Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

veni veni veni posted:

poo poo, should I have the Shotgun by the time I fight G Tyrant ? I found the card in the demo and got it, but couldn't find it in the final game. Sucks I didn't realize it was gonna lock me in and all I have is a pistol and I keep running out of ammo before he dies. And as far as I can tell the game does not spawn emergency ammo during boss fights.

Yeah, the key card you need is in the art room which you can get to from the helicopter hallway. There is some handgun ammo scattered throughout the boss fight area beyond what you walk in with. Probably better to just go back and get the shotgun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wanderer posted:

Claire has two big advantages in the RPD over Leon, and it's down to where she has to go. Leon has to go back through the west hall to access the Records Room, and at best, unless you've made a point of going back to board it up, it'll be a Licker/zombie mosh pit by the time you get there with the right key.

I learned a little trick for that by accident, when you first get to the police station after you get the booklet from the half officer when you are running back zombies break open a door before the gate. If you can take care of the 3 zombies that come out that room has a board or maybe two boards in it for your first visit to the west hall. Its the door you hear pounding on it when you are walking past it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just beat Claire B with a S (had to retry 4 times to get it below 3 hours), and had an A rank with Leon A earlier today. Fantastic game; Claire A/Leon B & the extra modes will have to wait till after Kingdom Hearts 3.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So did I just totally miss the PC dongle? I just went ahead in the game and I'm in Claire A just after Birkin murked Mr X. I'm getting all kinds of SMG ammo right about now but haven't gotten the SMG yet.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I have not been this stressed out playing a game since ReMake came out on the GCN. Jesus Christ I hate these zombies with a passion I’ve never felt. One of them I swear took around 15-20 rounds to put down it is so infuriating.

Also any strategies for Lickers? I can sneak by them most of the time but some need to just die for either connivence or preparation for... you know...

Also went into Williams first fight with Claire and it drained all the Flame rounds I had... couldn’t believe how much punishment this fucker took.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LadyPictureShow posted:

You get a little green shield in the corner of the screen that makes you temporarily more resistant to damage/poison.

In other news, all of these 'Mr. X Gon Give It To Ya' vids coming out make me laugh.
https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/ak3f74/mr_x_has_great_audio_cues_to_let_you_know_if_hes/

Right on, thanks. One other question, do we know the logic to the yellow padlock puzzles on lockers? The one on Leon's desk is explained, haven't found ones for in the shower room etc. When googling it I just find the codes.

Cool game by the way, good ol' RE.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think they did a really good job with rewriting this in general, if nothing else everyone has kind of a lot more dignity for themselves then the original. Like Robert Kendo now has some decent pathos to himself that helps solidifies Leon's desire to avenge Raccoon city, and I like the ambiguity of only one gunshot instead of the two I expected. Annette has more priorities then running around underground being paranoid and explaining the eyeball monster to people and watching her just kinda casually dunk on Ada was great. Elliot Edwards, who apparently was the fat guy who managed to randomly gun down that helicopter in the 98 version, is now... useful at least. His death still kinda confuses me though, like did the zombies just manage to chew him in half in like a couple seconds or is Leon/Claire way stronger then they let on and he just became a casualty of tug o war?

That said I still confused as to exactly how outbreak progressed. Like Leon was told to stay away a week ago so presumably they were in crisis then, Raccoon city proper is presently completely FUBAR and probably has been for a bit but that deputy from the same county didn't seem to realize what he was dealing with. Plus that talk show from the starting bit with the trucker has a dude talk about seeing a zombie in probably some other town?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shame about Elliot, though. You see that zombie push he had? He could have taught us a very useful, good skill!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

King Vidiot posted:

So did I just totally miss the PC dongle? I just went ahead in the game and I'm in Claire A just after Birkin murked Mr X. I'm getting all kinds of SMG ammo right about now but haven't gotten the SMG yet.

In the observation room you'll find a STARS badge, and examining it will reveal it's a USB dongle

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 27, 2019

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, thanks. One other question, do we know the logic to the yellow padlock puzzles on lockers? The one on Leon's desk is explained, haven't found ones for in the shower room etc. When googling it I just find the codes.

Cool game by the way, good ol' RE.

The shower room one is on a whiteboard, the 3rd floor one is on a film roll and the sewer one is on a flyer.

Caidin posted:

That said I still confused as to exactly how outbreak progressed. Like Leon was told to stay away a week ago so presumably they were in crisis then, Raccoon city proper is presently completely FUBAR and probably has been for a bit but that deputy from the same county didn't seem to realize what he was dealing with. Plus that talk show from the starting bit with the trucker has a dude talk about seeing a zombie in probably some other town?

It kinda makes sense if you pretend the world of RE is one where the idea of zombies just didn't exist before. What else would be their frame of reference for what is happening?

Republicans fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 27, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Republicans posted:

The shower room one is on a whiteboard, the 3rd floor one is on a film roll and the sewer one is on a flyer.

It kinda makes sense if you pretend the world of RE is one where the idea of zombies just didn't exist before. What else would be their frame of reference for what is happening?

Marvin straight up calls them zombies when he's talking to Claire though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's like a solid half dozen version of re4 out at this point, right

which one is supposed to be the best overall

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Get the 'HD' Steam version currently available. Best one by far.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oxxidation posted:

there's like a solid half dozen version of re4 out at this point, right

which one is supposed to be the best overall

Steam or PS4/Xbox One.

Steam can install a texture pack.

Alternative option: Wii with wiimote aiming.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

King Vidiot posted:

Also the cutscene that introduced Mr X in the original was the best part, kind of sad it's not in this one. At least not in the A game, but I guess that's so he can surprise your rear end instead of being telegraphed. I very nearly pissed myself when I went through the helicopter hallway and the fucker just comes striding around a corner.

Do you mean the helicopter entrance? Because you can trigger him looking through camera at you if you check the cameras in the main hall after he's introduced here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Spiffster posted:

Also any strategies for Lickers? I can sneak by them most of the time but some need to just die for either connivence or preparation for... you know...

Acid rounds gently caress their whole world up.

Leon can also sneak up on them by walking slowly, then put a Magnum round in their brainpan. It usually won't finish them, but it lets you double-tap in relative peace.

In general, though, you rarely have to fight the little bastards.

Caidin posted:

There's a significant amount of ambiguity about that, which I don't think is an accident. They're setting it up to cover the rest of the outbreak in some game or another, although I was a little surprised they kept most of what ended up being the original timeline.

The attack on Birkin at his lab was carried out by HUNK and his goons on the night of the 22nd, and a mutated Birkin has counter-merked them by the morning of the 23rd, as per the videotape you can find on a dead USS guy in the sewer. The newly-mutated G-Birkin, for some reason, eats the contents of the sample case, which releases the T-Virus into the city above them via the rats in the sewer system.

If the new RE2 is still on the 29th, then the outbreak's been underway for the intervening week, which is enough time for things to have gone so spectacularly to poo poo in the city. The trucker's radio suddenly cutting out as he got near the city limits in the beginning suggests there might be a comms blackout, but since zombie reports are hitting random call-in shows and the two cops in the beginning are from the local sheriff's department, I guess we're supposed to conclude that the outbreak is starting to overflow the city limits?

The biggest plot surprise to me, though, was that Birkin got ganked in the first place because he was warming up to take the G-Virus and run to the American government with it. In the original RE2, although they hosed around for years establishing it, it was a heist by an Umbrella rival gone wrong. In the remake, it's actually closer to the ORC timeline.

Fingers crossed: it means that a theoretical remake of RE3 could follow Jill's adventures for a full nine or ten days, rather than just the two nights from the original.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One more question. Are there texts to find to help open the lockers with the combo locks? Or I am supposed to just be figuring them out?

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018
Been doing some testing on the preorder guns. From what I can gather:

Chris's gun steadies faster while standing still.
Jill's gun steadies faster while stopping after running.
Albert's gun is just all round more powerful, but terrible steadying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does steadying your gun actually make it do more damage/crit more?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

veni veni veni posted:

One more question. Are there texts to find to help open the lockers with the combo locks? Or I am supposed to just be figuring them out?

The answers can be in the environment like on whiteboards and such.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Some are puzzles (Leon's desk mates)
Some are on whiteboards
Some are on film
Some are in pamphlet codexes
Some are in notes

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm curious as to how the RPD functioned before the zombie-apocalypse when the chief is an unstable and unsubtle Paedophile-Stalin.

i know this is from crazy back as i am very far behind the thread because i've been playing but Chief Irons the complete loving psychopath is a thread favorite topic when RE2 comes up

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Chief Irons always did stand out as being a truly heinous piece of poo poo in a series where most of the villains are hammy scenery chewers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol the gore in this game is so loving gnarly. I love it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whoa whoa whoa. I just realized I never found the heart key. Is that B only?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codo27 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. I just realized I never found the heart key. Is that B only?
Only Claire can get it.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Wanderer posted:

The biggest plot surprise to me, though, was that Birkin got ganked in the first place because he was warming up to take the G-Virus and run to the American government with it. In the original RE2, although they hosed around for years establishing it, it was a heist by an Umbrella rival gone wrong. In the remake, it's actually closer to the ORC timeline.

Birkin attempting to sell the G-Virus to the U.S. Government was established years ago though? It's why the dead U.S. Special Forces you find in RE3 were in Raccoon City.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Anyone know of a good S-rank time checklist? 3.5 hours is a hell of a thing to realize I screwed up 3 hours in.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

can we get a thread title change to Resident Evil Megathread 2: Sounds like my wife!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Wanderer posted:

Acid rounds gently caress their whole world up.

Well, yes. Don't you know that they're VERY effECTive, ESPECIALLY against LIVING THIngs?!

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Could I get a quick hint for Leon B? For the life of me, I can't remember how I got back into the police station from the parking garage. I have the electrical parts and am trying to go back to the jail, but can't seem to get back down there. I tried going under the main hall statue again but you can't get back through the area you fought Birken now. Has to be somewhere on the east side of RPD but I can't find it.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

In case anyone was wondering, the exact trigger for Mr. X in 2nd Round is entering the STARS office hallway. Doesn't matter whether you've pickup up the detonator OR battery. IF you're so inclined, you can minimize your exposure to him to almost-first-run levels.

Also, having the upgraded MAG makes the William Birkin fight last less then 30 seconds, eat it you time-wasting bitch.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

borf posted:

Could I get a quick hint for Leon B? For the life of me, I can't remember how I got back into the police station from the parking garage. I have the electrical parts and am trying to go back to the jail, but can't seem to get back down there. I tried going under the main hall statue again but you can't get back through the area you fought Birken now. Has to be somewhere on the east side of RPD but I can't find it.

You want the north end of the east hallway, near the Break Room.

Horrible Taste posted:

Birkin attempting to sell the G-Virus to the U.S. Government was established years ago though? It's why the dead U.S. Special Forces you find in RE3 were in Raccoon City.

Actually, no. It's kind of a funny story, in a sad way. Let's see if I remember it.

Spoilers about William Birkin: there's a file in RE2 '98 that says, straight up, that Birkin planned to use his perfection of the G-Virus to bulldog his way into a seat on Umbrella's board of directors. He was a lifer; he had no intention of leaving. The question was why an Umbrella strike team proceeded to shoot him and steal his poo poo. It was a big plot hole, back in the day, and one of several.

The explanation we ended up getting was really hemstitched together, from "Wesker's Report II," a new file that only appeared in the N64 version of RE2, and a Japanese audio drama about Ada that was never translated.

(This appears to just be something that Shinji Mikami loves to do, since things also get "explained" like this a couple of times in the Evil Within games, like what the gently caress the Anima is supposed to be in the second one. One of the funny things about RE5, especially in the unlockable files, is just how many plot holes got hastily closed in them, all at once, explicitly and finally, because Mikami hadn't bothered to do anything about them before he left Capcom. It also doesn't help that Noboru Sugimura, who wrote RE2, dropped dead suddenly in 2005.)

Basically, when Birkin and Wesker were younger, they hosed over Umbrella's French division and stole all the credit for a big project. Ten years later, the head of Umbrella France turns out to be the one who sent HUNK's strike team to steal the G-Virus from Birkin.

So in the original, Birkin got chopped due to inter-branch warfare at Umbrella. In the remake, his funding got cut and Umbrella's making some very pointed observations about who actually owns the G-Virus, since he made it on their dime. Birkin's subsequently getting ready to cut and run to the U.S. military when the strike team jumps him.

The Special Forces strike team in Raccoon City in RE3 is, to the best of my knowledge, never actually explained. It's meant as an open question as to why they were there at all, since there are a couple of other files in the game that broadly hint that Umbrella was in bed with at least elements within the American government. It actually got picked up again in RE6, somewhat.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Mr. X got me shook. Nemesis is gonna write down some tips and blow up the safe room door in the sequel

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Also, I just got "Minimalist" in Leon 2nd, where you clear the game without ever opening the item box. It really makes you think about what you pick up and when, although I'd never want to do it on any difficulty above Assisted.

The one that's bothering me is "A Small Carbon Footprint," where you clear a scenario in 14,000 steps or less. I'm assuming that you're "meant" to do that after unlocking at least one infinite weapon.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dewgy posted:

Anyone know of a good S-rank time checklist? 3.5 hours is a hell of a thing to realize I screwed up 3 hours in.

That's part of the fun and the misery really. I think I got Claire-A (Claire herself that is) to the orphanage just now in 1h39m*. If I haven't already screwed up, I just under two hours to finish up the rest.

Outside of the first boss, I've only used the normal 5-shot pistol so far to kneecap zombies and kill only a few of them.

E: Woo, misread a number. Have 10 more minutes to get upset over later on when it's not enough time!

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 27, 2019

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just started my ClaireB run and like a few have mentioned, it really does seem like a decent bit was cut from the beginning of the B scenario. I took a little longer than most on my A-run so the beginning point for the 2nd run is basically an hour+ in to where I was in my first run. Would have been nice for the B scenario to take a different, longer route to the PD compared to the mad dash you make in A. I wouldn't have been mad at seeing more of Kendo's situation along the way.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What exactly are the A and B runs you guys are talking about? Alternate paths for each character after you beat the game?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What exactly are the A and B runs you guys are talking about? Alternate paths for each character after you beat the game?

When you first finish the game as a character, for example Claire, that's considered the A scenario. Doing that unlocks Leon B which is accessible from Story -> New Game [2nd Run].

The B scenario picks up right where the 2 first meet at the fence and has slightly different progression, at least through the RPD. You have to do it to see the true ending and unlock 4th Survivor mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

They're actually called 1st and 2nd Runs in this version, but they were A and B back in the day, and old habits die hard.