well cut and firm, but not overly hard. The cracked black pepper was a really nice touch, but the smokiness was what really got me. It claims to be a "lightly smoked" fillet, but it was smoky as hell. Like if you enjoy Riga Sprats, you'll be a fan of this - and when I looked on the back of the box, sure enough, it was packed in Latvia. I guess the Baltic states just take their smoky fish seriously. And I'm totally OK with that.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
The fish section of Riga's central market has a pretty amazing selection of canned fish as well as all kinds of smoked and fresh fish. Lamprey is apparently a local delicacy but I couldn't find anywhere that served it cooked.

I bought a few tins to bring home and had this one for lunch today.

Smoked dines/sprats are delicious as heck, I figure a few lunches like this should cancel out the grevious amounts of liquor I consumed over the weekend

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Probably gonna try to 'dine again today. I still have my reservations but it's always decent when I have them. This time I might just try KO dines in mustard sauce on crackers.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Finally pulled the trigger on a case of KO dines in Tapatio from Amazon since they seem to just be impossible to find here. I like KO, I like Tapatio, hopefully this can't go wrong because I'm gonna have 12 cans to get through.

Rozzbot posted:

The fish section of Riga's central market has a pretty amazing selection of canned fish as well as all kinds of smoked and fresh fish. Lamprey is apparently a local delicacy but I couldn't find anywhere that served it cooked.

Lampreys horrify me with their very existence but I'd be morbidly interested in a trip report from someone who did manage to eat them somewhere.

naem
May 29, 2011

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
good catte eatin good fishie

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Perfect in every way.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Zoe posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a case of KO dines in Tapatio from Amazon since they seem to just be impossible to find here. I like KO, I like Tapatio, hopefully this can't go wrong because I'm gonna have 12 cans to get through.

Yeah keep us posted because I'm considering this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Planet X posted:

Yeah keep us posted because I'm considering this
I won some from their launch contest and they were decent. Kinda hot but definitely not bad. I like their Spanish Style way better though, it's easily my favorite.