Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

JayMax posted:

Is it weird that my lichess classical rating is 400+ points higher than my blitz rating?

Nah, not by my POV.

Blitz, you gotta think faster than your hand. I think of blitz as light entertainment. Classical is where you really invest some brain power, study time, and maybe some ego too, so you play a sharper game.

snipe: so i signed up for the team on lichess as Oxo_Whitney. what next, i wonders.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
my daily rating is almost 600 higher than my blitz xD

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
http://www.fide.com/calendar/tournaments.html?view=calview&aid=11731

I absolutely want to play the Hell Chess International

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I think this is my first post in this thread and what better way to start than with a game analysis.

I'm not very good at all. Learned the rules playing my dad as a kid, picked it up again a month ago in my 30's and have been trying to take it seriously since then. I'm another victim of finding a random Ben Finegold lecture and getting back into Chess.

If there is a better way to post these so you guys can see them let me know and I will. I'll also post the Lichess link at the bottom so you can just replay it on there if its easier.

The Game
A rematch against a player 150 lichess points above me after a blunder filled draw that I think we both thought we should have won. This time I have the black pieces.

1. e4 d6
Against e4 I like to play a flexible Philidor sort of opening. I feel its fairly active and dynamic in defending and gives good counter play options if White isn't crushing you

2. d4 Nf6
3. Nc3 Nbd7
I think this is a variation from the main line but I like it because white playing e5 often leads to an early exchange of queens and I really hate that, I also find a knight on d7 really useful as black

4. Bg5 e5
White pins the knight to the queen, which really doesn't bother me at the moment I finally contest the center directly

5. d5 Be7
White takes the extra space on offer I'm not worried about it, I like c6 at some point when I'm ready to open up, for now Be7 is to clear out the back rank and renders the pin useless

6. Nf3 c6
Apparently I liked it enough to play on the next move. I'm starting to get cramped and want to push back against whites territory claims. I could have castled here but I like the flexibility of waiting when my king is under no immediate danger

7. dxc6 bxc6
That feels much better for black, white is suddenly a lot less oppressive and we're about at the end of my theory knowledge

8. Bxf6 Nxf6
As the position opens up white decides to cash in the pin and exchange a bishop for a knight? Sure why not. I retake with the knight as it keeps the defense on d6 while the knight on f6 puts pressure on e4 and is in easy reach of a potential g4 one day

9. Bc4 h6
I played this as a defense against Bc4 - Ng5 I think this is likely not the best move, probably that was O-O? But its probably not a blunder. I think I overreact to that line of attack because I lost a lot to it when I started!

10. O-O Qc7
I don't know why but I like this square for my queen and wasn't sure what else to play. It protects c6 and supports the diagonal through the center pawns, if/when things open up its a flexible position eyeing both the king and a lot of weak pieces on the file maybe its bad though?

11. Re1 O-O
Here I start to plan more, I see pressure on d5 and want to open things up to make my bishops better than his knights. I plan to keep putting pieces on it until either I can win the exchange or he causes a weakness elsewhere I feel my pieces are more harmonious than his and I should have a reasonable outcome from this

12. h3 Rd8
No idea why he did this? Something to waste time? I put the rook behind the d pawn as part of the plan to push it to d5

13. Qd2 Bb7
He pulls his queen forward, I believe spotting the threat. I think he wants to double up with a rook. Which is fine by me as his queen will have to commit before mine, I back up the C pawn and further attack d5

14. Re3? d5
He doesn't reinforce! I think this is his mistake, maybe he didn't realise my plans at all? I push d5 now I have more attackers than he does defenders

15. exd5 cxd5
16. Bxd5 Nxd5
17. Nxd5 Rxd5
We exchange. I throw the rook in before the bishop to pressure the queen

18. Qc3 Qxc3
I trade queens, I don't see an easy win here, I'm up reasonably and get to double his queenside pawns seems fine to trade down to an endgame with a material advantage and 2 unopposed bishops

19. Rxc3 Rad8
I don't really have a plan at this point, looking for a gap and taking a while, but I don't see any harm in doubling up those rooks on the open file

20. Re1 Rd1
I see Rc7 and don't like it, have a little panic and rather than play the obvious Bb4 winning a rook I go for Rd1 intending to exchange and end the bishop threat with the tempo of a check, I did note it then sets up some potential tactics with Bd6. Yeah I don't know

21. Rxd1 Rxd1+
22. Kh2 Bd6
Stops the double attack and e4 might be nice

23. Re3?? e4+
He misses, game over

24. g3? exf3
25. Rxf3?? Bxf3
White Resigns

https://lichess.org/jDqFTnS9xTuy link in case its easier to view

Any feedback on the game would be nice, its the first I've had in a while not decided by terrible blunders where any advice would just be, don't hang your queen idiot. Also nice I was on the winning side, White I think lost his mind right at the end.

Aside from the missed bishop attacking 2 rooks I think tactically the game was ok, I'd be interested in hearing positional and strategic plan ideas feedback if anyone wants to give it a go?

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 19, 2019

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Hand Knit posted:

Thanks for sharing these games. Some random thoughts.

Game 1:

For game 1, I want to leave you with the position after white's 26th move because this is probably the most important thing to look at. Review this position and ask yourself what is your plan to win. You're up a pawn and control the central space, so you should be winning. But how do you actually go about doing that? How do you consolidate your control of space in a way that lets you make progress? How do you keep your rooks active while denying your opponent the same? Where will your likely breakthroughs be? This is the sort of position where reviewing it will make you a lot better.

Thanks for the feedback, I got distracted by the goon tournament (I can't wait to finish one of those games so I can look at what the engines thought of the attack sequence being brought on my center) so I hadn't had a chance to look at this.

As for that position (trying to divorce myself from thoughts of how the game actually played out) the first thing I wanted to do was to double up on the d-file, since he can't quickly do the same because of the king sitting on f3; that makes it so that he can't do anything on that fire without me saying so. Second thing I want to do is push my A and b pawns up so he can't advance any further there, and basically freeze the position; he's got his pawns more advanced, though I have one more, so I would like to put a pause on that. After that, it's maneuvering to try to find a pawn I can force him to hold with and worst case trade off rooks to defend, best case push him off and take a pawn. Like you noted, there's a Weird pawn structure on the f-g-h files, so he's got two pawns on that side he can't defend with other pawns, f4 and h2, so those are probably my targets.

I looked at pushing up Rcc4 so I could try to bully the f4 pawn and open my e-pawn up, but he could just move Kg3 and that pawn's too defended to push, and I've got to spend a lot of moves rearranging my rooks to get them to a different attack. So I don't like that move so much. As far as defense goes, my king nestled back in that g2 area makes that structure exceedingly difficult to crack at any point, so my only conceivable threat is to the a and b pawns if he pushes those deep, which he's out of position to do... so I really can't see much else I'd want to be doing other than doubling my rooks on c or d, probably d. If I did that, again, he doesn't have much in the way of attacks, and he doesn't have a quick ability to double up his own rooks, so if I did something like ...Rcd8, in his shoes he'd want to clear one of his rooks to double up while kepeing protection on his currently vulnerable pawns at a3 and and f4? So probably something like Rb3, but that would freeze his rook in place, though it'd make that structure pretty solid. I could go long and move a rook up to the 2 row, but that'd just push Kg3 and now all three vulnerable pawns are directly defended. That's actually his likely move anyway. So if I do

...Rcd8
Rbb3 R8d5 (I forget the technical notation for that move, but moving the d8 rook up to d5)

Then I can on my next move push the pawn up a file... but he's got Rbe3 as a counterplay that, again, locks it all down. Bugger. All the things I'm doing let him get into a tighter and tighter defense. So let me back up a bit and force him into a defensive fort on the f-g-h files.

...Rcd8
Rbb3 Rd2+
Kg3

Can I come up with an attack that gets me anywhere now? He's got connected rooks but, again, no really good ideas to attack. If I brought both rooks forward to the 2-row, I could start applying more pressure to either h2 or maybe a3, but... that just lets him bring the pawn to h4 and now things are even less congenial? Well, hold on. Say I move Rd1 next and threaten to bring my back rank rook forward. What's his counterplay? Rbb2 would prevent me from that forward, but then Rg1 pushes the king in to Kh3 to keep that pawn defended, I bring up R8d1 and I think no matter what he has to trade. So I gotta keep looking for something that doesn't just trade down a rook or at least unhinges his defense while doing so. So rewind to that Kg3 white move. I still like moving my rook to the back file, but I can't see any way he can't hold me to just trading down a rook and lurching closer to the same pawn endgame I was heading for with my play before the ultrablunder. Sorry for rambling, I've been glaring at this board and trying to ignore the temptation to let an engine tell me what I should be doing for a half hour. :v:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jan: things do not look....

*intense sound of Peter Svilder pouring a glass of water*

Jan:... great.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just encountered an opening, that has a name but has no entries in Lichess' Master database. It was even a correspondence game.
https://lichess.org/m5stf4sc

I suppose my question for the thread is why the Mosquito Gambit gets a name but stuff like Stonewall or Hedgehog don't get database recognition.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I'm guessing that it's because Stonewall and Hedgehog are more formations than a specific set of opening moves, at least according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog_(chess)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Attack

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The hedgehog is absolutely a system that can be played in various openings, but I'm surprised that the Stonewall Dutch isn't recognized.

e: Also, we had a rare one today. K+N+N mate: https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/catalan-league-2019/1/1/2

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 20, 2019

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

They just have a big list of positions and corresponding names, and your game is categorized by the last position that has a matching name. The list is a little idiosyncratic but it does recognize some positions as Dutch Stonewalls, e.g. 1. d4 f5 2. c4 Nf6 3. g3 e6 4. Bg2 Be7 5. Nf3 O-O 6. O-O d5

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Game continued 39. Bxf6! Rxf6 40. Rxh7+ and resigns.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

An 1800 Elo level correspondence game with 2 days time per move:
https://lichess.org/GEpL1b2Dufdm

The sad thing is that I notice that laziness in my own moves, too. I get in the habit of making my correspondence moves regularly, and then end up making a move while tired/drunk/hungover or something. And then I resign, because defending an strongly inferior position for several days just feels annoying. Even if I should be ready to hope for my opponent to make a similar blunder.
Maybe the people who want to play on even after blundering a queen in a the opening of a correspondence game are the truest chess players.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eHT-xU2Zts

Finegold putting my country extremely on blast in this video lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

algebra testes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eHT-xU2Zts

Finegold putting my country extremely on blast in this video lmao

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
just played my 100th game this year so far, and broke back above 700 in blitz (lol i know) success!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Found another fun one:

Hanken - Adams World Open '96

black to move

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

dee eight posted:

Found another fun one:

Hanken - Adams World Open '96

black to move

I feel like Qb6 is right but I can't quite finish. N(f)h3 next?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like Qb6 is right but I can't quite finish. N(f)h3 next?

I was thinking Nfxh3+, forcing the bishop to take...but I don’t know what’s next

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

the key is a N check, but not on the first move.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

dee eight posted:

Found another fun one:

I think I've seen this, or at least a position almost exactly like it, on Youtube.

Point of the position is that white has very few good moves after Bc5? F. ex. Bc5 Qxc5 Nf3+ Kh1 Nd3

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Hob_Gadling posted:

I think I've seen this, or at least a position almost exactly like it, on Youtube.

Point of the position is that white has very few good moves after Bc5? F. ex. Bc5 Qxc5 Nf3+ Kh1 Nd3

bingo. It's a move the guard and then assault the guard position.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that feeling when your opponent is behind on time by over a minute, down to their last seconds, and you manage to checkmate them before they can lose on time. another reason i'm enjoying chess more than go: completely crushing someone is actually fun instead of tiring

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

derp posted:

that feeling when your opponent is behind on time by over a minute, down to their last seconds, and you manage to checkmate them before they can lose on time. another reason i'm enjoying chess more than go: completely crushing someone is actually fun instead of tiring

So a few years back, I'm visiting home and go back to the club I used to go to. It's a university club so there's a lot of turnover, but there's enough of us that are total degenerates that there's also a steady, continuous core. There's this one guy who has started showing up. Been around long enough to imagine himself a regular, but new enough to have no idea who I am, about 1500 in strength but thinks he's hot poo poo. Like getting visibly angry over losing games 'thinks he's hot poo poo', and I had heard enough stories to recognize who he was even if he didn't recognize me. He asks for a game and sits down with a lot of swagger; I guess he figured he was going to show this new guy how it was done.

The first few games we play I play him the way I always play a 1500 — just make solid moves quickly and let them think. Let them burn their own clock and make mistakes, of course, but it's also usually considered the social thing to do. They get to actually play an equal enough game instead of trying to defend a miserable position from move 10, that kind of idea. What happens fairly often is what happened in the first few games, which is that the 1500 player just runs out of time while I've got 2-3 minutes on the clock. But my opponent thought he was hot poo poo, and he thought that I was a nobody who he was going to dominate. He had started by really showing off and singing Lady Gaga while moving, but by the third game he was starting to get red in the face. He wasn't just mad that he was flagging every game, but he couldn't understand why he wasn't winning. I was some nobody he was better than, making boring-looking moves, so his wins must be there and he was just missing them.

As we kept playing, the singing gradually stopped and he started muttering. Eventually he was just talking about how bad I was, and how I was just getting lucky that he wasn't converting these positions. He started doing that bad-player thing where he would openly talk about the theory behind his moves (especially opening moves) as if to prove that he had read books. An authoritative figure had said these were good moves, so his position must be better, not that someone like me would understand. So he's being rude as hell but we're humouring him because it seems that everyone other than him is in on the joke. My friend is sitting next to him, stifling his laughter, and giving the occasional prod. But eventually it starts to grate. I mean, irrespective of circumstance, you can only take someone calling you an idiot to your face for so long. Somewhere around the 12th or so I decide to actually push the game, and I mate him pretty quickly. I'm up material, his king is a disaster, the game probably concluded in the 20-somethingth move so there was a lot of time on both clocks. He's steaming, his jaw visibly clenched. I decide to get up and find something better to do, but not without the last word.

"Ah, well. At least you didn't flag."

I never saw him again.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh man that sounds so satisfying. my motivation to get good is increasing xD

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

There was a shocker yesterday, but one to keep in mind if you ever feel bad about not understanding a position:

Sam Shankland resigned an elementary draw.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
If it's elementary draw, shouldn't the machine show 0 advantage?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I think it is far from elementary.

My father watched the live stuff, and the commentators analyzed a nice drawing attempt for quite a long time.
When I checked with the computer, it was a tablebase loss.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

At first I was like yeah definite draw but Bc5 followed up with Kg4 wins the knight and saves the pawns as far as I can tell and then it gets tricky but black seems to have no good options. I still feel like it ends in stalemate but I'm also a very bad player so

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 28, 2019

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

regulargonzalez posted:

At first I was like yeah definite draw but Bc5 followed up with Kg4 wins the knight and saves the pawns as far as I can tell and then it gets tricky but black seems to have no good options. I still feel like it ends in stalemate but I'm also a very bad player so

Once Black gets his king to b8, being down a piece doesn't matter. The white Bishop is on the wrong colour to help take the b7 pawn. Black will just move Kb8-a8-b8 ad infinitum.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Carbolic posted:

Once Black gets his king to b8, being down a piece doesn't matter. The white Bishop is on the wrong colour to help take the b7 pawn. Black will just move Kb8-a8-b8 ad infinitum.

I don't see how black gets to b8 though, e.g.

Kc6
Kg4 Kd7
Kxh3 Kc8
Bf4 and the black king is stopped

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

silvergoose posted:

Kc6
Kg4 Kd7
Kxh3 Kc8

Fair enough. On further review, can't the Black king just shuttle between c8 and d7?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carbolic posted:

Fair enough. On further review, can't the Black king just shuttle between c8 and d7?

It’s this. Once black gets the king to d7, white can’t win the b7-pawn. And since he can play Kd6 immediately, there isn’t even any technique to be demonstrated.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Kc6
Kg4 Kd7
Kxh3 Kc8
Yes, that was the line the commentators and presumably Shankland focused on.
Kc6 in this position is losing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kramnik retired.

Rip to that goon who was a massive Kramnik fan.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

One time I rode an elevator with him. It was really funny. He just kinda stood in the middle and everyone else pressed against the sides of the elevator, like if they got too close to him they'd explode.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I watched a bit of the current lichess bot tournament.
Truly those machines are beyond our puny human understanding.
https://lichess.org/DdeyDlrp/black

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what the hell was going on there?? trying to get enough time built up to think, i guess?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

derp posted:

what the hell was going on there?? trying to get enough time built up to think, i guess?

White can't stop black from promoting so the trash engine treats all the lines as equivalent.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

One time I rode an elevator with him. It was really funny. He just kinda stood in the middle and everyone else pressed against the sides of the elevator, like if they got too close to him they'd explode.

I have heard that he is a tall man. A man of tremendous height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Feels good to be playing Blitz again

Only registered members can see post attachments!