Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I rent a room in my friends house because it's real cheap and we're good roomies. Anhyhow, this old house was built in '68 and cheaply renovated by the PO. The PO did nothing but cheap DIY renovations. They laid down some lovely new flooring, installed cheap appliances, and new paint. Since my friend bought the house three years ago, they replaced the leaky roof, replaced the ancient AC and water heater, and remodeled a bathroom. There is still a lot to do. The other bathroom is falling apart, kitchen cabinets are disintegrating, and the windows may as well be curtains. My friend thinks pouring money into this house is a good investment and because it has "good bones".

The current repair this week is to the sewer line, but the sewer line can't be repaired until the foundation is repaired. The high clay content of this southern soil distorted the foundation. Foundation guys dig holes, install pillars underground, and level the slab. House is now level and all the doors close without jamming. Now the flooring is ripped up from the holes the foundation contractor dug, but it's fine because we want to replace ithe floors. So I help my friend rip out the rest of the lovely wood flooring and we discover there is linoleum flooring underneath it. We keep working and discover a giant crack through the middle of the living room's foundation. The linoleum is missing only around the crack. My best guess is that the PO discovered a crack in the linoleum, ripped up the linoleum along the crack to assess the damage. Then the PO realized how bad it was and laid the new flooring on top of the linoleum and the crack. Black mold is growing along the crack and plenty of moisture leaks from the ground.

But this old house has "good bones".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I'd imagine he has to document the level of moisture found in a formal report. :shrug:

In the article, there's no suggestion he's using the moisture meter in the second pic. The caption for the two pics together is

quote:

A moisture probe, a tool of the trade, can get behind stucco and other exteriors to determine the percentage of water in the walls. Rob Lunny of Lunny Building Diagnostics, based in Bucks County, points out structural damage to this West Chester home.

He's just pointing to the huge rotten hole in the wall in the second pic going "now you see here, this here is a huge rotten hole in the wall."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I rent a room in my friends house because it's real cheap and we're good roomies. Anhyhow, this old house was built in '68 and cheaply renovated by the PO. The PO did nothing but cheap DIY renovations. They laid down some lovely new flooring, installed cheap appliances, and new paint. Since my friend bought the house three years ago, they replaced the leaky roof, replaced the ancient AC and water heater, and remodeled a bathroom. There is still a lot to do. The other bathroom is falling apart, kitchen cabinets are disintegrating, and the windows may as well be curtains. My friend thinks pouring money into this house is a good investment and because it has "good bones".

The current repair this week is to the sewer line, but the sewer line can't be repaired until the foundation is repaired. The high clay content of this southern soil distorted the foundation. Foundation guys dig holes, install pillars underground, and level the slab. House is now level and all the doors close without jamming. Now the flooring is ripped up from the holes the foundation contractor dug, but it's fine because we want to replace ithe floors. So I help my friend rip out the rest of the lovely wood flooring and we discover there is linoleum flooring underneath it. We keep working and discover a giant crack through the middle of the living room's foundation. The linoleum is missing only around the crack. My best guess is that the PO discovered a crack in the linoleum, ripped up the linoleum along the crack to assess the damage. Then the PO realized how bad it was and laid the new flooring on top of the linoleum and the crack. Black mold is growing along the crack and plenty of moisture leaks from the ground.

But this old house has "good bones".

I’ll take “Definition of Latent Defect” for $400, Alex

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If I haven't actually had a loss at that house, I've had one at a damned similar location in the city, about six years ago.

The homeowner had a persistent water damage problem at the 2nd floor rear bedroom, under the window in the rear elevation. I ruled out a roof leak, as there was no dampness above the level of the windowsill (I use a moisture meter also). He had fungus growing out of the baseboard under the window.

I found that the window opening wasn't properly weather-covered & the opening wasn't flashed properly - the rear elevation was stucco over Tyvek over USB, with nothing more than caulk at the window openings,, so water was leaking down inside the wall whenever it rained.

Although there was no visible damage yet, the water had travelled down into the kitchen & behind the cabinets. I wrote for what I could.

He called about a month later for a reinspection of the exterior, It looked a lot like those photos. None of it was covered by HO insurance. The build was less than five years old.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Which of these Pinterest decor horrors is more likely to severely maim someone when it falls?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the gently caress

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

what the gently caress

Door to Batgirl's bathroom.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Ugh I am imagining standing up from the bed and immediately getting scalped by the rusty spring hair grabber. Don't they know they can hang fairy lights directly on the wall if they want?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

B-Nasty posted:

This recent article about Toll Brothers and their shoddy faux stucco/EIFS is a good example of the horrors caused by bad waterproofing: http://www.philly.com/real-estate/housing/water-damage-home-construction-defects-rotting-toll-cutler-stucco-20181115.html

I'll take vinyl siding over Tyvek all day over 'stucco' that hides the extent of the damage until it's way too late.

:stonk: Holy poo poo. I thought they'd overhauled the EIFS design and installation procedures after all the lawsuits in the 90's. But I guess this is an instance of builders being cheap as poo poo and hoping the rot stays hidden until they're out of the statute of limitations?

Those folks having to replace rotten exterior doors/frames after eleven years was a super bad sign - my house is 110 years old and in a climate very similar to that in Philly and it still has its original exterior doors, which are very much not rotten. I'll take my old-rear end brick and stone on wood planks over shoddy EIFS any day.

The only rot/water intrusion problem we have right now is one window on the north side of the house (which takes an extra beating from storms and never sees the sun) that had been poorly maintained. The sashes are degraded and the jamb is partially rotted out on one side, letting some dribbles of rain in sometimes. To fix it, we just need to rebuild the jamb and replace the sashes, not rip the whole loving facade off the house.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Horatius Bonar posted:

It's water that mostly looks like it got in around the windows where there's any kind of gap. Because it had no where to drain or even evaporate it stayed and pooled, got behind the housewrap, and started eating at the OSB. If it had been built with a rainscreen, water still would have gotten in behind the siding, but then dripped down the house wrap to an exit at the bottom, or evaporated into the air gap before it would get behind the housewrap to that extent.
Yep.

And re this, there should be some kickout flashing, which is a separate mistake. I mean, there are kickout flashings we would not be able to see form this angle, but give the dame, there is no kickout flashing there:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Youth Decay posted:

Which of these Pinterest decor horrors is more likely to severely maim someone when it falls?

I actually kinda like this one if the ceiling is tall enough and they lower it down and add hooks and make it a hanging pot rack. Assuming it's over an island of course.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

couldcareless posted:

I actually kinda like this one if the ceiling is tall enough and they lower it down and add hooks and make it a hanging pot rack. Assuming it's over an island of course.
Yeah, this one has potential. Like, imagine if you took that thing down, and placed it into a similarly sized hole in a wall, and then put hinges on it so that sometimes the hole was there, and sometimes it wasn't.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, this one has potential. Like, imagine if you took that thing down, and placed it into a similarly sized hole in a wall, and then put hinges on it so that sometimes the hole was there, and sometimes it wasn't.

lol

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's that primary school logic of "gluing trash to things is creative".

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

couldcareless posted:

It would look better if they actually bothered to remove the door hinges, but it still sticks out to me in that photo. While that kitchen is not ultra-modern, it isnt ~rustic~ enough to pull that off imo. You really have to go all in with the rustic aesthetic for it to work, and even then it usually falls flat unless you have the resources of Joanna Gaines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heat sink, meet hot sink.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Platystemon posted:

:stonk:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

hahahahahaha what

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Platystemon posted:

I cannot even believe that this is real. Human stupidity has to have a limit, right?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Some electrician really hates the countertop/sink guys?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I refuse to believe it’s real.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You got water in my electricity!

You got electricity in my water!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What are the chances the hole this previously covered now has a sliding barn door over it?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

The Bloop posted:

You got water in my electricity!

You got electricity in my water!

Hey that tastes g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g (dies)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Outlet in sink was a prank played on the inspector by someone on Reddit.

It’s a broken socket and faceplate stuck to the basin with adhesive tape.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

party pooper

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Platystemon posted:

You could potentially give an inspector a real heart attack with a curling iron "plugged in" with a battery inside it keeping the LED lit and a sink full of hot water. Then reach in to show them your awesome on demand hot water solution.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

You could potentially give an inspector a real heart attack with a curling iron "plugged in" with a battery inside it keeping the LED lit and a sink full of hot water. Then reach in to show them your awesome on demand hot water solution.

That would look so violently wrong that I would almost expect a wile e. coyote situation, and you reach into the sink and get electrocuted, somehow.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

$5000 fine for tampering with inspection report

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Slugworth posted:

If they turned it into a functioning door with slide out stairs to get to the hidden loft hiding gold/refugees/etc. Leave the hinges on the outside and functional ones hidden to fool the gestapo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

Thats gotta be a novelty overflow drain

Right?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crapper Construction Tales

Edit:

Platystemon posted:

:stonk: x 2

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 31, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Frozen, shattered toilet is so perfect. "Glacier Bay" lmao

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kid sinister posted:

Crapper Construction Tales

I wonder how far up the pipes that has frozen.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

Let it go...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azza Bamboo posted:

Halfway to Hell.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Platystemon posted:

I think it's actually one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Ozzys-Outlet-Electric-Faceplate-Receptacle/dp/B01AFFUIDS/

I saw the post on Reddit. Sounded like he was trying to play a prank on his inspector.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Platystemon posted:

this is horrifying

who puts a kitchen faucet in a bathroom

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Easiest way to clean up after shaving.

EDIT: Wait, that's not even a flexible faucet. Yeah, no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Someone who wants to wash their hand without touching the basin? Tiny bathroom faucets are the devil, and need to go away.