Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

also this will be my last post about my girlfriend.
Did she find out you're greanpos and very correctly :sever:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
air fryers are garbage.

source - my wife wanted an air fryer and we got one and it's just a loving convection oven raaaaaa

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
air fryers are just ovens

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Do you really deep fry that many things?

yes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

you should try paying 1000 dollars for a dyson air fryer, it will redefine how you think about frying

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the wife asked me if she should learn to program, before realising that she likes people and solving actual (rather than invented) problems

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

correct

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
air fryers are a sandwich

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We use our air fryer all the time. It's awesome.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ctps: girlfriend wants to learn to program and i really hope it sticks because i think we'd be a good programming team

that quote about wherever your relationship is going it will get there faster on a tandem bicycle except programming

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

a long time ago i was telling her about how every programmer at some opint has had to remove the word 'butt' from their code. i tried to explain it but she just didn't understand why.

she is learning about the command line and the first thing she typed was 'echo buttface' so i think she gets it now

also this will be my last post about my girlfriend.

we work with a closed-captioning format called EBU-TT and its identifying enum value is ctEBUTT

getting to leave some of the butts in the code pleases me greatly

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ctps: girlfriend wants to learn to program and i really hope it sticks because i think we'd be a good programming team

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont really care if its ugly as long as it works...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ugh this new offshore dev is making GBS threads out mvc code that manually builds urls to pass parameters then uses piles of if statements to decompose them including the always ridiculous

code:

if( id == "true") 

just pass your loving params as a form and bind the objects ffffuccckkk

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it is loving shameful that me, someone who was never even hired as a programmer and bases all the knowledge off yospos, is in a position to effectively teach our supposed "proper" developers how to do their jobs

the curse of offshoring strikes again :suicide:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it is loving shameful that me, someone who was never even hired as a programmer and bases all the knowledge off yospos, is in a position to effectively teach our supposed "proper" developers how to do their jobs

the curse of offshoring strikes again :suicide:

Don't have to offshore for that kind of quality, I was code reviewing a task to duplicate functionality from some a public API into a private one. His first pass was to simply copy and paste one class into the other one, I told him that was a bad idea, the code in both classes is the same it just matters where it's called from. So he replaced it by an effectively empty class instantiating an instance of the other one and calling the methods in it. What the christ?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
tired: conform to a schema
wired: just ignore it
galaxy brain: edit it a bunch, send data conforming to that, and then not tell anybody until i have to go debug loving parse errors

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: i love unannounced major infrastructure changes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

If you choose the right framework and stick to backend development, dependency injection shouldn't be something you have to deal with.

lol

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

If you choose the right framework and stick to backend development, dependency injection shouldn't be something you have to deal with.

???

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

context is important

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

context is important

I mean obviously when talking about dependency injection.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Check urself b4 U inject urself

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

:newlol:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Aramoro posted:

Don't have to offshore for that kind of quality, I was code reviewing a task to duplicate functionality from some a public API into a private one. His first pass was to simply copy and paste one class into the other one, I told him that was a bad idea, the code in both classes is the same it just matters where it's called from. So he replaced it by an effectively empty class instantiating an instance of the other one and calling the methods in it. What the christ?

That just sounds like good DRY OOP, op

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

That just sounds like good DRY OOP, op

He didn't extend the original class, he added all the methods signatures from the original class, then in each one instantiated the original class and called the method. So yes, better than just copy and pasting the methods into the new class, but still wrong.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

man im bad at runloops, i keep accidentally creating recursion hell

fixed now though

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Aramoro posted:

He didn't extend the original class, he added all the methods signatures from the original class, then in each one instantiated the original class and called the method. So yes, better than just copy and pasting the methods into the new class, but still wrong.

Why would you extend a Public API for a private one? Ostensibly, you want to be able to modify/extend the private one without affecting the public one and vice versa.

Inheritance is actually really bad, and this is a good case for why.

Public API should be sancrosanct, and being able to change and update the private API for something like an admin portal seems like a clear reason that you'd want a private API in the first place.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 25, 2019

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

redleader posted:

the wife asked me if she should learn to program, before realising that she likes people and solving actual (rather than invented) problems

Same. Oldest daughter is learning to make pictures with Processing.js, tho.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Why would you extend a Public API for a private one? Ostensibly, you want to be able to modify/extend the private one without affecting the public one and vice versa.

Inheritance is actually really bad, and this is a good case for why.

Public API should be sancrosanct, and being able to change and update the private API for something like an admin portal seems like a clear reason that you'd want a private API in the first place.

I'm using public vs private in very loose terms there. It's to do with the authentication mechanism used to access the resource. So that calls made from within the container do not use the same authentication as calls made from outside.

Inheritance is actually really good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

count_von_count posted:

Same. Oldest daughter is learning to make pictures with Processing.js, tho.

my nephews are doing something with that jigzaw piece programming language

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

my nephews are doing something with that jigzaw piece programming language

Scratch? It's pretty cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Osmosisch posted:

Scratch? It's pretty cool.

yeah

theyre 7 & 9, probably a good age for that. i started with basic on our c64 when i was around 7

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It has an insane pedigree straight from smalltalk

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Inheritance is actually really good.

Actually it's really bad. Composition is (almost) always a superior approach.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Actually it's really bad. Composition is (almost) always a superior approach.

Composition is superior depending on the design pattern being used, and it being superior in no way makes inheritance bad. They are in fact both good depending what it is you're trying to do. They're also both bad if you implement them badly.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Aramoro posted:

Composition is superior depending on the design pattern being used, and it being superior in no way makes inheritance bad. They are in fact both good depending what it is you're trying to do. They're also both bad if you implement them badly.

this is true but a lot of the inheritance i see in the wild is bad inheritance and it's good to point it out to people so they stop doing it for bad reasons.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've always been confused by inheritance and I guess it's partly because sometimes it's being done to gently caress with subtyping and get the compiler to let you do what you want with some amount of genericity, other times it's to prevent copy/pasting by just overriding or adding some methods, and other times it's a bit of both and you'll not know unless you have the full context of when it was written. Then you mix that poo poo in with dependency injection (because your side effects are all encapsulated but still directly causing issues through dependency chains for tests) and interfaces because that's another way to check the typing of things and you get the fun OO mess that I could never get comfortable with.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

covariance and contravariance can just gently caress right off

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
like it's good when your framework exposes a controller class and you can inherit the controller class and use and it automatically knows how to do the things a controller should do.

it just quickly gets out of hand from there. i've found sticking to a single level of inheritance (almost always from an interface) in my own code has worked just fine for me. but if you're implementing an interface i'm not sure that really counts as inheritance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

like it's good when your framework exposes a controller class and you can inherit the controller class and use and it automatically knows how to do the things a controller should do.

it just quickly gets out of hand from there. i've found sticking to a single level of inheritance (almost always from an interface) in my own code has worked just fine for me. but if you're implementing an interface i'm not sure that really counts as inheritance.

the controller class is a good example. ime inheritance works better if it's shallow, even if it's wide; e.g., a handful of classes that directly extend a single superclass. if your inheritance tree is ten levels deep, it's probably fragile

interface implementation seems closer to composition than inheritance