Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rastor posted:

Storing the footage, editing the footage, special effects...

How many 8K editing suites are out there? 8K color grading displays? Where are the 8K theatres to project it in?

You can store it on standard hard drives and already edit it in Premiere Pro. As far as color grading goes, you can grade it just fine on non 8K color grading monitors. We grade 4K stuff all the time on a 1080 FSI monitor.

The barrier to making 8K isn't as a big of a deal as past resolutions (mainly from SD to HD). The infrastructure to support it is, by and large, the same.

Now, when you talk about 8K theaters and home delivery systems that's a valid, but different discussion. You said the "tech to create 8K content does not exist" and that's flat out objectively wrong. It exists and is actually being used, though still in a young state.

edit: And I don't think I'd think of theaters as the gold standard for display tech. It's pretty clear companies are investing in advancing the home tech at an affordable rate and streaming will start catching up even faster than it is now. Traditional cable companies are the aircraft carriers struggling to turn but streaming is catching up pretty quick.

edit 2: edited to remove a bit of the snark.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hell my cable provider looks like absolute poo poo compared to a 1080p rip.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

Hell my cable provider looks like absolute poo poo compared to a 1080p rip.

They can really be channel dependent. I have some that look great, but SYFY's HD channel looks like someone took a 480p YouTube rip and upscaled it. It's insanely garbage.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I DVR like 40 things and torrent a handful of them just because they look like rear end via my cable provider. I don't care since I'm paying for cable anyways. ABC probably looks the best. CBS does not. Syfy, like you, is poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Only kinda vaguely related, but I had to laugh at an episode of The Goldbergs the other day which did a typical scene showing them watching something on the TV and it was blatant from the compression artifacts that they had to source the clip from YouTube or similar.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

Syfy, like you, is poo poo.

Jesus come on man I'm trying here.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rastor posted:

The other factor is: what does 8K add?

DVD was a clear upgrade over VHS.
HD was a clear upgrade over DVD.
4K... 4K resolution on its own wasn't much of an improvement. Remember that a lot of theatres project at HD resolution. When theatres have a 4K protector installed it's a selling point. 4K resolution needs to be combined with HDR to make for an impressive image that clearly beats HD.

So the question isn't actually "is it possible to go to 8K". Sure, it's possible, especially if you're talking about 2030 and not 2020.
The actual question is: why should anybody care?

4K for TVs was an easy "sell" since it costs nothing for the manufacturers to implement, not because of actual consumer demand for the upgrade. 8K is going to follow the same route.

As for FALD/not-fake HDR/whatever other cool poo poo, the non-videophiles aren't gonna care until they are baseline features, but yet at the same time the manufacturers are not making it happen since the margins are already non-existent on most TVs.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

American McGay posted:

And cable providers still can't deliver 4K content.

Comcast loves their compressed as hell 720p

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rastor posted:

Storing the footage, editing the footage, special effects...

How many 8K editing suites are out there? 8K color grading displays? Where are the 8K theatres to project it in?

I’m a video editor. While I don’t work on feature films, I do a lot of commercials. We’ve only ever shipped out one 4K commercial. Most of the time we shoot in 4K to do blowups and master in 1080p.

Editing with 4K footage has finally gotten to the point where you can work with multiple streams of 4K and not really have problems. gently caress if I ever have to deal with 8K any time soon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, yes sure 8K production is possible right now start to finish, but it's also exponentially resource intensive. You'll get less than a half hour of 8K footage per $2000 minimag. It's literally not worth it to produce 8K content that isn't just live broadcast.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Iirc Comcast is moving to h265 and has 4k in some markets.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Palladium posted:

4K for TVs was an easy "sell" since it costs nothing for the manufacturers to implement, not because of actual consumer demand for the upgrade. 8K is going to follow the same route.

As for FALD/not-fake HDR/whatever other cool poo poo, the non-videophiles aren't gonna care until they are baseline features, but yet at the same time the manufacturers are not making it happen since the margins are already non-existent on most TVs.

Yeah this is probably the core truth, the TV manufacturers are going to be able to implement 8K for a few bucks more and they will decide it is worth it for the marketing value. And they won't care whether there is any 8K content for it and the average consumer won't care either, they will just say "welp more Ks must be better" and then hook up their garbage cable TV signal to it and watch it in the wrong aspect ratio with motion smoothing turned on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember 80s moms would parrot on about watching TV too long/too close or whatever would give you 'square eyes'. We need to convince them that motion smoothing does the same thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rastor posted:

Yeah this is probably the core truth, the TV manufacturers are going to be able to implement 8K for a few bucks more and they will decide it is worth it for the marketing value. And they won't care whether there is any 8K content for it and the average consumer won't care either, they will just say "welp more Ks must be better" and then hook up their garbage cable TV signal to it and watch it in the wrong aspect ratio with motion smoothing turned on.

It will be a major bummer if the current crop of meaningful technology advanced (OLED, HDR, color improvements, contrast improvements, etc.) gets interrupted so that everyone can focus on a meaningless 8K improvement for a few years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's the real issue.

We run the risk of real image quality improvements being derailed in favor of pixel density. OLED's drive into mainstream may be pushed out by cheaper 8k LCD panels because more is better.

One of the reasons why plasma died as sudden death as it did was it wasn't economically (or power consumption) feasible to push into 4k. No one was going to buy a new 1080p set for a premium price, so demand dried up.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55R617 $499 shipped

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hi Brad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Thank you for your service David.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Ah yes the well known 'buydig.com' I'm sure their return process for a shattered TV will be quick and painless.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Man I wish Vudu would do 4K on the PS4 Pro.

They seem to be the only provider with a good 4K selection AND the ability to rent instead of buy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Ah yes the well known 'buydig.com' I'm sure their return process for a shattered TV will be quick and painless.

BuyDig is pretty well known and has been around forever. Typically they have the cheapest OLED prices with call-in sales that are several hundred dollars cheaper than anywhere else. I've never heard of anyone having issues with returns, although obviously returning to a local store would be easier for most people.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Something Offal posted:

I coincidentally recently bought (and returned) a tv from BeachCamera (same company as buydig) through Greentoe, and can vouch (at least for Sony) that they're an authorized retailer. I was also able to return pretty easily, and they paid for return shipping and pickup at my house so this isn't necessarily a fraudulent place to buy if anyone is interested. (I can't speak to the Google Express process, nor how trustworthy Brad is).

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Mhm I looked into it and I guess if I were looking at that TV today I'd take the deal. Looks like Google Express has additional return protections too. What is a call-in sale?

Thanks Brad and David!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Something Offal posted:

What is a call-in sale?

You have to call in and order from a phone rep. Presumably this is to avoid running afoul of agreements on lowest advertised prices, etc. You'll see a post on SlickDeals like, "Call-in: LG 4K OLED TV: OLED65B8PUA $1799, 55" OLED55B8PUA $1199 (Until 4PM EST) + Free S&H." You call in, tell them you saw they're doing a special that day for that price and they ship it to you. As far as I can tell, this has been the cheapest way to get an LG OLED most of the time.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
8K and above will probably be more relevant to the VR space to continually reduce the screen door effect.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Hey guys, I think this would be the place to post about how my family is looking to sell our Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD Rear Projection CRT TV that must now be over 18 years old. I'm not sure where one would go about to sell it, I have no idea about the price, and all I know is that there are apparently some really passionate people who value the superior display of rear projection if modified right. Looking for one of those services that fine tune them to get done before selling it as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Do not spend money on it. Post it on avsforum and see if anyone has interest.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Well the saddest thing happened today. Turned on my OLED65C7P today and noticed there was a line across the top and down the left side. Closer inspection showed that the screen was cracked in the very top left corner. We have a book shelf next to the TV and a kitty that likes to chew nearby objects when she's laying down and my guess is she was laying on top of the bookshelf and chewed the corner of the TV. Since the OLED is so thin she can actually get her mouth around the screen pretty easily. Out of warranty but I doubt this would be covered anyways. I put in a request to LG to see what the cost of a repair would be but I'm guessing it will be close to the price of a new OLED. Rough times.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I was going to buy one of these, but then I saw that it has bad vertical banding under some common circumstances. There are also some other pretty common issues with the screen. I'm really easy annoyed by any kind of uniformity issue, banding, and stuff like that.

Should I still buy one? What TV should I get? I don't even want a TV but my wife does. Price isn't too big of a concern, but to put it in context we will hardly use the TV. 2 hours per week at most. I wish they were selling 1080p dumb tvs with decent panels or something, I'd buy that.

I'm a big time monitor nerd which doesn't help.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 22, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Radioactive Toy posted:

Well the saddest thing happened today. Turned on my OLED65C7P today and noticed there was a line across the top and down the left side. Closer inspection showed that the screen was cracked in the very top left corner. We have a book shelf next to the TV and a kitty that likes to chew nearby objects when she's laying down and my guess is she was laying on top of the bookshelf and chewed the corner of the TV. Since the OLED is so thin she can actually get her mouth around the screen pretty easily. Out of warranty but I doubt this would be covered anyways. I put in a request to LG to see what the cost of a repair would be but I'm guessing it will be close to the price of a new OLED. Rough times.

Sorry to hear about that man, that's real crappy. Can we get a photo of the cat?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Radioactive Toy posted:

https://www.tvserviceparts.com/LG-EAJ63950601.html

Enjoy!

May also be this one
https://www.tvserviceparts.com/LG-EAJ64448001.html

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Something Offal posted:

Sorry to hear about that man, that's real crappy. Can we get a photo of the cat?

Hard to see in the picture but the entire left side of the screen now has some terrible horizontal banding.

Here's the little monster.

Honestly this is more than I'm seeing a new 65C8P at some places, I might just upgraded this and keep the old one for an extra room TV in the future some time. Though now the TV is also turning itself off occasionally so I dunno if it's worth keeping. Might need to do some research and see if it's worth waiting for a 2019 model as I've been out of the TV research game for a year and a half.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Hell yea, the freight line lost my tv for 4 days so Target gave me another $50 off. 65r17 for $780 after tax.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If anyone lives in Chicagoland, somebody on Nextdoor is selling their 55" C8 for $1,600

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Hey guys, not sure if this the thread to ask, but I just upgraded my ancient and slow Roku 2 XD to a Roku Premiere and it works great except for the YouTube app, which is one I use a lot.

The issue I'm having is that my TV is 1080P and detected as such, and everything works like it should in the YouTube app until I go to play a video. Even if the video is 1080P or larger, it still only shows 720P size on my 1080P screen. The weird part is that if I bring up the menu or do anything else, it works properly on my screen like it should. It's like it's just not full sizing the video for some reason. I've tried every combination of uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting, and resizing both my TV display and the Roku resolutions. Nothing changes it. The one interesting thing is when I downscale the Roku to 720, THEN the YouTube app plays the video full-screen, like it should. I have googled everything I can think of and can't find anyone with the same issue. Has anyone here experienced this or something similar?

Some pictures:
Main YouTube menu. Everything fine and showing at 1080
https://imgur.com/h9C6XPR

Playing a 1080 video. Brought up the nerd stats so you can see it's actually reading 1080 but only showing 720. The rest of the TV is just black
https://imgur.com/OLWx4Qn

However, if I bring up the menu, the YouTube app IS using the full 1080 resolution. Just not for the video
https://imgur.com/FT1LfCF

and yes my TV is ancient but it still has a good picture and it was free

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have an LG C7, a Denon X1400, a Shield, and a Harmony. I still want to use the built-in Netflix app instead of the Shield for Dolby Vision.

I setup a Harmony activity to do so but the receiver kept switching to the Shield input since I think it detected activity. I turned off HDMI control in the receiver which stopped the switching, but now Netflix just doesn't launch on the TV. I don't really know if there's an "input" to select in the Harmony activity for Netflix but I'm wondering if that's what I'm missing. Anyone have this experience?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Amazon and Netflix both have quick buttons on harmony. Here is my harmony sequence.

Power on tv
Power on receiver
Do nothing with tv input
Set denon to TV input (Arc)
Then have harmony send the "Netflix" command to the tv

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My hero. The TV was being set to an input called Netflix instead of sending the button command.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My LG is still doing that weird thing where it won't recognize the input from my computer (DVI-HDMI) unless I manually unplug the HDMI terminal and plug it into a different one on the back. SimpLink/HDMI-CEC is disabled, so is ARC. What could be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Welp, wife fell in love with LG OLEDs after seeing me eye-balling a few at BestBuy. We're probably going to wait til the new line launches this year. I'm guessing towards the end of spring early summer is when we'll see these new models?