Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Not sure if this got posted during HBomb's bananas outing with the stars, but thread stalwart Kim Justice posted her Top 100 Games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go_buLWCYLc

I think we must be close to the same age and have had a similar upbringing because the only times I disagree here are where I didn't own the particular system in question. Oh and my 'game I play through to the end every time I remember it exists' is Altered Beast rather than Golden Axe, which was more a co-op game I'd play with my brother. We weren't allowed to pick the dwarf because his wide swings would murder teammates. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Glad I'm not alone

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

I guess some people just really liked it and thought it was a good action movie. Then again I've had people explain to my face, in all earnestly, that Baywatch 2017 was actually a masterpiece and I was being a snob for not recognizing it as such. So I'm not that surprised.

People will like anything, regardless of its quality.

I don't mean to sound like a snob but that's just how things are. Someone probably prefers their food super well done instead of medium, or likes the fact that their faucets screech when they turn them. You can't stop it, just like you can't stop people from referencing Harry Potter all the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

audiences are dumb. hereditary got a d+ cinemascore or some poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

audiences are dumb. hereditary got a d+ cinemascore or some poo poo.

Well yeah. No poo poo. It's a weird, challenging film. That's not what people want.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People don't even want Glass, except me and my Dad I guess lol. The whole film reminded me of Alien Covenant, where it just said gently caress you, you're with me or you're not. And after rewatching most of Shamalyan's work, I'm totally down. I've begun to appreciate his weird sensibilities and his just gonzo attempts at films these days. The Visit is a pretty fun horror comedy with these little touches that click with me super hard (main character shooting her doc like a movie, which is def me). Split is insane and shouldn't work, but does due to an incredible performances from the two leads. Glass just works for me because keeps the feel of Unbreakable with Split shoved into it. I think it's one of those films that works better on a second watch because the twist doesn't seem to come out of nowhere. It has a lot of lead up, even in the first film. It basically answers the biggest question the first film had. It's just a weird as gently caress answer.

Also it also depends on how much you feel emotionally connected to Unbreakable. If that film moves you, and you're game for it, Glass hits similar notes. As mean and dark as the ending is, it's also very sympathetic to characters who probably don't deserve it. I just found it really interesting to watch. I totally get why others don't, but lol at making GBS threads on people that like Glass. No one will remember that this movie existed except for us dumb nerds who wanted an Unbreakable follow up.

We won't hurt you lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Alien Covenant pandered hard lol.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

He's been checked out of doing anything for at least a decade. The last film I remember him even halfway trying to act in was Looper, which is 7 years old now. If anything Joseph Gordon Levitt had to do the bulk of the acting in that one because not only did he have to act like Bruce Willis, he had to act like a Bruce Willis who barely gave a poo poo.

The Comedy Central Roast of Bruce Willis that they did last year was absolutely loving brutal on what a lazy miserable hack the dude is... oh and it's worth watching just for Edward Norton's 10 minute long rant where he talks about nothing but Edward Norton. That part was amazing.

I think Die Hard 4 was when you could watch him experience egodeath onscreen. After that, all we got were mild twitches of effort that seemed to surprise him as much as us. Like he suddenly woke up on set and went "poo poo, where am I? Camera's rolling? Gotta give them something, I guess."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only to me and all the other people who wanted more adventures of David.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sephyr posted:

I think Die Hard 4 was when you could watch him experience egodeath onscreen. After that, all we got were mild twitches of effort that seemed to surprise him as much as us. Like he suddenly woke up on set and went "poo poo, where am I? Camera's rolling? Gotta give them something, I guess."

I have to wonder if it's just that Bruce Willis is still sad/mad about his singing career not panning out, and he's tired of being typecast as being the 'gruff action dude.'

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

would you characterise him as possibly developing the blues?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ghostlight posted:

would you characterise him as possibly developing the blues?

:golfclap:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
he's sincerely good in Moonrise Kingdom but I don't think he likes working with challenging directors that often, and his character in that film is so specifically commenting on willis as a performer in a broader sense I can't imagine him working in other wes anderson films (though I'd love to be proven wrong)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think probably the biggest obstacle to communication between critics and the rest of the world is the use of "good" to mean both "well-made" and "enjoyable," because critics use it for the former and non-critics use it for the latter.

Though being all "Oh man, how could you possibly like that bad, bad thing?!" doesn't help. People like what they like, and it's lovely to judge them for it like 99% of the time, because liking stuff generally doesn't come from a reasoned set of opinions, it's just an emotional reaction.

Like I don't want every movie to be found footage trash, but good golly if I am not down for that poo poo when I run across it, because it's fun.

You don't have to like it, too. You can hate it if you want. But don't be a weird snobby dick about Those Commoners and their Unenlightened Preferences for The Bad Things.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Puppy Time posted:

I think probably the biggest obstacle to communication between critics and the rest of the world is the use of "good" to mean both "well-made" and "enjoyable," because critics use it for the former and non-critics use it for the latter.

The better critics are the ones that manage to make clear what they mean. There will always be people who ignore or misinterpret what they're saying, but part of being a good critic is having the communications skills to get their point across to the most people. And sometimes that does mean adding 'dumbed-down' concepts like thumbs up/down to their reviews. The good critic makes their work, and their explanation of the medium, accessible on multiple levels. In many ways, that's more important than the opinions they have.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomb there’s going to be footage of you in sedate pbs documentaries 30 years from now:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1087902584600514561?s=20

You’re going to be in historians’ footnotes. Or those hand outline cave paintings, deoending on which way the species breaks wrt global warming.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Hbomb there’s going to be footage of you in sedate pbs documentaries 30 years from now:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1087902584600514561?s=20

You’re going to be in historians’ footnotes. Or those hand outline cave paintings, deoending on which way the species breaks wrt global warming.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New episode of Nick Knacks on The Adventures of Black Beauty, a British 70s television ""adaptation"" of the book. I mean, the screenwriters were probably in the same room as a copy of the book at one point. Jokes aside, it's actually pretty good!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did they not recognize loving Comrade Chelsea in that? And they cut out Dan’s better-than-any-American questions. I’m beginning to think these journalists may not take their jobs entirely seriously.

We need teen vogue running profiles on everyone from the stream.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

How did they not recognize loving Comrade Chelsea in that? And they cut out Dan’s better-than-any-American questions. I’m beginning to think these journalists may not take their jobs entirely seriously.

We need teen vogue running profiles on everyone from the stream.

Journalies

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

glad i'm not the only one miffed by that

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nowthis is just buzzfeed but somehow less insightful

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

It has come up on Twitter a bunch now but there have been a few publications that have dropped the ball on some of their coverage of the stream. The one from Independent has such a misleading title that it looks like AOC herself organized a Donkey Kong stream for Mermaid.

The one that I liked the most was the Ars Technica article, which specifically refers to the way the stream morphed more and more away from a video game stream and into a platform for which trans people can share their experiences and knowledge. While AOC is an incredible get, that was one of the real triumphs of the stream.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

I’m beginning to think these journalists may not take their jobs entirely seriously.

I joke. Harrris is named in the second paragraph ant the Indy has other articles on the same thing with him in the headline. I just thought it was funny

Baywatching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS4AOw8peww

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Also it also depends on how much you feel emotionally connected to Unbreakable. If that film moves you, and you're game for it, Glass hits similar notes. As mean and dark as the ending is, it's also very sympathetic to characters who probably don't deserve it. I just found it really interesting to watch. I totally get why others don't, but lol at making GBS threads on people that like Glass. No one will remember that this movie existed except for us dumb nerds who wanted an Unbreakable follow up.
See, here's where this whole train of thought just gets weird.

I love Unbreakable. One of my all time favourites. One of the first movies that really got me super invested in film as a craft.

Glass not only failed to deliver on what I was looking for in an Unbreakable follow up, it retroactively made Unbreakable worse.

It's just so shoddy. David functionally disappears for the better part of an hour because of a combination of an incredibly poorly thought out plot and Bruce Willis' prodigious ability to un-try. The meta-commentary is silly, self-contradictory, and largely incoherent as a result. There's a tremendous amount of build up to a climax that is """subverted""" in a way that just-so-happens to be much, much cheaper to shoot. I'd already clocked the general outline of the "big" twist from the moment the relevant character walked on screen, and the reveal failed to either clarify or re-contextualize. The final final final twist, at the end of a parade of increasingly low-stakes twists, is given a comical amount of implied weight that even at first blush doesn't gel with what was literally shown on screen and gets actively worse the longer you think about it. They spent nine weeks shooting yet the movie looks like they shot it in nine days.

It reminded me of every crappy vanity project where the hero just happens to drive the exact same make, model, and colour car as the director.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nice Graham Linehan cameo a couple of pages ago

I still smile when I think of how much money was raised. It's actually reinvigorated a lot of good feeling in me about the good we do together, which is nice. I feel that I was going down kind of a bad hole a year-ish ago but I feel better now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t really force you to like the movie. I’m not well equipped to explain why other than it just clicked. When taking it as a whole it felt right to me, more so the second time. All the pieces lined up.

Also there’s some great shots, I found. The shot in Glass’ eye comes to mind, as well as the shot in the window pane where our side characters all come together. It felt like comic panels, a touch I found to be interesting.

But like I said, I’m not going to try and get you to like it. I don’t have any interest in that. But I’m happy it exists.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

It was incredibly weird and awesome watching the stream morph into this trans experience tribune.From four thousand people watching the stream and the early milestones to the 25k and the craziness going in the chat.Felt being part of something bigger than just a charity stream.Left wing youtube feels small and under siege by a wave of right wing garbage.This felt "going on the offensive" for once.

I also couldn't resist it when Dan Olson came into the stream at the beginning and I had to mention Snyder :v:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Electronico6 posted:

His latest movies are all self-financed though, no one in Hollywood is paying him to make movies.

He also thinks that Hollywood spends way too much on movies and that if he keeps self-financing it might help change the perception that the mid-budget movie is dead. He's got a lot of wacky ideas, but betting on yourself multiple times (He literally self-financed his last 3 movies) and winning is going to do that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What other game has a reputation for sheer arduousness like DK64?

Not necessarily the longest game or the hardest game, but a game that goes overboard with a mechanic at the expense of fun.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 23, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dwarf Fort, Space Station 13, Pathologic, and Aurora x4 all fit that bill but are significantly less player friendly than DK64. Though Pathologic is more about mood and story trumping fun rather than mechanics.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rimworld, the definition of "the creator accidentally made a good game, use mods to revert the stupid unfun changes he keeps making to his game"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not necessarily the longest game or the hardest game, but a game that goes overboard with a mechanic at the expense of fun.

most recent game that comes to mind is YIIK, everything is so absurdly slow because there's time-consuming and horribly designed minigames for every RPG action that happens and the dialogue so torturous I couldn't get past like the hour mark before refunding

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Comedy answer is Red Dead Redemption 2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I've been deep in to the SaGa series these past few weeks (I keep bringing them up on various threads) but it kind of fits the bill.

Last Remnant's crafting system is a pain, and upgrading your side-characters stuff is even worse, but you need to do it to have a chance against the various bonus bosses.

The Battle Rank system can also really screw you over in the original XBOX version.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been deep in to the SaGa series these past few weeks (I keep bringing them up on various threads) but it kind of fits the bill.

SaGa is at least a refined version of these gonzo mechanics with some level of choice as to how much you want, Final Fantasy II is the real rough draft of going overboard with it.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Dragon Quest 7 was kind of similar in that they both seem to put way too much effort into feeling "big" and having long playtimes due to being their franchises big entry into the console generation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FreezingInferno posted:

SaGa is at least a refined version of these gonzo mechanics with some level of choice as to how much you want, Final Fantasy II is the real rough draft of going overboard with it.

One day I'm going to finish FFII.

One day.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

MonsieurChoc posted:

One day I'm going to finish FFII.

One day.

Finishing that game is the first time I ever finished a game out of spite, and as the credits rolled I vowed "never again".
Just play Final Fantasy Legend instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FreezingInferno posted:

Finishing that game is the first time I ever finished a game out of spite, and as the credits rolled I vowed "never again".
Just play Final Fantasy Legend instead.

I like Emperor Palamecia, the villain you kill halfway through and then he just takes over Hell.