Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
This arrived over the weekend and I am pretty stoked to add it to my collection of MF DOOM vinyl, have nearly all of his albums now. They did a really nice job on the gatefold and the record looks and sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Are those Rokit 6s you got there? I've got the 5s and looking at yours makes me feel inadequate.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are those Rokit 6s you got there? I've got the 5s and looking at yours makes me feel inadequate.
How do the 5s sound? Are you happy with them? Don’t let something better existing affect your happiness

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For anyone into this kinda thing:

https://twitter.com/STSPhonoCo/status/1087471086718078983

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Yep, they are Rokit 6’s. I do a bunch of music production and that was my excuse for spending the extra money.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

pwn posted:

Don’t let something better existing affect your happiness

This is real fuckin advice

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

This is good

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the two announced releases for Mondo this week are a wet dream for people who like Synth stuff like myself

https://burningallwitches.bandcamp.com/album/black-lake-original-soundtrack

https://mondotees.bandcamp.com/album/open-sea

pwn
May 27, 2004

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

It’s just a boring brown/tweed-like little box.

I'm mailing it to pwn. You can thank Marie Kondo for this act of philanthropy.
It sparks joy.

(and oh hey, thanks to whoever gave the heads-up for the There Will Be Blood OST, seen in the background!)

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 23, 2019

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

pwn posted:

It sparks joy.

(and oh hey, thanks to whoever gave the heads-up for the There Will Be Blood OST, seen in the background!)

I saw this picture and my first thought was "When did Conan O'Brien release a single?" Sure looks like him.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

pwn posted:

It sparks joy.

Glad it arrived safely! ... and who is that poking out?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

That is indeed Conan O’Brien’s “And they called me mad” single from third man. One side is a funny monologue Conan reads where he plays Dr Frankenstein or some similar character, and the other is an interview between him and jack white.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
There is also a live album he recorded on the Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On Televison tour also recorded and released by Third Man. Both are very much worth owning if you like Conan.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 24, 2019

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

MrSargent posted:

Was curious if anyone else has an instagram where they post their vinyl hauls or special grabs? Let me know your handle and I'll follow you, mine is @hundredacrerecords. I post a lot of hip-hop, but definitely mix it up with soundtracks, funk, soul, and jazz as well.

This is like from a week ago but I added you as @somerecordsihave anyone can feel free to add me if they like looking at pics of records

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Few more records I ordered showed up. My lady and I enjoy a record or 2 each night with a nice drink.

Side note: didn't realize I liked Neil Diamond but he's legit

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 24, 2019

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

After an intense ( :catdrugs:) first listening for my best friend, he insisted that he didn't just want a copy of Dopesmoker, he wanted my copy of Dopesmoker. So I bought a new and and I'm gifting him mine for his birthday.

The gifted copy, for reference:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 24, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1088281188886892544?s=21

Thanks for the rec, guys. Loving this turntable. I’d post video but the speakers are on the other side of the room so any video would sound like rear end.

Also holy poo poo this thing is a brick. Weighs about three times as much as my old Numark.

pwn
May 27, 2004

rockinricky posted:

I saw this picture and my first thought was "When did Conan O'Brien release a single?" Sure looks like him.

Glad it arrived safely! ... and who is that poking out?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

That is indeed Conan O’Brien’s “And they called me mad” single from third man. One side is a funny monologue Conan reads where he plays Dr Frankenstein or some similar character, and the other is an interview between him and jack white.
And according to the runout etching on side A, it was all just a mic test :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8zdXt3vm6o

Side B’s runout has a nice reference to Conan’s then-fresh Tonight Show fiasco.

The long-running phrase was used on The Tonight Show, as far back as Jack Paar, up through Conan’s tenure.

Kevin Frank’s been doing Conan’s bumpers for 25 years. You can see many more of his Tonight Show bumpers here. You can also see hundreds of his Late Night bumpers here and here. And even a smattering of his TBS work here

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

put both hands in posted:

This is like from a week ago but I added you as @somerecordsihave anyone can feel free to add me if they like looking at pics of records

Added you back, I do enjoy pics of records.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Score of the day, found this version of Ween's Pure Guava in my local JB Hifi for way less than it's gone for on that page

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Score of the day, found this version of Ween's Pure Guava in my local JB Hifi for way less than it's gone for on that page
Hell yeah, dogg.

Though that album has one big flaw - the studio version of Springtheme just doesn't convey how much of a jam it is live.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have the Stephen Colbert 7" he did with the Black Belles. It's a fun record but not really worth seeking out.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stan Taylor posted:

Also interested if things don't work out with the goon who posted before me.

PM'd

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Anyone in here consider themselves a big fan of Touche Amore? I've got the 2012-2013 7" box set to sell but only if you're going to actually listen to the records

Still available

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 24, 2019

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

I've also got one @poprocksvinyl

Adding y'all.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Well if we are sharing, I do an internet radio show where I only play vinyl. I have compiled some past episodes over on mixcloud. It is VERY amateur hour poo poo but the music is good.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So kids managed to break my stylus on my AT-LP120 so that's exciting right before 3 more records show up this weekend.
From what I could gather the ATN95E is the replacement stylus to get? Is that accurate?

Actually got me wondering...what are some must have things that new people don't tend to know about to care for everything? Any particular cleaners, record protectors or things like that that one should look for? Any suggestions? Amazon Friendly is a plus

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is a great example of the price speculation bullshit I keep saying ruined record collecting. Discogs shows a the same trend:
https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=andrea+true+war+machine&x=0&y=0

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So kids managed to break my stylus on my AT-LP120 so that's exciting right before 3 more records show up this weekend.
From what I could gather the ATN95E is the replacement stylus to get? Is that accurate?

Actually got me wondering...what are some must have things that new people don't tend to know about to care for everything? Any particular cleaners, record protectors or things like that that one should look for? Any suggestions? Amazon Friendly is a plus

The AT-LP120 I got earlier this week came with an AT95E so that's a safe bet. My old favorite, the Shure M97XE, is no longer produced so any for sale are gonna be gouged to hell and back.

Edit: that's if you want to replace the full cartridge. ATN95E is indeed the correct stylus if you're not changing out the cartridge itself.

As for other things to get, this scale is a must-buy. For protractors, googling should bring up some free ones you can print out. Just double check and make sure the size is correct when printed out, they should include a ruler you can measure.

In other news, InSound is having a ridiculous sale right now, 60% off all records.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 26, 2019

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Beat me to it. I bought all 4 of those Music City comps cause I'm a sucker for old funk and soul.

They do the 60% thing a few times a year.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just picked up this and, what a weird loving album. Found it at Bookmans for $10, it's three 12" LPs that are run at...45? And apparently there were only a thousand, each one is hand-etched, not pressed according to discogs and this article.

Just...weird. It also came with this card attached, inside

Which is great, because the website, the QR code site, and the paper USB thumbdrive thing (that I plugged into a burner netbook, it simply autoruns and opens up a Run command and types the website out really fast) website are all broken as gently caress :v: This is the URL it was trying to access.

Through side 1 right now, and it's pretty dope and/or fresh. I could get into this, too bad the artists have evaporated into aether faster than The Modernaire did. It's like folk/rap/rock...stuff? Kinda like The Moulettes but less smooth, and from Georgia. Probably worth closer to the $7 on discogs than the $10 I paid for it, tbh but :shrug: too late now.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
:wom:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Queen Combat posted:

Just picked up this and, what a weird loving album. Found it at Bookmans for $10, it's three 12" LPs that are run at...45? And apparently there were only a thousand, each one is hand-etched, not pressed according to discogs and this article.

Just...weird. It also came with this card attached, inside

Which is great, because the website, the QR code site, and the paper USB thumbdrive thing (that I plugged into a burner netbook, it simply autoruns and opens up a Run command and types the website out really fast) website are all broken as gently caress :v: This is the URL it was trying to access.

Through side 1 right now, and it's pretty dope and/or fresh. I could get into this, too bad the artists have evaporated into aether faster than The Modernaire did. It's like folk/rap/rock...stuff? Kinda like The Moulettes but less smooth, and from Georgia. Probably worth closer to the $7 on discogs than the $10 I paid for it, tbh but :shrug: too late now.

Love finding weird random stuff like that. Most of the time I find that I might have overpayed a little but gently caress it.

Checked out a new record store down the street from work. Tomorrow Records if you are in SE Portland. It was ok. Was kinda put off by the prices at first (though they did line up with discogs) But they had some spendy (good) poo poo out in the bins.

Here is my dollar bin haul

Wife's haul. She has better taste than me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Queen Combat posted:

Probably worth closer to the $7 on discogs than the $10 I paid for it, tbh but :shrug: too late now.

I think the same thing about all the $1 vinyl I bought that people have up for ~$.70 but honestly if you factor in shipping it's still cheaper to buy 100 of them at a $1. Besides you get to see it firsthand and not assume A+++ perfect condition ratings are correct. Because, newsflash: they're not.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

A+ birthday gift. Side A is Wesley Willis singing his song about The Frogs and the B-Side is The Frogs playing a song about Wesley Willis. Oddly enough out of the 1300 Frogs songs in circulation (that's not even including the 30 or so bootlegs I've been able to track down), you can't find this one online. Wish I had one of those USB turntables.

The :nws: :nws: back cover.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

caligulamprey posted:

Wish I had one of those USB turntables.

if you have a PC with a line in port you can go straight from the phono out to your PC and record it in audacity (i think anyway, unless it's my graphic EQ that lets me do this)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

strap on revenge posted:

if you have a PC with a line in port you can go straight from the phono out to your PC and record it in audacity (i think anyway, unless it's my graphic EQ that lets me do this)

Yep that’s how I do it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

A+ birthday gift. Side A is Wesley Willis singing his song about The Frogs and the B-Side is The Frogs playing a song about Wesley Willis. Oddly enough out of the 1300 Frogs songs in circulation (that's not even including the 30 or so bootlegs I've been able to track down), you can't find this one online. Wish I had one of those USB turntables.

The :nws: :nws: back cover.

That's awesome. I had the pleasure of getting a headbutt from him at a show.

pwn
May 27, 2004

My friend just lucked into a cache of like, 400 records?? Some old dude she knows just doesn’t have a player anymore, and didn’t wanna sell them

A lot of dad rock, lot of Zappa, the jackets are pretty beat-up but the discs seem pretty nice. Good haul for free

Edit: Some of the titles, sorry for the spilled beer, it’s been a fun night

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 28, 2019

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Too bad about the jacket conditions. Some decent stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ballz posted:

Yep that’s how I do it.

Not to be pedantic but it’s needs to be a line level signal if you’re going to a line-in port. If your record player only outputs phono then you need to have the preamp plugged in as well.

I guess you could plug a phono signal into a line port but it will probably sound terrible.