Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just handed in notice and reminded why it sucks.

30 minutes after I tell my boss, the CEO speaks to me in person and offers to match the comp +5% that EA is offering. I feel like contemplating it because I have a really good rapport with my boss and also the CEO, and also I genuinely care about our products and my work, but my logical side is screaming at me that this is just a desperation move and that I'd never have gotten if I didn't hold a gun to their head. Accepting the counter offer would also burn all bridges with EA in the future (not necessarily a bad outcome). Someone tell me that I should turn this down without hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

30 minutes after I tell my boss, the CEO speaks to me in person and offers to match the comp +5% that EA is offering. I feel like contemplating it because I have a really good rapport with my boss and also the CEO, and also I genuinely care about our products and my work, but my logical side is screaming at me that this is just a desperation move and that I'd never have gotten if I didn't hold a gun to my head. Someone tell me that I should turn this down without hesitation.

Ask him to pro-rate it to the middle of last year. That way you know if the counter-offer is a fake offer (that is, they pay you more while shopping your replacement).

Alternatively: NEVER TAKE THE COUNTER-OFFER, but (while a useful general principle) that seems too doctrinaire a policy and may not apply to your situation?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 25, 2019

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I’ve only regretted not taking the counter once. and only because the counter was huge. if I’d taken it I just would’ve kept looking anyway while making more money and still hating the job. I think the general advice is good. it’s easy to be emotionally swayed by people wanting you to not leave. also 5% doesn’t seem like that much

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

30 minutes after I tell my boss, the CEO speaks to me in person and offers to match the comp +5% that EA is offering. I feel like contemplating it because I have a really good rapport with my boss and also the CEO, and also I genuinely care about our products and my work, but my logical side is screaming at me that this is just a desperation move and that I'd never have gotten if I didn't hold a gun to their head. Accepting the counter offer would also burn all bridges with EA in the future (not necessarily a bad outcome). Someone tell me that I should turn this down without hesitation.

Question: Why are you handing in your notice? Is it lack of money or lack of something else?

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
The first time this happened I accepted the counter, it was only match + a slight token and eventually I left anyway.

For me, ever since, if I have taken the time to go as far as getting an offer from a new employer there are a enough (if not a lot of) reasons to leave and I have not regretted leaving. To stay and accept a counter the difference would need to be 2x, not just a match, they need to give me a reason to stay and I already have the match.

This definitely matters and would make all the difference:

Boiled Water posted:

Question: Why are you handing in your notice? Is it lack of money or lack of something else?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah skip the counter if they wanted you that badly you wouldn't have to work for it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Always leave and say the pay is bad and they should have made it right earlier. How will they ever learn if these garbage last minute token offers work all the time. gently caress em

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

never accept the counter offer

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

its trite but tru

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
when i quit my job in october i took a counteroffer (sorta - they asked me back on contract)

on monday i'm giving notice that i'm terminating that contract effective end of Feb

:toot:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

90% lack of money. The rest is political between our team and another.

Even so, I'd only probably be staying because ~emotions~. Not usually a great reasoning point. I'm glad I gave notice on a Friday so I have the weekend to really let it settle.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
taking the counteroffer can be dangerous, but taking the counteroffer is also a chance to get paid more to do the same job

also holy poo poo gently caress working at a game company

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My coworker is a game industry alum and he wants to never return to it because he had 5 jobs last year from various layoffs and such. Making a fart app is more stable work

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

taking the counteroffer can be dangerous, but taking the counteroffer is also a chance to get paid more to do the same job

yeah never take the counteroffer except in this case so you dont work at a game company lmao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Schadenboner posted:

Ask him to pro-rate it to the middle of last year. That way you know if the counter-offer is a fake offer (that is, they pay you more while shopping your replacement).

Do this and then leave after the back-pay comes in.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I doubt they'd start shopping for a replacement, the CEO isn't quite that vindictive. I guess with my boss behind me (which he definitely is), my position would be somewhat secure unless there was serious cash flow problems with the company. But then again, who knows who'd be the first to go in that instance. And yeah I get the "gently caress working at a game company" mentality, but it's also important to recognize that this isn't a game studio role, just working on the engine which has no fixed deadlines like if it was a game team.

gently caress it. I'll think about it on the weekend.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

brand engager posted:

Think I'm getting my first interview. Been talking through email with a guy who visited our software engineering presentation at campus last year. He wants to meet at the school tomorrow, and asked me to make a presentation on one of my past projects. aaaaaa

Got hired with a trial period for a few months where I'll be working hourly first. I couldn't read him at all during the interview so I thought I was doing poorly, but he hired me right after :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

brand engager posted:

Got hired with a trial period for a few months where I'll be working hourly first. I couldn't read him at all during the interview so I thought I was doing poorly, but he hired me right after :shrug:

be job hunting the whole time because there's a 50% chance they'll just fire you at the end of the trial.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

survived an hour and a half on the phone. phone audio quality, even mildly thick accents and my ears combine into way too many 'i'm sorry?'s for my liking

good interview though, think it'll lead to an inperson if i read him right. one minor blip, the "so what made you want to apply to Company Z" question caught me a bit flatfooted because it was a headhunter referral. guess the guy didn't get the memo. makes me want to find an honest but nice way to say "it's a job and it probably beats $current_job"

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

survived an hour and a half on the phone. phone audio quality, even mildly thick accents and my ears combine into way too many 'i'm sorry?'s for my liking

good interview though, think it'll lead to an inperson if i read him right. one minor blip, the "so what made you want to apply to Company Z" question caught me a bit flatfooted because it was a headhunter referral. guess the guy didn't get the memo. makes me want to find an honest but nice way to say "it's a job and it probably beats $current_job"

Looking to expand professional horizons

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

honest but nice
hmm,

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

"I was referred to you by my recruiter and I find your company interesting as I am looking for a career change."

(of course do the needful and look the company up as well before you have the talk if at all possible)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

WRT relocating, how much assistance can I expect or reasonably ask for (if any) when it comes to getting out of an apartment lease?

I think I'm due to re-sign in April and would likely switch to month to month if I can, but that's quite a lot more expensive to stretch out

for a big company (google, amazon, etc) you will be well taken care of. they’ll generally give you points you can spend on full service moving, finding a new place, preview visits, etc and there’s also a “just give me money and I’ll do it all” option. my experience is that the package is very generous but I’ve no idea if what I got is above/below/right at average. I want to say that paying for lease breakage was one of the things we could pick.

my old/current company (then ~700 employees, now ~1500, tech company that is not public) would reimburse up to 10k when I moved for them; I think what would reimburse was defined by the IRS. we were reimbursed for the move and mileage, but nothing else. we ended up about $1500 out of pocket (well, out of signing bonus) paying for our old rent until the (fair + good) landlords found a new tenant. my relocation package was quite good by the company’s standards at the time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Penisface posted:

"I was referred to you by my recruiter and I find your company interesting as I am looking for a career change."

(of course do the needful and look the company up as well before you have the talk if at all possible)

yeah up to now i've been able to answer through looking the company up (and luckily there has been something genuinely interesting about the lot so far; this time "you're better than current job" was all I had but I stumbled :v:)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
e: answered

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

getting the imposter syndrome feelings now that the interview shock has worn off.
"gently caress what do I actually do when I show up on monday"
"what do developers even do on a day to day basis"
"aaaaaa"

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

brand engager posted:

read yospos duh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
mostly solve made-up problems

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

brand engager posted:

id not heard of a 'trial period' where they straight up paid or treated you differently in any explicit way. in fact from looking it up just now it turns out that here in nz you are supposed to be treated the same by law during the trial period. instead the only functional difference i saw was that the employer claimed an ability to fire you more easily during that period

my current nz job had one like that, and i think a couple of my prior us jobs had had them too. in all cases it was basically 'we can fire you for any reason' but there wasnt any day-to-day difference during the period. tbh in the us it felt kinda pointless given the ease of firing people in general

brand engager posted:

reverse linked lists

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

brand engager posted:

justify the work you're told to do to the people who told you to do it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qhat posted:

for what it's worth ive twice had counter offers upon turning in my resignation and in hindsight i think turning them down and moving on was 100% the right move in both cases

its not like you just decided to have an offer for a new position float into your lap, obviously something significant was wrong with the current place for you to put the effort into looking elsewhere. and i could see it being mega awkward sticking around at a place after a situation like that

that said, EA lol

edit: also re "burning bridges" nobody cares and within 3-6mo everyone is guaranteed to have forgotten your face/name anyway. a few months ago an applicant at my last company had skipped the flight we'd booked for their onsite interview with zero notice and i forgot their name within a week

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 26, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Progressive JPEG posted:

for what it's worth ive twice had counter offers upon turning in my resignation and in hindsight i think turning them down and moving on was 100% the right move in both cases

its not like you just decided to have an offer for a new position float into your lap, obviously something significant was wrong with the current place for you to put the effort into looking elsewhere. and i could see it being mega awkward sticking around at a place after a situation like that

that said, EA lol

edit: also re "burning bridges" nobody cares and within 3-6mo everyone is guaranteed to have forgotten your face/name anyway. a few months ago an applicant at my last company had skipped the flight we'd booked for their onsite interview with zero notice and i forgot their name within a week

So, right now after a beer or two, I'm thinking turning down the counter-offer is absolutely the correct thing to do. At the end of the day, the counter offer is in the company's best interests; not necessarily mine. It exists because they have no idea who the replacement is and are scared it could be someone who has no idea what they are doing. I can help with that in my notice period, but ultimately that's their problem.

Also, I've spoken to numerous ex-EA (senior) employees while I've been here. Absolutely none of them, even those currently working for companies such as MS (i.e people who have no reason to give them a clean bill of health), so far have recommended not working for them. They're very adamant EA (now) is very different to EA (2010). I also asked the hiring manager "how often do you guys work overtime", and he said, without hesitation, "I can count on one hand the number of times I've asked people to work overtime". Basically, I'm willing to give it a shot. I might be making a horrible mistake, but who knows.

qhat fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 26, 2019

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

as long as you’re not being hired at one of those studios that’s currently bombing you’ll be fine

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

as long as you’re not being hired at one of those studios that’s currently bombing you’ll be fine

I'm being hired by frostbite, so it should be okay and relatively immune to blips in their product catalogue.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Progressive JPEG posted:

I vetoed a potential hire once because i knew the guy from a previous job and he was an abrasive and racist rear end in a top hat

im not trying to counter your argument im just real glad i remembered the fuckers name at the time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

I vetoed a potential hire once because i knew the guy from a previous job and he was an abrasive and racist rear end in a top hat

im not trying to counter your argument im just real glad i remembered the fuckers name at the time

oh yeah if you actually worked with someone thats different, good point

i just mean with the interview process youre only having brief interactions with potentially dozens of candidates and its unlikely youll remember any of them for very long

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

qhat posted:

I also asked the hiring manager "how often do you guys work overtime", and he said, without hesitation, "I can count on one hand the number of times I've asked people to work overtime".

That's a pro dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I found a posting for a programmer position once that said

quote:

typical work week is 8-5, M-F
The next line

quote:

employee will be expected to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as well as on call work

That tab got closed fast