Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mmkay posted:

Would this actually work? I didn't think Sandy Bridge era motherboards had UEFI drivers capable of booting from NVMe drives.

They're only capable of it with modded BIOSes, but they are capable of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mmkay posted:

Would this actually work? I didn't think Sandy Bridge era motherboards had UEFI drivers capable of booting from NVMe drives.

I updated my x79 motherboard's bios with the nvme part from a newer platform and I could boot NVMe. The only way it could be installed however, was via the USB port on the back of the motherboard, as otherwise it would check for it to be signed and this one was obviously not.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Getting back on topic a bit more (the USB enclosure couldn't upload the new F/W to the drive either even though it was clear *something* was triggering the enclosure's activity light, and made the drive hot enough during formatting that it throttled :colbert:), TweakTown did a comprehensive test on the new Phison E11 12.1 firmware for the BPX Pro (and the MP510 eventually as well): https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8839/mydigitalssd-bpx-pro-firmware-12-update-higher-peaks/index.html

TL;DR: They found small improvements (and a few slower benchmarks) and surmised that the drive is positioned more for professional applications than with the 11.1 firmware. They say it's a drive that blends the price of the 970 EVO with the qualities people who need the 970 Pro look for. vOv

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
This is another review of the new 12.1 firmware that shows more positive results: https://www.legitreviews.com/mydigitalssd-bpx-pro-ssd-benchmarked-with-new-firmware-v12-1_209274

I do wonder about the firmware "11.1" in the TweakTown article though. They call it the original, but my drive shipped with 11.0, and that's the version that Legit Reviews is comparing against as well. I wonder if there is in fact an 11.1 floating out around there or if it's just a typo in the article. I don't recall seeing an update on their website prior to the 12.1 update though.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
Bought me a fancy ADATA SX8200 960GB via Rakuten. When I first got it going with a new Windows 10 install and checked the smart values with CrystalDiskInfo, I saw that power-on-hours was indeed small (~1) as expected but total host reads and writes were well over 1300 GB. (I should've checked the drive before installing Windows but I was too lazy.)

Are the smart values wrong/CDI is interpreting them incorrectly? (I don't think so--wrote 5 GB with a script and the delta in CDI reflected that.)

Did ADATA put the drive through some hoops and that's why there's already so much written?

Or did someone else have this drive installed, run that much reads/writes through, and then return it?

I know it's ~0.2% of the rated writes for the drive but I'm not a fan of getting a used part that was claimed to be new...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ChiralCondensate posted:

Bought me a fancy ADATA SX8200 960GB via Rakuten. When I first got it going with a new Windows 10 install and checked the smart values with CrystalDiskInfo, I saw that power-on-hours was indeed small (~1) as expected but total host reads and writes were well over 1300 GB. (I should've checked the drive before installing Windows but I was too lazy.)

Are the smart values wrong/CDI is interpreting them incorrectly? (I don't think so--wrote 5 GB with a script and the delta in CDI reflected that.)

Did ADATA put the drive through some hoops and that's why there's already so much written?

Or did someone else have this drive installed, run that much reads/writes through, and then return it?

I know it's ~0.2% of the rated writes for the drive but I'm not a fan of getting a used part that was claimed to be new...

I have a couple of the 480 GB versions of that drive in use, and although I don't know off the top of my head how much was written to them out of the box, on many of the SSDs I've checked they often have about the drive's total capacity written to them and perhaps 1-3 power cycles (all per CDI.) While ~1.3 TB is perhaps a bit more than I'd expect them to have written to that drive as a test before approving it for sale, that's within the realm of reason and I'd certainly rather have the drive's NAND fully tested before it gets to me.

I wouldn't worry about that drive, but if you're still concerned and can wait a few days, I can check one of the systems I have with the 480 GB SX8200 and tell you what the NAND flash writes are at currently (which include the OS install, a few tens of GB at this point, and a couple hundred GB of games added on.)

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

I have a couple of the 480 GB versions of that drive in use, and although I don't know off the top of my head how much was written to them out of the box, on many of the SSDs I've checked they often have about the drive's total capacity written to them and perhaps 1-3 power cycles (all per CDI.) While ~1.3 TB is perhaps a bit more than I'd expect them to have written to that drive as a test before approving it for sale, that's within the realm of reason and I'd certainly rather have the drive's NAND fully tested before it gets to me.

I wouldn't worry about that drive, but if you're still concerned and can wait a few days, I can check one of the systems I have with the 480 GB SX8200 and tell you what the NAND flash writes are at currently (which include the OS install, a few tens of GB at this point, and a couple hundred GB of games added on.)

Agreed that I'd rather have a tested drive than nothing, just would've thought somehow they'd've reset the tbw after that--please let me know what your test system says.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Another Phison drive to dilute the pricing pool: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13795/seagate-at-ces-2019-barracuda-510-and-firecuda-510-m2-nvme

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
My SSD drive looks to have pooped it’s pants.

It no longer shows up on my bios screen on start-up even though all cabling appears to be properly intact.

Is it still true that files on a pooped SSD can’t be recovered?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tortilla Maker posted:

It no longer shows up on my bios screen on start-up even though all cabling appears to be properly intact.

Depending on the model there might be some trick to get a last gasp out of it, like letting it sit in BIOS overnight. But it's probably hosed and the files generally irrecoverable, the data bits are not stored in a fashion that swapping a controller can let you read the data again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tortilla Maker posted:

try unplugging all other drives to force the pc to wait at the detecting drives stage of bios for a while. swap sata cables if you have spares.

alternately, put it in a USB caddy if you have one.

quote:

yeah. maybe data recovery places are able to do this now but with modern drives having always-on encryption I bet it's a bitch.

hmmm, this reminds me that I should write up a post in the backup thread since I spent some time crafting my own cool solution.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

priznat posted:

M.2 standoff screws are the most easily loseable screws and I hate them so much.

Motherboards that have those nylon standoffs that keeps the plug attached with a little rope are the best.

Wait, other people don't duct tape a baggie of screws to the inside of their case?

I'm kidding, but now that PSU shrouds are a thing I'm seriously considering it!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Stickman posted:

Wait, other people don't duct tape a baggie of screws to the inside of their case?

I'm kidding, but now that PSU shrouds are a thing I'm seriously considering it!

I keep the screw bags and unless the motherboard has 2 m.2 slots they never have an extra spacer/screw I find. Nylon m.2 securer thingies are where it’s at!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
HP announced the EX 950, the successor to the EX 920. It'll be interesting to see where pricing ends up. I've seen the EX 920 1TB go for under $140.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Looks like one of the cheaper performance models is getting pretty close to maxing out the interface. Prices and capacity only get better from here!

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.dramexchange.com/WeeklyResearch/Post/2/5192.html

quote:

In terms of the NAND Flash price trends for 2019, the quotes for various product lines would witness apparently steeper drop than DRAMeXchange’s previous forecasts, indicating the excess inventories faced by manufacturers. DRAMeXchange expects a quarterly decline of 20% in 1Q19, higher than previous forecast of 10%, and a further decline of nearly 15% QoQ in 2Q19. For 2H19, the price decline may be slightly moderated considering the coming of peak season, but prices would continue to fall by around 10% each quarter. It remains to be seen whether manufacturers are able to further limit their bit output growth. In sum, the average NAND Flash price would decrease by nearly a half in 2019, according to the calculation of DRAMeXchange.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Heck yess

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Wow. My trigger finger was getting a bit itchy when NVMe drives were hitting sub-$140 prices for a 1TB drive around Christmas, but I figured I'd hold off in hopes of things heading lower. Looks like I'll likely get my wish. Looking forward to still paying a $50 premium to jump from 32GB to 64GB in a smartphone :rolleyes:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
hell yeah

gonna make me an all flash array nas

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Get one of these if your motherboard supports quad x4 bifurcation:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=ULTRA%20QUAD%20M.2%20CARD

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Wow. My trigger finger was getting a bit itchy when NVMe drives were hitting sub-$140 prices for a 1TB drive around Christmas, but I figured I'd hold off in hopes of things heading lower. Looks like I'll likely get my wish. Looking forward to still paying a $50 premium to jump from 32GB to 64GB in a smartphone :rolleyes:

If you want to have a laugh, take a gander at the Mac threads where people are discussing whether 128 GB are enough because of Apple's extortionate SSD pricing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Lambert posted:

If you want to have a laugh, take a gander at the Mac threads where people are discussing whether 128 GB are enough because of Apple's extortionate SSD pricing.

:allears:

$200 cost increase to go from from 128gb to 256gb in TYOOL 2019. It's honestly unsettling that they even offer 128GB as a base option. This would be so much funnier if I didn't know I was inevitably going to be buying this crap the next time my wife's laptop dies.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The apple ecosystem is basically the same as smoking. You make the fatal error of starting in the first place, then you continue to be punished with each purchase.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

codo27 posted:

The apple ecosystem is basically the same as smoking. You make the fatal error of starting in the first place, then you continue to be punished with each purchase.

It's worse, because you're coached to blame yourself for a product breaking or not meeting your needs, and the real causes of dissatisfaction are much easier to hide than the surgeon general's reports of poisons in tobacco

brand cults are fun

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't wait for them to start putting the warnings on Apple products.

"Using Apple products causes harm to yourself and others around you." Accompanied by a before and after picture of a phone headphone jack disappearing.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I mean, to be fair, it is as simple to quit as not buying a thing. But for some people, the feeling of inadequacy from not keeping up with the latest fashions can be crippling

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm gonna add a 2nd NVME drive if 2TB ever hits $150 so I can get rid of SATA power and data cables for good and also because PC hardware is now so loving boring with a 8700K/32GB DDR4-3200/GTX 1070

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have a couple of Samsung NVMe drives. I did the overprovisioning with the Samsung Magician software and set it at 10% on both drives. With the overprovisioning, can I nearly fill the drives or do I still need to worry about not going over 70% capacity as in the earlier days of SSDs? There seems to be some conflicting information about this elsewhere.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I have a couple of Samsung NVMe drives. I did the overprovisioning with the Samsung Magician software and set it at 10% on both drives. With the overprovisioning, can I nearly fill the drives or do I still need to worry about not going over 70% capacity as in the earlier days of SSDs? There seems to be some conflicting information about this elsewhere.

The more free space (by any means) the better, but since you already know you've got the base ~7% or whatever plus another 10% you can be more comfortable filling the drive closer to capacity. It's less of an issue if you're not constantly re-writing at near capacity.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I don't think you really need to baby SSDs anymore. Remove Samsung Magician, use the full capacity. Enjoy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nah, leave the factory overprovision in if you're gonna use the drive for a long time.

If you're enviously looking at a tiny factory overprovision with the desire to recover said sliver of overprovision space as system-formatrable capacity, you bought too small a drive.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 22, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
These days overprovision should be tailored to your tasks, not a strict % of drive space. If you have 100GB overprovisioned and you never write more than ~50GB in any operation it is more than you need. 10% was a reasonable number from back in the days when $1/GB was cheap and people had tiny ssds.

Personally, I overprovision my drives by formatting them to divisible-by-5 in gibibytes, so that the drives have pleasing numbers when I look at them in explorer. And yes, this means that my HDDs are also "overprovisioned".

Potato Salad posted:

Nah, leave the factory overprovision in if you're gonna use the drive for a long time.

If you're enviously looking at a tiny factory overprovision with the desire to recover said sliver of overprovision space as system-formatrable capacity, you bought too small a drive.

Don't think anyone was talking about that, just the 10% (of normally user-accessible space) that samsung magician does if you let it do whatever it wants to.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dude, no one is burning their NAND out. 99% of the time failure is controller fuckery. You guys are just spinning your wheels.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

redeyes posted:

Dude, no one is burning their NAND out. 99% of the time failure is controller fuckery. You guys are just spinning your wheels.

It's rarely been about "burning out" the NAND. Earlier SSDs had lovely garbage collection, though, and needed a good chunk of free space to play with in order to be able to operate efficiently; filling them to 100% wouldn't kill the drive, just drive write performance into the ground.

That said, modern drives are a lot better, and most come with sufficiently built-in overprovisioning / reserved space that you don't need to muck with adding anything extra on top of it. Just leave the things alone. If you find yourself regularly at 90+% capacity, you can just get a bigger one for real cheap these days anyhow.

isndl
May 2, 2012

redeyes posted:

Regardless of the lifespan of the NAND, the controller is going to shuffle bits for whatever magical reason in the background and you don't want your IO to slow to a crawl because the controller is too busy shuffling. Overprovisioning guarantees known free space for the controller to do its job, especially important on older systems that don't natively support SSDs to issue TRIM commands.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

Regardless of the lifespan of the NAND, the controller is going to shuffle bits for whatever magical reason in the background and you don't want your IO to slow to a crawl because the controller is too busy shuffling. Overprovisioning guarantees known free space for the controller to do its job, especially important on older systems that don't natively support SSDs to issue TRIM commands.

This does not happen with consumer workloads.

isndl
May 2, 2012

redeyes posted:

This does not happen with consumer workloads.

Right, because consumers are known for never filling their drives to capacity right before Windows decides to install updates or whatever.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

Right, because consumers are known for never filling their drives to capacity right before Windows decides to install updates or whatever.

If you are that low on space you have other problems.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I have a feeling that the number of people that know enough to over provision their drives to preserve performance but also are too cheap to buy a bigger SSD when they run right up to the (now lower) capacity limit is not that huge

Or maybe it is larger than I thought but at that point you have no one to blame but yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

redeyes posted:

If you are that low on space you have other problems.

Sometimes it's someone else's problems. I'd much rather overprovision a computer that I'm handing off to parents/spouse/family etc. than get a complaint about things running slowly followed by working tech support into my schedule for a preventable problem.