Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit nm

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

...America already has its own Godzilla. He's called King Kong. He even predates the Big G!

Tell J.J. that. :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I miss the clover field monster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

K. Waste posted:

Most definitely. Kaiju eiga is obviously a culturally-specific term, but if you, say, compare a film like Mothra to Gorgo, or Gojira to The Giant Behemoth, there really isn't a remarkable semantic or syntactic gulf that would lead us to define them as stemming from different genre. The Rampage video game itself, while non-exclusively taking cue from various monster movies, is overtly influenced by kaiju eiga. Similarly, Rampage leans heavy on Mighty Joe Young, but also Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. Gigan.

Movies can also be retroactively compiled into a genre. Many of the early trick films of George Meilies, for instance, pre-date modern film horror, but many academics and horror fans would likely argue that they should be considered the 'first' horror movies. Similarly, we can consider The Lost World and King Kong to be prototypical kaiju movies. Kaiju eiga itself emerged as an attempt to capitalize upon the relative popularity of American films, with the most obvious example being how Gojira was in part developed as a rip-off of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.

Genres are usually a retroactive thing that stems from a zillion imitations of something popular. Video game genres kinda demonstrate that pretty clearly.

Also just realising that the start of Rampage has a lot in common with the start of Venom.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Reminded me of Life a little bit too, which is an underrated gem imo. The ending is fantastic.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Rampage is cool because the wolf monster flies like Varan

for like 3 seconds before being absolutely owned by the crocodile

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

It's a shame they decided to make "Cloverfield" a brand name for cheap sci fi movies because I wanted to see more of the monster.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The major problems with X Megaguirus are A) the whole "soldier obsessed with killing Godzilla because Godzilla killed her CO" plot never quite connects, her character feels underdeveloped, and B) the romantic subplot is legit awkward and gets kinda creepy with the whole "makes an anime child version of her for his computer" bit. The human stuff is just not well handled and actually gets in the way of the monster action.

The guy who wrote/directed Megaguirus is such a hack, it feels like just one or two more passes at the script with a decent writer could've made the human plot much more engaging. It boggles the mind that he was tapped to do two more films in the Millenium series, especially after Megaguirus tanked at the box office.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Peanut President posted:

It's a shame they decided to make "Cloverfield" a brand name for cheap sci fi movies because I wanted to see more of the monster.

You know, this made me look up all the movies again and that’s when I noticed: the director for 10 Cloverfield Lane was Dan Trachtenburg?

That guy from that not good podcast “The Totally Rad Show”.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peacoffee posted:

You know, this made me look up all the movies again and that’s when I noticed: the director for 10 Cloverfield Lane was Dan Trachtenburg?

That guy from that not good podcast “The Totally Rad Show”.

He also directed an amazing episode of Black Mirror.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Timby posted:

He also directed an amazing episode of Black Mirror.

Frankly looking at his work since the 2000’s he’s definitely not flopped upwards. Not surprised I haven’t seen the other two hosts much.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TRS ruled actually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1088207636929990657

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kong's got a lot of growing to do in 30-ish years

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

Hell no. Be way better if they keep the size difference and Kong has to outsmart Godzilla with his monkey brains.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

~47 years. Skull Island takes place in 1973

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

Kong seemed way bigger than that in Skull Island.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kong will pilot a jaeger.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

UmOk posted:

Hell no. Be way better if they keep the size difference and Kong has to outsmart Godzilla with his monkey brains.

This is the only way they'll sell me on a Kong victory, and even then I'm dubious. You don't fight a nuclear bomb with brute force and win.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kong will pilot MechaGodzilla.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not gonna lie, the size difference seems like it could lead to some legit incredible action sequences. Like, imagine how amazing a kaiju fight would be, where one of them is significantly smaller than the other and is having to scale the fucker like something out of Shadow of the Colossus.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

I know what you mean, but when I saw the Gundam at Odaiba in Japan (16 meters tall) I was loving FLOORED at just how loving BIG it was, and that’s just about half of SI Kong’s height. We are used to seeing 5 story tall buildings, but when you see something bipedal that are those heights, it’s mind boggling. I’m just shy of 6 feet tall and I came up to the Gundam’s ankle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They've explicitly said Kong in Skull Island isn't an adult yet and he still has plenty of growing to do, so he'll certainly be bigger to face the real king.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ric-Boy King Caesar...

https://awesomecollector.com/collections/x-plus-japanese-import/products/king-caesar-1974-large-monster-series-ric-boy-exclusive

I am so tempted to get that.

Also Rainbow Ghidorah. :wow:

https://awesomecollector.com/collec...c-boy-exclusive

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was just going to post that Gidorah haha. It’s amazing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am pretty much done with 1:6 Star Wars and was happy, no more figures to really buy!

Then the world of X-Plus opens itself to me and I am dreading what it's going to do to my wallet.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The fact that they will make sofubi that match the suits perfectly is amazing, but when they do special ones where it is colored to match a set of theater cards, well that is something special.

The "Destroy All Monsters" full kaiju set they did recently is :monocle:

I've bought 5 X-Plus kaiju. Some are way out of my price range, but the ones I get are so loving worth it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dat price tag.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What movie was rainbow ghidorah from? :confused:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Wemus posted:

I think he had the rainbow coloring in early screen tests of Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster before they realized it looked like poo poo and made him gold.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

Apparently it was his planned original color scheme. All that exist of it are a few photos now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now I anxiously await the 2019 Gidorah to be photoshopped with those colors.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Trois couleurs: Gidra

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Xiuhcoatl

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kong will pilot a jaeger Mechagodzilla.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CelticPredator posted:

Squint close to Kong's left. There's an average height human on that diagram. He's colored red.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

mods changed my name posted:

did they really make a movie about the old arcade game?

Yup. And it is ridiculously fun. Absolutely a Kaiju flick. And a damned good one at that.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Have some rare Gojis:

I found this fan restoration of Cozzilla, the 1977 mondo version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters that was re-edited, dubbed, and psychedelically colorized with pigmented gels. Though the print ends up looking pretty good it's lacking subs and the colors, the main reason the edit exist, have faded significantly.

Here is a MUCH poorer quality version Cozzilla, but with subs and more accurate vibrant colors.

Also Content Warning: Cozzilla contains newsreel footage of actual bombing and people dying in brief montages.

Here's the ending with the, no joke, synth remix of Prayer for Peace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0bGvgq35a8

It makes me wish that Italian genre films would've had a glut of kaiju ripoffs. My theory is they were too lazy to build all the miniatures..

The second video is the now rare American edit of 1984's The Return of Godzilla, titled Godzilla 1985.

Now that The Return of Godzilla has had a western home media release Godzilla 1985 is rapidly fading into irrelevance. It's the direct sequel to the Raymond Burr-starring Godzilla, King of the Monsters with the character Steve Martin spliced into the narrative again. There are other edits to the narrative New World Pictures did that foist stereotypical Cold War American tropes onto it. A key scene change is one where a Soviet captain intentionally launches a nuke towards Tokyo as opposed to the original scene where he dies while trying to disarm it.

Both are worth watching, especially if you're a completionist .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
make sure you have some ice cold Dr Peppers on standby for '85!