Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rule changes from USGA. Notable ones:

quote:

No penalty for accidentally moving your ball or ball-marker on the putting green.

Your relief area for dropping a ball is a fixed size of either one or two club-lengths using the longest club in your bag, other than your putter.

Your ball is lost if not found in three minutes (rather than the previous five minutes).

Relief allowed without penalty for an embedded ball anywhere (except in sand) in the “general area” (a new term for “through the green”).

Relaxed Rules relating to loose impediments and touching the ground in a bunker.

Extremely Good Ones:

quote:

It is recommended that you play “ready golf” and make each stroke in no more than 40 seconds.

A new “Maximum Score” form of stroke play is recognized, where your score for a hole is capped at a max score.

The use of [distance measuring devices] is allowed unless a Local Rule has been adopted prohibiting their use.

The USGA has plenty of issues but I gotta give them credit on really emphasizing things that help pace of play.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
O.B. should be treated like a lake, not 2 freaking penalty shots to drop in the fairway. I play a lot of courses here in NorCal that have solid houses on BOTH sides of the fairway along with other ones where it's soo burned out and dry you can hit the fairway and still roll in, it's crap!

Putting should be 10 seconds max, no aim point crap or dumbass Chambo breaking out his protractor and notepad....lock and load get it over with. Make the greens a standard 10 max as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 10, 2019

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I’m tempted to make some laminated 2019 Rules Changes sheets and stick them everywhere at my home course, and “accidentally” include the 40 second shot clock as a new rule instead of just a suggestion.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I’m tempted to make some laminated 2019 Rules Changes sheets and stick them everywhere at my home course, and “accidentally” include the 40 second shot clock as a new rule instead of just a suggestion.

god yeah. Either you obey that or you let EVERYONE through.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, 40 seconds would be ideal.

I don't understand how golfers can take more than 4 hours to play 18. Getting the first tee time, solo, all winter has been a dream. Hit ball, go to ball, plan shot, hit shot, go to ball. I miss the social piece, the talking thru the round, but not that much.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Don't you live in L.A. where there are 8 minutes between tee times and 3 groups stacked up on every hole?

I keep hearing about "Waaah! Golf is dying" but courses are packed and rates keep going up. I will say however, that driving ranges shutting down all over loving sucks. The only decent range near me is an hour round trip and is all mats anyway. I also now see morons dragging their bags to Top Golf to "practice" around here (east of Sacramento, CA) for fucks sake.

We need more 9 hole courses for sure too, but apparently they are not "profitable" enough for their footprint.

On the other hand, golf is awesome if you can afford a private club.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Keyser_Soze posted:

Don't you live in L.A. where there are 8 minutes between tee times and 3 groups stacked up on every hole?

I keep hearing about "Waaah! Golf is dying" but courses are packed and rates keep going up. I will say however, that driving ranges shutting down all over loving sucks. The only decent range near me is an hour round trip and is all mats anyway. I also now see morons dragging their bags to Top Golf to "practice" around here (east of Sacramento, CA) for fucks sake.

We need more 9 hole courses for sure too, but apparently they are not "profitable" enough for their footprint.

On the other hand, golf is awesome if you can afford a private club.

I have basically 4 choices of accessible courses that work for my schedule. My local course, terrible condition, badly managed and maintained, but never busy so I can always walk on, and never more than 4 hours. Fox Hollow, a decent track, 3 9's, but my last round I quit after 15 holes at 4 hours 45 minutes, and the round before was just under 5 hours. Unresponsive rangers, and the course response is, "you were behind the men's/women's group, so there's nothing we can do." Homestead, a par 64 course, well maintained, but at 4:30 per round on a short course, painfully slow, and again, the men's and women's groups dominate the tee times, and cannot be forced to comply with expected play times. Then, where I normally play, Fossil Trace. An easy scoring course, extremely well maintained, and tee times went from 8 minutes to 10 minutes, so play times 4 to 4:30.

I don't like always playing the same course, but I can't give my business to courses whose attitude is, if you aren't in one of our weekly groups, we don't care.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

O.B. should be treated like a lake, not 2 freaking penalty shots to drop in the fairway. I play a lot of courses here in NorCal that have solid houses on BOTH sides of the fairway along with other ones where it's soo burned out and dry you can hit the fairway and still roll in, it's crap!

I don't mind the 2 shots, it could speed up the game as you just take the drop in the middle rather than provisional. It's a bit of a bail out but it is an optional local rule, our club isn't taking it up but some others are running trials for a few months and getting feedback.

Our club has tried to handle the transition as well as they can with a guy outside the proshop for all competitions in January to answer questions and hand out the new book.

The only issue I've come across was a debate about the new OB rule which we sorted at the turn with the pro.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

I have basically 4 choices of accessible courses that work for my schedule. My local course, terrible condition, badly managed and maintained, but never busy so I can always walk on, and never more than 4 hours. Fox Hollow, a decent track, 3 9's, but my last round I quit after 15 holes at 4 hours 45 minutes, and the round before was just under 5 hours. Unresponsive rangers, and the course response is, "you were behind the men's/women's group, so there's nothing we can do." Homestead, a par 64 course, well maintained, but at 4:30 per round on a short course, painfully slow, and again, the men's and women's groups dominate the tee times, and cannot be forced to comply with expected play times. Then, where I normally play, Fossil Trace. An easy scoring course, extremely well maintained, and tee times went from 8 minutes to 10 minutes, so play times 4 to 4:30.

I don't like always playing the same course, but I can't give my business to courses whose attitude is, if you aren't in one of our weekly groups, we don't care.

I would love to play in Colorado/Utah and I'm going right to Fox Hollow just for a $7 cheeseburger! I thought you were in SoCal for some reason.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmBBRZTCk8

yeah phil!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I still hold that Phil's one of the best goddamn short game players ever. Guy is just a loving wizard with sand and lob wedges.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I wish someone would invent shot tracer Oakley's for golf, I can't see the drat ball at the driving range anymore! :corsair:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
No-one at my course has properly used the 3 minute ball search rule. It is nice how they now take 5 minutes instead of 10 :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Can someone explain the reasoning for this rule?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...paign=editorial

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can someone explain the reasoning for this rule?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...paign=editorial

As I recall, this is something down to coaching, that basically you're not allowed as the caddy to help align the player.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It’s because of players on the LPGA looking like kids who can’t aim. Paula Creamer tried to stop doing it in 2017 and referred to “being a big girl and lining myself up.”

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

So much for Justin Rose's switch to Honma being a big deal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OH poo poo THE WASTE MANAGEMENT OPEN IS THIS WEEK YOU GUYS HELL YEAH :munch:

soppi
Jan 27, 2019

Shrapnig posted:

So much for Justin Rose's switch to Honma being a big deal.

Is Honma supposed to be considered special? I started paying attention to golf again after a 10 year break and when I looked at Justin's "winning bag" on some website I had to google what Honma was. A lot has happened in the last 10 years so I'm completely out of the loop, but when I looked that driver up they were $800-$1300. Are they trying to be the new big thing/have they been around for a while?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

soppi posted:

Is Honma supposed to be considered special? I started paying attention to golf again after a 10 year break and when I looked at Justin's "winning bag" on some website I had to google what Honma was. A lot has happened in the last 10 years so I'm completely out of the loop, but when I looked that driver up they were $800-$1300. Are they trying to be the new big thing/have they been around for a while?

It's a high-end Japanese brand that's been around for 60 years. Handmade clubs, custom fit to each player etc/etc.

See also, Miura

PXG is trying to be like them I suppose.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 31, 2019

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

soppi posted:

They're a fancy boutique Japanese brand like Epon or Miura.

It wasn't so much that he switched his clubs to Honma it's more that he left TaylorMade entirely after the season he just had especially since he changed his driver and putter.

soppi
Jan 27, 2019
Oh. When I say "paying attention again" I guess I mean "10 years ago I played every day and would sometimes watch golf for a bit when it was on". I've also never heard of Epon or Miura, so shows how much I know hah.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

soppi posted:

Oh. When I say "paying attention again" I guess I mean "10 years ago I played every day and would sometimes watch golf for a bit when it was on". I've also never heard of Epon or Miura, so shows how much I know hah.

Miura was the company that was rumored to be making Tigers Titleist/Nike clubs

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
The former TaylorMade CEO is now working for Honma, so I'm sure he played a role in spending boatloads of money to sign Rose.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

pmac posted:

The former TaylorMade CEO is now working for Honma, so I'm sure he played a role in spending boatloads of money to sign Rose.

Oh wow I didn't know that.

Ya I'm 100% sure that's what happened. He probably told Rose that they'll make him whatever type of clubs he wants and backed up a dump truck of money to his house.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Oh wow I didn't know that.

Ya I'm 100% sure that's what happened. He probably told Rose that they'll make him whatever type of clubs he wants and backed up a dump truck of money to his house.

The irons and wedges he's using are Honma prototypes so they're probably just clones of whatever Taylormade irons and wedges he'd been using.

He also dropped Adidas as his apparel sponsor in favor of Bonobos which is a bit odd but their golf apparel is pretty stylish looking and doesn't appear to be vanity sized for fat Americans like most Nike/Adidas/Under Armour stuff.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
The irony is that Walmart owns Bonobos!

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

soppi posted:

I was recently over in China and played a few games where I got paired up with some local businessmen. They either played Honma or Glorie which seems to be a higher end Japanese OEM owned by Taylor made using their tech. So much gold, club heads, shafts, grips and bags.

Homnas market is Asia and boy do they have a solid market share it would seem, the most common western brand was Titleist I don't think I saw a single other player with Ping in their bag which seemed strange to me as from what I saw on the course some of those Homna guys could use a nice G series shovel.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
ive played with honmas and assumed they were just rich old man vanity clubs. really light shafts and painted gold. Literally the lamest golf clubs I’ve ever seen

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
you guys must not watch the ladies, Honma has been all over their bags for years.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Keyser_Soze posted:

you guys must not watch the ladies, Honma has been all over their bags for years.

You answered your own question there

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Lol rickie choking away the tourney right now..

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Angry Asian posted:

Lol rickie choking away the tourney right now..

This may be a long bow hoewever given the inundation of my facebook feed featuring Ricky's swap to the TP5's this is down to the extra raw power of the new TP5x that's ruined his gapping.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dimebag posted:

This may be a long bow hoewever given the inundation of my facebook feed featuring Ricky's swap to the TP5's this is down to the extra raw power of the new TP5x that's ruined his gapping.

I like TP5X balls but I do feel like sometimes they jump off a wedge with lower than normal spin and gently caress up your distance. Spin can vary so much from just a little grass or water on your club though that it's hard to really say the ball is responsible, but it is something I have noticed over the last couple years.

Ricky is still choking this away though even with that supremely unlucky ball into the hazard.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just DVR'd through the last 2 hours and that rule is dumb as poo poo, gently caress you, golf. :fuckoff:

Glad Fowler closed it out anyway. :yayclod:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I love Ricky, glad he won.

Had a good chuckle at Sergio going crazy mad in that bunker. Can't find the video but it was hilarious.

soppi
Jan 27, 2019
The video of Sergio in the bunker almost felt like an old silent film comedy of a grown man pretending to be a 5 year old throwing a tantrum and splashing sand everywhere. It just needs the music put on top and it'd be perfect.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Sucks that there’s not much info about Sergio’s DQ. He damaged five greens apparently and players in the groups behind him complained. One picture on Twitter that is floating around shows a bit of a scrape on one green and somebody said he slammed his putter into another green but there’s no video or anything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rory and NBC are launching some kinda oddball hybrid online video service that includes rounds of golf and stuff

I.. can't even really describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/introducing-golfpass-rory-mcilroy posted:

GolfPass members receive a free round of golf each month, good at a choice of 7,000 GolfNow partner courses in 26 countries, including TPC Sawgrass, PGA National, Pasatiempo Golf Club and Royal Portrush (site of this year’s Open Championship).

One round of golf per month for $99/year makes zero sense. There must be some ridiculous blackout dates and weird conditions around that part of the deal. Seems like not the worst idea until they start raising the price...I think?