Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is sword art online an isekai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
"Sucked into video game" is a subgenre of isekai, yes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Argas posted:

The inside of a computer isn't another world.

They refer to it as the Digital World, so I will posit that it is indeed, another world.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I think my english prof talked about "the world of literature" once. Is my life an isekai?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elephant Parade posted:

I think my english prof talked about "the world of literature" once. Is my life an isekai?

No but The Pagemaster was an isekai.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Don't they regularly summon Digimon into the real world though? I feel like it shouldn't be classified as an Isekai because of that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Isekai, to me, also involves the fantasy that the hours your spent gaming actually had some value.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The world they are sent to is always a game world they spent a lot of time in, and are exceptional in. Isekai, is the fantasy, of that being your real life.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Hero of electrical installations that do not meet code

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

drilldo squirt posted:

The world they are sent to is always a game world they spent a lot of time in, and are exceptional in. Isekai, is the fantasy, of that being your real life.

Give me a series where a dingus gets sent to FFXI, where his junk gets stomped on every step of the way.

"But I know this game! I have strats!"

"I don't think it cares.:madmax:"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Don't they regularly summon Digimon into the real world though? I feel like it shouldn't be classified as an Isekai because of that.

if sword art online is an isekai how is digimon not an isekai

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
An Isekai doesn't mean you're trapped in an alternate world, only that you travel to it, it also doesn't say you can't bring stuff back.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Are Digimon Tamers and Kobayashi's Maid Dragon reverse-isekai because they're about monsters traveling to the human world

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cephas posted:

Are Digimon Tamers and Kobayashi's Maid Dragon reverse-isekai because they're about monsters traveling to the human world

I think for it to qualify as an Isekai, travel and interaction with the new world has to be the main major point of the series. These may fit, I dunno.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

I think for it to qualify as an Isekai, travel and interaction with the new world has to be the main major point of the series. These may fit, I dunno.

Isekai checklist: The plot revolves around being reborn or transported into another world

That's it.

This definition is from the Japanese Wikipedia article, you'd better believe those Otaku.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 30, 2019

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Please....stopppppp

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

persona 4 is an isekai because the main character moves from a city to a small town

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

Please....stopppppp

Hero of barely on-topic thread derails.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

K-ON is an isekai because yui is introduced to the world of light music

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lurking Haro posted:

Isekai checklist: The plot revolves around being reborn or transported into another world

That's it.

This definition is from the Japanese Wikipedia article, you'd better believe those Otaku.

That works.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Is Final Fantasy X an isekai? :thunk:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Is Final Fantasy X an isekai? :thunk:

yes

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Namtab posted:

Please....stopppppp

more like pissekai

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Please....stopppppp

It's this or seriously engaging with the messaging of a show that mainly exists as a vehicle for the author's gigantic literal hateboner for women.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

No it isn't, it's an Isekai-Fakeout. Dream Zanarkand is a physical location inside Spira's world. The best way to understand the plot of FF10 is the moment someone says "Dream x" Mentally substitute "Dream" with "Aeon" and "Dreaming" as "Summoning." Tidus is an Aeon, summoned by a mass summoning by the survivors of Zanarkand, to preserve their history as an Aeon-simulation. It is a physical location off the coast of Spira.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best Digimon was the one with a bancho middle-schooler who was constantly punching both peeps and digimons alike. Plus a Bancholeomon.

As for hero concepts: Hero who uses armored toes for cheap crotch shots.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

No it isn't, it's an Isekai-Fakeout. Dream Zanarkand is a physical location inside Spira's world. The best way to understand the plot of FF10 is the moment someone says "Dream x" Mentally substitute "Dream" with "Aeon" and "Dreaming" as "Summoning." Tidus is an Aeon, summoned by a mass summoning by the survivors of Zanarkand, to preserve their history as an Aeon-simulation. It is a physical location off the coast of Spira.

the fresh prince of bel-air is also an isekai

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did anyone ever finish Helck? I see it's concluded now. I stopped during a big fight scene with whatever big reveal they had that was world building at the same time while Helck and Anne from Management were still trying to out overpower a few big bads with powers that we never knew they had but are now on display. Does it ever return to characterization, or is it just more just-in-time revealing stuff?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
TRON: The Isekai that Defined a Generation.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The author started a new series, but it kinda falls off near the end. I still say it's worth binging through, but it wasn't a perfect end to an otherwise perfect manga.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

UltraRed posted:

Did anyone ever finish Helck? I see it's concluded now. I stopped during a big fight scene with whatever big reveal they had that was world building at the same time while Helck and Anne from Management were still trying to out overpower a few big bads with powers that we never knew they had but are now on display. Does it ever return to characterization, or is it just more just-in-time revealing stuff?

Ah poo poo I need to go back to that. I remember reading some of it when it was first introduced here.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm the guy meticulously keeping track of every page in a manga where an underage catgirl takes her clothes off

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

This just in: GATE is good now
Once again, another great artist working with a mediocre story. But Sao Satoru is a military nut that likes drawing highly detailed army equipment and sexy women so he's gotta be on cloud nine with that series. I do think GATE as a story has leveled out as well, it got better once it started focusing more on the Alnus politics.

Namtab posted:

Please....stopppppp
Isn't this the second quarantine thread you've made that's gone this route?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Brought To You By posted:

Hero of trying to hold in a fart but failing and it makes a louder, nastier fart that makes everybody leave the room

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wallrod posted:

Hero of trying to hold in a fart but failing and it makes a louder, nastier fart that makes everybody leave the room
Big mood. :wow:

Speaking of isekai mangas that were rec'd in this thread, I've been really enjoying the first volume or so worth of chapters of The Misfortunes of Local Knight Hans. There's something frankly endearing about him acting as a team dad of sorts for the Japanese visitors. :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm annoyed at CR for promoting the poo poo out of this garbage because my tl was completely free of it other than their posting

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm annoyed at CR for promoting the poo poo out of this garbage because my tl was completely free of it other than their posting

You're annoyed at them for promoting it? Not for being the ones funding it?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...es_tile_index_1

Humble Bundle from Kodansha that has the following tiers,

$1
Drifting Dragons(1-3)

$8
Land of the Lustrous(1-5), Clockwork Planet(1-5), Flying Witch(1-4)

$15
Cells at Work(1-4), Heavens Design Team(1-2), Fire Force(anime soon, 1-10), Pumpkin Scissors(1-15)

$18
Norigami(1-6), I'm Standing on a Million Lives(1-4), Altair: Record of Battles(1-8)

$20
Reincarnated as a Slime(1-4), To Your Eternity(1-7), Mushishi(1-10), Battle Angel Alita(1-3)

Even on Sale Slime retails for $6 and some change so this is a REALLY good deal.

I'll be posting this in some other boards for those that might be interested if that's ok.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onmi posted:

You're annoyed at them for promoting it? Not for being the ones funding it?

Both. It makes it so much loving harder than it should be to get away from it since it's EVERYWHERE. And yeah they're 100% backing this since and interview revealed that Kadokawa barely acknowledged this series AT ALL since it barely moves the needle over there if at all, but CR pushed HARD for an anime of it and exclusive rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Once again, another great artist working with a mediocre story. But Sao Satoru is a military nut that likes drawing highly detailed army equipment and sexy women so he's gotta be on cloud nine with that series. I do think GATE as a story has leveled out as well, it got better once it started focusing more on the Alnus politics.

I only made this quarantine thread to actually quarantine discussion as opposed to the other thread which was Just Asking Questions and not for quarantine