Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Rage is fine for a couple of hours. It just doesn't really go anywhere after that, at least for a long enough time to make me give up on it. It feels like one of those modern TV shows that strings you along with constant cliffhangers that have no payoff. I got tired of waiting around for it to finally show its hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

skasion posted:

$25 for a two hour game is horseshit sorry

The entire story mode is a tutorial for the survival mode.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pairofdimes posted:

That got Sin as well. At release it had extremely long load times (like minutes) and I don't think you could actually finish it. If I remember right there was tube in the labs that was supposed to let you through and it wouldn't move, leaving you stuck without cheating to go through it. I also remember that the patches changed the save formats so you had to restart the game when you patched.

SiN's original save system had an issue where the save files would frequently bloat in size to 300-400 megabytes. Considering both the slowness and small size of the hard drives of the day, this was a massive issue.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Here's my bad opinion.

I think Wolfenstein: The New Colossus was fine.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
You're right, it is bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's merely OK; exciting & stupid during a first playthrough when you're seeing the cutscenes for the first time, ultimately disappointing compared to the first game, which itself lost some standing of its own due to games like DOOM and Titanfall 2 coming out in the intervening period.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Rage is fine for a couple of hours. It just doesn't really go anywhere after that, at least for a long enough time to make me give up on it. It feels like one of those modern TV shows that strings you along with constant cliffhangers that have no payoff. I got tired of waiting around for it to finally show its hand.

Rage wasn't bad, although it's not particularly memorable. Even though the shooting is 100% action instead of the rpg-lite stuff in Borderlands, I keep jumbling up my memories of the two games. Deserts, ruins, and dunebuggies all blur together for me.

I am interested in the sequel, because if they're able to identify and fix the flaws of the first, it can be something genuinely good.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fallom posted:

The slow animations ended up grating on me so much that I stopped trying to steal anything once I had gotten all the upgrades I wanted. It felt strange to realize that I no longer wanted to steal in a Thief game.

Ultimately the game felt like a bundle of half baked concepts and more sad than truly terrible. The hideout could’ve been cool but you don’t really do anything with it besides fill it with special loot that amounted to small variations on boring pieces of jewelry (and some inexplicable and bizarre portraits of nude furries). The overworld could’ve been cool but instead of encouraging fun sneaky shortcuts it ended up being a bunch of winding pathways punctuated by guards you were better off just killing or sprinting past. They tried to recreate Shalebridge Cradle but it felt weak. The audio system was the only part of the game I felt was truly broken, though, so I guess it has that going for it.

There was one interesting level in the game that happened to be similar to one in Dishonored 2 but aside from that everything was fairly bland. I’m really surprised you liked Thi4f more than either of the Dishonored games, tbh. I don’t think there’s anything in Thi4f those games don’t do better.

Trying to control my word count more lately, so "lol this is a drive-thru" I get it. I should have said that I meant that I really like Dishonored (which I did say), I just like Thourf a bit more in a few key personal ways, and I like DH a bit more just as an objectively better game. Just going by my preferences, I walked away from Thief 4 with more satisfaction going by my tastes. I just never quite got the "successor to Thief" vibes that people have used to try to sell me on DH. To me, Dishonored doesn't scratch the Thief itch, and the magic powers take a lot of the appeal of the original games completely out of the equation. I liked that I was a human in the original Thief games, slowly creeping around, with shadows and planning being my biggest tools.

I agree with people that daintily picking every little thing out of every little drawer was a bit much. They could have decreased the amount of loot and increased the value or something, or maybe have a power that lets the game's little focus mode highlight what containers actually had loot in them. Or have a "Hold E to loot all" button that could open up a container and have you snatch everything in one quicker, more fluid motion (or just to pick up little stacks of coins and stuff next to each other more quickly). Thourf is also just blatantly unfinished, with a bad plot that forces you into some boring story stretches here and there. Navigating through the world gets really old and is not intuitive.

But I did like the feeling of climbing up to a second story window, creeping in, rifling through drawers and daintily pulling out valuables or cutting pictures out of frames to stuff into my pockets. There were big scores that varying degrees of effort to get and little scores, where you couldn't really ignore one for the other, and being a thorough thief just rewarded you all the more. It just felt cool to me, and just on its own, that's what I want a Thief successor to be. I like the swoop move that clears out a lot of problems with movement without giving you something that's super-human or immersion breaking, too.

I'd like to see a game like DUSK but for Thief fans. The first two Thief games are still fun, and an indie dev could make a simple-looking game that could feel like a successor to Thief. As for AAA, I'd like to see a Thief game with a setup inspired by the past two Hitman games. No stupid plot that throws you into late game bullshit against monsters in places where you can't steal anything or having combat-focused sections. Just missions to steal stuff, with ways to mix up objectives by adding in optional side objectives, different scenarios, etc. Figuring out how to bring value to what you collect would be difficult, but there are smart people who could figure something out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Plan Z posted:

I'd like to see a game like DUSK but for Thief fans. The first two Thief games are still fun, and an indie dev could make a simple-looking game that could feel like a successor to Thief. As for AAA, I'd like to see a Thief game with a setup inspired by the past two Hitman games. No stupid plot that throws you into late game bullshit against monsters in places where you can't steal anything or having combat-focused sections. Just missions to steal stuff, with ways to mix up objectives by adding in optional side objectives, different scenarios, etc. Figuring out how to bring value to what you collect would be difficult, but there are smart people who could figure something out.

Maybe you should check out The Dark Mod: http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

I haven't tried it yet but it's gotten a lot of buzz.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I played it. It's real good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fallom posted:

Maybe you should check out The Dark Mod: http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

I haven't tried it yet but it's gotten a lot of buzz.

It's basically The Real Thief 4 (in terms of being Thief 1/2 but with a modern engine and some neat new mechanics), but it's somewhat let down by the fact that there's no baked-in campaign of a certifiable quality level, and instead you're left to go install a bunch of fan missions, some of which are of dubious quality. Also, none of Stephen Russell's dulcet tones.

Definitely worth an install though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ponzicar posted:

I am interested in the sequel, because if they're able to identify and fix the flaws of the first, it can be something genuinely good.

Well I have bad news. They're not even trying. Rage 2 is just Bulletstorm 2 but they're calling it Rage 2 for some reason - at least judging by everything they've shown so far.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

Well I have bad news. They're not even trying. Rage 2 is just Bulletstorm 2 but they're calling it Rage 2 for some reason - at least judging by everything they've shown so far.

Good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skasion posted:

$25 for a two hour game is horseshit sorry

That would make it an overpriced game, not a poo poo game. And considering some people are richer than others that's not a universal dealbreaker.

Don't reduce everything to binary good/bad.

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah it looks nothing like Rage 1 which is why I may actually buy it lol

But because ~Marketing~ it has to be a sequel to a game that studio had nothing to do with.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Superhot and Superhot VR both introduce mechanics mid-campaign that significantly change the game for the worse.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

DatonKallandor posted:

Rage 2 is some Mad Max game they were making recycled.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Rage 2 is Bulletstorm 2? I thought the new Farcry was going to be Bulletstorm 2? How many Bulletstorms do we need? (1).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No, the new Far Cry is this: https://giant.gfycat.com/ExcitableLikelyChickadee.webm

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

So the new addition to the Ubisoft Formula is to make all their enemies giant bullet sponges?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

RAGE 1 was good overall I guess if I could sum it up:

Pros:

-Still has fantastic animation. It not only adds to characters' appeal when they talk, but also makes combat against agile enemies cool and fun.
-Just about every gun feels, looks, and performs nicely. They're satisfying to use and are all useful in some way.
-I never felt sub-optimal. All the gadgets/abilities felt and played well and were useful in their own way (save for some of the crossbow bolts).
-The world felt well-realized and is something I can get into. Helps that characters, while not all are memorable, are usually appealing.

Cons:

-It's not so much the length as the story relative to it. It definitely feels like the game world was supposed to be bigger and the game itself many hours longer. You don't get much on the enemy faction on the latter half and the "point of no return" warning felt so out of left field I assumed it meant that the mission was going to result in the base destroyed or something, but not the straight-up end. I don't even remember what I had to do to end the game beyond flipping some switches. I never played the DLC that supposedly added to the story.
-Re-visiting old mission areas. Definitely a sign of padding.
-I always feel like there could just be less breaks in FPS combat, and some more rooms with challenge added. I just mostly remember the game as walking down a hallway, seeing two or three enemies, killing them, then moving on.
-MEGA TEXTURES

I'm interested in RAGE 2 if it plays as well as they try to show it, but it's still definitely a hard "wait and see," especially with a packed early 2019.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Plan Z posted:

RAGE 1 was good overall I guess if I could sum it up:

Cons:

-MEGA TEXTURES

What's wrong with mega textures? (except the bug where it doesn't load?)

Seems like that's all of Ubi's AAA games now.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 1, 2019

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Flannelette posted:

It was simply a technology a little too ahead of its time for some people. It didn't quite have the storage space nor the static storage speed for it to be as seamless as it needed to be. So naturally RAGE suffers from being the first to try it at the scale it did.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Odd Mutant posted:

So the new addition to the Ubisoft Formula is to make all their enemies giant bullet sponges?

you aren't kidding that's a lot of drat shots on a normal dude

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I've heard complaints about bullet sponges, and fortunate never played those games. But holy poo poo that is comically bad.

Unpopular opinion, but one I will stand by: If you have damage number popups, your game is probably poorly designed.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

you aren't kidding that's a lot of drat shots on a normal dude

Division worked well with people so they're porting it over to AC and FarCry it seems.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Flannelette posted:

The nature of how these textures work means the game world has to remain extremely static in terms of lighting etc.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lambert posted:

The nature of how these textures work means the game world has to remain extremely static in terms of lighting etc.

In Rage (and Quake Wars) yeah but they get better with each new game that uses it, probably just hardware good enough now.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I really hope the player has options to change enemy HP. That's Borderlands levels of sponge. :blastu:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
These apparently show up when you take too long clearing an outpost. At least that's what a review I read claimed.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Serephina posted:

I've heard complaints about bullet sponges, and fortunate never played those games. But holy poo poo that is comically bad.

Unpopular opinion, but one I will stand by: If you have damage number popups, your game is probably poorly designed.

Eh, it's useful for rpgish stuff where you have to gauge whether the smg+2 is better than the assault rifle+1.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ponzicar posted:

Eh, it's useful for rpgish stuff where you have to gauge whether the smg+2 is better than the assault rifle+1.

That's the thing! You can shove all the numbers you want on the guns, but having numerical popups is still a sign of poor design (imo): why can't the player equip the item of +1, use it a bit, and be able to tell 'by feel' if its better or worse? Even the horrible vertical-scaling trash heap that was Diablo2's itemization didn't do popups; you just hit stuff and saw if their hp bars where dropping fast enough.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Serephina posted:

That's the thing! You can shove all the numbers you want on the guns, but having numerical popups is still a sign of poor design (imo): why can't the player equip the item of +1, use it a bit, and be able to tell 'by feel' if its better or worse? Even the horrible vertical-scaling trash heap that was Diablo2's itemization didn't do popups; you just hit stuff and saw if their hp bars where dropping fast enough.

No thanks. Instead of wasting my time with a stopwatch to see if my guns are working, how about having a convenient number pop up to tell me how much damage is being done?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

No thanks. Instead of wasting my time with a stopwatch to see if my guns are working, how about having a convenient number pop up to tell me how much damage is being done?

That reminds me of the early days of Everquest, where the devs were very quiet about internal mechanics, so people had to analyze hours of combat logs to learn stuff about the game. They ended up discovering that the character stats that didn't have a directly visible effect (like +1 vitality = +10 hp) did almost nothing and were a complete waste of time to raise. The effects the manual and strategy guides said they had were complete lies.

So yeah, if the game gives you small improvements that you have to analyze and optimize, the numbers are useful. Pointless in a straight up action game though.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ponzicar posted:

That reminds me of the early days of Everquest, where the devs were very quiet about internal mechanics, so people had to analyze hours of combat logs to learn stuff about the game. They ended up discovering that the character stats that didn't have a directly visible effect (like +1 vitality = +10 hp) did almost nothing and were a complete waste of time to raise. The effects the manual and strategy guides said they had were complete lies.

So yeah, if the game gives you small improvements that you have to analyze and optimize, the numbers are useful. Pointless in a straight up action game though.

Beyond bioshock's system is probably where I'd draw the line, you can see the health and there are bullet sponges (but they look like bullet sponges) but no numbers and the enemies and weapons always stay the same except for different ammo which has drastic effects.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I propose a compromise wherein enemies splash emoticons when they're shot, instead of blood or numbers. Laugh faces for little damage, frownies for more damage, shocked "O" faces for critical hits.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I know it's all verisimilitude but I can't do Division/whatever where you have a shooter set in a real-world-ish setting and do loot heavy rpg weapons and bullet sponge enemies. It just feels wonky to need to upgrade to a +3 smg or I might as well not bother shooting at some dude with a +5 plaid shirt.

I'm not a huge fan of Destiny but at least it works a bit better in their setting.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think damage numbers are good in a setting where it makes senses, or in a multiplayer shooter. its great in team fortress 2, less good in the division.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Serephina posted:

Far Cry is usually pretty good about this kinda thing, with most enemies crumpling to a plausible amount of damage (ie: not much) and the only enemies that take a beating are miniboss-type guys in huge armored suits. No idea what in world is going on in that weird looking paintball game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I propose a compromise wherein enemies splash emoticons when they're shot, instead of blood or numbers. Laugh faces for little damage, frownies for more damage, shocked "O" faces for critical hits.
Also, the HUD should display your character's face in a similar style, to help the player understand how much damage they are taking. Perhaps centrered at the bottom of the screen.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's basically The Real Thief 4 (in terms of being Thief 1/2 but with a modern engine and some neat new mechanics), but it's somewhat let down by the fact that there's no baked-in campaign of a certifiable quality level, and instead you're left to go install a bunch of fan missions, some of which are of dubious quality. Also, none of Stephen Russell's dulcet tones.

Definitely worth an install though.
Are there any decent recommendation/review lists for this?