Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

This game is so loving chill that it doesn't require power gaming.

Just marry whoever you think looks the best.

But all the Hulu brothers look identical...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

This game is so loving chill that it doesn't require power gaming.

it is perhaps too chill, as the basic furnace takes maybe 300 years to smelt something

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yinlock posted:

it is perhaps too chill, as the basic furnace takes maybe 300 years to smelt something

this is a game where you make multiples of a thing to get stuff done at a good pace

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yinlock posted:

use Industrial Furnaces, they'll get it done in 200 years

seriously the basic furnace sucks rear end why does anyone continue to use it when alternatives are available

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

players kind of have to work up to getting industrial furnaces

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

players kind of have to work up to getting industrial furnaces

dude even Civil Furnaces shave like a half-hour off the smelting time of most stuff (42 minutes off of the Bronze Bar time IIRC), and you get those super-early

I know you don't start with them, thus my use of the phrase "continue to use them"

they suck, upgrade ASAP

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Yinlock posted:

I made 4 basic furnaces to start. Every night, I would set them to crank out some material, be it copper, bronze, charcoal, glass.

When I could make civil furnaces, I made 4 of those and sold the basic furnaces.

Then I got the industrial furnaces. I made 4 of those and sold the civil furnaces.

I've never seen a need (yet) to have more than one of the other crafting stations, so I've kept those to one each. But I always keep at least 4 furnaces.

If you only built one furnace, you're the one who hosed up and isn't the game's fault.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Basic furnaces are so cheap and cover the materials you always need more of that it becomes worth keeping a dozen around until you're rolling in enough materials to make infinite civils/industrials.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just got this and drat its chill and fun, also gently caress higgins.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Holy poo poo, when you're looking inside a storage chest in your yard theres a little banner at the top of the screen that lets you switch to any storage chest on your property without having to run around and interact with them or even leave the inventory screen!!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Regarding basic furnaces, it seems to me that while the civil furnace can spit out the same materials faster, they take up disproportionately more space. Since in the long run space will be your limiting factor, it’s worth it to keep the basic ones around as long as you’re still using copper/bronze.

I haven’t actually run the numbers (bars per hour per square foot?) so this is just an eyeball estimation.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Bramble posted:

Holy poo poo, when you're looking inside a storage chest in your yard theres a little banner at the top of the screen that lets you switch to any storage chest on your property without having to run around and interact with them or even leave the inventory screen!!

While my wife and I both played Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games in the distant past, our most recent frame of reference for games like this is Stardew Valley. While I enjoyed Stardew Valley, there were always some things that annoyed me (I felt like a lot of information wasn't easily surfaced in the game and I was constantly referring to a wiki for information). This game does not require that. Plus, this game is filled with a ton of quality of life features.

Here is a (non-comprehensive) list of things I've discovered or been surprised by in this game:

• There is no penalty for passing out, dying, or running out of stamina.
  • You can access any storage chest from any other storage chest.
  • "Sort All" on you inventory will sort all inventory items into the chests where the items already exist.
  • When you give someone a liked/loved gift, it will be saved in their character information.
  • The more you get to know people, the more they'll tell you about the items they like.
  • Liked gifts give 2-8 friendship points. Loved gifts give 10-30 friendship points.
  • Roses are a Universal Loved gift, worth 10 points to all residents (minus animals/Papa Bear). You can buy one set a roses every day from Alice.
  • As you rank people up (to I think 3 hearts/stars), their birthday will appear on your calendar, so you never have to remember it.
  • Gifts are worth 2x points on holidays and 3x points on birthdays.
  • Whenever earn a heart/star with a resident, you earn bonus friendship points with everyone they are affiliated with (i.e. ranking up Gust gives points with his father Gale, his sister Ginger, and his business partner Albert)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Panfilo posted:

Sam has an actual normal sounding voice

:nallears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bramble posted:

I've mentioned it before, but if you use a controller (I use an XBOX One controller), you can use the triggers to switch to the next box quickly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Manyorcas posted:

Regarding basic furnaces, it seems to me that while the civil furnace can spit out the same materials faster, they take up disproportionately more space. Since in the long run space will be your limiting factor, it’s worth it to keep the basic ones around as long as you’re still using copper/bronze.

I haven’t actually run the numbers (bars per hour per square foot?) so this is just an eyeball estimation.

Space is your limiting factor, but your footprint increases pretty slowly unless you're going whole-hog tree farming, so it's never been an issue for me - and the increase in crafting station footprint gets rapidly mitigated when you get the Comprehensive Cutter and Comprehensive Grinder, which operate using ore and not ingots; this allows you to cut down to a smaller number of furnaces with no real loss of productivity.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

In my quest for absolute efficiency I have flown too close to the sun and got a C-difficulty commission in the second week. I thought it was for the DeeDee, since that's what the mayors been talking about, but it's actually for a DeeDee Stop which I don't even have the recipe for yet

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There will be a mission to hold several after you finish the dee Dee transport mission and Petra gives you the plans then.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

In my quest for absolute efficiency I have flown too close to the sun and got a C-difficulty commission in the second week. I thought it was for the DeeDee, since that's what the mayors been talking about, but it's actually for a DeeDee Stop which I don't even have the recipe for yet

I did this exact same thing early in my game. I should read the commissions closer.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cerepol posted:

Hi i saw this thread and saw the pictures and now the only thing i can ask is

Is this like Fantasy Life???? Will this scratch that Fantasy Life 2 itch ive hard for years now?

I’m curious about this too.

At least this one probably won’t have debilitating button-mashing mini-games?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

dont be mean to me posted:

I’m curious about this too.

At least this one probably won’t have debilitating button-mashing mini-games?

Never played Fantasy Life but there isn't any real button-mashing at least! There are some mini-games at both the bar and for holidays but all are pretty easy-going.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

i wish there was a button that made the male pc not look like an absolute dingus

I don't even know what you are talking about

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Cerepol posted:

Hi i saw this thread and saw the pictures and now the only thing i can ask is

Is this like Fantasy Life???? Will this scratch that Fantasy Life 2 itch ive hard for years now?

Fantasy Life is closer to, say, Rune Factory 4. Portia is closer to a harvest moon with light combat and an xp bar.
But I feel ya on wanting a Fantasy Life 2, that game was oddly fun for how remarkably grindy it was.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

While my wife and I both played Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games in the distant past, our most recent frame of reference for games like this is Stardew Valley. While I enjoyed Stardew Valley, there were always some things that annoyed me (I felt like a lot of information wasn't easily surfaced in the game and I was constantly referring to a wiki for information). This game does not require that. Plus, this game is filled with a ton of quality of life features.

Here is a (non-comprehensive) list of things I've discovered or been surprised by in this game:

• There is no penalty for passing out, dying, or running out of stamina.
  • You can access any storage chest from any other storage chest.
  • "Sort All" on you inventory will sort all inventory items into the chests where the items already exist.
  • When you give someone a liked/loved gift, it will be saved in their character information.
  • The more you get to know people, the more they'll tell you about the items they like.
  • Liked gifts give 2-8 friendship points. Loved gifts give 10-30 friendship points.
  • Roses are a Universal Loved gift, worth 10 points to all residents (minus animals/Papa Bear). You can buy one set a roses every day from Alice.
  • As you rank people up (to I think 3 hearts/stars), their birthday will appear on your calendar, so you never have to remember it.
  • Gifts are worth 2x points on holidays and 3x points on birthdays.
  • Whenever earn a heart/star with a resident, you earn bonus friendship points with everyone they are affiliated with (i.e. ranking up Gust gives points with his father Gale, his sister Ginger, and his business partner Albert)

:vince:

Holy poo poo that's such a massive QoL improvement. The game ought to shout this at you from every rooftop for the first couple hours of playtime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Everyone post some character/workshop pictures!

I'm currently mid-Fall. Just finished the land run. Repaired the lift, but haven't fixed the pipe yet.

The entrance to my workshop is flanked by an awesome monument and also a stone pillar

I have all my storage separated into about 15 metal storage bins. The ones in this picture are Ruins Generic (for items that can be found in any ruins), Ruins 1 Relics, Ruins 2 Relics, Farming Items, Gifts & Misc. To the right of the cooking station is Ingredients, Meals & Medicine, and Fish.

My crafting area is made up of 4 Industrial Furnaces and then one of each of the other crafting stations. The storages I have here are: Monster Drops, Raw Mats 1, Raw Mats 2, Crafted Mats (for bars and other intermediate items), Equipables, and Housing Items.

I have my planters right out in front of my house so I remember to fertilize daily.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Perestroika posted:

:vince:

Holy poo poo that's such a massive QoL improvement. The game ought to shout this at you from every rooftop for the first couple hours of playtime.

It was only added a few patches ago, too! Along with the linked chests.

Mordiceius posted:

I have my planters right out in front of my house so I remember to fertilize daily.

Don't know if you know this but fertilizer isn't required for growth. It's only a bonus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Don't know if you know this but fertilizer isn't required for growth. It's only a bonus.

I know, I just recently harvested the special seed you get from the Mysterious Man. And if you want that to grow to the best it can, it has to be fertilized daily. Often times morning and night.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The tonal contrast in this game makes for some funny situations. The priest telling you to bring any data disks for him to destroy because they contain the technology that ended the world gets its own cutscene, and then about eight seconds later I ran over to the research lab and hand them a sack full of them only for them to say "ooooh there's blueprints for a blender in here"

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Throw the weird jar artifact out on your front lawn asap. Random assholes will get 25-30 extra relationship points every couple of days. It's amusing.

I have to keep reminding myself that there aren't time limits for this game aside from some basic commissions and sidequests. (That you can ignore till you have what they want)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a definite feeling of urgency at times that i need to ignore, because i don't think anything can explicitly be 'failed' other than poo poo that doesn't matter too much like standard commissions which can be made up for and don't have to be taken

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's a definite feeling of urgency at times that i need to ignore, because i don't think anything can explicitly be 'failed' other than poo poo that doesn't matter too much like standard commissions which can be made up for and don't have to be taken

Is there even any penalty for running out of time on standard commissions?

(e) I'm only really just starting the game, day 3 and doing my first dive. Also, does the game pause while alt tabbed? I still hear the music so I assume not

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 1, 2019

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is there even any penalty for running out of time on standard commissions?

(e) I'm only really just starting the game, day 3 and doing my first dive. Also, does the game pause while alt tabbed? I still hear the music so I assume not

You do lose rep for your business, so Higgins might pass you up if you keep failing them.

It does not pause unless you are in a menu screen.

e: some pics

Emily you son of a :argh:

Current farm status: I need more poop!

kloa fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 1, 2019

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Alice is definitely the cutest so I'm gonna marry her, this picture also includes my dumbass horse who needs to be every single picture I ever take.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Spudd posted:

Alice is definitely the cutest so I'm gonna marry her, this picture also includes my dumbass horse who needs to be every single picture I ever take.

Alice freaks me out because she acts and dresses just like my old roommate (whose name also begins with A). They wear the exact same long sweaters, have long brown hair, and constantly talk about plants and books.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I feel like I'm playing McDonald's Monopoly with the artifacts. I have like all but one piece of several, and of the ones I have, I have tons. I don't know if I want to burn a few days in the ruins just mining everything. Also, I keep a level one pick around just for ruin diving because it saves stamina at the expense of a little experience per swing. Good idea or bad idea?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Good news for artifact-divers: as you progress in the main plot, you'll get notifications that better scanners are available. Each one costs a few thousand Gols, but it's a) a permanent upgrade; b) works at all ruins; c) lets you see father; c) lets you see what the marker is; and d) eventually lets you track multiple objects at once

So if you're finding artifact hunting boring or frustrating, the answer is to just ignore it until you get a better scanner.

Also, I've finished the main plot and am doing the bonus plot and man the writing on it is actually more solid and dark than the other plot writing when you meet your pa again and it turns out you're actually rightfully pretty pissed and unwilling to immediately reconcile

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I was forty three hours into this when I stopped playing the beta. I was nowhere near discovering a lot of what was happening (game moments many of you lot are past,) just industriously (haha) moving along my own path. Now the full game is out I started again, despite fearing I'd be bored of doing the same things again. I'm not. It's an escape to world where your doing stuff gets you a nice little tangible feeling of achievement. There's always something small to do and you can lose yourself in it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, the game's both a very good gently caress-around game, and has serious "just one more day!" hooks.

Had it wishlisted a long time ago because a streamer I follow showed it off in early access and forgot all about it until I got a "hey we just launched, we'll honor the Early Access price for 24 hours" and was like "well, fair play, guess I'll buy". Don't regret it. Already got nearly 60 hours in it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm at day 7 and incredibly gol poor, I really need that land extension :saddowns:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ciaphas posted:

I'm at day 7 and incredibly gol poor, I really need that land extension :saddowns:

As you do more commissions, that fixes itself. Try to plug away at one commission a day if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There are a surprising amount of people that want Higgins to be able to be romanced. They get off on the enemy to lover dynamic and they're all loving crazy.