Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Finally got into this series after having the first game sitting in my library for ages. I feel kind of bad that autoresolve always assumes I will obliterate the enemy but resolving things manually always results in kinda dicey fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Det_no posted:

Finally got into this series after having the first game sitting in my library for ages. I feel kind of bad that autoresolve always assumes I will obliterate the enemy but resolving things manually always results in kinda dicey fights.

its something you can get better at
1) use the pause/slow feature
2) really learn the strength and weaknesses of your units
3) abuse the simple AIs tendencies

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

80% of my army in SFO Khalida Vortex is snake riders. And it works beautifully. That overlapping AoE venom spit is absolutely devastating versus anything not super armored.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

LO's new Skaven Reinforcement Mechanic is ridiculous. I just lost a battle in which I scored over 5K kills against a 1700 rat army because every time I'd route units, they'd heal back up to full unless I broke up my front line to chase them and finish them, which would then cause my units to get surrounded.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I use the Shorter Battles submod specifically because of my experience with LO Skaven. If they have poison Gutter Runners out, I don't bother with chasing them down and instead keep things tight so I don't get surrounded. Obviously this is the default state of Dwarfs without Gyrocopters.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Had an amazing Skaven moment in a campaign: I was playing HE, Skaven clan attacked me when my armies were further away, and immediately sieged. It looked like I would be able to defend the wall. Popped the ritual, 2 or 3 spiky dudes and 2 rat stacks appeared. I thought the siege at least will keep that settlement safe, but rat assholes lifted the siege, so 2 Chaos stacks went in and massacred the garrison. Now rats can resettle the ruins in peace :allears:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
What is LO? Is that a mod?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dravs posted:

What is LO? Is that a mod?

Lucky's Overhaul, formerly Choice & Consequence

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I played a few campaigns recently of both Lucky's and SFO and I gotta say Lucky's is way more enjoyable. The skill choices that actually help you build out themed armies is too good compared to whatever SFO is trying to do with heroes.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can confederate Boris Todbringer on turn 2 now if he has the underdog trait. He'll give you 700 gold for a pact, trade agreement and mil access on turn 1, then he'll sign a defensive pact followed by a military pact. On turn 2, he'll pay you 1500 gold to confederate, even on legendary. Also if you get the military alliance with him on turn 1 it makes your diplomatic power very strong and you'll get better deals out of other factions.

It's pretty rare for him to have that trait, but it was fun sending Boris Todbringers army on the first mission to destroy the rebels which he himself sent to raid Reikland.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve put hundreds of hours into this game but never actually played a Vortex campaign or the Skaven for more than like thirty turns. The quicker loads are nice but beyond that am I missing much in the Vortex campaign? Thinking about finally trying Skaven without a one minute turn ticket

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Frog Act posted:

I’ve put hundreds of hours into this game but never actually played a Vortex campaign or the Skaven for more than like thirty turns. The quicker loads are nice but beyond that am I missing much in the Vortex campaign? Thinking about finally trying Skaven without a one minute turn ticket

In my opinion, no not really. The map is a little different I guess and Vortex is fun enough, but I just don't find it as compelling as the Moral Empires sandbox.

There's a mod called "turn time destroyer" or something which reduced my end turn times by a lot, if you haven't tried that already. I'm not sure how compatible it is with other mods (I don't use overhauls or anything really, just minor quality of life stuff/extra skillpoints/etc) but it brought my ME campaign end turns down to like 30-45 seconds in the early game and I play on a laptop. As you discover more factions it creeps back up a bit but even now I feel like I'm rarely waiting longer than a minute. I kinda skimmed the guys explanation but basically it sort of "skips" what a lot of the minor factions are doing unless you've been exposed to them.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Frog Act posted:

A couple of quest battles, but aside from turn times like you said you're not really missing out on much by going Vortex. The thing is, for a lot of WH2 Lords you're not missing out on much that's in ME by going Vortex either. With basically any Lord that starts in the New World, I'm unlikely to carry on a campaign far enough to really mess with the Old World anyway. It's only for lords that start in the Southlands or Araby where there's really much of a chance I'll expand into the Old World.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

In my opinion, no not really. The map is a little different I guess and Vortex is fun enough, but I just don't find it as compelling as the Moral Empires sandbox.

There's a mod called "turn time destroyer" or something which reduced my end turn times by a lot, if you haven't tried that already. I'm not sure how compatible it is with other mods (I don't use overhauls or anything really, just minor quality of life stuff/extra skillpoints/etc) but it brought my ME campaign end turns down to like 30-45 seconds in the early game and I play on a laptop. As you discover more factions it creeps back up a bit but even now I feel like I'm rarely waiting longer than a minute. I kinda skimmed the guys explanation but basically it sort of "skips" what a lot of the minor factions are doing unless you've been exposed to them.

The Turn time destroyer is awesome, only works in ME and i'm pretty sure it doesn't work for horde armies. The mod draws a radius around the player, and kills all minor factions outside of that area. This means that if you start as someone in a corner, like kroq-gar or Teclis you will have very very few minor factions, however, all of the ones that impact your early-mid game are still there since they are close to your start.

My Teclis game was about turn 150 and still had 40 second turn times on a I5-6600k processor (slightly OC'd to 4.2ghz)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What do you mean "kills" all minor factions outside that radius? Like...does it make their settlements ruins instead, or, uhh? It just sounds odd to me.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Speaking of mods there's another fun one I found that lets you hire rogue armies (not the pirate ones though) as mercenaries, as long as you've encountered them on the campaign map. The upkeep is kinda high but it can be pretty fun. In my last playthrough as dwarfs I was able to hire Vashnaar's Conquest, which got me a stack of various chaos warriors, a black dragon, some cold one knights, and darkshards, led by a dreadlord to run around and fight orcs with me. Not bad.

The only catch is you can't recruit or trade any new units with the mercenary army so you have to be a bit protective with them if you want them to stick around.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What do you mean "kills" all minor factions outside that radius? Like...does it make their settlements ruins instead, or, uhh? It just sounds odd to me.

They get annexed by major powers

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Whorelord posted:

They get annexed by major powers

Yeah, which is generally what happens anyway over time. Like the other poster mentioned, most of the minor factions that you'd interact with in the first ~100 turns or so will still be alive.

One of the interesting side effects is that it means the other side of the world is generally fairly stable, but if you decide you want to invade you'll find out that these titanic empires have been slugging it out with each other for the past 150 turns and you'll be taking on a version of The Empire or whatever that's already sitting on 50ish provinces. In my experience it also usually means that Tyrion isn't quite as much of an rear end in a top hat, because with Naggarond/Har Ganeth up in the corner of the map, he's usually evenly balanced out by a Dark Elf threat that can actually threaten Ulthuan, and most of the start positions are close enough to his island that the minor elf factions aren't automatically annexed by him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whats with the rogue wandering pirate armies fleets? I never see them do anything. I've seen the AI sail little halfstacks past them. I've sailed full stacks past them. They never do anything.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Trying queek and the turn time thing definitely seems to be reducing waits, which is pretty rad, thanks thread. Which way do you expand first with him usually? Towards the Silver Host, south into Arachnos and Dwarfs, or north towards Karak? I didn't realize Queek also had to beeline for there lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Trying queek and the turn time thing definitely seems to be reducing waits, which is pretty rad, thanks thread. Which way do you expand first with him usually? Towards the Silver Host, south into Arachnos and Dwarfs, or north towards Karak? I didn't realize Queek also had to beeline for there lmao

The usual route is consolidating your home province, taking out the dwarfs and orcs immediately south of you then making your way north to Karak; some people prefer bumrushing Karak earlier but there’s no real reason for you to ever head east unless you really want to fight Khalida and Kroq-Gar for no major benefit

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Whats with the rogue wandering pirate armies fleets? I never see them do anything. I've seen the AI sail little halfstacks past them. I've sailed full stacks past them. They never do anything.

Defeating their fleets with the Vampire Coast armies unlocks regiments of renown. If you're not Vampirates they don't do anything really.They'll sometimes go hostile against your fleets if they think they can attack you with no consequence, like if you win a tough naval battle and are limping somewhere to replenish and they happen by you, but they will never attack settlements.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The usual route is consolidating your home province, taking out the dwarfs and orcs immediately south of you then making your way north to Karak; some people prefer bumrushing Karak earlier but there’s no real reason for you to ever head east unless you really want to fight Khalida and Kroq-Gar for no major benefit

There's gold and jewels in them thar hills

The eastern provinces can support a couple of good stacks and are essentially safe from attack (beware of spawning horde/rogue armies tho)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Defeating their fleets with the Vampire Coast armies unlocks regiments of renown. If you're not Vampirates they don't do anything really.They'll sometimes go hostile against your fleets if they think they can attack you with no consequence, like if you win a tough naval battle and are limping somewhere to replenish and they happen by you, but they will never attack settlements.
poo poo, I dont have VC.... I wonder if there is a mod to remove them so they stop wasting my turn times....

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

poo poo, I dont have VC.... I wonder if there is a mod to remove them so they stop wasting my turn times....

Wrong answer, vampire coast are a ton of fun and should be purchased by you

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
What is a good army setup for Gelt? Is it possible to do a massive handgunner line?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nash posted:

What is a good army setup for Gelt? Is it possible to do a massive handgunner line?
I had a hilarious amount of fun with like Gelt + Light Wizard + Fire Wizard + Captain + Warrior Priest + 8 Free Company + 4 Outriders + 1 Outrider Grenadier + the Reiksguard Regiment of Renown and the Free Company Regiment of Renown, but its more of a gimmick than probably actually any good. And its bad at sieges.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Nash posted:

at least 2 luminarks

have a steamtank or two mob up the enemy ai and drop overcasted final transmutations on the blob while luminarks and handgunners fire into it

gelt with all his items is just nasty, dude was melting the entire chaos horde by himself in my last empire game

i think by level 40 he was able to cast like 8 overcasted final transmutations

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Most of my Gelt armies just end up with
4 steam tanks
4 Helblaster Volley Guns
2 Demigryphs w/ halberds
2 Demigryphs
Fill rest with handguns.

You can trade things for luminarks if you want, but personally I find them too cumbersome so just bring more bullets instead. It can struggle a bit if the enemy has lots of large flying monsters though; might consider a holy netter if you run into those armies.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I like how later rituals can really put a spanner into your well oiled machine. As HE I've been kicking DE butt, expanding in that land south of snow zone. I've had my armies in Ulthuan to guard ritual sites and in mountains taking DE lands. So instead of Ulthuan 3 stacks of Chaos and 2 of Skaven land in the middle of my barely built up region. 4 razed cities later I got to murder the spiky assholes by shipping the armies from the front.
Rituals give decent bonuses, and finishing the last one usually makes you crazy powerful if you intend to complete the domination campaign. But the more you expand the less likely you are to stop the chaos and rat armies before they mess your cities.

One weird thing that should work differently: if you raze a city it should simply stop the ritual, now you can simply resettle the ritual site.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I love how an entire Norsca campaign can get derailed by one bad event.... -5 Public Order in all provinces = Chaos rebellions everywhere. All of a sudden you go from positive fifty income to negative three thousand and fifteen settlements to ten (because they all got razed by Chaos armies full of invincible infantry and chariots).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I guess it depends on how much of a safety margin you've built up. If you were on +100 +0/turn you'd have 40 turns to deal with the problem.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My SFO Exiles of Nehek Vortex campaign has become very !!!FUN!!! in that my northern border is being constantly assailed by a rogue army of endless spiders. My favorite tomb king units by far are the Heirotitan and big sphinx boy

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fangz posted:

I guess it depends on how much of a safety margin you've built up. If you were on +100 +0/turn you'd have 40 turns to deal with the problem.
Have you played Norsca? They have poo poo for Public Order to begin with, Hard makes it worse, and they dont get Edicts/Decrees/whatever they are called for a per-region bonus of choice. Everything was already at least -40 or so and was on the path to stabilizing to zero (because more buildings means more public order). It was only turn 18 but it took a lot of hard work and close battles to get that far so it was disappointing to have RNG that I as a player had zero way to prevent or counter be the wrecking ball that stopped me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Norsca is better treated as an horde army with the ability to create homebases. Your domestic economy blows, so your real income is sacking and loot from battles. You don't even really need the territory for the victory conditions if you're going that far.

[edit]When playing Norsca, Chaos or Beastmen I usually aim at having an income in the negatives with about five turns worth of upkeep in the bank. I understand this was pretty early in the game, so you probably don't have that bank mounted up, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Helps to set up garrisons where you think rebellions will happen a lot, Norsca has some decent public order buildings too if you can fit them in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZearothK posted:

Norsca is better treated as an horde army with the ability to create homebases. Your domestic economy blows, so your real income is sacking and loot from battles. You don't even really need the territory for the victory conditions if you're going that far.

[edit]When playing Norsca, Chaos or Beastmen I usually aim at having an income in the negatives with about five turns worth of upkeep in the bank. I understand this was pretty early in the game, so you probably don't have that bank mounted up, though.
I've read that and tried it but I felt like it was less fun and left my limited 'homebase' vulnerable to attack by other Norscan factions. With it so easy to confederate other Norscan factions and the fact that there are buildings that reduce army upkeep, increase research speed, increase raiding income, and I think maybe one or two other minor things, having a big homeland was more fun and satisfying to me. That was on normal, though, and even on that because of the limited income and limited ability to manage Public Order it was difficult, but not impossible, to manage the homeland's public order. Now that I feel like I'm better at the game and I started a new game with Festag being released, it has been a different story...then some random event where -5 public order everywhere hit, which just sunk everything too far too fast.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Helps to set up garrisons where you think rebellions will happen a lot, Norsca has some decent public order buildings too if you can fit them in.
They only have one public order building that I am aware of and as I said it was turn 18 when the event happened - all my settlements were too small to build the public order building (which only adds 2 to public order BTW) or garrison building, and my economy too weak to afford more armies. The killer part was that you dont know where the rebellion will hit and Norsca is huuuuuge, otherwise I may have tried to tough it out / would have been able to fight some of the Chaos rebellions in the field.

edit: also the garrison building wont help enough against the Chaos armies that spawn with their crazy good chariots, hell cannons, and heavily armored infantry.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 30, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The killer part was that you dont know where the rebellion will hit

They always show up at the capital, if you don't have the capital rebels are going to burn down any unguarded minors, it's best to always take the capital before rebellions show.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They always show up at the capital, if you don't have the capital rebels are going to burn down any unguarded minors, it's best to always take the capital before rebellions show.
:suicide:

Thank you for the info. This is why I post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What's gonna be my best bet as Throgg for early units to fight chariots? Surtha Ek showed up with ten chariots and a mammoth and butchered my starting army. It's turn 7 or so, so I just have access to marauders, spearmen, and javelins. IIRC javelins were really strong at least a few patches ago but it seems like they're not gonna be the best bet for fighting chariots. Do I want to spam spears or am I better off waiting for hounds?