Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The most charitable scenario I can imagine behind that image is that in addition to storing the hashed password, they also have it broken down into hashed 3 letter segments as well, to prevent any sequence of 3 from being reused, and " Z " (note spaces) is the one it's triggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or the check is client-side javascript.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's storing passwords in some weird plaintext fashion, I'm guessing. One that somehow regexes for "/\s[Z]\s/".

https://twitter.com/MrDrem/status/1086423181714440192

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

loving hell! :stonklol:

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

iospace posted:

This is what it spit out as an example:
dGHPôjÍK´þ1©¹¹nNàýÚû I¾¿û©Qů{À¡

So pretty much "gently caress all your attacks."

And no, I'm not going to use that. I generated that one for the sole purpose of demonstrating it here :v:

I would pay to see someone enter this password while standing physically next to their server. Extra points if the keyboard layout doesnt match the physical keyboard.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

To be fair, the regex matches the description in the error message. No more, no less.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Since normal people never read error messages, that one is just fine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They never read error messages because they're "crazy computer gibberish"

The circle is now complete

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Forget the contents, that color choice makes the message illegible.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

terrenblade posted:

"Red on white, it looks alright
White on red, I wish I was dead."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

terrenblade posted:

To be fair the original is probably readable, but jpg compression fucks with red in particular.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/DCFurs/status/1087663240421593089

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:ohdear:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

deer me, I hope that's not a DOE facility.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Soaker Party! posted:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's certainly the most delicious ticket you'll get all year.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

What's the venison version of veal? Tender and delicious.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Super Soaker Party! posted:

We're going to be fawning over that thing for the next page, aren't we?

SO ADORABLE

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

Since normal people never read error messages, that one is just fine.

"Hey, could you come look at my computer? I just got an error."
"What did it say?"
"I don't know. I just clicked it away."

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

or "Something about product x, i dunno"

:v: Well then I won't be looking at your computer then!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I support a software application that runs on Windows Mobile devices. When you tap on the app, it launches. If you tap on the app twice, it launches and you get an error that basically says "App is already running. If you opened it twice, tap "OK" to continue, otherwise tap "Reboot" to proceed with rebooting the device to prevent multiple instances of the application from running".

You'll never guess how many people tap Reboot without reading it and then call us because their device restarted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gold medal design there

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I called helpdesk and said “windows won’t load on workstation Xxxxxxx. It doesn’t detect a hard drive. The hard drive does not show up in BIOS. I ran the diagnostics tool you guys always run anyway. I opened the box and dusted everything and unplugged / replugged the power and sata cables. Still not recognized. One of our doctors needs this computer today or he will have to find a place to use a crappy laptop way out of the way and work at half speed and not be able to dictate notes. Please, hurry and bring another box or freshly imaged drive. It’s flu season.”

A guy showed up two days later and piddles around with the pc for like 45 minutes (???) to determine the problem and then said “Huh. Guess I have to go get a new one!” And he didn’t come back with the new one until the next day. It cost us dearly.

Two days after that, I got the email about the ticket being opened at the same time I got the one about it being closed. The helpdesk’s message said “computer won’t start in doctor area” and nothing else.

HDDs making GBS threads themselves is becoming a monthly occurrence around here. I hear it’s even worse in other facilities where they have already switched to super-cheap SSDs instead of having 10-year old shitboxes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

freeedr posted:

HDDs making GBS threads themselves is becoming a monthly occurrence around here. I hear it’s even worse in other facilities where they have already switched to super-cheap SSDs instead of having 10-year old shitboxes.

What the hell are they doing that's killing HDD's and SSD's regularly?

And why do you not keep spares onsite if this is a regular occurrence?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What the hell are they doing that's killing HDD's and SSD's regularly?

And why do you not keep spares onsite if this is a regular occurrence?

Running our lovely EMR program and Dragon dictation software is basically all these computers do. Check email here and there. We don’t get spares on-site for the same reason we have extremely outdated computers in the first place: corporate bullshit. The VP of operations comes by about once a year to ask how things are going and I usually lay into him. He forgets not to ask me and I see the regret creep into his face every time, then he transitions to fake concern after a couple of minutes, takes down a few notes of what I said, then goes back to his office to throw the notes away and take a nap

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Home and work confluence has arrived and I'm at a loss.

Wife's work laptop (Dell) VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) refuses to resolve any external sites when on my 5GHz network (ac). If she tethers to her phone (2.4GHz n), it works fine. If she connects to the 2.4GHz n network at home, it works fine.

But when she's on the home 5GHz network, DNS queries to non-corporate IPs (Slack, GMail, etc) all fail through the VPN-provided DNS server.

My work laptop (2017 touchbar MBP) has no trouble with external resolution of any non-blocked sites when connected to the VPN (PulseSecure) on the 5GHz ac network.

I don't have any special settings on the router (Netgear Nighthawk X4S) other than restricting DHCP range to the 2-100 IPs.

I'm at a loss in my troubleshooting, and her work IT is utterly loving useless.

I don't see any settings for AP isolation on the main WiFi, only on the guest network, which I don't use.

Where else could I look? Or is this just "A Thing" with certain ac chips in laptops?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

suuma posted:

I support a software application that runs on Windows Mobile devices.

Ugh.. bad memories..

About 4 years ago we finally moved away from our fleet of 40ish Symbol MC5040s. That was a great day indeed. gently caress ActiveSync.

They where generally 802.11b only, though some later revisions had 802.11g radios, and only just supported WPA1-PSK. Fun fact: running WPA-PSK on most wifi equipment results in 802.11g speed limits. We had to run a separate SSID just for these drat things to avoid slowing other devices down.

We also had some major issues with them when we introduced Unifi APs into our environment. Apparently many older Symbol/Motorola devices are not quite 100% 802.11b/g compliant. Ubiquiti ended up buying a second hand MC5040 so they could test the issue themselves and sent me a patched Unifi firmware; the fix was eventually rolled out into the public releases.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

AlexDeGruven posted:

Wife's work laptop (Dell) VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) refuses to resolve any external sites when on my 5GHz network (ac). If she tethers to her phone (2.4GHz n), it works fine. If she connects to the 2.4GHz n network at home, it works fine.

But when she's on the home 5GHz network, DNS queries to non-corporate IPs (Slack, GMail, etc) all fail through the VPN-provided DNS server.

My work laptop (2017 touchbar MBP) has no trouble with external resolution of any non-blocked sites when connected to the VPN (PulseSecure) on the 5GHz ac network.

I don't have any special settings on the router (Netgear Nighthawk X4S) other than restricting DHCP range to the 2-100 IPs.

I don't see any settings for AP isolation on the main WiFi, only on the guest network, which I don't use.

Where else could I look? Or is this just "A Thing" with certain ac chips in laptops?

It's not dns
There's no way it's dns
It was dns

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's not dns
There's no way it's dns
It was dns

cries fitfully in the corner, occasionally muttering, "I TOLD THEM IT WAS DNS AND THEY DIDN'T LISTEN."

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

AlexDeGruven posted:

Are they hitting the same VPN DNS address when connected to both networks?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Are they hitting the same VPN DNS address when connected to both networks?

Yep. The VPN connection works identically, EXCEPT for DNS resolution through the same point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

Fun fact: running WPA-PSK on most wifi equipment results in 802.11g speed limits. We had to run a separate SSID just for these drat things to avoid slowing other devices down.

This is actually in the spec. 802.11n and above mandate WPA2, any devices that support WPA1 at 802.11n or above speeds are technically doing it wrong.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

stevewm posted:

Ugh.. bad memories..

About 4 years ago we finally moved away from our fleet of 40ish Symbol MC5040s. That was a great day indeed. gently caress ActiveSync.

We've got an Android app now which is slowly taking off at least :unsmith:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

suuma posted:

We've got an Android app now which is slowly taking off at least :unsmith:

This is exactly what occurred in our case as well. Our EDI/POS software company said they where abandoning their Windows Mobile software and replaced it with a Android app.

So now I have a fleet of Motorola ET1 tablets (OK devices, but Zebra discontinued the drat batteries when they took over Moto's enterprise division and no 3rd party makes them, so they are nearly impossible to find now). And recently added some MC70s.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yolo'in update 4 of veeam rn to get at scale out storage w/ AWS. Wish me luck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FWIW I installed update 4 yesterday with no issues.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

incoherent posted:

Yolo'in update 4 of veeam rn to get at scale out storage w/ AWS. Wish me luck.

I would love a trip report once you have AWS added to your SOBR and data flowing to it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Is the veeam update process relatively easy? I have "install latest update" on my list of things to do but since I only learnt what veeam was last November, I'm a bit wary of changing in production.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Super disarmingly easy. You can let that Backup exec PTSD fall away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

incoherent posted:

Super disarmingly easy. You can let that Backup exec PTSD fall away.

Funny we switched from that to veeam too.