Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

value-brand cereal posted:

Let's go WEST young friends! And let me be the first to say: 'what could possibly go wrong?'

simplefish posted:

Go West, in the open air

The group begins to meander west. The heat makes the walk an intolerable trudge.

"Vihrau looks terrible, guys." says Eemot. "We need to find some water, or something."

"I keep thinking I see water over the horizon!" exclaims Amonolee. "But nothing!"

"A mirage." mutters Eye Guy. "People see all sorts of things out in the Blasted Lands. Water, cities, flashes of light on the horizon--"

You see a light flashing on the horizon.

"So that's an illusion, probably." you say, pointing to the flashing light. It seemed to blink in a strange, irregular pattern.

"If it is, I see it too." says Eye Guy.

"Me too." says Amonolee.

"Yup." confirms Eemot.

Swvrma nods.

"I don't think we have anything more interesting to follow." you say.

Your walking continues as the bare stony earth of the Blasted Lands give way to the rough scrub-land of the Beaten Lands.

"Let's stop here for a bit," says Eemot. She sets Vihrau down on the stony earth. and sits down to rest.

Eye Guy hmms. "It's stopped flashing. It's holding steady."

"Maybe it noticed us." you say.

After another horrible long spell of walking, something begins to come into view. There's a visible treeline in the distance. More walking reveals the glint to belong to a structure some eight meters high.

It looks like some kind of tower built of scrap wood and leather, with a large lens pointing out of the front that the sun was glinting off of. The lens seemed to be fixed on your small group of travelers.

1.) Shout something at the tower.
2.) Go investigate the tower.
3.) Well that's useless. Let's keep looking for water or power.
4.) Let's just assume player input is welcome at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

>Semaphore

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Tunicate posted:

>Semaphore

Seconded. But naturally our version of semaphoring is interpretive dancing, or something.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm on board with that. We can also walk in a zigzag and see if the telescope follows us

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I can't remember, do we still have the moistbread? I really hate to give it up, but it might help Vihrau.

(I love this so much :swoon:)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

vortmax posted:

I can't remember, do we still have the moistbread? I really hate to give it up, but it might help Vihrau.

(I love this so much :swoon:)

At this point, you're sure any water you found would have to be trickled onto Vihrau's lips and tongue. She's fully out of it, and there's no way you could think of to make her chew without possibly choking. You absolutely pat yourself on the back for your hypothetical generosity, however.

Tunicate posted:

>Semaphore

Seconded. But naturally our version of semaphoring is interpretive dancing, or something.

simplefish posted:

I'm on board with that. We can also walk in a zigzag and see if the telescope follows us

You zig to the side a bit. The lens follows you.

You zag to the other side. The lens follows you.

You grapevine across the ground. The lens follows you.

You dance a little bit, and the lens simply watches.

Getting into it, you pull out your whistlehorn and start accompanying your own jaunty dance.

You decide to play "The Ballad of Dolon & Wort" as a splendid little reel, and kick your feet high making puffs of dust as you stomp. Eye Guy claps merrily along. The rest are sort of glaring, waiting for you to stop.

"What in the Three Lesiums are you doing?" says a tinny, vibraty voice. A little horn has protruded from the tower, and reproachful words pour out. "This is all very irritating."

"Oh, hello" you say. "I was just trying to get in touch with you, in my own special way."

"Please don't. I'm busy."

"Who are you? And what makes you busy?" asks Eye Guy.

"I am Jored'l'm the Watcher of This Plain. And I am busy watching this plain."

"Is there a village nearby?" asks Amonolee, hopefully.

"There's many villages nearby. They pay me to watch for them, to alert them to intruders. That is why I am the Watcher of This Plain, and not just a lonely creep with a farviewer."

"From our perspective, friend, you are both." you say, generously. The voice does not answer, but you can hear irritable muttering through the horn.

"Please ignore my fellow traveler, he's the worst. Could you direct us to a village where we might find water, power, rest, or medical treatment?" Amonolee continues.

"I could help these two, but I don't think they'd appreciate me sending a bunch of Outskies their way." says the voice from the tower.

"Outskies?" you ask.

"I think that must be their pejorative term for people from the other reality." Eye Guy responds.

"We're called iO Shiamara, and we don't mean you any harm! We're trying to save your world from the Constructors!" cries out Amonolee, desperately.

"Yeaaah, that's great and everything," responds Jored'l'm, "but I don't make the prejudices around here. It's just something in the water, I guess."

Vihrau coughs and spasms. "water" barely ekes out from between her cracked lips before her head lolls back to its previous unconscious dangle.

"Come on, dude, look at this woman. She's got no arm, she's got less blood than she needs, and she's probably got something nasty in her bloodstream. So just warn a village we're coming, and tell us which way to go. Please." you say pleadingly.

"Maybe there's something you can do for me, to tip the scales in your favor."

1.) Yes, anything! Anything at all! Just help us!
2.) We don't have time for that. Will you take inventory item to help us?
3.) Forget this, let's just take our chances walking. These villages can't be far off.
4.) Absolutely not! We'll just break in and use your farviewer ourselves!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like imagebreeder just updated their site

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Looks like imagebreeder just updated their site

Yeah, it's taking me a second to get used to it. I had to make an account!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Managed to dig up the intro screen intro screen for this RPG. Sorry for low quality, using my camera phone.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 27, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

1) offer to suck his dick. Just make them so uncomfortable that they fob us off onto the village.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
4) We just took out a construct! Do you think you stand a chance, creepy guy? (He doesn't know that we can't actually do that again...)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

The weird thing is, you feel like you know what this is. It's a tool. It definitely reads something, and that something that it reads is through the roof, but you can't...

You can't remember the name of it. You think it started with a W. Why is so much so unclear?

Let's give the watcher this splendid... mechanism... because
a) we can't use it anyway, and
b) the watcher already possesses various gizmos and would likely appreciate a new scanning device.

Incidentally, I'm thrilled that Raggart loved our merry tune.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

"Can we send the sick one ahead with our friend Eye-Guy here, and the rest of us stay to help us with your task?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I decided to go in order of the suggestions, chronologically. Seemed like it could have some interesting outcomes. Also, I promise later entries will be more image-heavy!

1) offer to suck his dick. Just make them so uncomfortable that they fob us off onto the village.

"I know what you're getting at. Alright, gang, just hold the fort while I go sort this guy out."

"Hold on." says Jored'l'm through his speaking horn.

"Do you have any water in there, Jor? I've got a real dry mouth. Just looking out for your comfort."

"Hey!" snaps Jored'l'm. "I've been out here in this tower alone a long damned time, so be careful what you offer me, I might just take it. But I assure you, we are in no way compatible."

"If you got something for me to suck," you say, "I suck it. That easy."

"Well I don't, and I-- I wouldn't." says the voice, with a hint of self-convincing.

"I offered!" you shout at the tower.

"Let's just bust the door down and go in there!" says Eye Guy, pissed off.

"Is there even a door?" asks Amonolee.

"I can hear you guys!" shrieks Jored'l'm. "Don't you dare try to get in here!"

vortmax posted:

4) We just took out a construct! Do you think you stand a chance, creepy guy? (He doesn't know that we can't actually do that again...)

"You don't wanna get on our bad side, man!" you shout. "We took out a Construct less than an hour ago, and it made us mighty ornery!"

"That was you guys?" says the unsure voice from the tower. "No, no, that's beastbeest-poo poo. No way you rubblehunters did that!"

"You wanna try us?" sneers Eye Guy.

"You wanna try my aim?" says Jored'l'm.

"Aim?" you say to Eye Guy. "I don't see a weapon."

"Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it's not there," he responds.

"Yeah, the great equalizer!" cackles Jored'l'm.

"Oh wow!" shouts Amonolee. "All it took for you to equal us was to be in a tall, armored tower with a gun trained on us! Big man!"

"Okay, maybe don't taunt him right now--"

"I bet you don't even have a gun, you desert-squatting eunuch!" Amonolee looked pleased with herself. "If he had a gun he'd have--"

The dirt at Amonolee's feet explodes into dust and rocks as she leaps back, screaming.

"Okay! Okay! You've got a gun! Let's just--" you begin rustling through your bag. "Eye Guy, you got anything for this guy?"

"Why don't you just do the task I wanted you to do?!" complains Jored'l'm.

"We don't have time!" you shout.

"But you have time for this?"

You and Eye Guy both shout "Shut up!" in unison.

Tree Bucket posted:

Let's give the watcher this splendid... mechanism... because
a) we can't use it anyway, and
b) the watcher already possesses various gizmos and would likely appreciate a new scanning device.

"Wait, what about this?" You hold up an object you don't quite remember.

"Is that a weïrdometer?" asks Amonolee, surprised. "What do you have one of those for?"

"I don't know," you answer. "I don't know what it does."

"That's ultrinking from our world. You shouldn't have it."

"Maybe I was working with people like you." you respond.

She narrows her eyes. "I suppose. But you're not people like us."

"What does it do?" says Eye Guy, impatiently.

"It was going insane back in the Construct." you say.

"Naturally it would. A weïrdometer detects warpings in the conventional grid of a reality's plane, allowing one to discern where punctures are being made or attempted. Kind of a Construct detector, but its sensitivity can be used to find smaller-level events. Such as a minor incursion, or the recent use of a Digress device."

It looked like the lens of the farviewer was about to fall out of the tower, it was so zoomed-in on the object.

"A weïrdometer! that would be just the thing to install into my detection grid!" says the gleeful voice of Jored'l'm.

"Does this seem like the sort of thing we need?" you ask.

Amonolee whistles. "Quite a thing to just give away."

"I won't take anything else!" says the voice from the tower, angrily. "I demand that weïrdometer, or I won't let you pass at all!"

simplefish posted:

"Can we send the sick one ahead with our friend Eye-Guy here, and the rest of us stay to help us with your task?"

"Nobody goes anywhere until I get that weïrdometer!"

1.) Give him the weïrdometer.
2.) Attack the tower as best you can.
3.) Run away, trying to make bad targets.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 27, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
2-ish. If he was willing to talk, he's not going to shoot to kill immediately. If he actually has any weapons at all that is. Let's try to get closer, and see how he reacts.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Nobody wetter way a winger on my wïerdo-thinger

Pretend we'll give him it
When he opens the door to take it, throw it to him
When he uses both hands to catch it, tackle him with Eyeguy

Oh and stop having conversations about our stuff in earshot of this Jorts guy!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

simplefish posted:

gently caress yeah THIS!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

simplefish posted:

:emptyquote:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
As we journey into realms beyond imagination, the one enduring constant remains our ability to say things that make everyone else feel all icky.

So: I suspect a Watcher would have some kind of dead man's switch set up in case of ambushes. As much as I want to see Jorts guy beaten up, I wonder if we should just give him the weirdometer, rather than risk all the plains people thinking we've come to steal their stuff. (Even if we have.)

Anyway, the weirdometer has a certain lamprey look to it. It seems pretty organic, even by this universes' somewhat elastic standards. I live in hope that it thinks of us as its owner, and will attempt to eat the face off of anyone else that attempts to use it.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 28, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Don't let me interrupt the narrative in any way, but just I'm quite fond of this thing I made.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Paladinus posted:

2-ish. If he was willing to talk, he's not going to shoot to kill immediately. If he actually has any weapons at all that is. Let's try to get closer, and see how he reacts.

simplefish posted:

"Alright, Jorts." you say. "You've got it. I'll give you the weïrdometer if you show us where to get help, and promise us we'll make it there safely!"

"Good! Come around this side. One of you! No funny business!" Jored'l'm snaps.

You gesture to Eye Guy. Both of you walk towards the tower.

"I said one of you!" screeched the voice hysterically.

There was another burst of dust and rocks from the ground at your feet. Something struck you, besides an errant pebble: you hadn't heard a shot.

"This guy doesn't have a gun, he's tricking us somehow." you say. "Throwing rocks or something."

You and Eye Guy go opposite ways around to the far side of the tower. The whole time, Jored'l'm is screaming angrily.

There's a rusty metal door with a sliding panel two-thirds of the way up it. The panel scrapes open a crack.

"I said one of you!" growled Jored'l'm through the crack. "One! I should shoot you!"

"I've got the device for you, do you want it or not?"

"Give it to me!"

"It won't fit through that." you say.

The small panel scrapes all the way open. "Give it to me!"

"Oh dear," says Eye Guy.

"Oh dear indeed, my friend." you say. "Looks like it won't fit through that either."

"What? Nonsense. I saw it, it'll fit just fine. Make it diagonal." Jored'l'm sounded impatient.

"I'm trying!" you say.

"You are NOT trying!" screeches Jored'l'm. "I see the hatch, you are NOT trying! Here, put it in my hands!"

You see a pair of weird pinky-purple hands appear in the hatchway. Thinking quick, you grab at them, and manage to hold one hand fast before it could be pulled away. There was a loud protesting scream from the other side of the door as you pulled the Watcher's arm hand-over-hand through the small square hole. At last, his shoulder is twisted and banged up against the door.

"Well, now what do we do?" You ask Eye Guy.

"I've an idea. Let's show him what our dear friend Vihrau over there is going through while he toys about with us."

"What? You don't mean... fine! Fine! I'm unlocking the door! The door is unlocked, just please don't cut my arm off!"

You hear the click of a lock and, once you release Jored'l'm's arm, the door swings open easily.

Inside is a tight little space, a room the same circumference as the tower. Jored'l'm sat in the middle.

"What the Squiv are you?" you exclaim, without thinking.

He sighs. "I'm a Doraldnki. I'm not from your reality."

"I thought you said the locals didn't take kindly to "Outskies" as you call them." said Eye Guy.

"Why do you think I'm in a tower doing business by horn?" Jored'l'm grumbled. "I came here as a refugee from another reality the Constructors gobbled up. Fat lot of good that did me. I get my rear end kicked any town I go into. So here I am, the most popular guy this part of the Beaten Lands, because I'm hidden in a tower creeping on everybody from afar. Weird how life is, isn't it?" He pauses. "You really hurt my arm, by the way."

The strange, fat little goblin man was surrounded with weird little gizmos. He had a spring-loaded rock shooter, a farviewer, a listening device, and a speaking tube. A couple of pedals were on the ground in front of where he sat. Several small screens and switches sprinkled a plywood board.

"Feel free to use the farviewer to find something to your liking." says the Watcher as if you hadn't just broken in. "There's a dozen or so small conurbations, places of interest, and Constructs I have marked on my map but--" he pointed a long gum-colored finger to three spots closest to the big X in the middle. "--these three will be the closest to where we are now. Each more than half an hour's hoof. Think your friend can make that?"

You peer through the eyepiece of the farviewer, and locate each of the three coordinates on the map.

"The first is an Ogrithek Heap." says the Jored'l'm.

"Heap?" you ask.

"Heap." He repeats. "The Ogrithek are less wary of Outskies, but only because they're equally wary of anyone. I've seen people deal with them, but then again I've also seen them kill everyone in a neighboring hamlet a time or two."

"That's a Drejj encampment. They're interesting, those ones. Always building, always trading. Busy little fingers, and they never stop singing work songs. I can hear 'em from here. Shut up with that crap already! Ha ha, no it's fine, if you're in the mood." Jored'l'm cleared his throats loudly.

"Now them, I don't know too much about. Keep to themselves a lot of the time. I see them wander around sometimes, tend some fields and milk their whoreswine. They chant, it's kind of pretty, but also mighty creepy at night. Makes my pulse-veins race. Anyhow, them's the three closest, you can look at some more if you like or--"

"Shut up, Jorts." you say. "What do you think, Eye Guy?" You saw that Amonolee was also standing impatiently at the door. "Oh, and you too I guess. Where are we going?"

1.) The Ogrithek Heap.
2.) The Drejj Encampment
3.) The Mystery Cloister
4.) These are our best options? Keep looking!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

3 :iiam:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Drejj

But we should make up with Jorts. We may be quick to anger but we're swift to forgive. We were just worried about our pal kind of dying on us. He'll understand.

We'll yet make friends. Wherever the thread votes we go, maybe ask him if he wants us to bring him back anything from there? He can't get out much, I'm sure.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

simplefish posted:

Drejj

But we should make up with Jorts. We may be quick to anger but we're swift to forgive. We were just worried about our pal kind of dying on us. He'll understand.

We'll yet make friends. Wherever the thread votes we go, maybe ask him if he wants us to bring him back anything from there? He can't get out much, I'm sure.

This but 3

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

simplefish posted:

Drejj

I must confess a certain sense of kinship with the feeble pasty shut-in dude who watches everything via tech, without ever leaving his room. Maybe we could help him deliver a printer or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Drejj

new friend from school posted:

simplefish posted:

Drejj

This but 3

Tree Bucket posted:

I must confess a certain sense of kinship with the feeble pasty shut-in dude who watches everything via tech, without ever leaving his room. Maybe we could help him deliver a printer or something.

"I vote for the mysterious cloister." Amonolee offers. If it's a religious order--and the chanting thing makes it seem like it is--then they probably have at least some medical knowledge. Maybe they'd be able to help Vihrau."

"Makes sense." agrees Eye Guy.

"Then it's settled. We head Southwest from here." you say.

"Can I have my payment?" asks Jored'l'm. You stare at him.

"Your what, now?"

He pouts. "The weïrdometer! You promised!"

"What? Dude, why do you think we broke in here if not to avoid giving you the weïrdometer?"

Jored'l'm crosses his arms and looks grouchy. "You guys are assholes."

You sigh. "Look, Jorts. I know it's gotta suck for you out in the Beaten Lands like this, in a hot little tower all alone. That's not great. And truth be told, I've been acting on a lot of stress. I'm dealing with a lot of personal problems right now, things with the mind, you know? And my new friend, I just had to cut her arm off not too long ago and I really don't know if she's going to make it. So yes, I've taken that out on you. And you don't necessarily deserve it."

Jored'l'm looks shocked, and blinks. "Uh... thank you... so--"

"--so I'm going to offer you, by way of recompense, that we get something for you where we're going. Send it your way, special delivery. Huh? How's that sound, buddy?" You slap his shoulder jovially. "Does that sound nice? Maybe some food, or some of that whoreswine milk you were talking about? Hey! I bet they make cheese out of it! Do you like cheese?"

Jored'l'm seems to have calmed his ire a bit. "Sure. That sounds great. Anything you can do, I'll appreciate."

"That's what I like to hear!" you say. "That's my Dinky Donald!"

"It's Doraldnki."

"Okay, bye!" you say. "Away, gang!"

"Stop calling us 'gang'," snaps Amonolee.

You gather up and head off to the Southwest. The sun is going down.

Thankfully, the walk goes off without a hitch. Eemot is complaining about her back by the time you reach viewing distance of the cloister.

The worn stone edifice stands in partial ruins among the overgrown trees and vines. Small wooden structures have been built around the cleared grounds, and the stone edifice has also been added onto with rubble stone and scrap wood.

You come upon a small, roughly-hewn animal pen. Inside, a whoreswine labors to breathe through its flaps.

"Ugh, I hate these things" mutters Eye Guy, covering his nose so he can't smell its fecal odor.

"Good cheese, though."

Someone in a hooded black cloak comes out of one of the wooden structures and approaches the whoreswine, bucket in hand. He stops when he sees you.

"Oh uh hi there" says the man. "Can I help you?"

"Hello, we are beleaguered travellers--did I use that word right, beleaguered? We're in a bad way, we could use some rest, refreshment, and medical treatment for our friend here."

The cloaked man smiles warmly. "Well, you came to the right place, then!" he says. "I'm Brother Domp, and this is the Brotherhood of What's Left. If you go in through that door there--" he points "--then they'll set you up with some pottage and--if you're willing to wait--some fresh whoreswine's milk! And if you want to take your friend through that door there--" he points "--Brother Redubbling will be able to fix her up right as rain."

"Is he very good?" asks Amonolee, worried.

"Well, don't expect she'll have her arm back or anythin' like!" he guffaws, amused at his own joke.

When his laughter dies down enough for him to continue, he says "Well, I've got a whoreswine to squeeze milk out of, so you go ahead!"

Eye Guy looks pleased. "I'm utterly famished. I think I'll get some of that pottage before they poo poo it up with milk."

"Eemot and I are going to stay with Vihrau, make sure things are okay with her." says Amonolee.

Swvrma is like "WeLL i'M GeTTiNG LuNCH."

1.) Get lunch with Eye Guy and Swvrma.
2.) Go with Vihrau to Brother Redubbling.
3.) Go exploring.
4.) Find who is in charge.
5.) Something else.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 29, 2019

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Enough of these other folks, they’ve been nothing but trouble. Let’s check on the baby, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

new friend from school posted:

Enough of these other folks, they’ve been nothing but trouble. Let’s check on the baby, too.

You go through a door into a larger space. What looks like a complex of vaulted rooms were now ruined and collapsed in places, with moss and weeds growing in the cracks. Nobody else is in the room.

"Hello?" you venture. It echoes: Hello? hlo? o?

Someone comes scurrying in from a crumbling archway. "Oh! I'm sorry, Brother Abbsind was supposed to be here, but he seems to not be present at the moment. I'm Brother Manglerod, and I trust you are travelers looking to partake of our hospitality?"

"Oh yes, I think so." says Eye Guy. "Some of that pottage sounds mighty good right about now."

"If you wait a moment, Brother Domp will have some fresh, creamy whoreswine milk! I can hear him now!"

There's a series of loud noises ranging from the tortured through the sexually explicit coming from outside. Squishing and flapping sounds join the chorus as well.

"I think pottage alone will do me for right now, thanks." says Eye Guy, his queasiness showing on his face.

You each grab a cup of lukewarm water from the cistern. There's no furnishings so you sit on the floor. Brother Manglerod hands you a bowl.

"Since we haven't had much in the way of guests lately, I decided to do something special and scrape up some of the little savories we've been saving in the larder... you know, just to dress up your meals a bit!"

"Thanks. So, uh, what's what in here, then?" you ask, indicating the various bobbing, moist-looking hunks.

"Uhhh..." Brother Manglerod bends over and inspects the bowl. "Well, there's twice-fried skin in there, I know that."

"Skin of what?"

"I'm sure you'll figure it out and find it all to your liking!" beams Brother Manglerod. "Is there anything else I can fetch you?"

"Well, actually, I was curious what sort of monastery this is. Are you RSV?" asks Eye Guy.

"Ah, that's interesting. Well, once this whole area used to be a big Vuldonic temple grounds centered on this lovely edifice here: the Church of the Father of Too Many Pikes. Not quite a cathedral, but definitely one of the bigger ones. Lots of miracles I've heard, but that was before my time. Well, the Incursions happened, and wouldn't you know it--like 90% of the grounds is gone! Huge gardens, tons of statues, and most of the fields that kept us fed. Also all the villages, naturally. So we sort of decided mutually that we'd been worshipping the wrong gods! Vuldon did balls-all while the Constructors popped into His universe and nicked his crap. But the Constructors left us this 10%! Just enough land to grow our small garden, not poisonous enough to kill us and our whoreswine but also just poisonous enough to remind us of the Constructor's power. Thank you, oh Constructors! In your wisdom, you have taught us true piety! In your wisdom, you have stripped away the material possessions that so long have shackled us!"

Brother Manglerod's long breathless speech is suddenly stopped, and he stands there with a look of desperate credence.

"Well!" he says at last. "I'd best figure out where Brother Abbsind is off to! He's somewhat new, he doesn't really... do... his duties." he walks off briskly.

The three of you eat in silence for a while, mouth sounds pervading the air. You spoon small mystery chunks from the pottage onto the ground in front of an eager Suvram, who gobbles them up with relish. You're about to ask where Suvram found relish when Eye Guy asks a question.

"So... Swvrma, is it? How did you find your way into blowing up Constructs?"

Swvrma kept chewing as she spoke.

"i WaS oNe oF 146 CHiLDReN oF THe 24 WaRRioR WiVeS oF SLeiTH CoRVaRRHa. He WaS SeeDFaTHeR To THe SePaRaTiST FaCTioN THaT FoRCiBLy HeLD THe THouSaND-SToReY CLouDPoKeR iN WHiCH i WaS BoRN. i SHaLL LiKeLy NeVeR KNoW WHo BeTRaYeD uS THaT HoRRiFyiNG DaY: THe SHoCK TRooPS SiMPLy APPeaReD aND CuT THe PoWeR To THe eGReSS PoRTaL. i WaS FoRTuNaTe To HaVe aCCeSS To a PoRTaL DeViCe My FaTHeR KePT SeCReT. THouSaNDS DieD WHiLe i LiVeD. aS i HiD iN a PoCKeT uNiVeRSe, i VoWeD i WouLD SLauGHTeR aS MaNy oF THoSe CoNSTRuCToR BaSTaRDS aS i PoSSiBLy CaN."

"Wow." says Eye Guy. "That's horrible to hear."

"Yeah, seriously. Do you have some sort of speech defect?"

"What the Squiv, dude." says Eye Guy.

"I'm sorry, I just had a real tough time listening to that. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, it's just--do you?"

"i'M GoiNG To See iF THeRe'S a BaTHRooM." says Swvrma, getting up from the floor. She walks off.

"What is your problem?" asks Eye Guy.

"I don't know, I feel like poo poo right now honestly." you say. "I feel shaky, and irritable. Like I'm sick. I just keep thinking of the worst things to say, and then I say them."

"Have some more water." suggests Eye Guy,

"No, it's--it's frankly much warmer and browner than I feel comfortable with. It feels like it's burning my throat." You pull your bottle of liquor out of your bag. "Heeere we go, much better." You tip the bottle towards Eye Guy, who accepts a small drink.

"Hoooly DAN" he shouts as the liquor burns his throat. "That's squivved. I'm gonna need a nap after all this."

"Ggggkkaa" you agree, taking a five-ounce gulp of the booze. "I suppose their beds are probably as nice as their chairs."

"I don't know, maybe they've laid some nice chunks of rock pointy-side up to rest on. Maybe--"

"Wait. Hold on. Did you see that?"

A cloaked figure slinks out of a shadowed archway, and fixes his one visible eye right on you. He looks upset. He jerks his head twice in the direction of the archway. He vanishes back into the shadows.

"See what?" asks Eye Guy. "You've only had one drink, man, you can't be seeing things."

1.) Follow the cloaked figure.
2.) Ignore it and see if you can get some shut-eye.
3.) The Ubiquitous Player Entry

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I vote for wailing "what happened to your face" at increasing pitch and volume for a good ten minutes.
ALTERNATIVELY, we've had a rough day- we've been shot at, sneered at, adopted an eggchild, met with two extra-planar entities of questionable benevolence and, worst of all, eaten pottage. I think we should (2) rest for a while, because
a) it couldn't possibly make things worse than they already are
b) our mental and physical health are pretty fragile at present
c) who knows what helpful entities we might meet in the penumbra of consciousness that we call "sleep"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

1, let's see where this goes.

I suppose the outcome depends whether he is upset as in sad or upset as in angry, but let's find out

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

1) this guy could be warning us of danger. While our life is worthless, we cannot risk our dear sweet child's life.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

1) I want to see more of this bizarre compound and its mutant inhabitants who may or may not plan to eat us.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I mean at one stage I was hoping that whoreswine was whores' wine, which sounds like a party, but I'm getting the vibe that the monks want to transform us into pigsluts

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

I mean at one stage I was hoping that whoreswine was whores' wine, which sounds like a party, but I'm getting the vibe that the monks want to transform us into pigsluts

The rule in this world seems to be "if there's a pleasant interpretation, that's not it"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

1) I want to see more of this bizarre compound and its mutant inhabitants who may or may not plan to eat us.

1) this guy could be warning us of danger. While our life is worthless, we cannot risk our dear sweet child's life.

simplefish posted:

1, let's see where this goes.

I suppose the outcome depends whether he is upset as in sad or upset as in angry, but let's find out

"I swear I saw one of those monks gesture for me to follow him." you say.

"There's no reason anybody here would know you." replies Eye Guy. "Why would anyone want to talk to you?"

"Maybe he's warning me about something, I don't know. I'm going to go find out."

"Look, I'm sorry. But I need a nap. I'm not looking for any other adventures at the moment. Have fun gossiping with monks."

You duck around the corner. There's a dark vaulted corridor. You don't see anyone.

You turn another corner as you come to it. The corridor opens up into some kind of reading room.

Two monks examine scripture near a lichen encrusted wall.

"Did one of you want to talk to me?" you ask.

Both of them look at you with surprise. "I don't even know who you are." one of them says.

"Nevermind." you say quickly, and head out the nearest door.

You can tell by the change in the air that you're actually outside, in some sort of sunken courtyard. The sky is a darkening gap in the stones overhead. Sparse plants litter the area as if once meant to be decorative.

"What the Squiv are you doing back here, Agent Hot?" says a fierce whisper. You turn to see the monk who beckoned you.

The man's face, framed by a black wool hood, was like an oil painting--a half of which had turpentine splashed down it. His one good eye glowered from under a canopy of scar tissue, and his small petulant mouth was like a fish's. His left eye-socket and nasal cavity were impressions in the twisted dough of his flesh.

"I've already done my part! I need to blend in so as not to raise suspicion, and you returning here is not helping matters! You have the information you need, why aren't you completing your mission?"

"I'm sorry, what?" you say, baffled beyond comprehension.

Fear sparkles in the man's eye. "Have they Blobbed you?"

"Blobbed? What's that? Who are you?"

"Who am I?" he asks. "If you were just Blobbed, you'd remember all this. Somebody else got to you first, didn't they?"

"I don't know." you say, kind of anxiously. "Somebody told me that somebody else messed with my brain--"

"Who?"

"Shrunken head guy."

"...A shrunken head guy messed with your brain?"

"No! Shrunken head guy helps my brain, I think. No no, he said someone else deleted some of my memory."

"Who?" he asks again.

"He doesn't know. And I don't know."

"I don't know of any device that can do such a thing. Not with that sort of accuracy."

"So, you know who I am?" you ask. "Can you tell me more about myself?"

"I'm sorry, we were just co-conspirators really. I know you as Agent Hot."

"And you're--?"

"Agent Cold."

"Naturally. And we're co-conspirators? Against the Constructors?"

"And their allies, the Morani. You're our agent inside the family."

"Why did I turn against the family?" you ask.

"Probably because you've seen some of the horrible things they've done, I imagine. They're not exactly secretive about their tortures, I can't imagine what they keep hidden. Not to mention all of the Blobbing places like this one."

"Wait, they Blob people here? What exactly does that mean?"

"It's the Constructor's way of trying to guarantee complacency from the populace while they go about their work. The less resistance, the easier for them. Blobbing produces a sense of ease with the Constructors by introducing a fragment of their life-code into the brain."

A chill washes over you. "Brother Redubbling..."

1.) Go check on Vihrau, Amonolee, and Eemot.
2.) Grab Eye Guy for backup and then go check.
3.) Anyone got a better idea? Player Input.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 1, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh poo poo

So, quick recap:

our casualty Virahu is with the Blobber
    Eyeguy might stll be where we left him or gently caress knows where else if he decided to go walkabout
    Shawarma (with the spongebob memevoice) just hosed off somewhere to the bog or something after lunch
    The other Weird Sisters are... well Amonlee was with the casualty Vindaloo, I think Ergot was with them too

That's 2 people we don't know where they'll be, we don't have time to spend looking for them if poo poo's going bad with Brother Redbubble. We maybe should get Brother Cold here to lead us to where Brother Blobber's chambers are - if everything's fine, he can easily handwave it as us asking him where our injured friend was after lunch. If not, we can help fight Br Redbubble. I'm going to call this Option 5, if anyone wants to vote for this.

On the other hand, Eyeguy thought the Weird Sisters were constructor allies so maybe the monks will think the same? In which case they'll be safe and Eyeguy is the most at risk because he isn't from this world we're currently in and might go running his mouth about how he is against the Morenos. And because they're allies of the Constructors like The Brotherhood of The Last of Us and so the monks might do Bad Stuff to him. While he's perhaps less likely to be in danger than the ladies with the Blobber, he is a better friend so should our loyalties lie with our Lizardbaby's Daddy?
I'll call going to check on him Option 6, if anyone wants to vote for that.

Personally I trust eyeguy to keep his trap shut, I'm voting option 5 - but I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 1, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks for the recap; there's a whole lot to keep track of at the moment.
So: on the one hand, our loyalties mostly lie with Eye Guy. On the other hand, out of the pair of us, there is definitely one person who is prone to saying stupid things and getting into trouble, and that person is NOT Raggart Turlingwisse Smith. He can probably look after himself just fine.
I am leaning just slightly towards "option 5," which has the best chance of getting us some much-needed answers.
Incidentally, I get the unpleasant feeling that we are (well, were) a double agent. It helps explain our wiped memory, our plentiful supplies, and our weird mix of naked hostility, self-sabotage and actual courage. Or there could be something altogether stranger going on...
As a final note, is the Father of Too Many Pikes any connection with Holy Anointed Dan from earlier in the thread?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Don't get me wrong, if we backtrack through the dining hall on the way to Redbubble's chambers and eyeguy's there, then sure, bring him too. I'm just assuming worst case, maybe he's off banging a pigslut, idk, who are we to judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

Indeed there loving is! So I'll take this opportunity during a moment of minor tension to do my own recap, starting at the beginning. Consider this post a reference for players or lurkers interested in joining, or a primer for anyone just stopping in for the first time.

OUR STORY THUS FAR

Your first unscrambled memory is of a cliffside.

You walk East, and find a wounded vulpinhawk.

You meet Raggart aka Eye Guy who informs you you are in Morani hunting grounds.

You encounter an Orthemka, a huge metal humanoid construct, who attacks you.

You run and hide, but two horrible creatures menace you in the brush.

The Orthemka opens a portal, and you running-kick him through it.

As the portal threatens to suck you in, Eye Guy tries to help. In what seems to be a characteristic move, you pull him through instead.

You meet Shrunken Head Guy in Throughspace while portalling.

He is able to read your thoughts. He seems helpful.

You are in what turns out to be a Construct.

You play your whistlehorn, thus attracting the notice of iO Shiamara aka The Weird Sisters aka The Hags

Amonolee is the leader of the small group, and has a hot temper. She does not like things getting in her way or second-guessing her.

Vihrau aka Nose is an engineer, a "mekanist" in your world and "ultrinker" in her own, she is quiet considerate and mechanically gifted.

Swvrma is the group's demolitions expert, in charge of destroying anything that needs to be destroyed. She's got issues you can't imagine.

Eemot aka Chinny is big, deep-voiced, and strong. The group's muscle, tough and armed with a Jecta gun.

Denxter who is some sort of dog-man or man-dog. No known use.

They're on a mission to destroy the Construct. While they figure out their next step, you investigate a red light, and encounter The Controller.

The Controller informs you that you are born of members of your own reality and theirs, giving you insight and value but also making you a target. The Controller enlists your aid in protecting the Construct from iO Shiamara by giving you a portal device to remove them.

During this time, an egg in your possession hatches into an adorable werxel. Eye Guy names it Suvram.

Returning to your comrades, you continue to the Central Transgressor Unit, which necessitates crossing a chasm. Upon the bridge you encounter the Orthemka again. Using your portal device, you dispatch the threat.

You learn that the Constructors build the Constructs in order to "steal" your own reality and "graft" it onto their own giving them more overall space.

Reaching the Central Transgressor Unit, you must find the Originating Spark Module and place the bomb on it.

Lost, you come upon a monitor screen. Vihrau attempts to access it but The Controller blasts her arm with malevolent energies.

You are forced to cut off her arm with a dagger, and turn back on your course. Denxter grabs the arm and runs off, never to be seen again.

At last you find the Originating Spark Module and place the bomb on it.

Amonolee activates the portal device and you escape.

While in Throughspace, you again encounter Shrunken Head Guy. He corroborates The Controller's information about you being a child of both realities. He also informs you that you are a Morani.

You rematerialize outside. You observe the Construct rescind from reality itself.

Now stranded at the edge of the Blasted Lands and the Beaten Lands you randomly pick west as your direction of travel.

Eventually you see a light. Investigating further, you find an observation tower.

The tower belongs to Jored'l'm, The Watcher of This Plain. He demands your weïrdometer (a device which detects disturbances in reality) in order to help you further.

You compel him to assist you without giving up your weïrdometer. Using his farviewer you see three options of travel.

An Ogrithek Heap

A Drejj Encampment

A mysterious cloister.

You select the cloister, and head off.

You meet Brother Domp, who is milking a whoreswine.

He directs Vihrau to Brother Redubbling for medical treatment. Eemot and Amonolee go also.

You, Eye Guy and Swvrma have lunch. Brother Manglerod gives you some pottage with extra scrapings.

Swvrma tells some story, then walks off mad for some reason. You see a monk beckon to you.

When you confront the monk, he reveals to you he is a fellow agent working against the Constructors and the Morani. He surmises your memory was tampered with, and informs you that the cloister actually "Blobs" people, a procedure that instills obedience to the Constructors.

So here we are. Eemot, Amonolee and Vihrau are with Brother Redubbling in the infirmary.
You are with Agent Cold in the courtyard.
Eye Guy is possibly still in the dining area, or found a place to sleep.
Swvrma's location is presently unknown.

Tree Bucket posted:

As a final note, is the Father of Too Many Pikes any connection with Holy Anointed Dan from earlier in the thread?

Yes! Glad you spotted that.

I'll have the next "move" later tonight.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 1, 2019