Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dogmeat posted:

At least at my university it was generally brought up in most edu courses that there might come times you gotta lay hands on someone and they showed us a few elbow holds and stuff that will probably not get you sued into oblivion. But it was very much stressed that it's a judgement call you can only make in the situation and to be pretty drat sure of your district's insurance policies or coverage.

yeah for reals i don't know why but you gotta say the apple sauce part every time too it's super weird. also pipe cleaners are now "chanille stems" because smoking

I got just "crisp cross" all the time:shrug:

Of course I was also in the transitional period where the two were interchangeable so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bored posted:

So it was defense against the dark arts, but in real life?

Yes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My school had/has a black/white everything. Prom queen/king, student body president, etc, etc.

I didn't think about it at the time but that must be kinda frustrating for the hispanic/asian kids.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Savage For The Winjun posted:

learned the other month the kids dont call it sitting "indian style" anymore

it's called criss cross apple sauce now?

I used to get the words Indian and idiot mixed up and in first grade I got in trouble for saying a girl was sitting idiot style and that made her cry.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ralph Hurley posted:

I used to get the words Indian and idiot mixed up and in first grade I got in trouble for saying a girl was sitting idiot style and that made her cry.

That 6-year old girl is a total cry-baby wiener.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Criss-cross apple sauce is great with my 2 year old because it's a call and response. I say, "Criss-cross!" and then he corrects his sitting position and shouts back, "Apple sauce!" and it's a fun little game we play before I go back to reading the forums on my phone and he goes back to his mother for attention.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Savage For The Winjun posted:

learned the other month the kids dont call it sitting "indian style" anymore

it's called criss cross apple sauce now?

they should call it "socks to cocks"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

That 6-year old girl is a total cry-baby wiener.

Nah. You just follow it up with "Do you believe what he said?" "no" "then ignore it"

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

spacetoaster posted:

The school system I work in has a rule that you can only restrain a kid with one arm.

So if two 17 year olds are killing each other, I'm only allowed to use one arm to pull them off of each other.

double chokeslam

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mimesweeper posted:

That happened to be once in elementary school in the 90s, I was drinking from the water fountain and all of a sudden a couple dudes grabbed me from behind and a couple more started beating the poo poo out of me. I never saw any of them and to this day I have no idea why it even happened.

After my first "bully" incident in grade school, my pop took us to the Morris Park Boxing Club in the Bronx to learn how to fight. We were the only kids there. Place is a very serious boxing club & at first they said no way, no kids, but they relented after telling them my bully episode & our promise to train hard. Let me tell you, boxers are awesome dudes. It felt like I had 10 different trainers & they got us up to speed in weeks. They taught us a LOT about fighting dirty as gently caress.

It took about 3 more bully fights & 1 massive brawl when they attempted to jump my little brother to retaliate against me after a fight. Got a 2 week suspension for that but my pop kept me training extra while suspended. When I went back to school my confidence was soaring & I got a lot of leery looks from people. Best part was that the nonsense had completely stopped.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

After my first "bully" incident in grade school, my pop took us to the Morris Park Boxing Club in the Bronx to learn how to fight. We were the only kids there. Place is a very serious boxing club & at first they said no way, no kids, but they relented after telling them my bully episode & our promise to train hard. Let me tell you, boxers are awesome dudes. It felt like I had 10 different trainers & they got us up to speed in weeks. They taught us a LOT about fighting dirty as gently caress.

It took about 3 more bully fights & 1 massive brawl when they attempted to jump my little brother to retaliate against me after a fight. Got a 2 week suspension for that but my pop kept me training extra while suspended. When I went back to school my confidence was soaring & I got a lot of leery looks from people. Best part was that the nonsense had completely stopped.

Man, I'm jealous. I wish something like that would have happened to me. When I asked my parents why people would do that they told me "they're jealous because you're better than them, you're smarter than them."

That attitude sure worked great for the rest of my school career.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

My school had/has a black/white everything. Prom queen/king, student body president, etc, etc.

I didn't think about it at the time but that must be kinda frustrating for the hispanic/asian kids.

I need this unpacked more, please. There was a black student body president and a white SBP? What if they disagreed?
Where was this?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If kids were going shooting over the weekend, they were allowed to bring their rifles and shotguns to school, but had to tell a teacher who would put them behind their desk. The kids would just keep the ammo in their bags.

:captainpop:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

This was true of duck-hunters at my high-school but they had to lock theirs in their trucks.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Shows like Freaks & Geeks taught me that even the late 80's/early 90's were a massively different school environment than the late 90's/early 00's

F&Gs is set in 1980.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
This one time in 10th grade we got just a free hour to paint anything on a big piece of construction paper. Instead of trying to paint an actual image because I’m completely inept, I just kinda played around with mixing colors. I’d make a color I thought looked pretty cool then add more that I thought would look cool. I wound up with basically a large blob that was mainly a shade of dark purple that I can’t describe well besides that I thought it was a neat looking color and so did other students that looked over saying “hey that color looks cool”

I found out years later that that painting became the main subject of some kind of meeting that resulted in me ending up at a school where all windows are barred, all doors are locked, everyone gets checked for weapons going in and stolen items going out, and kids getting tackled by grown ups were a daily occurrence.

Because you see, this darkness is obviously how I feel inside.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

So many goons seem to be put in weird remedial schools for scary weirdos through misunderstandings. Just so many misunderstandings, nothing else going on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I mean, I nearly landed in one because i was a young, stupid, new boy scout who was excited about knives. Who then accidentally brought one to school, didn't realize that people would view it as a weapon, and uses it to help clean off an old science fair board so I could reuse it. Apparently I was a deranged individual the school threatened to to send to the alternative school because my swiss army knife's saw blade was longer than 5 inches.

My teacher had turned the knife over to the office thinking they would just keep it until the end of the day like a phone.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I know I already posted this earlier but since it's related to the current absurd overreaction thing I got arrested, suspended for a week and my computer confiscated and searched for doing absolutely. nothing. purely on the word of someone who apparently hated me or something.

at least that poor fucker down at forensics who ran cofee on my hard drive saw a lot of dicks and butts that day.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 25, 2019

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Caesar Saladin posted:

So many goons seem to be put in weird remedial schools for scary weirdos through misunderstandings. Just so many misunderstandings, nothing else going on.

Well to be “fair” I was an F student in the early days of No Child Left Behind and the painting might have simply been an excuse to dump a moron on someone else.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mimesweeper posted:

I know I already posted this earlier but since it's related to the current absurd overreaction thing I got arrested, suspended for a week and my computer confiscated and searched for doing absolutely. nothing. purely on the word of someone who apparently hated me or something.

at least that poor fucker down at forensics who ran cofee on my hard drive saw a lot of dicks and butts that day.

If somebody ever did that to my computer I think I’d go insane with rage. Like blackout for 2 days and carve a path of absolute death and destruction insane. I don’t even think I have anything incriminating on there, I just hate people taking and/or going through my stuff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gutcruncher posted:

This one time in 10th grade we got just a free hour to paint anything on a big piece of construction paper. Instead of trying to paint an actual image because I’m completely inept, I just kinda played around with mixing colors. I’d make a color I thought looked pretty cool then add more that I thought would look cool. I wound up with basically a large blob that was mainly a shade of dark purple that I can’t describe well besides that I thought it was a neat looking color and so did other students that looked over saying “hey that color looks cool”

I found out years later that that painting became the main subject of some kind of meeting that resulted in me ending up at a school where all windows are barred, all doors are locked, everyone gets checked for weapons going in and stolen items going out, and kids getting tackled by grown ups were a daily occurrence.

Because you see, this darkness is obviously how I feel inside.

-had the word homo for a mouth

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Well to be “fair” I was an F student in the early days of No Child Left Behind and the painting might have simply been an excuse to dump a moron on someone else.

the painting probably made them legitimately think you couldn't follow directions or had a learning disability, if you're in high school and your response to "paint a picture" is to make a random smudge of colour that is a bad sign imo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

the painting probably made them legitimately think you couldn't follow directions or had a learning disability, if you're in high school and your response to "paint a picture" is to make a random smudge of colour that is a bad sign imo

It's usually a sign that you're a poo poo that's too cool for this mess.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

It's usually a sign that you're a poo poo that's too cool for this mess.

yeah that's what they do with kids that are just way too cool

put them gently caress-up school

totally

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The part of the story they're leaving out is how the paint tasted

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

yeah that's what they do with kids that are just way too cool

put them gently caress-up school

totally

nah, usually they just get an F and detention

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

If somebody ever did that to my computer I think I’d go insane with rage. Like blackout for 2 days and carve a path of absolute death and destruction insane. I don’t even think I have anything incriminating on there, I just hate people taking and/or going through my stuff.

Why dont you have a seat over here...

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The overcrowded dump of a high school in my hometown pulled some serious bullshit after a couple seniors went down to Mexico for spring break. They were both 18 so they had their first legal beers with their parents at a bar and posted pictures to MySpace.

When the administration found out they said their zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy extended anywhere on the planet regardless of legality and immediately tried to expel them just weeks shy of graduation. These weren’t even party crowd kids, they were both straight A band nerds. The school only backed down after their parents hired lawyers and threatened to sue and settled on suspensions instead.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol that's still loving wild they had to eat a suspension over it, America is so insanely controlling.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Should have kept suing and threatening until the school issued a public apology.

I thought about wearing my uniform after graduation and taking a photos at pubs and stuff but I'm a weenie and it was before social media days so there'd be no point anyway.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nobody does poo poo the last few weeks of senior year anyway so a week of early vacation was probably actually really chill

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I recall one time I got a talking to by the school police officer because some lady thought I backed out of my parking space “too fast” and wrote down my license plate. Really prepared me for the insanity that is adult life.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Once a kid got caught with a loaded gun and xans in his backpack and his excuse was that he saw them laying on the ground while he walked to school and thought the best thing to do was just stick them in his rucksack and carry on.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

poverty goat posted:

Nobody does poo poo the last few weeks of senior year anyway so a week of early vacation was probably actually really chill

My hs allowed seniors to go off campus during free periods so for the second half of the year I rigged my schedule so my classes ended at 1pm and I just went home lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

haljordan posted:

My hs allowed seniors to go off campus during free periods so for the second half of the year I rigged my schedule so my classes ended at 1pm and I just went home lol

same but work

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I wonder what modern kids would think if they watched the breakfast club and saw how a kid who brought a gun to school and intended to use it only got off with detention.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Original_Z posted:

I wonder what modern kids would think if they watched the breakfast club and saw how a kid who brought a gun to school and intended to use it only got off with detention.

Same for Heathers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kids all mythologizing the early 80s as a period of lawless violence, like we used to do with the old west

Good ol' Chas Murphy, fastest gun south of the lunchroom, dispensing frontier justice at the point of his dad's .22 Buckmark, dodging the corrupt hall monitors

Actually didn't Awesome Hair Guy or the missing kid's Stalkery Brother get their hands on a gun at some point in Stranger Things? I was just fuckin joking but we're already there

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I thought it was a baseball bat with spikes? Which is pretty baller too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Phy posted:

Actually didn't Awesome Hair Guy or the missing kid's Stalkery Brother get their hands on a gun at some point in Stranger Things? I was just fuckin joking but we're already there

Jonathan takes his dad's revolver when he and Nancy decide they're gonna hunt down the monster, yeah.