Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Hamas calls for supporters to send bitcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

i've been following this bitcoin thing since around 2013 and this is the first time i've seen a legitimately good use for them

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
wolf cola

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
What a joke. Most of it is handwavy poo poo about "it's not that bad" and "the tech will get better". Even the poo poo about Visa using "banking". Jesus gently caress. This special case of brain damage where the simple logic of how power consumption is ignored must be due to desperation to getting rich like in the case with ghosttitty.

If you ever solve the case where making a computer sending an email while running 3 instances of The Witcher 3 with ultra graphics mods use less or equal energy with a computer just sending an email, and without adding extra caveat, then your idiotic block chain bullshit might work.

The real allure of "blockchain technology" is that scammers and idiots think they could jumpstart a business with just some copy pasted code and other people would fork up the cash for the hardware for the promise of number go up. It doesn't serve a single purpose that cannot be done more efficiently with non-blockchain without inventing new problems for it to solve.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Splicer posted:

Oh look what I found

Just because people aren't paying a million dollars for a bitcoin doesn't mean they aren't worth it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Salt Fish posted:

Just because people aren't paying a million dollars for a bitcoin doesn't mean they aren't worth it.

I’d pony up a bitcoiin to see some ghost titties, though.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
if you had a bitcoin mining farm powered by a waste incinerator. you could have shitcoins powered by poo poo

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
but of course no change in the environmental impact

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wid posted:

What a joke. Most of it is handwavy poo poo about "it's not that bad" and "the tech will get better". Even the poo poo about Visa using "banking". Jesus gently caress. This special case of brain damage where the simple logic of how power consumption is ignored must be due to desperation to getting rich like in the case with ghosttitty.

If you ever solve the case where making a computer sending an email while running 3 instances of The Witcher 3 with ultra graphics mods use less or equal energy with a computer just sending an email, and without adding extra caveat, then your idiotic block chain bullshit might work.

The real allure of "blockchain technology" is that scammers and idiots think they could jumpstart a business with just some copy pasted code and other people would fork up the cash for the hardware for the promise of number go up. It doesn't serve a single purpose that cannot be done more efficiently with non-blockchain without inventing new problems for it to solve.

but then everyone will just send emails while running 30 instance of Witcher 3 at ultra graphics

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

The guys who handle fiat withdrawal from Bitfinex just became insolvent:
https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/cryptocapital-co-may-be-cryptos-black-swan/

quote:

QuadrigaCX’s website mysteriously went down for maintenance approximately 48 hours ago (January 28th) after weeks and months of user complaints over failure to receive withdrawal requests that had been processed on the exchange. There has been no explanation from the team and no update on any of their social media platforms in the last several days, even as their sudden closure has garnered widespread attention in the cryptospace with an extraordinarily high level of scrutiny.
CEX.io’s status page is showing that there are no withdrawal options available on the site currently. Though they claim they are ‘working on it’, there is no timetable for the return of these features. All of the withdrawal status downgrades have occurred in the last week.
Coinapult’s website shutdown on December 10th, citing a ‘temporary’ maintenance issue. It has not opened since and there is no timetable on its return.
Exmo still remains relatively under the radar. The exchange’s volume is minimal at best and there is absolutely no community discussion about the exchange. In fact, chatter about the exchange is so low at this point, that there are no verified stories about anyone even interacting with it in 2018 or 2019.
Bitfinex has failed to honor customer withdrawal requests for months, and the litany of verified complaints are now numbering in the hundreds. And those are just the stories that we’re hearing about. There may perhaps be dozens or hundreds more that have been unable to receive a withdrawal from Bitfinex.

People have been unable to withdraw from the exchanges cryptocapital services.

Also they've made a recent change to their website
https://web.archive.org/web/20181003050334/https://cryptocapital.co/

https://cryptocapital.co/

Guess they don't want people to know they work for Bitfinex?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Crypto mining near hydroelectric dams is green, safe, and profitable, which is why Eastern Washington communities specifically hike the price on crypto miners' accounts and towns have started to institute moratoriums on doing business with new mining operations.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/19/ephrata-oks-yearlong-ban-on-new-cryptocurrency-min/

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/bitcoin-miners-central-washington-start-paying-electricity/

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

The guys who handle fiat withdrawal from Bitfinex just became insolvent:
https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/cryptocapital-co-may-be-cryptos-black-swan/

People have been unable to withdraw from the exchanges cryptocapital services.

Also they've made a recent change to their website
https://web.archive.org/web/20181003050334/https://cryptocapital.co/

https://cryptocapital.co/

Guess they don't want people to know they work for Bitfinex?

Bitfinex pulling out and leaving every customer of these places holding the bag.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So when people talk about giving the poor of the world "financial access," are they talking about giving them a bunch of consumption power, or about creating an instrument through which they can more readily be indebted?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Splicer posted:

Oh look what I found

lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean he asked for a perma, considering I toxxed for hillary (lol) and got banned even after the "rainn amnesty" im just saying mods should hold him to it

as for the rest of us I never agreed to joinder

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
This is good for buttcoin because if no-one can turn their pure butts into dirty fiat, the price of butts (denominated in filthy fiat, for some reason) will remain high forever!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

no perma?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

but again leave the rest of us out of the ghostchain

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean he asked for a perma, considering I toxxed for hillary (lol) and got banned even after the "rainn amnesty" im just saying mods should hold him to it

Lol.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LordArgh posted:

i've been following this bitcoin thing since around 2013 and this is the first time i've seen a legitimately good use for them

I mean, they're better than their primary political opponent Hezbollah by dint of not being foreign proxy stooges, actually negotiating (because they seem to give more of a poo poo about locals not being subject to forever war), and not helping genocide the neighbors, but still not great. After all, they use Bitcoin.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When I opened made this thread I was genuinely confused about BTC. But now I am not and someone got toxxed. I'd say overall the thread has been a success.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Good job, buddy :golfclap:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LordArgh posted:

Didn't ISIS already do this?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you're not confused by bitcoin you don't understand bitcoin

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

The Kins posted:

Didn't ISIS already do this?

isis aren't fighting the apartheid state of israel tho

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gonna donate to a terrorist organization direct from my coinbase account. this is fine

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

LordArgh posted:

Yes, dump all the useless bitcoins onto hamas. It is the only thing they're good for.

The Israeli intelligence have milked them dry on actual tactical targets. Heh, makes me almost wonder if that was the plan all along. As in, make sure there was a simmering underground of displaced turks to fight against them, just so they'd evolve a state of the art intelligence, military, and paramilitary apparatus.

Like paper targets at a shooting range, only these targets shoot back. Also some of the smaller ones just throw rocks, what do you do then, young 18 year old teenager with a rifle?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Well, usually those Israeli teenagers with rifles shoot the kids throwing rocks, so... :shrug:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/nathanielpopper/status/1091443453798494208

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

All mark had to do was go back to his home planet

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Charon looking at the wallet address like "What the gently caress is this bullshit?"

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I like the heading titled "Fiat issues" which is full of more cryptocurrency issues.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
welcome to mt. quadriga, here's your accordion

if only ghostty were here to see this :cry:

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
He died of Crohn’s disease not a sudden car accident, why wouldn’t a crypto genius leave at least 1 other person with the keys to the vault?

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Because crypto is a trustless system!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Bet you anything they all knew he was dying and he was paid to be the fall guy.

Live it up on company dollar during the last stage of your life and take the credit for a mistake after your death so the rest of your associates can skedaddle of with the rest of the money?

Say it isn't so.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McGiggins posted:

Live it up on company dollar during the last stage of your life and take the credit for a mistake after your death so the rest of your associates can skedaddle of with the rest of the money?

Say it isn't so.

It'll be possible to check if those coins get spent now, right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

If I ran an exchange I would exit scam by faking my death and leaving a Ready Player One series of puzzles. Winner is the heir to the fortune.

There is no solution

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

McGiggins posted:

Say it isn't so.

The one thing about bitcoin is that you'd at least be able to tell if this happened.

You wouldn't be able to do a drat thing about it, but you'd know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Just becuase they havent touched the wallets yet doesnt mean thats not the plan.

They could long game it by sitting on the wallets for a year until hopefully people forget about it, and then try to move it in a single transaction to hopefully slip under the radar?