Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp!
*throws own half-built RG Sazabi in the garbage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Mordja posted:

Welp!

Lol I was about to say that I'm not sure if I'm inspired to get better and eventually reach that level or if it's time to just give up

Anyway couple questions:

1) Finally grabbed some of the Pledge floor wax stuff that everyone uses and drat it's a lot nicer than the Vallejo gloss finish I've been using. Super easy to use, effortlessly even coating, smells like a poolside cocktail etc etc. Is there a similarly universally loved matte airbrush finish? The Vallejo stuff is okay enough but if there's a matte Pledge equivalent I'd like to check that out.

2) My preshading sucks rear end and I keep ending up deciding that I'm going for a more weather-y look than actual preshading because my control is awful. Are there any tricks for it (lower psi, thinner paint, what have you) or is it just a matter of practice and having less shaky hands?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've been very happy with Vallejo Mecha Color matte varnish, goes on quite well right out of the bottle. Alclad matte or flat topcoats are equally good but be super careful, they are lacquers and it's easy to overdo it if you go on too many coats at once.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I REALLY like the mecha color varnishes. That's what I topcoated all of my Saz with.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

what the gently caress do you guys clean vallejo from airbrushes? I love that stuff, but it seems to just gunk up my airbrush way more than Tamiya ever did. I feel like I have to dissasemble my airbrush every time I use it.

Also new goal, make my mg sazabi nicer than Xaeraels :colbert:.

garfield hentai posted:

2) My preshading sucks rear end and I keep ending up deciding that I'm going for a more weather-y look than actual preshading because my control is awful. Are there any tricks for it (lower psi, thinner paint, what have you) or is it just a matter of practice and having less shaky hands?

Mind showing a photo of some of your work? Best thing I can think of is you gotta be careful, and alway start from the middle and work your way out.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2019

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Monaghan posted:

realtalk gunpla is one of the chillest hobbies i've ever had but it's pretty cool when posters in here inspire each other to set a higher standard for their own craftsmanship

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Monaghan posted:

what the gently caress do you guys clean vallejo from airbrushes? I love that stuff, but it seems to just gunk up my airbrush way more than Tamiya ever did. I feel like I have to dissasemble my airbrush every time I use it.

Mind showing a photo of some of your work? Best thing I can think of is you gotta be careful, and alway start from the middle and work your way out.

I'll post some next time; on the one I'm working on now I just got fed up and went super messy to make it look dinged up instead.

Cleaning the Vallejo paints out hasn't been too big an issue for me just using their cleaner. I put a bit in the cup and wipe it down with a qtip and spray it out, then block the nozzle and sprayback and spray that out, then a third time just spraying it out normally. Works pretty well for me.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Monaghan posted:

I just keep a bucket of water that is slightly soapy and when finished painting I crank up the psi and dunk the airbrush past the cup, give the cup a quick swirl with paper towel/qtip and go full trigger.

Seems to clean it enough. If it needs any attention I'll pull the needle and qtip the bottom of the cup with laquer thinner. That poo poo will clean anything.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

garfield hentai posted:

Preshading is an overused technique. I believe 90% of model kits do not actually benefit from having unrealistically contrasted panel lines in favor of better light source shading. It is as you say a matter of practice amd pulse, but if you can't make it work then skip that step and move on to painting.

Monaghan posted:

First use vallejo thinner. Then a 50/50 windex/water mix, followed by one plain 91% isopropyl alcohol gargle. I have a buddy who swears by using acetone, but I keep telling him that eats the o-rings in the nozzle.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2019

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

i believe vallejo has a bad interaction with alcohol/ alcohol based thinners. tamiya by contrast loves alcohol as a thinner/cleaner

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

garfield hentai posted:

1) Finally grabbed some of the Pledge floor wax stuff that everyone uses and drat it's a lot nicer than the Vallejo gloss finish I've been using. Super easy to use, effortlessly even coating, smells like a poolside cocktail etc etc. Is there a similarly universally loved matte airbrush finish? The Vallejo stuff is okay enough but if there's a matte Pledge equivalent I'd like to check that out.

Pledge floor wax with Tamiya flat base mixed in. Careful though, too much flat in the mix causes clouding when it dries. It's been too long since I've painted anything but I used the guide at http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html back when I had more time.

quote:

1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin

I think I did the very flat to paint my Super Bigass Gundam (that I can't be bothered to take a more recent, not crappy picture):

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I use generic Windex on Vallejo, then lacquer thinner. I'm sure that methods like the water dip and such will work just as well, but I have a spray booth, so YMMV.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Welp!

not all at to diminish the amazing job he did but its not as hard as you think. Decent tools and the right colors are all you need to make similarly excellent models like his. The dedication and time is the biggest barrier to most people.

You can even sorta halfass it and it will come out looking really good. I know a guy who would build PGs by spray painting on the sprue and then manually hand painting the cut marks that showed once it was built. Then he would do the panel lines with a marker pen and topcoat it semi-gloss as a whole model without disassembly. It looked way better than no paint.

Everyone enjoys the hobby in different ways, some like the build, other like the painting.
I like looking at the pretty boxart as they stack up and take over all the space in my house.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 24, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Good news/bad news!

Everything from that recent Next Phase Gunpla display has been announced for general release! Hooray!

S Gundam/Ex-S Gundam is only a Ver. 1.5, boo!

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1088348224597839872?s=19

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Fauxtool posted:

not all at to diminish the amazing job he did but its not as hard as you think. Decent tools and the right colors are all you need to make similarly excellent models like his. The dedication and time is the biggest barrier to most people.

You can even sorta halfass it and it will come out looking really good. I know a guy who would build PGs by spray painting on the sprue and then manually hand painting the cut marks that showed once it was built. Then he would do the panel lines with a marker pen and topcoat it semi-gloss as a whole model without disassembly. It looked way better than no paint.

Everyone enjoys the hobby in different ways, some like the build, other like the painting.
I like looking at the pretty boxart as they stack up and take over all the space in my house.

This is perfectly true. I've only really been airbrushing for a few years, and I surprise myself on how good I've got. It's just investment in a decent setup, then research, learning and practice. Find a cool looking kit, see if there's an explanation as to how they did it, then copy that technique. Eventually you'll be confident enough to do your own experiments and make up your own techniques.

The one thing I always say about setup above all is don't cheap out on a lovely airbrush. I tried to use a trash $20 one for a long time, and thought it was just me being bad. Then I got persuaded into getting an Iwata and I've never looked back.

My biggest technique tip is to learn how to thin and regulate your pressure. I'm constantly tweaking my pressure for different purposes. After that, learn about correct base colouring and what happens when you spray a colour over different bases (black, grey, white, tan, etc) as your colour will look totally different over every choice. Lastly, there's no rule about what finish your kit should have. Mix it up, use gloss, satin and matte varnishes to suit (I used all 3 on the saz). It'll just make things look more real.

A good selection of paints helps too. I'd recommend the Mecha Color complete set to anyone. You just have to replace singles you use up then.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I just finished up the Freedom 2.0 MG, that was a really cool kit. I like how they added some neat tricks to make it very posable.

I immediately started the Destiny MG and already the arm sockets are showing its age.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

One of these days I think I'd like to get some of the first generation MGs and suffer through them so I can better appreciate just how far the series has come. But like not for more than 10 bucks because I've seen the instructions for those things and wowzers, were they even trying?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

One of these days I think I'd like to get some of the first generation MGs and suffer through them so I can better appreciate just how far the series has come. But like not for more than 10 bucks because I've seen the instructions for those things and wowzers, were they even trying?

I've been in this hobby for long enough that I built some of tho older mg's, like the gp-01 and the first mg rx-78. If you can get them for cheap, go for it. It's a trip

I remember reading comments online when the MK II 2.0 and how people were just blown away by it's amazing engineering at the time. Nowadays that kit would be considered a really sub-par mg.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I have the limited edition metallic MG RX-78 v1.0.

It barely counts as a HG by today's standards. IIRC it was my 3rd or 4th kit ever after the MG G Gundam and the MG RX-78-4 G04 when I first got into Gunpla in the early 2000's.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

I picked this up because it looked like a reasonable thing to figure out if I enjoyed painting and not care if I screwed it up, but then it turns out that I actually really like how it looks?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Xaerael posted:

I have the limited edition metallic MG RX-78 v1.0.

It barely counts as a HG by today's standards. IIRC it was my 3rd or 4th kit ever after the MG G Gundam and the MG RX-78-4 G04 when I first got into Gunpla in the early 2000's.

That's definitely the impression I'm getting from what I've seen.

I also like some of the weird ideas they had along the way but never quite stuck. G Gundam has that action frame, one of the RX-78s had an early example of the real grade frames, anything with screws.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I picked this up because it looked like a reasonable thing to figure out if I enjoyed painting and not care if I screwed it up, but then it turns out that I actually really like how it looks?

Say what you want about 0083, the designs were pretty great, especially all the GM variants.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the loving Dendrobium might be genuinely one of my favorite designs in all of Gundam

it is just so stupid-looking and yet so awesome-looking

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the loving Dendrobium might be genuinely one of my favorite designs in all of Gundam

it is just so stupid-looking and yet so awesome-looking

I wanna see it fight the Neo Zeong :allears:.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

I actually saw a model of the Dendrobium for sale in my local H-mart. Any Gunpla over $20 was 20% off, but even with that discount it was still around $320. :shepspends:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Ask me about the time my loving idiot local comic store offloaded their Dendrobium that I'd been coveting for about a year, and had a deposit of £75 on that I'd paid about a month prior, for £100 while I was on holiday for a week.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean I'm gonna be honest, I feel like with the Dendro the price tag is basically "HEY IF YOU ARE NOT SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY INTO GUNPLA DO NOT TOUCH THIS" more than anything

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Isn't there also a smaller Dendronobium model though? One that comes with tiny unpainted and unarticulated figures of the Gundam and the pink suit whose name I forgot. I think I saw it over at dalong somewhere.

Also, any mention of 0083 just makes me remember that there is no Bandai kit of the Xamel. And that makes me sad.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

maninthesuit posted:

Isn't there also a smaller Dendronobium model though? One that comes with tiny unpainted and unarticulated figures of the Gundam and the pink suit whose name I forgot. I think I saw it over at dalong somewhere.

Also, any mention of 0083 just makes me remember that there is no Bandai kit of the Xamel. And that makes me sad.

Yeah, a 1/350 scale, and the pink suit is the Gerbera Tetra.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Motor King put out a plastic 1/100 (actually about ~1/177) Xamel about a month or two ago that was actually pretty decent and cheap!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, a 1/350 scale, and the pink suit is the Gerbera Tetra.

There's an even smaller one than that as well.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
There was a 1/550 one of the Dendrobium, which I remember having years ago, and they did a Neue Ziel too.

It was pretty grim. The doors on the containers opened, but there wasn't a hinge, you had to pop them off and then back on again, and the only articulation I remember is a couple of joints in the claw arm. I'm not even sure it was molded in color at all - at best it might have been white and grey. Was still dope to have it in plastic, but the kit itself, I know my 16-year-old rear end didn't to it justice, and I'm not sure it'd look that good even if I had.

EDIT: Took a minute, but I found it on Dalong, and it might be even worse than I remember (not bad as a normal model kit, but if you're judging it on GunPla standards, it's rough): http://dalong.net/review/etc/hgm1/hgm1_i.htm

EDIT2: Sorry to keep updating this post, but HLJ has the wretched thing in stock and for twelve bucks it's time to put my money where my mouth is and give this bad boy another go.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 25, 2019

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Man, I've only been at this hobby for a month and a half, how the gently caress have I done six of these things already? I can see how people can end up with shelves full of these things.

Also, I really like using beam sabres in poses apparently.

I keep saying that I'm done buying kits for the time being until I know where I'm moving to, but then this beautiful bastard arrived today.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

On to the next one!

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 26, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ANAmal.net posted:

There was a 1/550 one of the Dendrobium, which I remember having years ago, and they did a Neue Ziel too.

It was pretty grim. The doors on the containers opened, but there wasn't a hinge, you had to pop them off and then back on again, and the only articulation I remember is a couple of joints in the claw arm. I'm not even sure it was molded in color at all - at best it might have been white and grey. Was still dope to have it in plastic, but the kit itself, I know my 16-year-old rear end didn't to it justice, and I'm not sure it'd look that good even if I had.

EDIT: Took a minute, but I found it on Dalong, and it might be even worse than I remember (not bad as a normal model kit, but if you're judging it on GunPla standards, it's rough): http://dalong.net/review/etc/hgm1/hgm1_i.htm

EDIT2: Sorry to keep updating this post, but HLJ has the wretched thing in stock and for twelve bucks it's time to put my money where my mouth is and give this bad boy another go.

I have the 550 on my shelf and it's not awful. It's just that despite the High Grade *cough*Mechanics*cough* label it's definitely more of a traditional model kit than a Gunpla. For a cost and space effective way to get the Dendrobium on your shelf though, there's not much better.

Veotax posted:

Man, I've only been at this hobby for a month and a half, how the gently caress have I done six of these things already? I can see how people can end up with shelves full of these things.

You mean like this?

This isn't even all of them. :negative: And I have to move apartments next month god help me, though it might be a nice opportunity to get some better shelves because I build up that wall piecemeal and it really shows.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 26, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Double post, Bandai hasn't announced as such yet but they sneakily dropped this on twitter along with a reminder that 0080 is on TV tonight.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1089098157814730752?s=19

I want to say MG Alex Ver 2.0 but there's been a lot of MG announcements already for 2019 and we haven't had a new RG announcement yet.

Edit edit: nevermind

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 26, 2019

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

RillAkBea posted:

This isn't even all of them. :negative: And I have to move apartments next month god help me, though it might be a nice opportunity to get some better shelves because I build up that wall piecemeal and it really shows.

That Bear shelf is inspiring me. I just realized I have some of the Bandai risers too, and have been having trouble displaying all of my Bears.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh joy. I happened to be in Croydon today so I popped into the store up here that sold Gunpla and it seems that they've replaced their small selection with more loving Funko Pops.

Guess I'm down to buying online only unless I want to take a trip into central London.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

RillAkBea posted:

I have the 550 on my shelf and it's not awful. It's just that despite the High Grade *cough*Mechanics*cough* label it's definitely more of a traditional model kit than a Gunpla. For a cost and space effective way to get the Dendrobium on your shelf though, there's not much better.

You mean like this?

Yeah, I'm not going to say I never thought about the HG, but the 1/550 is by far the easier one to afford/build/store. I might not have been entirely fair to it, like you said, you have to think of it as a normal model kit, not a GunPla. And by those standards I think it's pretty decent for what it is, but I guess I'll find out for sure when it shows up.

That's a really nice collection, by the way, both in content and presentation.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Xaerael posted:

Ask me about the time my loving idiot local comic store offloaded their Dendrobium that I'd been coveting for about a year, and had a deposit of £75 on that I'd paid about a month prior, for £100 while I was on holiday for a week.

It's a shame that the 1/144 Dendrobium really is just a big HG model. It's big enough it would have been easy to fit in more features, but instead half the weapon containers don't do anything and there's basically no color detail at all. I should really paint mine; it's big enough that it should be pretty easy.

I'd love for it to get a PG treatment (but stay the 1/144 scale; I think a 2.3 meter kit would be...excessive, even if a third of it is just a gun barrel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Veotax posted:

Oh joy. I happened to be in Croydon today so I popped into the store up here that sold Gunpla and it seems that they've replaced their small selection with more loving Funko Pops.

Guess I'm down to buying online only unless I want to take a trip into central London.

I lived literally across the road from that place and never bought one, just couldn't justify paying those prices anyway.