Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If there is a good deal for tires at costco I get another place in town to match them, and it has much, much better service. It’s definitely not costco’s strong suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have people done the car batteries at Costco? Do I just take mine home and install it? Will they take back the old one?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hed posted:

Have people done the car batteries at Costco? Do I just take mine home and install it? Will they take back the old one?

Last time I was there a couple dudes were swapping out their battery in the parking stall next to mine :laffo:

Don’t know if costco takes the old ones, possibly but we have a few free drop off locations for old batteries here too.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Hed posted:

Depends on state law in regards to automotive consumables. If your state has such a law, auto parts stores have to take in waste batteries and collect waste oil if the sell them, which includes big box stores.

I've taken waste batteries/oil to walmart/costco for disposal and it wasn't an issue, assuming said store had an automotive department/bays. You don't even have to take it to the same place you got it from. The worst a store is going to say is "our collection tank is full".

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Discount Tire owns.
Costco razors aren’t great.
The fresh fruit and veggies aren’t a great deal.

Pretty much everything else you should try to stock up on at Cost Company Incorporated dot com

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I like buying their avocados, they're hard and not ripe, which means they don't get manhandled by previous customers; you just wait a few days for them to soften and it's the best avocado youve ever had for the lowest price.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Have you guys tried the chicken street taco kit that seems to be available in some places? Going to Costco tomorrow and think I might pick some up.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

poisonpill posted:

Discount Tire owns.
Costco razors aren’t great.
The fresh fruit and veggies aren’t a great deal.

Pretty much everything else you should try to stock up on at Cost Company Incorporated dot com

Also Kirkland Light. Never again.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

priznat posted:

Don’t know if costco takes the old ones, possibly but we have a few free drop off locations for old batteries here too.

They gave me a credit when I brought the old battery in to recycle.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Hed posted:

wtf

why would you not take a day trip so that you can throw it into the ocean?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

wtf

why would you not take a day trip so that you can throw it into the ocean?

Why is this a meme?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I told Costco I wanted to buy a certain car and strolled into the dealership without having to haggle, this introvert worships Costco.

i did the same and still haggled. the price they offered was not good.

Winter Rose posted:

Blessed be the 'Co, for today I have purchased two memory foam pillows for $5 each.

uhh hello hi what?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 27, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

The Dregs posted:

I didn't try the hotdog, we went there straight from lunch. But the whole place looked straight out of costco. They had pizza, smoothies, everything. I didn't see anything like the chicken bakes, though. Those are the poo poo.

As for the sunflower allergy, the first time my wife handed me a vegetarian meatball and I didn't even realize it wasn't chicken or something until my mouth felt like there was a bee in it. This was a couple years ago.

Just recently she handed me a cracker with duck rilletes on it. I was slightly suspicious of the cracker, so I asked the lady what it was. She said almond crackers. Almonds are one of the few nuts I can eat. Instant bee stings again. Turns out the almond flour had lots of sunflower in it. I really wanted to try that duck, dammnit. Clouded my judgement. We ran over to the medication aisle and I downed half a bottle of Benadryl and headed to the hospital.

The moral of the story is that my wife keeps trying to loving poison me, and Costco is in on the plot.

The rilletes was awesome though. You guys ought to pick some up.

I love duck rillettes, since when costco carry duck rillettes?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Hed posted:

I've done my last couple at Costco, without issue. I just replaced the battery in the parking lot and brought the old one in for the core fee. Costco even took a failed 4-ish year old battery as warrantied failed. No complaints at all.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Bummey posted:

i did the same and still haggled. the price they offered was not good.

uhh hello hi what?

They were right at the door at my Costco in San Diego.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Costco can be a good place to buy tires outright, just don't have them installed there. It's like a giant version of the sample issue, a poo poo ton of assholes all swarming around and a bunch of wasted time.

Batteries though hell yeah Costco everytime, mostly, again, for the fact you can do the swap in the lot. If tires were that easy people would do that too.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, must be another benefit of having a Costco that usually isn't busy. I called and needed tires and got an appointment the next day and they were done in 45 minutes while I shopped.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just an FYI that at least our Costco has handles of No. 209 gin (based in San Francisco) on clearance for $24.97. This is an EXCELLENT citrusy gin and is probably the best mixing gin I have ever used in my life as well. It's usually $50 a handle. Worth a check, especially if you're in California.

e: https://theginisin.com/gin-reviews/no-209-gin/

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 27, 2019

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Schadenboner posted:

I am second to none for my love of a good sourdough but “crisp” has never really been on my list of adjectives for said good sourdough?

Like, most of the time I’ll be using a big ‘ol boule of sourdough for making cheese toasts and the attribute I’m looking for is “soft” (wrt the bread) and “crusty” (wrt the crust) not “crisp” per se?

:shrug:

E: Mods, plz rename to “I’ve got big boules”, tia...

The key is to dip the sourdough crisps in soup before eating :yum:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I was very unimpressed with the Boudin sourdough chips. Just get some good sourdough and dip that, why bring dry rear end chips into it...? I get that the dryness allows it to absorb soup, but regular sourdough does that perfectly as well, and it's just better.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I think you are supposed to put meat/cheese on those for an appetizer.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

priznat posted:

If there is a good deal for tires at costco I get another place in town to match them, and it has much, much better service. It’s definitely not costco’s strong suit.

yeah do this. It just isn't worth the time effort involved at Costco unless you live in the magical blessed wastelands of the midwest rural or inland empire town with 4 costcos in 10 miles or w/e and i's never busy. any other costco? yeah loving forget about it and honestly it's not really their fault, its just too popular and busy to accomodate the small 3-5 bay shop + thousands of shoppers and subset doing it. they could really do better with actual appointments though, like it'd be fine if you could (and had to) make an appointment 4 weeks out for like 10am, stroll in at 9:50 and be in and out almost on the dime but that's never the case.

KakerMix posted:

Batteries though hell yeah Costco everytime, mostly, again, for the fact you can do the swap in the lot. If tires were that easy people would do that too.
yeah costco batteries are legit, warranty is good, easy disposal of your old one, and I definitely do that. still can take along time just to buy the drat thing from the tire center though if there's a line (and probably is) because its often staffed by 1person only (whose also maybe doingshop things?). just bring a basic toolkit, pop out your old, bring it in, buy a new one and swap it in the lot. takes like a minute outside of the wait-time to buy it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Schadenboner posted:

Why is this a meme?

It’s fun and perfectly legal

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

:thunk:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
I found out they're doing an audit on memberships on my most recent trip to Costco.

They said, "Your account was flagged!" at the register, and it sent me into fight/flight. I mean only missed communion that one time this year.

But all they just wanted was to save me money with an executive membership :3:

PBUC

Edit: shameful grammar edit.

spacebard fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 27, 2019

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Costco tires have never seemed to be a good deal to me. Discount is way better (ignore the owners lovely politics I guess). Even Big O has decent service.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In the US with tirerack, Costco Tire Center isn't such a great deal, but it makes more sense in Canada.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tires seem a decent price, but I think the value really lies in the convenience and warranty.

Costco has amazing price on car batteries.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

spacebard posted:

I found out they're doing an audit on memberships on my most recent trip to Costco.

They said, You're account was flagged!" at the register, and it sent me into fight/flight. I mean only missed communion that one time this year.

But all they just wanted was to save me money with an executive membership :3:

PBUC

One time I had a CostCo guy literally sprint up to me at the cafe and accuse me of dining on hot dogs without a license

Like dude, your guys don't even check for the cards at the customer service/cafe entrance

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Bridgestone, Firestone, Goodyear, BF Goodrich tires are hilariously overpriced and are manufactured for soccer moms and dads who know jack poo poo about cars.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Goodyears are actually good tho?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not until you're dropping $200+ per corner.

I worked for two years at Goodyear HQ, the whole company can be summed up as "collectively resting on their laurels while thinking their own poo poo doesn't stink."

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Chinatown posted:

Bridgestone, Firestone, Goodyear, BF Goodrich tires are hilariously overpriced and are manufactured for soccer moms and dads who know jack poo poo about cars.

What is the correct answer here, tire wizard?

I run Bridgestone Blizzak for like 8 months out of the year and wouldn't imagine cheaping out.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Sumitomo, Hankook, Kumho, Toyo, etc.

Seriously, shop around. Brand names mean jack poo poo.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My last set of Hankooks lasted 75k miles, and I didn't even overdo it.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Depends on the car and how you drive it. Costco is one of the few places that carry the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 that my car runs on in the summer. The Pilot Sport 4S is also a really good tire too. My winter setup is Pilot Alpin PA4. Costco can order all of those tires for me, usually cheaper than anyone else, and definitely when they run the Michelin rebate and 1 cent per tire install.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

Chinatown posted:

Sumitomo, Hankook, Kumho, Toyo, etc.

Seriously, shop around. Brand names mean jack poo poo.

This man speaks wisdom.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Any exact recommendation on a great SVU winter tire? Looking at reviews and tests,. nothing really outperforms Blizzak.

I guess if I was just pounding dry highway miles out or going to the grocery store it would be less of a concern. I have packed snow on the roads for over half the year. Snow storm from October - May.

Edit: probably going to replace my winter tires in the fall. Just checked my tire rack order.

P265/50R-20 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V1

164.30 each.

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 27, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Blizzaks are really good tires. I'm just saying to shop around.

Also, I'm a proponent of finding your local independent tire shop. The one I go to is where all the "car enthusiast/tuners" go and its run by a bunch of real nice dudes who are into cars. And they beat Discount Tire all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Safety note when changing car batteries: use nitrile gloves and clean everything with a baking soda solution. Any liqiudy looking stuff or cakey solids probably will be unpleasant if it touches your skin.

Plus keeping the connectors clean improves battery function.