Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Vikar Jerome posted:

isnt evil within 2 open world horror? not played it, but how does that work?

It's less straight up open world and more open-but-directed. There's decently sized hubs that connect into structured story segments that last a while. It's all around a really well designed, well paced game. That and RE2Remake are some of the best single player action adventures in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I watched the Forgotten Firearms guy shoot the VP70 and good lord that 3-round burst was trash. I mean, it's impressive at how fast they come out but the spread was incredibly wide. It's appropriate since I found the 3-round burst to be pretty worthless on anything less than bosses but even then those that you fought required precision aiming and you didn't get that using that mode of fire.

Maybe RE2 was partially funded by H&K.

Another thing to take away from that video is that in game they slowed down the RoF of the burst. In the video the burst is indistinguishable from a single shot.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wanderer posted:

There are a handful of things I like in the old S.D. Perry novels, and one of them is that Leon has the Desert Eagle in his car at the start because it was a graduation present from his dad. "Wow! An incredibly impractical .50 hand cannon to blow poo poo up with! Thanks, Dad!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vom9iLDfb-Y&t=32s

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
I'm also glad they didn't make the upgraded shotgun go from a M870 pump shotgun into a M1100 semi auto shotgun. Very cool as a kid, but totally not possible without getting a new gun :downs: Speaking of which, I wonder if the damage per shotgun blast is due to pellet or just range from impact in the remake. When I was fighting the last G form in the lab, I wasn't taking any chances and went point blank. Sounds like a fun weekend if I can build up the supply of shotgun shells.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man I have to find my copy of the old RE2 novel. I haven’t read since I was like 13.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My interpretation of the letter was it was just made up by whoever as a front, but I guess yeah the coded part makes more sense.

I like Nemesis as an expansion pack, but if 3 becomes an expansion, then 4 becomes 3, and then the universe implodes. steroid Chris Kijuju adventure would be Resident Evil 4!

If you need to blow off steam after being too stressed out by this, Max Payne 3 was one of the best single player campaigns I've played in the last 7 or 8 years. (Especially if you want free reign to shoot literally everything)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That Kotaku review is so bad it crashed my phone

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Imagine Parasite Eve with this kind of combat, plus Aya being a goddamn wizard. It would be amazing.
I don't know if melee durability would be enough to curb old habits of beating a thousand crows to death with a +Steal nightstick :downs:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Anyone has a link for an uncommented PT/Walkthrough of Resi 1 and 2 original playstation version?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Section Z posted:

I don't know if melee durability would be enough to curb old habits of beating a thousand crows to death with a +Steal nightstick :downs:

Sup trash farming buddy. Gotta get the bazillion of them in your limited inventory to get that super good gun!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

haldolium posted:

Anyone has a link for an uncommented PT/Walkthrough of Resi 1 and 2 original playstation version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYmeNHhwQd4

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How are Acid rounds overall? They're great against Lickers but I've not tried them against zombies or anything else really. I've kept them in reserve for them Lickers I wanted to clear out. I have a surplus of them but I'm still not done with Claire A, so I'm curious to know if I should keep my stock up or use the gunpowder for SMG ammo or something.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jimbot posted:

How are Acid rounds overall? They're great against Lickers but I've not tried them against zombies or anything else really. I've kept them in reserve for them Lickers I wanted to clear out. I have a surplus of them but I'm still not done with Claire A, so I'm curious to know if I should keep my stock up or use the gunpowder for SMG ammo or something.

tbh I never did find an enemy that they seemed better to use on than flame (If get a direct hit the flame rounds seem to also 1 shot lickers)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Basticle posted:

tbh I never did find an enemy that they seemed better to use on than flame (If get a direct hit the flame rounds seem to also 1 shot lickers)

You use them on Lickers because the opposite is true; you'll want to save those flame rounds and acid works just fine.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Voice acting in this game is good. Just kinda weird direction at times I guess? Clair's awkward crushing on Leon at the gate seems so weird, but at least it is funny. I wonder if there was a lot more that just got cut for some reason. Seems like they knew each other well by the time, rather than the short car ride.

Marvin's VA and all the animation on him is top notch stuff, even the other characters were pretty good when interacting with him, like watching a decent movie.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The only voice acting I found lacking was Leon has a few lines that he sort of just mumbles and sounds bored.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Broose posted:

Voice acting in this game is good. Just kinda weird direction at times I guess? Clair's awkward crushing on Leon at the gate seems so weird, but at least it is funny. I wonder if there was a lot more that just got cut for some reason. Seems like they knew each other well by the time, rather than the short car ride.

With the way I played that section, I figured it was her being apologetically nice since I left Leon standing at the gate in the pouring rain for about 20 minutes.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Claire has a quick awkward crush on Leon because she has eyes :colbert:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Psychepath posted:

With the way I played that section, I figured it was her being apologetically nice since I left Leon standing at the gate in the pouring rain for about 20 minutes.

She also bolts the front gate on his rear end when she arrives.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I’ve found they are pretty great for boss fights or melting off all zombie limbs in a hallway, but aren’t as immediately fatal. You can hold a bunch and I found them far more useful than the smg, myself

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished Leon A, hell of a ride. Loving it. So for the sake of story, should I do Claire 2nd Run or New Game Claire as a continuation of Leon A?

Vikar Jerome posted:

i can see them remaking 3 from scratch, maybe a mini open world type of thing with the city. have nemesis play cat and mouse games with you, full on troll mode, to distinguish from mr.x. two characters, jill and barry. have barry do some outbreak stuff maybe.

isnt evil within 2 open world horror? not played it, but how does that work?

I really liked Evil Within 2 and thought it breathed fresh air into the open world formula. I would highly reccomend it if you finish RE2 and are looking for something else in that flavor - I burned through EW1 with a trainer just to get the main story beats and it made me really appreciate a few moments in EW2 a great deal more. I would love to see a Resident Evil set around the time of 2/3/CV with an open world Racoon City to explore and gently caress up zombies in. The dialogue in Evil Within is on the same level as Resident Evil, to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zigTx34rpsw

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 31, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Blight Runner posted:

I'm also glad they didn't make the upgraded shotgun go from a M870 pump shotgun into a M1100 semi auto shotgun.
Seeing Leon get thrown around with his arms all swinging like a ragdoll after firing the M1100 still makes me wince. Rookie indeed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Taintrunner posted:

The dialogue is on the same level as Resident Evil, to boot.

It's not fair to say that and use a jokey Easter Egg as your evidence.

Leave fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 31, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Just finished Leon A, hell of a ride. Loving it. So for the sake of story, should I do Claire 2nd Run or New Game Claire as a continuation of Leon A?

The story in both runs is basically the same with the exception of the ending. If you want to get used to the weapons Claire gets in a slightly easier scenario then Claire A is good for that but otherwise I’d go with Claire B so you get the ending.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Taintrunner posted:

You don't really get the entire ending until you play through a 2nd Run.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t think I ever said it but I was weirdly happy when the robot arm animation appeared in the lab. That was such a weird staple of every game you could play in the original.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t think I ever said it but I was weirdly happy when the robot arm animation appeared in the lab. That was such a weird staple of every game you could play in the original.

Oh god yes that was so weirdly satisfying, even the audio cues were spot on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Lol yeah, and it's one of the few animations you can't skip, so even on speedier runs you gotta soak that one all the way in.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

Lol yeah, and it's one of the few animations you can't skip, so even on speedier runs you gotta soak that one all the way in.

You can definitely skip that one. There's a few seconds when you put in the cartridge and it spits it back out that always play, but the arm part counts as a cutscene.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dewgy posted:

You can definitely skip that one. There's a few seconds when you put in the cartridge and it spits it back out that always play, but the arm part counts as a cutscene.

Whoa...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone worked hard on that arm so you should make like the original and sit there and loving enjoy it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What's the deal with Mendoza's email to Li about Susie?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

codo27 posted:

What's the deal with Mendoza's email to Li about Susie?

He's dying as a result of the greenhouse outbreak, so he's feeling reflective as he emails his old friend.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

I’ve found they are pretty great for boss fights or melting off all zombie limbs in a hallway, but aren’t as immediately fatal. You can hold a bunch and I found them far more useful than the smg, myself

I can confirm this. Wish I didn't make so much SMG ammo now. Gonna do Claire B first, I think. I had a far easier time with her than I did Leon, to be honest. Dunno, I'll have to see. I found her exclusive Boss fight better than Leon's. That stuff was easier to dodge around and you got yourself something extra good for it.

They kept the original A ending theme in there, so I have high hopes for the original B ending theme.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zombies can still bite you without one arm but they can’t grab you right? Or is that both arms? Does that attack do full damage?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

finished my first playthrough!

mentioned earlier in the thread but i never played the original game, so this was my first foray into any game pre-RE4. ended up liking this a lot. didn't think most of the boss fights were great, though the spectacle of birkin 3 was pretty good even if he was obnoxious to fight. also found myself really annoyed at just how aggressive Mr X can be, but ultimately through all these god drat memes i fell in love with the character regardless so it's a bit of a wash (i appreciate the hustle i just need you to gently caress off)

super satisfying game to play. will definitely try Claire B at some point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess it seems pedantic but this game isn't pre-RE4. That game came out 15 years ago

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone better make a video doing song covers on that gadget from the lab

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In Training posted:

I guess it seems pedantic but this game isn't pre-RE4. That game came out 15 years ago

u know what i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo Chief Irons is loving nuts.