Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Binary Logic posted:

Was thee any purpose to the 'ice-cutting with a hand saw' or was it just a goofy, completely invented-for-tv punishment?

Supplemental question: Heather "I never screw up proteins" was cooking steaks and kept spooning butter and jus from the pan onto the meat, is that typical? It kind of looked disgusting.

Yes, like all HK punishments it's meant to consume time and energy with nothing to show for it, making it extra unfulfilling. Seriously, you want perfectly square ice cubes? There are machines that can make that, even silicone trays will do it in less time than it would take to carve them from solid blocks.

and Heather- so bitter on the reward after her team won without any help from her whatsoever :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Binary Logic posted:

Was thee any purpose to the 'ice-cutting with a hand saw' or was it just a goofy, completely invented-for-tv punishment?

Amazing Trevor managed to last as long as he did.

Anyone here a chef or have resto experience? New ticket comes in:

"2 Beef Wellington and 2 fish. How long for the fish?"

"4 minutes chef!"

Can you really cook fish in 4 minutes? Even in a skillet or pan it takes me a lot longer than that at home for a regular supermarket salmon fillet and I like it a little under-done.

Supplemental question: Heather "I never screw up proteins" was cooking steaks and kept spooning butter and jus from the pan onto the meat, is that typical? It kind of looked disgusting.

Yes, that’s a technique to ensure even browning on all surfaces. They are spooning hot oil to get Maillard reactions going wherever there’s a spot that isn’t browning well. If you cook steak in a pan it’s especially useful for bone-in cuts where the meat near the bone can’t contact the pan well.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
you can end up poaching it if you gently caress it up though (if the oil/juices aren't hot enough)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mia is my front runner right now. She has had some bad services but she loving nails challenges, usually. The finale is all about dishes you produce and she has been running circles around everyone there.

It's gonna be her and Arial.

Also I love how the challenges are these DAUNTING tasks but also contestants can just gently caress off to the dorms and eat a hot pocket in bed or whatever.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I was right there with the black jacket group thinking Kanae got robbed tonight. Heather has been pretty weak lately and won’t last much longer.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Heather ain’t all that and she’s had a terrible attitude- other than Bret, the only person I wouldn’t want to see one

Bret is just so gross with all the poo poo he says. Every plate is “sexy”. Food is not sexy! :mad:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Heather ain’t all that and she’s had a terrible attitude- other than Bret, the only person I wouldn’t want to see one

Bret is just so gross with all the poo poo he says. Every plate is “sexy”. Food is not sexy! :mad:

As someone who works in the industry: I hate calling food sexy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really dumb to get rid of Kanae instead of Heather. Seems Heather was a trainwreck the whole time and managed to find something relatively easy to save herself...

While Kanae actually did okay and tried to do something unique in the final round. Also Kanae is actually a likable person...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s about narrative. Although I kinda have a sneaking suspicion on the racial breakdown of top 5/winners tend to be (ie white). Needa look into that just to see if I’m correct.

Edit: yea I was correct, least it’s been a lot of women.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 21, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Kinae should have gotten a BJ. :bandwagon:

...but 24 Hours to Gordon was b-a-n-a-n-a-s this week! Extremely awkward staff meeting. :yikes:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Kinae should have gotten a BJ. :bandwagon:

...but 24 Hours to Gordon was b-a-n-a-n-a-s this week! Extremely awkward staff meeting. :yikes:

Care to summarize? I didn't record this week.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

wormil posted:

Care to summarize? I didn't record this week.

HK: They did a Top Chef style elimination challenge for black jackets. Final round came down to Heather vs Kinae and it was pretty obvious Kinae was better (and Ramsay seemed strangely conciliatory in her dismissal) but Heather got the last Black Jacket.

24 Hours: Owner was a huge boob who doesn't deserve his awesome mom, hot wife, and head chef. If I had that many strong women around me I'd just give them the tools for success and chill out, but instead he got into a heated exchange with Ramsay about how owing your mom a quarter of a million dollars isn't ~a big deal~. In the end he reformed and the restaurant seems to be doing well in the credits-interview.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
In the 24 Hours, I couldn't stop noticing that restaurant owner's mom looked younger than he did. I think his horrible attitude aged him.

BTW, I'll be going to three Ramsay restaurants later this year when we're in Vegas: Burger, Pub and Grill, and HK. We've been to Pub and Grill and HK before; the food is very good. Pub and Grill had the best fish and chips I've ever eaten.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I did like the chef on 24 Hours: "I've seen your show and don't want to be on it!"

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I can't help but think those chefs all suck rear end or they wouldn't work at a restaurant so bad it's on TV for being awful.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Some of those kinda shows hire actors so I kinda wonder if they do some of that too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

wormil posted:

I can't help but think those chefs all suck rear end or they wouldn't work at a restaurant so bad it's on TV for being awful.

People get set in routines and, depending on where you live, management-level is usually an employer's market. If you're in a town of <150k people, every decent restaurant is probably owned by 3 guys who all know each other.
:shrug:

Also, especially in the back of house, there is a lot of esprit de corps and good managers feel a lot of responsibility for their staff, letting lovely owners take advantage of them for a long time.

but most of them suck rear end:ssh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh man...a new 24 Hours to Gordon:

:pusheen:

edit: holy poo poo, y'all - he didn't even get out of the costume this week :laffo:

edit2: OMG HE GONNA MRS DOUBTFIRE NEXT WEEK :vince:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 24, 2019

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Lol even with the new kitchen and renovations that place still looked dirty AF.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cyril Sneer posted:

Lol even with the new kitchen and renovations that place still looked dirty AF.

Yeah, even I was shocked by that floor... :stare:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
One of these days there has to be a restaurant so gross even Gordon gives up, takes one look at the roaches and says, "We'll nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

I thought for sure we'd get an I'VE EATEN IT this episode, but sadly no.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

One of these days there has to be a restaurant so gross even Gordon gives up, takes one look at the roaches and says, "We'll nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

Presumably the ones he gives up on don't make it into episodes!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DyHthJ6LA

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Like the thread's other idea for a season of Hell's Kitchen to end half-way into episode six with Gordon just sending everyone home.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If it wasn’t all just a sitcom anyways that would be really funny.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just caught up with HK, Kanae had like the least-bitter exit walk ever :3:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The Hot Ones video with Gordon is p funny... :thumbsup:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lmao Bret ready to break out some Steiner Math

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Heather was such a trainwreck, adds more to the Kanae should have got to stick around for another week instead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Heather was such a trainwreck, adds more to the Kanae should have got to stick around for another week instead.

I mean, you never know what happened in editing, but she sure seemed to implode over the last two.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, you never know what happened in editing, but she sure seemed to implode over the last two.

Well sure, but I doubt they managed to edit that she broke her yoke and her hollandaise while serving an eggs Benedict... Also admitted to not having cooked Duck or Quail the week before.

Now I haven't made Duck or Quail, but I'm also not trying to win a chef position at a Ramsey restaurant for the 2nd time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well sure, but I doubt they managed to edit that she broke her yoke and her hollandaise while serving an eggs Benedict... Also admitted to not having cooked Duck or Quail the week before.

Now I haven't made Duck or Quail, but I'm also not trying to win a chef position at a Ramsey restaurant for the 2nd time.

Yeah, I don’t know why I hedged my bet there: she pretty obviously poo poo the bed. Guess I was feeling generous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Quail I think is maybe forgivable, you can go to a lot of fine dining restaurants and not see Quail on the menu. Duck is a pretty standard protein though, I'd think someone applying to a Ramsay position would've at least experimented with it a little bit.

Of course, we all know these people aren't selected for culinary skill/experience though, that's completely secondary.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Man, not a single comment on Gordon Ramsay dressed as Mrs. Doubtfire? That was some A+ quality television right there.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Watching this recent episode of Hell's Kitchen, is Bret really a private chef in Florida? And they put that graphic up after he knocks Mia for being a private chef in Miami? God I hope he loving goes home.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What episode/show is Gordon dressing up as an old lady? I need to see if there's any gifable moments

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tired Moritz posted:

What episode/show is Gordon dressing up as an old lady? I need to see if there's any gifable moments

The latest ep of 24 Hours to Hell and Back; "The Stone's Throw".

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

How many Hell's Kitchen winners have actually gotten the executive chef job? I assume Motto could have just taken the money had he won.

I'm guessing it will be Ariel vs. Mia for the final so they can continue the whole rookies vs. veterans thing to the end, but also because Bret needs to gently caress off.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s not really a head chef job, they get the money and can work as a line chef if they want but most of them peace out. There are a couple notable exceptions though so it is a good foot in the door if you really want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s not really a head chef job, they get the money and can work as a line chef if they want but most of them peace out. There are a couple notable exceptions though so it is a good foot in the door if you really want it.

yeah -- S10's Christina went on to appear in other seasons, in other Ramsay shows, and afaik was promoted to a branch managery position where she was in charge of multiple restaurants. presumably because she was actually an effectual person with good skills.