Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

In Training posted:

I did a Standard S+ but it doesn't seem to actually unlock anything?

I think you only get special unlocks for beating the game on S+ on Hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Got things paused right now while I have something to eat, but for gently caress's sake I keep getting two Lickers by the storage lockers just as I'm about to go and retrieve the remaining few goodies on 'A' Scenarios. This is while The Clompmaster is also out doing his thing, so firing at them is something of a no-go.

Of course, with me having no luck at anything, I managed to get the Clompy Curse after retrieving said items so now he's just meandering back and forth in the immediate area while both Lickers are adamantly waiting right by the loving door. Guess I'll just have to take a pasting and waste health items.

Broose posted:

I like that wherever those red tanktop and short-short zombies showed up in the origional they made sure to place one in the remake. They really cared.

Bonaventure posted:

i actually laughed out loud when I recognized one of them and recognized their placement as being exactly where it was in the original -- their tank tops are blue though right?
In-game, yes. All the classic undead ladies of RE2 '98 wore the same dark blue/grey tops. There is however this piece of official art which explains why this particular undead gal is so familiar-looking:

SettingSun posted:

Helena is seriously the worst. "Come with me to the church and I'll tell you everything" becomes "Help me save my sister and I'll spill it." When you actually find said sister Leon demands the info and she has the gall to say "Let's just get her out of here." Bitch, you'd be at the bottom of the barrel if your throw wasn't an absolutely sick tilt-a-whirl slam.

Anonymous Robot posted:

She’s a terrible character but her moves own. The slide combo she can do with the hydra kicks rear end.
I find myself using Helena most of the time in Mercenaries because of these reasons. Leaping 15ft with a triple-quickshot combo never gets old either.

Edit:
Seen it before but even again, jeez, there's just something spooky about the corpse in Chief Irons' own mad scientist lab (Katherine). In a game with so much visceral head-popping, that one manages to stand out as particularly grim (especially when you know exactly what Irons has been up to and what he gets off on doing. It's then worse once Claire reaches that area and said corpse has been left in a pathetic pile by Birkin's prior interruption). What a way to go. I even expected it to wake up the first time around.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 31, 2019

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Running attracts Mr. X's attention when he isn't near you or not?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I don’t get the “leg shot zombies you intend to run by” logic. At least with Claire’s handgun, it takes more leg shots to down a zombie than it does headshots in my experience. It’s also less effective. I go by the opposite logic: leg cripple zombies I think I’ll be passing a lot because it makes them less threatening long-term, whereas if you headshot them they’ll just get back up fully-formed later.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don’t get the “leg shot zombies you intend to run by” logic. At least with Claire’s handgun, it takes more leg shots to down a zombie than it does headshots in my experience. It’s also less effective. I go by the opposite logic: leg cripple zombies I think I’ll be passing a lot because it makes them less threatening long-term, whereas if you headshot them they’ll just get back up fully-formed later.

A zombie losing a leg is a more consistent dodge chance. They take a couple of seconds to be dangerous again versus a relatively short window for a headshot stagger. I learned this thanks to Hunk's MP5 being a leg-mulching masterpiece. :toot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EDIT: Never mind, got it.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 31, 2019

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

make sure you aim at the kneecap

also shooting a zombie in the head until it falls down is a waste of ammo, you should just hit it once or twice to stun it and then run past

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Was Leon ever in the Milla Jovovich movies?

I've seen all of them but LMAO @ remembering them.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Is zombie "HP" persistent or does it get reset when you wander off too far?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Was Leon ever in the Milla Jovovich movies?

One of them, yeah, along with Ada, Barry, and Jill in her mind-control battlesuit.

Although he doesn't look like Leon despite being dressed in Leon's jacketless RE4 outfit. He looks like Kid Rock after six months in the gym.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

In-game, yes. All the classic undead ladies of RE2 '98 wore the same dark blue/grey tops. There is however this piece of official art which explains why this particular undead gal is so familiar-looking:

I was pretty happy when RE2 chick zombie showed up in my playthrough. That nostalgia quickly faded once she got back up for the fourth time, came into the boiler room, and later got up a fifth time when Mr. X was on my rear end. She was the worst 'refused to re-die' other than that a-hole in the morgue.

There's only one zombie I felt bad about and that was Elliot. I got mixed up on my stairs and cut back and forth through 'his' room several times, and no matter how many headshots, my next pass through, he was back at it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dewgy posted:

So the infinite knife doesn’t break the S+ run? That’s handy, though deciding to ditch it or kill has gotta be a tough choice sometimes.

There is no decision to make. Retrieval of the Infinity Blade from the smoldering entrails of the thief is always the answer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Didn't Leon and Chris team up in one of those CG movies they keep making, except Chris has sobered up and now Leon's the alcoholic?

I looked this up because I hadn't seen that movie and the wiki entry contains the finest description of Leon I've ever seen:

" Delivering sweep kicks after sweep kicks, he killed zombie after zombie."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really wish RE2make had a moment where Leon was forced to do a spin-kick for one reason or another and after a perfect landing he looked around like 'hold on a minute, now THAT was cool'. Show me the origins of the spin-kick Capcom you cowards

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

One of them, yeah, along with Ada, Barry, and Jill in her mind-control battlesuit.

Although he doesn't look like Leon despite being dressed in Leon's jacketless RE4 outfit. He looks like Kid Rock after six months in the gym.

None of the characters in those movies really look like their videogame counterparts though. They look like cosplayers who gave up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Remake should have a moment when he does that, fails, and vows never again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Leon should have inexplicably died in all routes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Leon should have inexplicably died in all routes.

Leading into a remake of Resident Evil Gaiden.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Is there a guide anywhere for completing an S run on Standard? Just looking for something that tells me time targets I need to hit.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Quick reminder that this game and the events within are canon:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

None of the characters in those movies really look like their videogame counterparts though. They look like cosplayers who gave up.

I distinctly remember the scrawny Barry in the Marty McFly vest.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ada and Jill did okay.

I'm also generally pro-Wentworth Miller in most situations. He was a decent Chris. It's just a shame about how Alice had to suck all the air out of every single room or the movie wouldn't have happened.

(I watched a little of Retribution the other day and she took down a helicopter by landing a headshot on its pilot from like 100 yards with a sawn-off shotgun.)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Quick reminder that this game and the events within are canon:

This was my first Resident Evil game. I didn't know about or play any of the others until RE4 and REmake on the GameCube.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Barry deflates in the absence of magnums and high caliber rounds

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Those RE movies are wicked dumb and I love them

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sponges posted:

Those RE movies are wicked dumb and I love them
The quality varies wildly from movie to movie, but yeah, they're stupid as hell and a lot of fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvQpcmqBtw

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I dig all the RE movies except for Regeneration.

RE1 is a neat, self contained romp. Paul WS Anderson took the material and put his own doofy rear end spin on already doofy material. RE2 is already jumping the shark and it's a blast. Carlos (played by the handsome and talented Oded Fehr!) jumping out of a helicopter and scoring headshots with dual pistols while in midair? I'll take it. Hand to hand fight between Alice and Nemesis that's so badly shot and edited you can't actually tell what's happening? The actress playing Jill tried to replicate her gun stance from the games! Also, End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage over the end credits? Can we get more early 2000's?

Extinction is weak but worth watching with buds and laughing at the absurdity. Not much to say about this one other than the idea of the T-Virus infecting the actual god damned earth is the funniest poo poo ever.

Afterlife is the TITS. I love that stupid, stupid movie. Where do all the women get their magnificent makeup from? Why is so much of it in slow motion? Pretty sure shoving a bunch of quarters into your sawed off shotgun will have it explode in your face and shower your upper body in metal shards, but ok! Sole Black Dude not only introduces himself by doing a slam dunk move to stop a plane from falling off a building, but you think he dies....and he survives! Can't keep him down! Whoever they got to play Wesker deserved an Oscar. He is hamming it up so much if he transmogrified into a pig I wouldn't be surprised. He's gorging himself on the scenery, and then to top it all off his outro is the RE5 fight complete with sunglasses distraction throw and bullet dodging flips while The Outider by A Perfect Circle blares on the soundtrack. I love this dumb gently caress movie to absolute bits.

Like I said, Regeneration is wack. I always dug how they'd give Milla a new fun high fashion outfit to wear but her getup in this one is so, so stupid, even for these movies. It just doesn't fit. They introduce Leon and Barry and Ada and then promptly waste them (Barry has a great death, though). They just reuse the giant axe wielding guy fight so that was boring. The ending was tight, though.

The Final Chapter is hilarious and dumb in all the best ways, but the editing...I got a migraine seeing that on the big screen. I'm impressed that PWSA just said "gently caress continuity" and decided that all the characters from the last movie except Alice didn't exist because he was too tired to write them or some dumb poo poo, lmao. Stupid, stupid ending, stupid plot, stupid action, stupid stupid stupid....and I loved it.

RE1's still the best one. That main theme by Marilyn Manson holy poo poo.

Anyway no one asked but that's what I think of the live action RE's. Don't ask me about the CG ones, they're all bad. Wait no, the hysterical John Wick fights in Vendetta are brilliant and there's a great sequence where you realize that the BSAA probably causes more collateral damage than zombie outbreaks.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The quality varies wildly from movie to movie, but yeah, they're stupid as hell and a lot of fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvQpcmqBtw

Is it just me or does the soundtrack there sound really similar to BFG Division by Mick Gordon from the latest Doom?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Is zombie "HP" persistent or does it get reset when you wander off too far?

My impression is that this something CAPCOMs trademark adaptive difficulty tinkers with in real-time. Since zombie health has such a huge variance to begin with (anywhere in-between 2 and 14 bullets by my count) I don't think whether the system remembers or not would actually make a difference. The game clearly scales zombies either randomly or by how well you're doing in and I would presume that applies to zombies you've shot but not killed as well. Similiar to how zombies can appear downed the first time you pass by a room and kill them but later 'resurrect' upon your return.

SMP
May 5, 2009

This new remake is the only RE game i've played besides 5 / the only horror game i've really played and holy poo poo. gently caress. not sure i'm cut out for this. i can mainline horror movies all day every day but this games got me shook. i haven't even met this mr. x I keep hearing about (besides his "intro" in the jail) but from what i gather it's going to do my head in.

about how long are all the campaigns? theres 4 total right? i only rented this thinking i could squeeze it all in this weekend, but i don't have the fortitude to handle binging this.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I only watched the first live film and was so bad and unfaithful that I never went back. I did watch one animated one with an airport? And thought it was good. How many of those are there?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is it just me or does the soundtrack there sound really similar to BFG Division by Mick Gordon from the latest Doom?
Hahaha goddamn, you're right! I never made that connection before. That movie came out 14 years before Doom, too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SMP posted:

This new remake is the only RE game i've played besides 5 / the only horror game i've really played and holy poo poo. gently caress. not sure i'm cut out for this. i can mainline horror movies all day every day but this games got me shook. i haven't even met this mr. x I keep hearing about (besides his "intro" in the jail)

about how long are all the campaigns? theres 4 total right? i only rented this thinking i could squeeze it all in this weekend, but i don't have the fortitude to handle binging this.

Resident Evil games (and survival horror in general) are all about accepting that life is fleeting and that death doesn't matter. At least, that was my major obstacle back when I first got started. But it gradually decreases as you get more accustomed to the enemy patterns and weapon systems of the genre. RE5 is kind of a bad introduction since it's just monster arenas filled with trash monsters non-stop for most of the game.

Get the 2.9$ music DLC for an even more terrifying experience. Worth every penny.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 1, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The CGI movies are magical. :allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

If you photoshopped in a QTE I would have believed this was a RE6 cutscene

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

codo27 posted:

I only watched the first live film and was so bad and unfaithful that I never went back. I did watch one animated one with an airport? And thought it was good. How many of those are there?

There are three animated movies, Degeneration, Damnation, and Vendetta. They're all canon to the games' universe, albeit sometimes subtly; the NGO that Claire works for in Revelations 2 was first introduced in Degeneration, and there's an Easter egg in Revelations 2 that sets it at around the same time as Damnation.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

...you know, he does end up crashing that bike, but he does it on purpose. Maybe motorcycles are immune to the Kennedy Crash Curse.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hell yeah dude i need to rewatch the true resident evil movie franchise

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Wanderer posted:

...you know, he does end up crashing that bike, but he does it on purpose. Maybe motorcycles are immune to the Kennedy Crash Curse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUaJFH252w

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for completing an S run on Standard? Just looking for something that tells me time targets I need to hit.

I only made one major check during my run and that was I hit the crocodile at about 1:30 on Leon A, finished the game at 3:01. Seems like a relatively solid halfway marker.

Only other major thing is do make sure to make some saves. Hitting "continue" from the You Died screen won't reset the timer to the last checkpoint, so if you kick the bucket always quit/reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wanderer posted:

At least two helicopters have survived Leon Kennedy being within their surrounding area. The one in Degeneration also kicks the "Capcom's ongoing helicopter murder spree" habit in the shins by appearing in the early part of the film, and managing to survive. Two out of three* helicopters ain't that bad of a record, all things considered (RIP Mike).

Also, for those who are surprised that Remake Claire can lug a minigun around like it's nothing, in Degeneration, a building gets blown up and one entire side of the building collapses right next to Claire while she's inside said building. She survives with only a single shard of debris in her ankle and some dust on her clothes. Despite being inches away from where the building side collapsed. Claire's just as tough as her brother, she just hasn't punched a boulder like he has. Well, not yet, anyways.

*=Not including ORC's helicopter escape from the end of the Echo Six campaign here, since that game is very much a "what if..." game.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 1, 2019