Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

They're on their 3rd keyboard revision and have pretty much solved those issues though :confused:

We all know you loving love these keyboards but they are pieces of poo poo that will break. Are you trying to convince yourself otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Declaring a long-term reliability problem “fixed” after six months is hilarious

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can see the craiglist postings now. FS: Macbook Pro. Comes from a pet-free, smoke-free, cheetos-free home.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://ifixit.org/blog/12903/flexgate/

should I let this deter me from getting a macbook pro to replace my xps 15 (work computer)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

should I let this deter me from getting a macbook pro to replace my xps 15 (work computer)

I’d be more worried about the keyboard making GBS threads the bed

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can see the craiglist postings now. FS: Macbook Pro. Comes from a pet-free, smoke-free, cheetos-free home.

I use keyboard cover from amazon with MacBook Pro 2017?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I use keyboard cover from amazon with MacBook Pro 2017?

Not known to help. Bottom line, this gen if MacBooks has a fatal flaw. I’m grabbing a 2015 in a month or so on Swappa and holding on to it till 2021 when redesigned Apple laptops pop off

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Not known to help. Bottom line, this gen if MacBooks has a fatal flaw. I’m grabbing a 2015 in a month or so on Swappa and holding on to it till 2021 when redesigned Apple laptops pop off

I was imitating (foreign) people on Macrumors

A cover would keep dust out, but the butterfly hinge is very fragile and IMO susceptible to damage even without ‘dust’ getting stuck in it

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I still have the original 2016 mbp keyboard and it only hosed up that one time. I do use compressed air on it every month or so though.

I love how loud they are.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I typed on the 2018 MBP Keyboard at the apple store and my fingers got AIDS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Hmm... It *may* be all the unprotected sex you're having. Or perhaps needle re-use. You may want a second opinion.

Also, 2018 keyboard is good.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

japtor posted:

Yeah it's not that big of a deal. Main thing to be careful about is the cables, I saw someone on Reddit or somewhere pull the whole fan cable header off the board. Antenna cable pops off easily enough, while the main power cable took a bit of force. And I think I saw some YouTuber break off some tiny capacitor but he did a full teardown.

I pulled the drives in my old 2011 and thought that was more annoying, although part of that was having no clue how I pulled the board out last time since I don't think I ever had the logic board pry tool, and couldn't find thin enough screwdrivers this time. I ended up using a paperclip and hoping it'd stay straight enough to push the board out.

Confirmed; just finished up the 32gb upgrade on the 2018 Mini. Took about 15min start to finish; not bad at all. Helps if you've ever touched the insides of a laptop before.

Tweezers would have been nice; but otherwise easy going.

edit: and drat; the performance difference is so nice; I'm running a bunch of poo poo in parallels and it's a stark and immediate difference.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

We all know you loving love these keyboards but they are pieces of poo poo that will break. Are you trying to convince yourself otherwise?

No, I have an iPad Pro and a Thinkpad for portables.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

That's weird. I thought the 2018 keyboards were the redesign with the rubbers.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I could see helping with this display flex cable issue is avoiding opening and closing the display.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

“flexgate” lol what a joke

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

If it’s a work computer, go nuts because I assume you wouldn’t be on the hook for any repair costs regardless.

If it’s a personal computer, AppleCare might be worth it. At a minimum buy it with a credit card with some extended warranty built in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
FWIW, we've got a couple dozen touchbar MacBooks in service, starting with the first models, and have had a grand total of 0 failures of any sort so far. *shrug* ymmv.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How horribly slow will a 2015 12" Macbook feel in daily use these days?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

IuniusBrutus posted:

It's completely fine for normal web/office/school use. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro and it does everything fine. Well it did until today.

Unfortunately the screen just died today. It turns on and within 30 seconds the screen goes black. I tried using external HDMI connection and that also goes too. The backlight is still on. I guess the screen or graphics driver is dead. Seems like third party repair services are around $450. Is it worth replacing this? Or should I just let it go. I don't need a laptop but I really liked my Macbook Pro. :(

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's going to be slow as gently caress even for browsing. That Macbook has a fanless Core M, those are extremely slow processors for pretty much any usage. It was horribly underpowered even in 2015. The 2014 Macbook Pro the poster before me mentioned is way faster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

It depends on what you have to compare it to.

If you're going to compare it to a recent model 13" or 15" Pro, it's going to be only be about 2/3rds as fast in single-threaded stuff.

Then in multi-threaded stuff, it'll be at worst, a little better than half as fast compared to the 13".

So if something takes a minute to run on a 2017 13" Pro, it'll take in between 1:30-1:50 on a 12" Retina, depending on the workload.

If you're comparing it to something like an Air or 2012-15 Pro, the difference won't seem as big.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I've used a Core M machine: It would frequently chug even with just a single video playing in the background. Scrolling would frequently lag. They're just too thermally limited to be useful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lambert posted:

I've used a Core M machine: It would frequently chug even with just a single video playing in the background. Scrolling would frequently lag. They're just too thermally limited to be useful.

The other reason to run the gently caress away from a 2015 Macbook 12" is that Apple is only going to replace that keyboard for 4 years after the date of sale.

They started selling those in March 2015, so the warranty could end real quick, depending on when the person originally purchased it. I wouldn't want to be stuck with that repair down the road.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

which OS?

macOS relies heavily on the GPU for things like scrolling and video decoding. you wouldn't see chugging scrolling with videos playing, but all that said, you wouldn't be doing much more than web browsing/youtube/doc editing on such a machine.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

It's completely fine for normal web/office/school use. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro and it does everything fine. Well it did until today.

Unfortunately the screen just died today. It turns on and within 30 seconds the screen goes black. I tried using external HDMI connection and that also goes too. The backlight is still on. I guess the screen or graphics driver is dead. Seems like third party repair services are around $450. Is it worth replacing this? Or should I just let it go. I don't need a laptop but I really liked my Macbook Pro. :(

It's a tough call, but I'd probably get it repaired. I've got a 13-inch 2014, and I don't think I could justify the jump for a brand new computer (or that I'd really like not having a computer at all). If nothing else, you can probably sell it for parts and get a pretty decent chunk of change. Heck, I'd even be halfway interested in the SSD if it was a 512 GB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

nitsuga posted:

It's a tough call, but I'd probably get it repaired. I've got a 13-inch 2014, and I don't think I could justify the jump for a brand new computer (or that I'd really like not having a computer at all). If nothing else, you can probably sell it for parts and get a pretty decent chunk of change. Heck, I'd even be halfway interested in the SSD if it was a 512 GB.

Let's say that machine is worth $600-650, in 100% working condition

A quick glance at eBay shows those things still going for $300+ with a busted screen or water damage.

So...can you get it fixed for < $300? If not, just sell it and put the $300 towards buying a new (used) one.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Let's say that machine is worth $600-650, in 100% working condition

A quick glance at eBay shows those things still going for $300+ with a busted screen or water damage.

So...can you get it fixed for < $300? If not, just sell it and put the $300 towards buying a new (used) one.

I would not go through the hassle of selling it and buying another copy of one. Even if it costs a bit more to repair your current one than shuffling it around, having a laptop that you know the history of is worth something too. Repair it if the price feels right, otherwise just buy a new laptop (or a newer used one).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m looking at base level 2015’s (13 inch) on Swappa and seeing good ones in the $700-$750 range. Pretty stocked about that. (It’s a backup computer to my iMac, basically light photoshop and a lot of Scrivener and iTunes for local files).

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I would not go through the hassle of selling it and buying another copy of one. Even if it costs a bit more to repair your current one than shuffling it around, having a laptop that you know the history of is worth something too. Repair it if the price feels right, otherwise just buy a new laptop (or a newer used one).

Thanks for helpful advice. I'm gonna shop around for repair. If it's <$400 then I will get it. Otherwise I'll just sell and continue using my 2011 Dell until that one poops also before buying another computer.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I replaced the backup battery in my Mac Pro 5,1 and it seems to have solved the 'no startup' issue (chime but no grey screen), but it's still taking its sweet time to boot, which is peculiar. Also when I wake the computer from sleep, its fans kick on full-blast for about 20 seconds. What could be causing this?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mister Speaker posted:

I replaced the backup battery in my Mac Pro 5,1 and it seems to have solved the 'no startup' issue (chime but no grey screen), but it's still taking its sweet time to boot, which is peculiar.

Did you specifically pick a startup disk in System Preferences? The drive should be highlighted in the prefpane, if it isn't, just select it so it is highlighted. Not picking a startup disk will make the system just poll all the devices until it finds one with a properly blessed startup disk.

quote:

Also when I wake the computer from sleep, its fans kick on full-blast for about 20 seconds. What could be causing this?

Not sure, are you sure it's the system fans and not the GPU fan?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Binary Badger posted:

Did you specifically pick a startup disk in System Preferences? The drive should be highlighted in the prefpane, if it isn't, just select it so it is highlighted. Not picking a startup disk will make the system just poll all the devices until it finds one with a properly blessed startup disk.

Hm, I didn't realize the computer needed to be pointed at the startup disk, figured it would find it and then save it for next time. I selected the disk and restarted. It seems a little faster now, once the chime sounds at least, but the chime still takes a little longer than I'd like.

quote:

Not sure, are you sure it's the system fans and not the GPU fan?

Honestly I'm not sure - you're probably right though, this didn't start happening until I installed the RX580. Thanks for your help!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you have it, run Disk Warrior to make sure you have a properly blessed System folder on your startup disk.

Otherwise, try holding down command option P-R and wait for the startup bong to go off twice, this should reset all battery backed up settings. Then reselect the Startup Disk and see if the delay still happens.

It happened to me a few times back when I had an Apple SSD (rebranded Samsung 830)and I moved it from one of the SATA bays and installed it on a Apricorn Velocity Duo card.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LionArcher posted:

I’m looking at base level 2015’s (13 inch) on Swappa and seeing good ones in the $700-$750 range. Pretty stocked about that. (It’s a backup computer to my iMac, basically light photoshop and a lot of Scrivener and iTunes for local files).
I’m assuming you want/need it portable, but if not...you’re not that far off the base Mac mini, which will get you two more cores and a chunk faster per core. And upgradable RAM!

Alternatively, the cheap iPad plus Pencil and keyboard :v:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

japtor posted:

I’m assuming you want/need it portable, but if not...you’re not that far off the base Mac mini, which will get you two more cores and a chunk faster per core. And upgradable RAM!

Alternatively, the cheap iPad plus Pencil and keyboard :v:

A good point. I have an iMac 5k with 24 gigs and two monitors attached. It’s great. But for my portable I need a good keyboard and programs that aren’t on IOS. So old laptop it is! I figure the 2015’s will get next Mac OS and at least the one after that right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hot on the heels of Flexgate.. It's SCREWGATE

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html

Article starts with mentioning iPhones but towards the middle blames slow production of the Trash Can on inability to source SCREWS.

Yep, this is where we are, doesn't really bode well for the new Mac Pro though, if it's going to be made here.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

Hot on the heels of Flexgate.. It's SCREWGATE

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html

Article starts with mentioning iPhones but towards the middle blames slow production of the Trash Can on inability to source SCREWS.

Yep, this is where we are, doesn't really bode well for the new Mac Pro though, if it's going to be made here.

Considering that I don’t think anyone has discussed where the Mac Pro would be built plus what I assume is a sour taste left over from that, safe bet that it would not be in America.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to Macrumors it's been over 600 days since the iMac was updated. Maybe they need screws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

According to Macrumors it's been over 600 days since the iMac was updated. Maybe they need screws?
Some iMacs started popping up as assembled in America too at some point in 2012-13 actually :v: