Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LonsomeSon posted:

The idea of treating the outpost/starbase for a system like an artificial planet, with a few slots for pops and then more for every mining station, was floated in the lead up to LeGuin and I would be for it if there was any evidence that the AI would be able to take advantage of it, but as it is pop-free space development seems to be the sector of the economy which AI players are rock solid on.

Of course, having such a system would open up some cool poo poo, like having Habitats be folded into the spaceborne pop UI as serious upgrades to the size and capabilities of a system's spaceborne population, and providing a very natural hook for another proposal, that megastructure construction involve small numbers of pops working in construction jobs gradually escalating as progress is made.
Yeah I've been wishing for a change in the idea/mechanic of claiming new systems and how you exploit them. Like... you can plop down a glorified flag to claim a system and once you do that you can establish a space station that tangible pops live on and work jobs in that system. It would let them abstract the micromanagement of needing construction ships to zip and build these individual extractors and instead it would add mining jobs or whatever. If you want to exploit more of the system you have to expand your main hub station to accommodate more pops.

I could go on about minutia but it doesnt really matter... its another one of these thoughts that I have no idea if it would work in reality but it sounds good to me in terms of immersion/reality.

binge crotching posted:

I think that'll probably be coming at some point, but not with this DLC release. Maybe in the next story pack?
I never saw anything about this in any Dev Diaries, what gives you that idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Maybe other empires shouldn't suggest migration treaties if their species would end up enslaved, or worse, upon arrival. Unless they don't give a crap of course. :v:

Someone is doing this to my empire right now. The only guys I have a migration treaty with are "Erudite Explorers", but somehow one of my pops ends up regularly on the slave market.

Right now I take this and other slaves I like as a boost to my xenophile empire, as I have tons of money anyway. Every new pop gets immediately auto-freed and then joins our glorious empire.

Seems like a win-win situation for both of us: They get tons of money, I get tons of pops to off-set my slow breeding trait. :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You shouldn't colonize planets, but systems. Every mineral deposit and special moon just lets you build space-mines and lunar outposts and poo poo via the standard district/building system we've got now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

You shouldn't colonize planets, but systems. Every mineral deposit and special moon just lets you build space-mines and lunar outposts and poo poo via the standard district/building system we've got now.

:agreed:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Systems with colonized planets sending out workers to neighboring resource systems and farther like how Trade Hubs extend trade collection range, with resource systems beyond habitable system range costing you extra energy for the long commute...

That's actually pretty similar to Civ, now that I think about it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I like the idea of colonizing systems instead of planets, but it would be Stellaris 3.0 because they'd have to rework an awful lot of things. Construction Ships would need to be given a lot more stuff to do pre-Megastructures, the way habitability works would need to be changed, invasions and bombardment would need to be reworked, ideally there would be a way for military ships to destroy and disrupt space-based infrastructure, etc etc.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 25, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd be OK with them getting rid of construction ships entirely, or at least abstracting them away.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd be OK with them getting rid of construction ships entirely, or at least abstracting them away.

I'd love to see them turned into an actual civilian space force with civilian ships going around building space-based infrastructure to feed back to the system hub, and trade ships ferrying trade value back and forth, etc.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a guide to event probabilities and outcomes in the Ai rebellion event chain?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aw, you stop being able to get level 3 admirals after the khan triggers. :(

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I never saw anything about this in any Dev Diaries, what gives you that idea?

Sorry, my wording was really bad. What I was trying to say is that there is no way they are making a change like that in the current 2.2 version, but maybe we'll get lucky and they'll make that change in the next release, since it should be a story pack DLC.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

with gulli's mods habitats in the tiles era were a lot like the "orbital mining stations but with pops" idea

you can't really spam them anymore though, and they aren't as good as they were before

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When Stellaris first came out they made a big deal about saying that they wanted planets to be special and not end up with every single orb in the galaxy terraformed or colonized some how. They more or less stuck to this idea, and balanced the "micro" of the game around it. Habitats fly in the face of that idea, spamming them was just as bad or worse than having some tech that let you eventually terraform every barren planet. They're less spammy now but I still think a bad idea.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
But they're an essential part of science fiction!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Tried my first game as MegaCorp in a Weekend Stellaris Club discord MP game (~24 human players on a Medium galaxy). Went F. Xenophile / Mil.

Interesting. Empire Sprawl hurts badly after a point. And there's no +Admin Cap ascension perk? I picked up Universal Transactions first so I could spam Commercial Pacts to my heart's content. Reflecting on that pick, since it makes Commercial Pacts free maybe there was no need to get F. Xenophile (though I guess +20% TV is good, since it's not "from pops"). Made my pops Ingenious/Industrious/Fleeting/Solitary which is my generic go-to pop.

Thinking something along the lines of:
Free Traders / Private Prospectors w/ Franchising as the third civic.

I liked building Research buildings on my Branch Offices, followed by Alloy buildings. Not really sure which ones are best, but getting 6x3 research for 3 energy upkeep seemed really good.

I ended up with Branch Offices on all the human player capitals, which was pretty cool (I wardec'd the other MegaCorp that was in the game who spawned right next to me and took them out).

Curious as to hear what folks have found powerful as MegaCorps.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 26, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

When Stellaris first came out they made a big deal about saying that they wanted planets to be special and not end up with every single orb in the galaxy terraformed or colonized some how. They more or less stuck to this idea, and balanced the "micro" of the game around it. Habitats fly in the face of that idea, spamming them was just as bad or worse than having some tech that let you eventually terraform every barren planet. They're less spammy now but I still think a bad idea.

it was a lot of fun to find gigantic systems and make super-dense population centers though. ecumenopoli just don't have the same feel of "now we're really becoming a space-based civilization" for all that they serve the same sort of function

i think that with some adjustments to pop growth so that more colonizable objects doesn't lead directly to more pops there would be room for the habitat playstyle without gimping them. they do require two ascension perks to actually have top-level habitats after all, that's equivalent to an ascension path - that should have a big impact on gameplay if you specialize in it, just like synths, psionics, and gene modding

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Come to the Smorgasbord of Suffering and experience the finest combination of gene tailored flavor extracted from the living flesh of wailing sentients today!

Livestock is so good. I really should try to be the good guys for a change but being evil is just so much stronger. Need that diplo update someday...

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
65 building slots!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1630154378
I have to wonder what setups of mods people are using where they have the pops to unlock that many slots let alone use them.

I keep going on the workshop and seeing some neat looking mods and think of trying them then I remember they'll just make the AI even more trivial. What I really want to see in a future patch is an all game crisis faction, some faction (or multiple) that exists from the start of the game and plays in a fundamentally different and easier to code AI for way.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

alcaras posted:

Interesting. Empire Sprawl hurts badly after a point. And there's no +Admin Cap ascension perk?I picked up Universal Transactions first so I could spam Commercial Pacts to my heart's content. Reflecting on that pick, since it makes Commercial Pacts free maybe there was no need to get F. Xenophile (though I guess +20% TV is good, since it's not "from pops").

There is a perk for cap, but you can't pick it as your first one.

As for Universal Transactions, it's essentially a wasted pick as a Fanatic Xenophile, since diplomacy+xenophile already combine to make all diplomatic agreements free.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can take the +admin cap perk as your first one I think, but it's not available to corporations as they already get a +20 bonus for free by from the start?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Does 2.2.4 fix the feudal society vassal bug?

Edit: This appears to be a fix, but who knows if it will actually work;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1341473504&searchtext=vassal

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 26, 2019

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

Poil posted:

You can take the +admin cap perk as your first one I think, but it's not available to corporations as they already get a +20 bonus for free by from the start?

Corporations can never pick it, for everyone else it’s available after their first perk

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Poil posted:

You can take the +admin cap perk as your first one I think

You cannot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just picked this up again after leaving it to develop for the ~2 years since release, but I'm having a hard time getting back into the spirit of the game. Everything still feels so sterile and impersonal, despite the addition of specializations.

Maybe it's because I just got done with Frostpunk, a game where you also make decisions to specialize your civilization, but it's got more flavor, a more immediate threat with a strong sense of urgency, and not all the numbers are visible?

Help me out here, I want to like my sci-fi for exes, but for whatever reason I can't get invested in my race of adaptive platipii?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Stellaris does rely on you doing a lot of the narrative heavy lifting; it really is a roleplaying game in that sense, rather than the more curated experience of something like Frostpunk. That being said, a lot of the DLC provide new narrative hooks that render even those of a less imaginative disposition better storycrafting opportunities. Which ones do you have?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Frostpunk is polished as heck and really nice for an "indie" game (I'd hardly call a 70 person studio indie though) but has almost no reply value. It's like a CYOA novel, once you've gotten to the ending once and flipped through and seen the other option or two you're done.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aethernet posted:

Stellaris does rely on you doing a lot of the narrative heavy lifting; it really is a roleplaying game in that sense, rather than the more curated experience of something like Frostpunk. That being said, a lot of the DLC provide new narrative hooks that render even those of a less imaginative disposition better storycrafting opportunities. Which ones do you have?

Only the horizon signal (which was probably free?), basically the base game only. I wanted to see whether the base game could grab me again before sinking money into dlc for a game that I might not enjoy.

I'll stick with the game a little longer though. Maybe the magic 'll happen once I get my state more specialized and less generic.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 26, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

alcaras posted:

Tried my first game as MegaCorp in a Weekend Stellaris Club discord MP game (~24 human players on a Medium galaxy). Went F. Xenophile / Mil.

Interesting. Empire Sprawl hurts badly after a point. And there's no +Admin Cap ascension perk? I picked up Universal Transactions first so I could spam Commercial Pacts to my heart's content. Reflecting on that pick, since it makes Commercial Pacts free maybe there was no need to get F. Xenophile (though I guess +20% TV is good, since it's not "from pops"). Made my pops Ingenious/Industrious/Fleeting/Solitary which is my generic go-to pop.

Thinking something along the lines of:
Free Traders / Private Prospectors w/ Franchising as the third civic.

I liked building Research buildings on my Branch Offices, followed by Alloy buildings. Not really sure which ones are best, but getting 6x3 research for 3 energy upkeep seemed really good.

I ended up with Branch Offices on all the human player capitals, which was pretty cool (I wardec'd the other MegaCorp that was in the game who spawned right next to me and took them out).

Cynic Jester posted:

There is a perk for cap, but you can't pick it as your first one.

As for Universal Transactions, it's essentially a wasted pick as a Fanatic Xenophile, since diplomacy+xenophile already combine to make all diplomatic agreements free.

The admin cap perk is unavailable for megacorps. I think universal transactions needs a rework, because it just isn't worth a perk ever. Even if you're not a fanatic xenophile, you're paying 0.125 per pact. For reference, the default cost per month for a 200 influence edict is (200/12/10) 1.67 (assuming rounding) per month. Breaking the pact also doesn't remove branch offices. However, you want to do f.xenophile unless you're playing a pure human player game, because not only do you get 20% trade you get bonus starting opinion and better trust growth/cap.

One big thing to remember about branch offices is that you're not restricted to capital planets, though you probably only want to invest in planets with 25 pops (for the building slot). What building is good is going to heavily depend on your current empire state. I'm rather a fan of the naval cap building, and that seems like it'd be something to really get another player on board with you. This has some nice feedback if you go for a federation later. The second building is probably best as the +branch value building, and it also gives the other player a merchant job which increases the trade value of the planet by a nice chunk (which also increases your commercial pact value a bit). You'll want an executive retreat somewhere, empire wide amenity bonuses are rare and good.

I'd also consider thrifty to be almost mandatory for a megacorp, and as always charismatic is pretty insanely good.

I'd only get franchising if you're getting a lot of subjects and need help handling them. Branch offices have a pretty small impact on empire sprawl, so that honestly is pretty weak. Being militarist I'd suggest taking the +15% naval cap option instead, which is really good.

edit: to expound slightly on why I think naval cap branch office is really good: First, it is as good as a stronghold for your host empire. This directly increases their strength, and considering that you're likely going to be together for wars it is quite helpful (especially in a MP game to ensure your buddy is keeping up on fleet sizes). 10 naval cap is more than you'd get out of a normal building slot (sans upgraded fortress), while building a research lab or alloy foundry would give you more output for that building slot than you'd get out of a branch office. So you spend an extra pop working the alloy/research job, but you get more output and more cap than building a stronghold and a research branch office.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 26, 2019

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Started a new game with 2.2.4. Shoutout to all your hard work DarkRenown, this game is fantastic, and the work you've all put in to balancing and fixing bugs is evident. I really appreciate especially the ability to demote pops within a year so I don't tank my econ.

Found a bugged model in the fleet manager: the frigate you get from repairing the automated shipyard appears as a placeholder box in the fleet manager. Appears normally elsewhere.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title

double nine posted:

I'll stick with the game a little longer though. Maybe the magic 'll happen once I get my state more specialized and less generic.

You may also want to try some mods. Things like Guilli's planet modifiers can make the base game more interesting. There's similar up on the workshop with various levels of quality.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is the L-Drake event bugged in the latest test patch? No drakes spawned for me. Very disappointing since it was my first time getting anything but the Grey Tempest.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

double nine posted:

I just picked this up again after leaving it to develop for the ~2 years since release, but I'm having a hard time getting back into the spirit of the game. Everything still feels so sterile and impersonal, despite the addition of specializations.

Maybe it's because I just got done with Frostpunk, a game where you also make decisions to specialize your civilization, but it's got more flavor, a more immediate threat with a strong sense of urgency, and not all the numbers are visible?

Help me out here, I want to like my sci-fi for exes, but for whatever reason I can't get invested in my race of adaptive platipii?

I always go into a game with a goal in mind. Like what are these Platipusses trying to do? Eat everyone? Friend everyone? Live in luxury while other races toil in the mineral mines?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

alcaras posted:

My go-to megacorp setup is:

Thrifty & Charismatic are mandatory! My gimmick build is Google Island who pray to The Algorithm but they don't gently caress and are weak because they code all day so Slow Breeders and Weak which also lets me get Communal, which is alright.

F.xenophile & Spiritualist. Gospel of the Masses and Free Traders civics for maximum trade value.

Get energy for a second scientist on a ship and then immediately switch to the unity trade policy. Expand with moderation because empire sprawl hurts more as a megacorp but if you see some juicy systems/planets/choke points just go for them. Empire sprawl is more of a suggestion than a cap and even if you hurt more from going over than other empires it's still worth it, especially if it's for a good planet or a strategically valuable system. Eventually you'll have no choice but to go over anyway but if you can time techs that give additional cap with your expansion more often than not you'll make the most out of your research and unity gains.

Your economy will be super strong, you will blaze through unity traditions and thanks to Charismatic and Communal you will have to spend less resources early on for amenities and housing which will give you a good leg up and let you snowball easier. Use your strong economy to bribe new contacts into liking you before they do dumb things like close borders or declare rivalries and set up branch offices on any planet with more than 25 pops (this will only be capitals for a major part of the early-mid game).

Fun alternative but one that is harder to make work is to take Criminal Heritage instead of Free Traders and be a subversive cult that sows crime and dissent across the galaxy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm playing as GEICO from the goon species pack and really enjoying it. I make obscene amounts of money. My navy is weak but who cares when you can just bribe everyone into liking you? My research rate is also nuts. Mid game and everything takes only 8 months instead of the 24-30 I'm used to. It's leaving everyone in the dust tech wise.

Any tips on how to build up to 1000 trade value? With being a megacorp I can't expand too much without the admin cap getting really painful, I already had to release one sector as a subsidiary.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

axeil posted:

I'm playing as GEICO from the goon species pack and really enjoying it. I make obscene amounts of money. My navy is weak but who cares when you can just bribe everyone into liking you? My research rate is also nuts. Mid game and everything takes only 8 months instead of the 24-30 I'm used to. It's leaving everyone in the dust tech wise.

Any tips on how to build up to 1000 trade value? With being a megacorp I can't expand too much without the admin cap getting really painful, I already had to release one sector as a subsidiary.

Make sure you have all the trade modifiers: f.xeno, diplo tree, free trader civic, the +20% building, and an ecumenopolis can clear 1k on its own (there is a caravaneer thing for another 10%, and your stability from millions of clerks should give you like another +20%). Even without it, grabbing habs and stacking them in your capital system (so you don't get piracy from shipping that trade around) can give you 200+ trade on each of them.

edit: navy tips: fit in the naval cap branch building where you can for +10 base cap each, and maybe consider galactic force projection (+80), and if you get into a federation you get essentially a +20% after you have the diplomacy tradition to increase your fleet value. Throw in supremacy and you should have a respectable cap to play with for when bribes no longer work.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 27, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I always go into a game with a goal in mind. Like what are these Platipusses trying to do? Eat everyone? Friend everyone? Live in luxury while other races toil in the mineral mines?

good advice, but also kind of hard to do when I'm unfamiliar with the systems. I might just do a dive into the wiki for cool thematic goals and civ designs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

axeil posted:

I'm playing as GEICO from the goon species pack and really enjoying it.

That’s my contribution!

I love those adorable space geckos.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It needs to be changed to have the "Brand Loyalty" civic instead of "Ruthless Corporation". Brand Loyalty gives +15% Unity, and the tooltip is also a Geico reference.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Martout posted:

My go-to megacorp setup is:

Thrifty & Charismatic are mandatory! My gimmick build is Google Island who pray to The Algorithm but they don't gently caress and are weak because they code all day so Slow Breeders and Weak which also lets me get Communal, which is alright.

F.xenophile & Spiritualist. Gospel of the Masses and Free Traders civics for maximum trade value.

Get energy for a second scientist on a ship and then immediately switch to the unity trade policy. Expand with moderation because empire sprawl hurts more as a megacorp but if you see some juicy systems/planets/choke points just go for them. Empire sprawl is more of a suggestion than a cap and even if you hurt more from going over than other empires it's still worth it, especially if it's for a good planet or a strategically valuable system. Eventually you'll have no choice but to go over anyway but if you can time techs that give additional cap with your expansion more often than not you'll make the most out of your research and unity gains.

Your economy will be super strong, you will blaze through unity traditions and thanks to Charismatic and Communal you will have to spend less resources early on for amenities and housing which will give you a good leg up and let you snowball easier. Use your strong economy to bribe new contacts into liking you before they do dumb things like close borders or declare rivalries and set up branch offices on any planet with more than 25 pops (this will only be capitals for a major part of the early-mid game).

Fun alternative but one that is harder to make work is to take Criminal Heritage instead of Free Traders and be a subversive cult that sows crime and dissent across the galaxy.

One thing I'd suggest considering is to start with private prospectors (+10 cap, private colony ships) instead of gospel of the masses. Later on you can reform out of private prospectors and grab gospel of the masses (either when you want to, or after you unlock your 3rd civic). This lets you colonize with energy at the start (500 energy instead of 200 food/alloy/goods) which is *huge*, and gospel of the masses doesn't really start to make a difference until more mid-game.

If you open with science ship->temple->unlock slums pop while leaving trade on wealth creation you'll be really set for early game colonies and your unity output with just the temple is solid. After you've colonized your immediate area and turned on campaigns you're probably good to switch to unity or goods (whichever you need more).

Also consider non-adaptive over slow breeders, with the income you make as a megacorp you'll be able to afford the slightly higher upkeep costs easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm unsure whether I should play a dwarf empire as a megacorp or as a democratic technocracy.