Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

It is in Ground Zeroes, but Phantom Pain still has the whole sequence of events with Paz from the GZ ending.

Also Quiet. Just...Quiet.

Excuse me she breathes through her skin which is why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Since we're talking about old ps1 games, here's Cinema Nippon covering Parasite Eve, uploaded about two days after I completed the first game (never released in Europe :argh: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV1pqLJKCio

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Excuse me she breathes through her skin which is why

I am ashamed of my words and deeds.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

banjo-kazooie is still the best one and it's weird how the later games (including yooka laylee) somehow had worse design.
honestly tooie is much more fun to play as a marathon game

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone remember Jersey Devil for the PS1?
only because it was featured on Nitrorad

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hel posted:

Where the main upgrade mechanic is built on enslaving people.

Everyone wants to be there :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baka-nin posted:

Since we're talking about old ps1 games, here's Cinema Nippon covering Parasite Eve, uploaded about two days after I completed the first game (never released in Europe :argh: )

PE was so good. Too bad it never got modern sequels.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Quiet is much sexier if you mod in the XOF fatigues so she can wear them earlier.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hot Ones finally got its most requested guest, and it's everything you'd hoped it would be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DyHthJ6LA

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Quiet is much sexier if you mod in Ocelot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any time Quiet's in the helicopter with you, I can't help but think of an MST3K riff from Space Mutiny; "She's presenting like a Mandrill!"

:same:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

PE was so good. Too bad it never got modern sequels.

How bad was third birthday? How good was PE for that matter? I always wanted to check it out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

lobster22221 posted:

How bad was third birthday? How good was PE for that matter? I always wanted to check it out.

PE is, IMHO, a PS1 classic. Fun and unique gameplay, an alright story, cool characters, it's got it.

Third Birthday is incredibly bad. Aside from having bad gameplay, a bad story, terrible characters and really needless skeevy stuff, it also destroys the characters from the previous games.

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
New Avgn, this one is another chronically confused about the Kingdom Hearts game. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-LpJnN9Imbg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lobster22221 posted:

Do not go near 3rd Birthday.

Don't ask about 3rd Birthday.

Be happy not knowing about 3rd Birthday.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

I did a playthrough of PE with my partner and we just stuck with the first gun you get the whole game. We thought hey, it works and it's cheap to upgrade. We found new guns but we had put so much into our stupid ridiculous pistol that we just kept going with it.

We made it through the whole game, just upgrading this one gun. The clip held, like, 100 shots by the end and did way more damage than it did at the start. It was great.

And then we tried to fight the last boss and found out why the game gave you other guns. We never beat it.

Still a great game.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

lobster22221 posted:

How bad was third birthday?

There is a music track in that game called Monodrama and that's really all you need to know about Third Birthday.

Edit: if you really need to know what happened in that game The Dark Id did a pretty good LP of it a while back. Reading about a lovely game is infinitely more enjoyable than actually playing it.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 25, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aya's jeans are more rips than jean.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Some major spoils for Third Birthday

You aren't even playing Aya, you're playing her clone daughter Eve in Aya's body. So all the creepy fanservice stuff is being done with a teenager. The game outright goes on to murder the real Aya in a really hamfisted and pathetic way.

Basically it takes a giant steaming poo poo on the entire PE franchise on top of just being a really gross game in a lot of its themes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6subWa8hq0
3kliksphilip takes a trip to the real life castle that inspired the de_castle map in CS:GO

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I forget who said it but the opening to Parasite Eve is pretty awesomely feminist and progressive because the first time we see Aya she is pushing her date out of the way and charging into danger

I feel like the jump from PE1 to PE2 embodies the jump of good square to bad square

PE1: unique, well-written, interesting characters, striking art design
PE2: Anime and buckles and straps and more anime

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6subWa8hq0
3kliksphilip takes a trip to the real life castle that inspired the de_castle map in CS:GO

man i don't care at all about cs:go but this guy's videos are always so pleasant and well-done i kinda just nod along in a counter-strike trance

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

failing forward posted:

I did a playthrough of PE with my partner and we just stuck with the first gun you get the whole game. We thought hey, it works and it's cheap to upgrade. We found new guns but we had put so much into our stupid ridiculous pistol that we just kept going with it.

We made it through the whole game, just upgrading this one gun. The clip held, like, 100 shots by the end and did way more damage than it did at the start. It was great.

And then we tried to fight the last boss and found out why the game gave you other guns. We never beat it.

Still a great game.

Yeah I got overwhelmed by the sheer number of guns it throws at you too, I ended up sticking with a couple and upgrading them as well as my mid level armour. I kept hold of the rocket launcher because it was so overpowered as standard I thought it must be for end game bosses.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
PushingUpRoses did another 90s children's television retrospective, this time on The Adventures of Pete & Pete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MagG2PCYEE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I forget who said it but the opening to Parasite Eve is pretty awesomely feminist and progressive because the first time we see Aya she is pushing her date out of the way and charging into danger

I feel like the jump from PE1 to PE2 embodies the jump of good square to bad square

PE1: unique, well-written, interesting characters, striking art design
PE2: Anime and buckles and straps and more anime

PE1 was also pretty heady in sticking close to the content of the original content of the novel/movie in its adaptation and Square felt that turned a lot of people off so when they made PE2 they just tried to make a Resident Evil starring Aya Brea. I think the setting and concept is solid (Parasite Eve, but in a California desert suburb town), but it’s all in the execution.

As for The 3rd Birthday, they lost the rights to pretty much everything about PE and never bothered to pay to get them back, so they couldn’t even call it Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday legally. That kind of sums of the shitshow over T3B in general in a nutshell.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

PushingUpRoses did another 90s children's television retrospective, this time on The Adventures of Pete & Pete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MagG2PCYEE

Pete & Pete was probably the greatest show on Nickelodeon, and I wish it had shaped my sensibilities as much as You Can’t Do That On Television probably did.

It’s also depressing to think about now because Ellen grew up to be a Cernovich-retweeting tradwife chud, even though she’s a heart surgeon and went to Princeton or somewhere like that.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Pete & Pete was probably the greatest show on Nickelodeon, and I wish it had shaped my sensibilities as much as You Can’t Do That On Television probably did.

It’s also depressing to think about now because Ellen grew up to be a Cernovich-retweeting tradwife chud, even though she’s a heart surgeon and went to Princeton or somewhere like that.

The mood whiplash from watching the PushingUpRoses video, getting to the end about Ellen moving out of acting to become a doctor and thinking, "Yeah, good on her!" to refreshing the thread and reading that was something else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s hugely sad. She seemed like the opposite of that kind of person until 2016. Maybe she was just always quiet about her beliefs until she got the all-clear to blast them out loud.

She’s still working as a surgeon, so she isn’t one of those house-bound tradwife people who give up their careers. Maybe she’ll get out of it eventually.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is all you need to know about 3rd birthday:

He is talking about a (pre?)teen

(nice filenames Id)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Is that Maeda? What the gently caress.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Leal posted:

This is all you need to know about 3rd birthday:

He is talking about a (pre?)teen

(nice filenames Id)

:ohno:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vanderdeath posted:

Is that Maeda? What the gently caress.

Yes. Yes it is. Did you think I was joking when I warned you all to stay well away from 3rd Birthday? If you go read Dark Id's (very excellent) LP of The 3rd Birthday, you are only causing self-harm.

Also that is not the nadir of the game. It's close, but it gets so much worse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mandalore Gaming: Stronghold series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zITBaZ99DyE

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes. Yes it is. Did you think I was joking when I warned you all to stay well away from 3rd Birthday? If you go read Dark Id's (very excellent) LP of The 3rd Birthday, you are only causing self-harm.

Also that is not the nadir of the game. It's close, but it gets so much worse.

I read that LP by accident, just hitting a random LP on the archive site. I only noticed it was a PE game halfway into the first part, and grew more and more mortified as it went on.

It's such a jumble of weird and bad decisions that you can't imagine a meeting of rational people agreeing on it. It had to be spite. Actual, vibrant spite toward the game in general and the players in particular. "Yeah, they're all losers. Give them spank material and you can get away with whatever."

It's the real stuff that should make 'gamerz' feel mad, not having women soldiers in WW2.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The latest Alt-Right Playbook takes a look at how various right-wing groups criticize the left but not each other, points scoring in arguments, and the kind of "nihilism" that comes from the alt-right.

How this guy isn't more popular, I have no clue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A fun example has come up in the alt-right's comics organ ComicsGate. Comics are dying, right? (They're not. That's a meme.) And part of the problem is that single issues are too high along with gluts of variant covers. (Actually an issue.) And they will howl to the heavens all the live long day about said problem, particularly if it's the first issue of Zoe Quinn's new comic Goddess Mode. (Because God knows they can't leave her alone.) So how does CG figurehead Ethan Van Sciver save comics after complaining about these problems himself? Running multiple IndieGoGos for variant covers for his comic and selling 12000 issues at $25 dollars apiece. COMICS ARE SAVED, Y'ALL.

Oh, of course, in theory he's sold that many. It's several months late. A lot of the high-profile CG projects are. 'Print file issues' have been going around the books they're working on like it's the chicken pox. Any of you reading this would say something like, "What, they've never heard of DropBox or Google Documents?" and congratulations! You are officially smarter than the leading minds of ComicsGate.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

While the framing is useful to better understand how the right argues online, is he implying that "the truth" is integral to political discourse, and that liberalism for sure has it on its side? Honestly, "the truth" does seem like an extremely hard to define and malleable concept. Liberals and right-wingers I disagree with claim to know the truth all the time, so when I consider my politics I don't think in terms of absolute truth, but in terms of ideology and beliefs. I'll use empirical facts in debates if I have them, but I'm not going to claim that my politics are entirely based on them, and even if they were, I'd have to be clairvoyant to know how things would turn out in the event that the politics I believe in would become dominant.

I act based on what I believe to be right. A lot of the time that is self-serving, so I am not sure I can blame the right for taking (or not taking) politically expedient positions if it serves their goals; or rather I only blame them for it because it does not serve mine.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 26, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dude's wrong on how 4chan works. You can see the number of unique people that post in a thread, so you can't really start a fake conversation with yourself without looking like a major idiot to everyone.

Also he sets up some things that I don't really follow. Like at the end where he's talking about a twitter guy posting something and saying that he doesn't know if the guy himself believes it, but apparently knows that the guy who posted it "Believes that he believes it". How does that work?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
He believes that he believes that he believes it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1089214157700792320
Vic is totally a normal person, weird that he's from Greensburg of all places which isn't that far from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1089214157700792320
Vic is totally a normal person, weird that he's from Greensburg of all places which isn't that far from me

Wow. "Militarizing his army of teenage girls" is not something I thought I'd read today, but that's on me.