Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Monaghan posted:

Ippo's humor is pretty dumb, but I'd by lying if I said it wasn't hilarious at times.

The Look-Away technique :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Kamogawa still alive and teaching horrible loving boxing like "just take the hits with your JAPANESE COURAGE" which is probably why Ippo has CTE at like 25?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

The Look-Away technique :v:

both in manga and in anime I found the look away hilarious mainly because the opponent had to try so hard to resist the urge. cat curiosity and all that.

Pierson posted:

Is Kamogawa still alive and teaching horrible loving boxing like "just take the hits with your JAPANESE COURAGE" which is probably why Ippo has CTE at like 25?
Yes and no he doesnt tell takamura to just take hits cause that would get him killed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

quite stretched out posted:

what if you hosed it to death what do you get called then

Zangief

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What's the dumb recurring joke?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I think this was the thread that clued me into the new Exiles run, and it's definitely the thread that occasionally gets interested in showing time passage in interesting ways.

(Exiles #10)

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What's the dumb recurring joke?

I'm going to assume it's about Ippo's heavyweight dong.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Belgian Waffle posted:

I'm going to assume it's about Ippo's heavyweight dong.

i think the 7 years of hell thing is the most reoccuring joke but thats like 2 or 3.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edjumakation time :eng101:

The Kancho is not exclusively an Ippo thing, and has been a looooong running manga gag

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Infinitum posted:

Edjumakation time :eng101:

The Kancho is not exclusively an Ippo thing, and has been a looooong running manga gag

quote:

In Japan multiple people have died or been injured by having compressed air being blasted into their anus; kancho is stated to have set a cultural precedent for this phenomenon.

Burn it all down.

Except yotsuba.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
DEMONS

KILL SIX BILLION OF THEM

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
That is a really metal abode. :megadeath:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

The whole comic is metal as gently caress. My favorite page is still when 6 Juggernaut Star Scours the Universe makes his intro on a skele-cycle

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-10/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

The whole comic is metal as gently caress. My favorite page is still when 6 Juggernaut Star Scours the Universe makes his intro on a skele-cycle

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-10/

The imagery and imagination in Kill 6 Billion Demons is so, so good.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I picked up the first volume of Walt Simonson's run on Thor. This is how it starts...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
gently caress YEAH INJECT THAT poo poo DIRECTLY INTO MY VEINS!!

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 23, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thor is always best when it is metal as gently caress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I rearranged my books the other night. LET ME TELL YOU how pissed I was when I dropped my Simonson Thor Omnibus and crunched the corner a little (not bad, but some). Real pissed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

IronSaber posted:

More importantly, 30 kinds of tea!!!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Immortal Hulk #12

Context: Bruce is in hell, having physically been split from the hulk, while his Devil-Father is trying to use him to bring about the end of the world.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I'm a bit confused. Are Puck and Absorbing Man in Hell? How did they come to be working together? Has Creel gone straight?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ManiacClown posted:

I'm a bit confused. Are Puck and Absorbing Man in Hell? How did they come to be working together? Has Creel gone straight?

Creel is presumably here as a result of what happened to him in Black Bolt.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On Puck and Absorbing Man:

They're both in this version of Hell due to the battle that went down several issues ago in Immortal Hulk. They were both alive, Creel had been powered up by the Hulk hunting unit.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

On Puck and Absorbing Man:

They're both in this version of Hell due to the battle that went down several issues ago in Immortal Hulk. They were both alive, Creel had been powered up by the Hulk hunting unit.

Puck was in hell after the died by Xorn The Collective. He went to hell, helped wolverine escape, and actually ruled it for a while until he escaped during Fear Itself, so he's familiar with it. He's part of the new Alpha Flight, lead by Carol Danvers, and is on a special Hulk Hunting Unit called Gamma Flight. He found Creel after Creel absorbed the Hulk's excess Gamma (which is why Hulk looks emaciated with loose flaps of skin everywhere) and accidentally became a Gamma irradiated door into hell, the he recruited him to help them bring Banner back.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 23, 2019

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

How in the gently caress do you go back to working for a living after you've ruled hell.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He had to save his teammates.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This is in my Funnies folder because I can't read someone casually mentioning they ruled Hell with a straight face

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The first thing he says when the portal opened was along the lines of 'Oh this place again.'

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm really sorry about the quality of these images, but Avengers 13 this week is so drat good.

It's the story of the first Iron Fist, the woman who punched a dragon. She teaches martial arts to cave men and K'un-L'un is like 'hey, that's crimes and we're going to kill them all and then you' and Fan Fei is all 'actually, up yours.'

These aren't the most badass moments from the book, you should read the whole thing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It was very very good and the cover was very very bad. I like Aaron's Avengers a lot-- it's throwing a lot in the air and it has the potential to implode under its own weight, but it feels so much joyous and playful than the last big "ideas" run on the series with Hickman.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Krakatoa Face Exploder is the best name for anything. Up to and including wrestling finishers. :black101:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I practically guarantee you he wanted to call it "Krakatoa Face Exploda" but had to forego the rhyme in order to pretend it was a real martial arts technique.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

Krakatoa Face Exploder is the best name for anything. Up to and including wrestling finishers. :black101:

One of my favorite bits of business from the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja run of Iron Fist is this scene where Danny and Orson are fighting a ton of Hydra, and it's a mostly dialogue-less scene where they gently caress poo poo up while the narration provides names like "Raging Swallow Strike" "Palm of 40 Sorrows" and then one of the last ones is "Brooklyn Headbutt".

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of my favorite bits of business from the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja run of Iron Fist is this scene where Danny and Orson are fighting a ton of Hydra, and it's a mostly dialogue-less scene where they gently caress poo poo up while the narration provides names like "Raging Swallow Strike" "Palm of 40 Sorrows" and then one of the last ones is "Brooklyn Headbutt".

Of course, you can't forget Fat Cobra's style.

(Immortal Weapons #1)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fat Cobra was too good for this world.

Has he ever shown up outside of that particular run and its immediate spin-offs?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Fat Cobra was too good for this world.

Has he ever shown up outside of that particular run and its immediate spin-offs?

Yeah, he was in a Deadpool/Gambit team-up (it was a 4 issue run I think)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's part of Black Panther's new Agents of Wakanda as of two issues of Avengers ago (though I don't think he actually *appears*).

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

He was in Aaron's Wolverine run, fighting to save San Francisco's Chinatown from a drug lord using an underground opium plantation protected by dragons.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BioTech posted:

He was in Aaron's Wolverine run, fighting to save San Francisco's Chinatown from a drug lord using an underground opium plantation protected by dragons.

Goddammit, I love comics so much. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Where have I heard that plot before....?

That was it! Rise of the Dragon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIue08JFz9k