Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

"Occult symbols" you could be punished for displaying included:

Star of David
Anything with Hebrew writing

“I know Weinstein’s parents were upset, superintendent, but I was sure it was a phony excuse. It sounds so made up, ‘Yom Kip-poor’.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OTOH, one time, inspired by a Jon Stewart bit, I successfully called out of work due to a made-up Jewish holiday so maybe they were onto something :downs:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the year before 9/11 some of the brown muslim kids at my highschool dressed as terrorists one halloween and in the daily assembly one of them walked to the front, left a briefcase by the podium and bolted. they got a stern talking-to and maybe detention but nothing serious

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

goethe.cx posted:

we managed to slip a "cunning linguists" joke onto our debate team sweatshirts

master debaters

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Literally A Person posted:

Can we talk about favorite dumb rules?

I had a history teacher in high school whose punishment for swearing was increasing increments of push ups. No write-ups, no detention, just many many push ups.

Was he also one of the sports coaches? Because a couple teachers, who were also the Varsity Track and Football coaches, liked to dole out pushups as in-class punishment too.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was he also one of the sports coaches? Because a couple teachers, who were also the Varsity Track and Football coaches, liked to dole out pushups as in-class punishment too.

Totes a track coach. Also like 12' tall and loved Lyndon B.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

poverty goat posted:

the year before 9/11 some of the brown muslim kids at my highschool dressed as terrorists one halloween and in the daily assembly one of them walked to the front, left a briefcase by the podium and bolted. they got a stern talking-to and maybe detention but nothing serious

Truly a different time

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

poverty goat posted:

At one point, I think in the 5th grade, my brother found an old briefcase and took it to school in lieu of a backpack. There was nothing nefarious, it just had his books and school supplies in it. His teacher and the administration proceeded to freak the gently caress out. They hauled him into the office for questioning and then ordered him never to bring it again, even going so far as to call our parents and tell them to never let him bring it to school again. This was before Columbine and 9/11 as well.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

The_Franz posted:

At one point, I think in the 5th grade, my brother found an old briefcase and took it to school in lieu of a backpack. There was nothing nefarious, it just had his books and school supplies in it. His teacher and the administration proceeded to freak the gently caress out. They hauled him into the office for questioning and then ordered him never to bring it again, even going so far as to call our parents and tell them to never let him bring it to school again. This was before Columbine and 9/11 as well.

I think school officials are just bored and just come up with this poo poo to spice things up in their terrible job

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
no talking about the furnace

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Archives posted:

I think school officials are just bored and just come up with this poo poo to spice things up in their terrible job

Like horses, but instead of their freak out resulting in stomping a bitch to death, they just abuse and harass children. It makes perfect sense.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

My elementary school had rules at the curricular level (so, rules for teachers) that we weren't allowed to do competitions. Of any kind.

This meant in practical terms that excellence, mediocrity, and abject failure were all treated the same. So, for instance, instead of having spelling bees, we just had everyone take the same 20-word spelling quiz...even the kids me who were reading like 4 grade levels ahead and for whom the entire exercise was a total waste of time.

Also, while it makes a certain amount of sense not to allow kids to vocally disparage others' performances (we were 5-12 years old) we also weren't allowed to show approval through any means other than clapping -- "we don't BOO and we don't WOOHOO" was what we were told.

Oh and when we played basketball in gym class we weren't allowed to intercept passes, block shots, or dribble the ball.

Kids know. The administration isn't hiding, or helping, poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

teen witch posted:

My best friend got an ISS for slapping a boy who grabbed her rear end. The boy got a stern talking to because he had cancer at one time and we all had to be “nice”, despite that kid, cancer or not, being a huge rear end in a top hat.

I used to get dinged for dress code nonsense because of my chest. They’d call home trying to get my mom to bring over more “appropriate” clothing, but since my mom was a working single mother, I got to the answering machine before she did, and somehow calling her at work or on her mobile was just...not thought of I guess. My mom also didn’t really give that much of a poo poo when she did find out, as it was a miracle that I was in class to begin with.

I think they stopped giving a poo poo about the dress code around senior year because kids were coming into class sky high on their parents oxycontin and perhaps, that was a bit more disruptive to the learning process.

Is the boy dead now?

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I went to a private Catholic high school for spoiled, entitled boys much like the one in the news. Instead of detention, we had JUG which stood for "Justice Under God." You had to stand in a room and stare at the wall for an hour after school. I had to do it probably 5 times over the course of my being there, including once for when I opened a bathroom door and it hit a kid walking down the hallway.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
One teacher had a ‘solid colouring’ rule, as in you weren’t allowed to simply shade with your pencils, you had to colour so thoroughly that no white was visible. This meant that by Christmas we’d all used up our favourite colours, so our classroom decorations were black, purple and brown. So festive!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Creature posted:

One teacher had a ‘solid colouring’ rule, as in you weren’t allowed to simply shade with your pencils, you had to colour so thoroughly that no white was visible. This meant that by Christmas we’d all used up our favourite colours, so our classroom decorations were black, purple and brown. So festive!

Your high school experience sounds rough

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

My school was in a rich suburb so anyone that didn't fit into the "normal kid" mode (goths were ok, gotta show diversity!) were sent off to night school. They weren't allowed, literally, to attend normal day classes. This included pregnant girls, kids with migraines, kids who just seemed crazy weird to them like autism I guess. I worked on the school newspaper so I stayed super late at school and I would see these like, normal kids but they didn't fit the mold the school wanted to show to I guess, the rich parents, so they just hid the "very weird" kids. Night School was talked about like, murderers were there. But then one of my friends got sent there and then I saw a friend from middle school I lost contact with, pregnant, and I'm like, wtf?

Rich school = policy is to pretend you don't have people with issues to look good to rich parents.

E: poo poo! I forgot. This is the WORST. If anyone was caught with even a tiny amount of weed, even off campus, they'd not only be sent to night school but also be FORCED into drug "rehab." So a friend smoked weed casually. Super nice girl. Nothing wrong with her.

Welp, at rehab, like a lot of people, she got introduced into other drugs. In her case, heroin. She died 1 year after she graduated from an overdose.

At her funeral her dad cursed the poo poo out of our school for causing it to her. And they did. I 1000000 times KNOW it's true and all our friends and families know too.

Account McAccount fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 23, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Account McAccount posted:

At her funeral her dad cursed the poo poo out of our school for causing it to her. And they did. I 1000000 times KNOW it's true and all our friends and families know too.

Ok that is hosed up. I'm livid about this and I don't even know any of you people. What the gently caress, world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At my middle school we briefly weren't allowed to have books or notebooks from other classes in a class, meaning every student had to stop at their locker between every class to drop off the last class' books and get the next one's. It only lasted for one school term so I imagine they were just testing it out to see if it'd make kids focus better but no as it turns out it's a dumbass idea that causes a ton of unnecessary clutter and shoving and has no place in the real world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I got banned from riding the school bus for a week for calling a mean and loud guy a dillweed. The bus driver thought I said dickweed and reported me, instead of the guy being mean and loud. In hindsight, I should have said that instead because dickweed is much funnier.

edit: Let me reiterate. I was banned from riding the school bus, to school. My parents had to drive me to school every day for a week even though both of them had work during the day. Essentially, the school punished my parents because the bus driver through I called someone a dickweed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I went to a nerd high school and the schedule was 8:00-4:30, but it was broken up into 20-minute sections and we got a little bit of leeway to choose classes and sections. Generally that meant you'd have a block or two free between a couple of classes, but if you got lucky/planned a semester ahead you could arrange it where a couple days a week you had nonstop classes from the morning, but would be done by like 1PM.

Unfortunately, unless you were a senior, you still had to stay the whole day. Because we were giant nerds, that just meant that the computer labs would be full of kids playing Starcraft and the halls had random groups huddled around the attachable Gamecube screen playing Smash Brothers, but holy poo poo I can't imagine the kind of mayhem you'd get giving kids 2-3 hours of free time but forcing them to stay at a regular HS.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My high school responded to the congestion in the two-lane exit out of the student parking lot by reducing it to one lane that you could only enter from the last row of parking spots. They expected this to solve the problem by having the traffic all flow in the same direction, but instead it made the entire line back up like a snake through the parking spots any time a student needed to left onto the street. Eventually they just gave up and put a no-left-turns sign there so everybody would go right instead.

edit:

It went from this

to this

I'm sure you can see the problem that for some reason they did not see.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 23, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
My high school was completely walled in and they would lock all the gates during school hours, for "safety" or some poo poo. They also removed all the lockers right before my freshman year, the official reason given was because the janitors were tired of cleaning them at the end of every year but that sounds like some dumb poo poo and I have no idea what they were thinking.

So you had all these kids walking around with giant backpacks ruining their spines, it was a mess.

Anyway later when I had a car and drove to school I'd leave books in my car and hop over the wall to get them. One day I did it and right when I landed and turned around there was the principal and campus cop. They were pissed but I told them I was just going to get my books and come right back, walked over to my car, got in it and drove away.

No idea how I didn't ever get in trouble for that one but it's one of my favorite high school stories.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Oh also I went to Carlsbad High School and used to eat lunch at the infamous Carlsbad Gap that was in Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

I read in the news a few years ago they tore the whole area up and renovated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUHlmz75IEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwQ20Sn2a0

Used to sit on that curved bit of wall every day. RIP :(

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 23, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat I never knew that was based on a real high school. How accurate was the rest of the level to the actual school?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat I never knew that was based on a real high school. How accurate was the rest of the level to the actual school?

the rest of the level was just a bunch of random stuff, nothing like the real school at all. possibly other famous skate spots from other schools, but only that little area was based on my old lunch hangout.

Tony Hawk lives a couple towns over from me, so that's probably how the gap ended up in one of his games. I met him at a skate park once as a kid and he signed my wallet, I'd see him there all the time and he always had time to hang out with kids and his fans. He's really an amazingly nice and cool guy. One of my friends knew him since before he got famous and they still hang out to this day, from what I hear he's the same guy he's always been and the fame never got to his head.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 23, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mimesweeper posted:

the rest of the level was just a bunch of random stuff, nothing like the real school at all. possibly other famous skate spots from other schools, but only that little area was based on my old lunch hangout.

Tony Hawk lives a couple towns over from me, so that's probably how the gap ended up in one of his games. I met him at a skate park once as a kid and he signed my wallet, I'd see him there all the time and he always had time to hang out with kids and his fans. He's really an amazingly nice and cool guy. One of my friends knew him since before he got famous and they still hang out to this day, from what I hear he's the same guy he's always been and the fame never got to his head.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
lol

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I got detention for cross-dressing once. Every year at my middle school the eighth graders got to participate in 50s Day. You could dress up if you wanted and classes consisted of silly stuff like playing 1950s board games or watching I Love Lucy. They had some old dudes bring classic cars to the parking lot for us to look at and I thought that was pretty neat. Anyway, I was/am an annoying little contrarian so instead of wearing a poodle skirt or what have you, I dressed up as a nerd with suspenders and a bow tie. According to my history teacher, the bow tie constituted cross dressing, which was against the rules I guess. I took it off for her class but when she saw me with it on later she wrote me up. I called my mom and told her what happened, and when I showed up to serve detention my history teacher very meekly told me I didn’t have to stay. :v:

We weren’t allowed to wear skulls on anything in middle school, and this was at the very height of emo and scene fashion. Somehow the razor blade necklace my friend had got a pass. No bandanas worn in any fashion, because GANGS.

Halloween in high school was entirely laissez faire though. A kid dressed as a pimp won the costume contest one year. I won once dressed as Alex DeLarge. A (gentile) guy I knew even wore a bear costume with a tallit and payot and called himself Winnie the Jew.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is the boy dead now?

Unfortunately no.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Sheen Sheen posted:

I swear to god the teachers in my elementary school got off on denying kids trips to the bathroom, especially my 4th grade teacher. God forbid you asked to go to the bathroom too soon after another kid went, she’s reflexively reply with “no! It’s just monkey see, monkey do! :mad: “ No you batty bitch, I just don’t want to piss my pants

I got really sick one day while in 4th grade and I begged my teacher to go to the bathroom since I really needed to throw up. He denied me so I just puked all over the floor instead

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another middle school story: The school was trying to crack down on bullying and other hurtful stuff kids would say to each other, and so implemented these things called 'I' Messages. An I-message is a real thing in interpersonal communication, basically as a way to be assertive without placing blame on the other party. "I think that could have been done better" instead of "you could have done that better", and so on. It's a real aspect of social psychology and if you find yourself accidentally making people mad sometimes then trying to assess if you use I-messages or You-messages more might lead to some revelations.

And of course my school would implement it in the dumbest-rear end way possible, by forcing kids who were caught bullying or doing hurtful things to stop and stare at each other and literally say aloud "I feel sad when you say [this and that and the other thing]". "I was hurt when you stuffed my head in [small enclosed space and/or orifice]". And then they would have the party who did the hurting say "I am sorry that I [put you in a headlock/said your family was poor/said you were a homosexual as a derogatory term]". It was exactly as forced, robotic, and nonsensical as it sounds. The teacher would pat themselves on the back for a job well done and then walk away satisfied, leaving the bully to continue stuffing the other person's body in their locker while calling their family poor and gay and holding them in a headlock.

Needless to say, it didn't solve the problem at all.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Halser posted:

I got really sick one day while in 4th grade and I begged my teacher to go to the bathroom since I really needed to throw up. He denied me so I just puked all over the floor instead

Lol this happened to me in first grade. I threw up on the far side of the gym so I went and told the gym teacher, who squinted from behind his desk and said accusingly, "I don't see it!" Then I threw up in front of his desk.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

I have a friend in 6th grade who did just piss his pants one day in a show of spite and it was pretty hilarious

i did this (in like 4th grade though).

one of my proudest achievments in life.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

Ok that is hosed up. I'm livid about this and I don't even know any of you people. What the gently caress, world.

It happened to a kid that was a vague friend (friend of my boyfriend at the time). He went to the even more rich private school nearby. Same thing: smoked weed. Went to "rehab." Got into coke and was hosed up ever since, like real bad. When I met him he was fine, just a little awkward. After the "rehab," he was totally nuts. Like, committing crimes, doing hard drugs, chilled with really old guys who were hardcore drug addicts, and no one wanted to be friends with him anymore. I have no idea what happened to him ultimately but seriously, sending a kid to rehab for weed? My ex's parents luckily... weird thing to say... smoked weed in college so they had no real problem with his weed use. He's now engaged, travels a bunch, is a teacher, totally fine. It's nice how these "rehabs" "help" kids /s

Ok let me put a funnier thing. In jr high girls couldn't wear spaghetti straps or lipstick. I didn't know about the lipstick and I was a goth so one day I came to school with dark-ish purple lipstick. In homeroom (first class of the day) the teacher took me to the bathroom and made me wipe it off. Of course the preppy kids could wear pink gloss. But also of course the last day of jr high all the girls wore spaghetti straps and lipstick. (Also I hosed with them by wearing a spaghetti strap black tank top but covered it with a see-through-ish (like lingerie type) black shirt so they couldn't say poo poo.

Account McAccount fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 23, 2019

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

We got a ton of bomb threats in middle school near the end of the year. This was in the Spring of 2002, so every threat was considered credible and definitely not just from a dumb kid who wanted out of finals. No, it was definitely Al Qaeda targeting our small school.

The bomb threats started as notes, but after we got a security guard at the school they were written on the boy's bathroom stall. Again, must have been a deep cover Al Qaeda operative.

So how do you handle something like this? Easy - you remove the doors from the bathroom stalls so nobody can write on them, and then you let the underpaid janitor pull double duty and sit in the bathroom all loving day to make sure no kids write on the walls.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Account McAccount posted:

It happened to a kid that was a vague friend (friend of my boyfriend at the time). He went to the even more rich private school nearby. Same thing: smoked weed. Went to "rehab." Got into coke and was hosed up ever since, like real bad. When I met him he was fine, just a little awkward. After the "rehab," he was totally nuts. Like, committing crimes, doing hard drugs, chilled with really old guys who were hardcore drug addicts, and no one wanted to be friends with him anymore. I have no idea what happened to him ultimately but seriously, sending a kid to rehab for weed? My ex's parents luckily... weird thing to say... smoked weed in college so they had no real problem with his weed use. He's now engaged, travels a bunch, is a teacher, totally fine. It's nice how these "rehabs" "help" kids /s

Yeah, it's a really sick and broken system. Lets send kids into rehab for smoking some weed, lets put people in jail about it, lets ruin people's lives to save them. Sponsored by Budweiser, head down to your local gas station and pick up an 18 pack today.

I remember one time I was at my friends house and we were smoking weed in his backyard and his mom came home and just walked up on us and I FREAKED. She just laughed, grabbed the bong from me and took a huge rip and then cooked us all dinner. That friend grew up to be pretty successful and well adjusted, meanwhile I'm a mess because I got caught with the devil's lettuce and that meant THERAPY and REHAB and WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

I hope someday people get over this idiocy.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2019

Paperboy
Nov 20, 2018

:shepface:
Went to a private school that used to be a military academy.
Combine the two and you get really dumb rules.

1. You must wear a uniform, and you can only buy the uniform at the school's store.
1a. Crew cut socks only, sock color must correspond to your pants(???) If you wear the uniform pants (long khaki), you must wear white socks. If you wear uniform shorts (short khaki), you must wear black socks. No, I have no idea why.
1b. Men must wear a brown belt--no black belts allowed. Same goes for shoes, brown loafers only.
1c. Men must have short hair, as men having long hair is "distracting." Women may have any hair length they choose.
1d. No "distracting" hair dye, nail polish, or makeup. This one is somewhat standard among southern schools though.
2. Any breakage of rules results in "hours." Note this is plural, and even shorter than detention because it happens all the time. I usually saw 3 hours minimum.
2a. Hours consisted of sitting at a table, being watched by a grumpy faculty member. In middle school, students had to copy long passages by hand until the hours were up.
2b. Students may not do homework during detention. This way, "deviant" students get stuck in detention and fall further behind in school, until they either drop out or are expelled.
2c. Depending on how much of a dick your teachers and faculty are, you can pretty much get an hour for everything. I personally received an hour for changing too slowly in gym (slower than 3 minutes). My friend received an hour for being literally one minute late for class (his teacher really was a dick).
2d. You may appeal hours, but the process rarely succeeded, at least in the very few cases I observed. Students are not instructed on how to appeal hours or on how to question authority in any way.
3. Students below junior year may not take AP classes--no exceptions. Yeah, gently caress me, right? The idea is to secure a 100% graduation rate, combining rules like this with expelling anyone who lags behind.

Anyways this is getting way too long. There was more about expelling pregnant students and the massive drug problem we experienced, but the idea is the school was loving stupid and excessively punitive, petty, and controlling. :salt:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Harveygod posted:

Lol this happened to me in first grade. I threw up on the far side of the gym so I went and told the gym teacher, who squinted from behind his desk and said accusingly, "I don't see it!" Then I threw up in front of his desk.

Second grade teacher wouldn't call on me (I had my hand raised about going to the nurse) so I got up and barfed at her feet :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

Yeah, it's a really sick and broken system. Lets send kids into rehab for smoking some weed, lets put people in jail about it, lets ruin people's lives to save them. Sponsored by Budweiser, head down to your local gas station and pick up an 18 pack today.

I remember one time I was at my friends house and we were smoking weed in his backyard and his mom came home and just walked up on us and I FREAKED. She just laughed, grabbed the bong from me and took a huge rip and then cooked us all dinner. That friend grew up to be pretty successful and well adjusted, meanwhile I'm a mess because I got caught with the devil's lettuce and that meant THERAPY and REHAB and WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

I hope someday people get over this idiocy.

Agreed, the War On Drugs is such bullshit. Have a bit of weed? CRIMINAL!!! REHAB!!! EXPELLED/NIGHTSCHOOL!!! Kid comes to school drunk? 2 week suspension.