Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Here's a classic from the work archives.

Frequent problem user files ticket: THERE IS A HOLE IN MY LAPTOP

On-site tech: Checked with user. Hole is her Ethernet port. Explained this. Closing case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

The 'shouldn't exist' part is correct. I don't think Ubiquiti have ever had those phones working, and still don't know what their plans are. Reading their forums there are people who seem to not accept that something can exist unless it's made by Ubiquiti so you get weird requests for them to bring out their own range of UPSes.

Do I need to once again reiterate my horror story of being one of Ubiquiti's 4 tech support about 5 years ago?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chin up everything sucks posted:

Do I need to once again reiterate my horror story of being one of Ubiquiti's 4 tech support about 5 years ago?

:munch:

Also, what’s the deal with the dancing banana with the Ubiquiti sign smilie?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ugh grandstream config files are the worst. it's just 10,000 lines of options that shouldn't exist, but if you change one it could very well gently caress absolutely everything.
And it's all barely documented number codes instead of anything remotely readable.

How anyone could look at what Polycom, Sipura/Linksys/CiscoSB, Aastra, Cisco, or Yealink have done, then look at Grandstream's configs, and think "Yes, this is the right way..." boggles my mind. I feel like the only rational answer is something along the lines of how Nintendo's executives had never used Xbox Live or PSN and thus had no idea their online services were so horrible by comparison.

I don't mind Grandstream hardware, and they're usually pretty cheap, but we don't recommend anyone buy their phones because they're such a pain in the dick to configure. We still use the GXP42xx large-scale ATAs though because they're a lot cheaper than Adtran TA9xxs and there aren't really any single device tweaks with them, so it's worth the trouble to work out one template and just stick with it.

:justpost: I definitely missed this the first time around.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

You saved me from buying into their security cameras so yeah... I think so.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I was just looking at a job posting at a finance company and it mentioned a "trading turret" so I googled it hoping it was some kind of terminal with a gun, now I kind of want one

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ganon posted:

I was just looking at a job posting at a finance company and it mentioned a "trading turret" so I googled it hoping it was some kind of terminal with a gun, now I kind of want one

Needs more handsets.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ganon posted:

:stare:

That sure is a ... thing!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The blue handset is for yelling “BUY!!!” and the red one is for yelling “SELL!!!”

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Here's a classic from the work archives.

Frequent problem user files ticket: THERE IS A HOLE IN MY LAPTOP

On-site tech: Checked with user. Hole is her Ethernet port. Explained this. Closing case.

Should have filled a jack with putty, painted it black, and given as a plug.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

Some people really just want to see the world burn, eh?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Actually not a bad idea given how much crap inevitably builds up in them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ugh.
We have a new customer, and we expect ticket volumes to be low.

To connect to their stuff, we need to have individual accounts, no generic access one for the whole support desk.

The individual accounts lock out if not used for 60 days, meaning you need to call them to reactivate, and then they delete if not reactivated within 90 days.
Don't get me wrong, that's 5 months, but we have a lot of customers, and I'm willing to bet that at some point someone gets a backshift of on call case for them, and hasn't used their account in that period.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A colleague visited one of our production sites down south. £millions worth of kit all runs off a single workstation that can't be turned off or fail for any reason. It sits on a wobbly, wheeled trolley it sometimes shares with cleaning supplies and interfaces with said kit like so:

Cool

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mehall posted:

Ugh.
We have a new customer, and we expect ticket volumes to be low.

To connect to their stuff, we need to have individual accounts, no generic access one for the whole support desk.

The individual accounts lock out if not used for 60 days, meaning you need to call them to reactivate, and then they delete if not reactivated within 90 days.
Don't get me wrong, that's 5 months, but we have a lot of customers, and I'm willing to bet that at some point someone gets a backshift of on call case for them, and hasn't used their account in that period.

Sounds to me they have a sane user account policy.

Role-based/group accounts are BAD.

I have an account to a system that's in a semi-gapped environment. My expiry is 30 days inactive and deletion 15 days after that. My solution: calendar reminder set to every 2 weeks to log in to the account.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 28, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they have an internal page to do account unlocks/password resets then could they provide you access to this, authenticated via your own SAML IdP, so your team can unlock their own accounts with a full audit trail?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah that seems like a sane third party policy with lots of possible secure solutions.

How easy is it to recreate a working profile if it does get deleted and you've verified, etc?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bitterandtwisted posted:

A colleague visited one of our production sites down south. £millions worth of kit all runs off a single workstation that can't be turned off or fail for any reason. It sits on a wobbly, wheeled trolley it sometimes shares with cleaning supplies and interfaces with said kit like so:

Cool

I assume the original horizontal 386 desktop unit managing whatever that trainwreck is was crushed under the weight of its CRT screen, judging by the judicious serial cable usage? :stare:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

All of our workstations say “Windows is not genuine” and Office was upgraded over the weekend leaving 95% of my coworkers unable to navigate their email due to a slight change in gui , and the EMR now will not run unless you push Run as admin and nobody understands how to do that either

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

freeedr posted:

All of our workstations say “Windows is not genuine” and Office was upgraded over the weekend leaving 95% of my coworkers unable to navigate their email due to a slight change in gui , and the EMR now will not run unless you push Run as admin and nobody understands how to do that either

For the first, see if you got affected by that Microsoft patch that broke KMS. I don't remember the KB article but Google around and look on /r/sysadmin or the Windows enterprise thread on here a couple pages back.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

nielsm posted:

Ahem.

https://www.amazon.com/iexcell-Ethernet-Cover-Protector-Quantity/dp/B073VKZNY8

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jeffcarlson/status/1089950465909870592

Man, I don't envy the fed computer janitors today

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Phuzzy posted:

And this is why you either manually (well, powershell) or through something like Anixis expire 1/12 of the passwords every month for a year so you don't have "password reset day".

Oh I just realized these people are probably still on the "expire every 30 days" kick and that's why they got this bullshit.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

And this is why you either manually (well, powershell) or through something like Anixis expire 1/12 of the passwords every month for a year so you don't have "password reset day".

Oh I just realized these people are probably still on the "expire every 30 days" kick and that's why they got this bullshit.

This might not be "password expires every 30 days"; this could be "account locks if not used for 30 days because you presumably don't need that access anymore".

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Max Peck posted:

This might not be "password expires every 30 days"; this could be "account locks if not used for 30 days because you presumably don't need that access anymore".

Or, "I've been gone so long I don't remember my password, can you reset it?"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

And.....365's web presence appears to be down. Back-end infrastructure seems fine, sending/receiving email etc., but the portals are not accessible due to a DNS error.

:bravo:

edit: apparently a "portion of infrastructure" developed problems and had to be restarted. Not a great look Microsoft that your poo poo isn't redundant/scaled enough that it still apparently has single points of failure.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 29, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

And.....365's web presence appears to be down. Back-end infrastructure seems fine, sending/receiving email etc., but the portals are not accessible due to a DNS error.

But... but.... the CLOUD!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ah DNS

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

It's not DNS.

There's no way it's DNS.

(Actually it appears not to have been DNS this one time, but the haiku remains the holy law of IT).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I need a House MD style shirt that has my face on it and says IT'S ALWAYS DNS

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Always-DNS-Sysadmin-T-Shirt/dp/B075H1VSZH

Is this close enough?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/mgdm/status/1090369448433909760

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Phuzzy posted:

Just write a script that changes everyone's password to "Th4nksTrump!" and then BCC the entire org telling them what their new password is.
Done. Let's go to lunch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:lol: our G Suite licenses are going from £6.60/month to £9.20/month due to a combination of the price rises announced a couple of weeks back, and the fact that they're only now getting round to correcting the massive discrepancy that opened up from the ongoing project to turbofuck our entire economy. A cool 39% increase :feelsgood:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

:lol: our G Suite licenses are going from £6.60/month to £9.20/month due to a combination of the price rises announced a couple of weeks back, and the fact that they're only now getting round to correcting the massive discrepancy that opened up from the ongoing project to turbofuck our entire economy. A cool 39% increase :feelsgood:

I don't know know why they're raising the cost? 20 years of data protection laws disappear in a month or so and they can just data mine yours without a care in the world.

just lol if you think that you pay for it, you're not being datamined in some way.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Max Peck posted:

It's the government so it's probably password expires every 30 days

Where I work does a ton of work with the government and we have to do 30 day passwords as well I believe to meet their security requirements to handle their data

(I might be wrong on this one but I suspect it's something where someone wrote it that way long ago and it's just become a codified part of "security" for government work)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just write a script that changes everyone's password to "Th4nksTrump!" and then BCC the entire org telling them what their new password is.
Done. Let's go to lunch.

That’s sure worked well as a forums avatar sales driver

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Does anyone who uses ZenDesk have advice on figuring out what the most common ticket requests are if we don't use tags very well?

Our tags are super vague (eg just the name of which platform) so I'm assuming there's no way to find out actually what people are asking without going through 10k tickets manually?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone who uses ZenDesk have advice on figuring out what the most common ticket requests are if we don't use tags very well?

Our tags are super vague (eg just the name of which platform) so I'm assuming there's no way to find out actually what people are asking without going through 10k tickets manually?

Is there any kind of database you can access, or even a report builder? You could probably throw that data into some kind of processor to pull out common titles, description keywords, etc. Hell, worst case, put it all in an Excel spreadsheet and start filtering on columns until you get something usable.

I don't know poo poo about ZenDesk, but that's what I'd do with the raw data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

stevewm posted:

But... but.... the CLOUD!

The number of loving times I've explained...