Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Randalor posted:

The challenges in Spider-Man are bullshit. Well, okay, not the challenges themselves, but the requirements to get gold on them. I can get silver after a few tries, but the timing seems to be incredibly strict to get enough points for gold that I'm going to pass on them. I mean, it's not like I need to get gold on all of them to unlock all the costumes and upgrades... right?

You don't need them even for platinum trophy. The gold medals are basically just for self imposed challenge and maybe maxing out all gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Leal posted:

REmake 2: Durability on the knife :cmon:
They're intended to be like the subweapons in REmake, in that it was one use only so honestly its a step up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Playing through the second playthrough in the RE2remake with Claire and good god does Mr X wear out his welcome. Not only does he start hounding you virtually immediately in the playthrough, his appearances are just way too commonplace. For example, I just had a sequence where this happened.

1. I walk out of the stars office and head towards the stairway on my way to the big room on floor 3.
2. Mr X ambushes me in literally the first door possible and chases me through half the building before giving up.
3. I once again make my way up to the room on floor 3.
4. He's literally waiting in the room.

I just wanted to clear this one puzzle segment, give me some space game. :negative:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Mr X has the best audio cues tho
https://streamable.com/u9xz6

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leal posted:

REmake 2: Durability on the knife :cmon:

I'll see your knife and raise you the entire sewers. Particularly Ada's mission

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Evilreaver posted:

Mr X has the best audio cues tho
https://streamable.com/u9xz6

THUMP
THUMP
THUMP

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tengames posted:

my complaint is the exact opposite in that magic in FFXV is complete bullshit. I dunno if it was like this when the game first launched but on the pc version i can just shove poo poo i find on the ground into my spells and within like 30 minutes i can make a fira that immediately ends an encounter in the first 2 seconds, nuke 80% of a boss's hp and give me enough exp to hit level 20 from a single loving cast.

I don't know if it was that good around launch when I played. It seemed pretty powerful but my gripe was that you had to go to a campsite and sift through your item bag to craft every single cast. The combat was pretty much down to "hold the attack button, try to get behind your target, and use potions" though so I never felt the need to engage with the magic system.

The Witcher 3 was smart enough to do away with that system even though it makes a lot more sense when you're talking about bombs and potions.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll see your knife and raise you the entire sewers. Particularly Ada's mission

Ada's mission while using the black and white noir filters. loving impossible.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Zelda BOTW devs, do I really have to root into my bag for the correct ingredients and combine them in the pot every time I want to make a food or potion? Seriously? What about having a way, once I know a recipe, to make several of them in quick succession without the hassle?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mikl posted:

Zelda BOTW devs, do I really have to root into my bag for the correct ingredients and combine them in the pot every time I want to make a food or potion? Seriously? What about having a way, once I know a recipe, to make several of them in quick succession without the hassle?

IMMERSION

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mikl posted:

Just be glad your pot doesn't break every third crab/banana kabob.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mikl posted:

Me playing Atelier Sophie except you also have to play the alchemy puzzle every time

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LEGO DC SuperVillains - a lighthearted kids game, with micro games for some of the puzzles; Pipemania connections? Fine. Match and remember shapes? That’s OK.

Sliding block puzzles? Ugh, even with the built-in hint system I die a little whenever one crops up - if I were an actual child it’d likely be a game breaker: ‘ok stop all the fun you’ve been having while you futz around with this puzzle for a couple minutes’

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Mikl posted:

MY DUDE! HAVE YOU PLAYED RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
time to make the split point rounds

ten hours later

i made the split point rounds

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Ive seen it, multiple times with once being in a theater setting and it is terminally dull. Its like film equivalent of a tech demo.

See this doesn't make any sense to me, having seen like actual "experimental" film. There's a strong narrative, well-drawn characters, what's "tech demo" about that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Poulpe posted:

I don't think he's all that wrong. Citizen Kane is ultimately a boring movie (much like Ultima doesn't hold up and isn't great)

Okay, this is... well, no. Kane holds up beautifully and I just can't imagine why you'd find it "boring" (mainly because "boring" is not useful criticism). And there is a slight difference in media here, in that a lot of the flaws that plague older games are real quality of life things that make progression difficult, because the advance of technology and progression in thinking of game design means we no longer have to look up how to mix herbs to cast a spell properly. Whereas technological advances in film have largely expanded what's possible to show convincingly, not changed the underlying narrative structures (which were put in place as early as Birth of a Nation.) They can be tricky for modern audiences in that the dialogue sounds weird and the social conventions are different, but it's not quite the same as having to look up log book entries in Pool of Radiance because there wasn't enough room for the text on a disk.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
That said I do miss "read paragraph such and such' games because a few (Wasteland for example) put fake ones in the book to throw people off. The Wasteland one had an entire fake storyline strewn throughout its paragraph book.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Lightning Returns is honestly impressive. It's easily one of the least competent port jobs I've ever seen a company put out. A week ago it couldn't see my controller at all. Two days ago I could play it fine with my controller. This morning it can't see my controller at all once again. I just had to activate Big Picture Mode and go into the game specific controller settings and set up my Xbox One controller to send keyboard presses because otherwise it may as well be a loving paperweight for all the good it does.

The keyboard controls are completely nonsensical, too. Look at this dumb bullshit. The face buttons are Backspace, Return, ., and M. The camera is bound to ILJK instead of the mouse. I'm legitimately surprised that they had the presence of mind to bind WASD as default movement keys instead of something out of left field.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

spit on my clit posted:

time to make the split point rounds

ten hours later

i made the split point rounds

RDR2's main thesis isn't about the measure of a man and the search for redemption after terrible sins committed, but about how video-game movement should be slow and ponderous and tedious and just a massive drag

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Calaveron posted:

RDR2's main thesis isn't about the measure of a man and the search for redemption after terrible sins committed, but about how video-game movement should be slow and ponderous and tedious and just a massive drag

Perhaps these are one and the same.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Rockstar are testing how boring they have to make their games for people to stop buying them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sunswipe posted:

Rockstar are testing how boring they have to make their games for people to stop buying them.

"What if you have to eat, like in the Sims, but boring? Also 'fast' travel is just actually making you watch you ride your horse around. And one more thing...you can spend all your money on a horse...just to have it die because it tripped."

"You're a goddamn genius Carl, here's a blank check."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Morpheus posted:

"What if you have to eat, like in the Sims, but boring? Also 'fast' travel is just actually making you watch you ride your horse around. And one more thing...you can spend all your money on a horse...just to have it die because it tripped."

What if a stupid AI gets themselves killed, and now you have to lose all your money to pay the bounty you got because of them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyway I played some Monster Hunter World last night. I really like the game, definitely my favourite of the series. Then I tried a tempered Deviljho.

For those not in the know, a Deviljho is...basically it's like a tyrannosaurus combined with a pickle, then made really hungry and very mad. It's something of an iconic creature of the series these days, and is a tough battle for people who haven't fought them.

Tempered monsters are basically upgraded versions of monsters. They're tougher and hit harder.

I've fought a few tempered monsters, and appreciated the challenge, but tempered Deviljho is just annoying as poo poo. He's got so much fuckin' health, hits so hard that some attacks can kill you in one hit from full health with end game armor and multiple defense boosts, and even after wailing on him for a good half hour, the group I was in had failed to weaken him. Then he killed me with a single hit and I said gently caress this.

What's the worst part of this is the community. There are people online saying this is a frustrating fight, and then the vocal people in the crowd are screaming "No but this is what Monster Hunter should be! If anything it's too easy! Bring back tough battles like this one all over the place!"

Which is like, great, this is the attitude that prevented people from getting into the series in the first place. Until they abandoned that hardcore gungho bullshit, a large majority didn't want to play the game because you'd be bashing your head against an unfun wall for a good 45 minutes before failing and getting nothing from it. Great. Fun. More of that yeah.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

What if a stupid AI gets themselves killed, and now you have to lose all your money to pay the bounty you got because of them.

Carl you just earned yourself a promotion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

Poor entity_npc_animal-horse-freckles, thought of collision detection and died.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Easily the worst part of RDR2 was that if you accidentally bump your horse into someone else’s even slightly, they’ll go loving psycho and pull out a shotgun and start blasting you. You don’t have to crash into them and send them falling off their horse or anything like that which would be somewhat reasonable, even a nudge will do it. Then if you shoot them back it’s not considered self-defense and you lose honor and get a bounty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mierenneuker posted:

This is the one area of RDR2 that Rockstar nailed in simulating real life.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I keep thinking about trying RDR2 but every review and discussion I see about makes it sound like one big entire game dragging this game down .

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

I keep thinking about trying RDR2 but every review and discussion I see about makes it sound like one big entire game dragging this game down .

Really my only complaints about RDR2 are Micah and crafting special ammunition

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was the worst 60 bucks I spent on a game since Brink. It was a miserable slog and the worst part was there’s some good stuff in there, but every time I started to enjoy myself, it would poo poo its pants and do something stupid. Like I’d get in a gunfight to rescue someone tied to the back of a horse, and I’d free him... only to run off and report me for murder because I killed his captors. It’s a terrible game and I don’t get why people love it so much.

I never ran into any issues of the AI being that broken, or broken at all. For me, while the gunplay left a lot to be desired, the story was too enthralling to quit playing.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jan 31, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

It was the worst 60 bucks I spent on a game since Brink. It was a miserable slog and the worst part was there’s some good stuff in there, but every time I started to enjoy myself, it would poo poo its pants and do something stupid. Like I’d get in a gunfight to rescue someone tied to the back of a horse, and I’d free him... only to run off and report me for murder because I killed his captors. It’s a terrible game and I don’t get why people love it so much.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mierenneuker posted:

lol

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My dear Moo was a warrior and only finally fell when a train ran over her. I couldn't get the medicine to her in time because I was conducting the train.

Moo was not a smart girl.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's honestly just not that good a game. It has some cool ideas and it's addictive for a while before you start getting deeper into it and realize how random it is. The biggest issue is that while there's choices to be made in terms of builds and navigating the map, most hands play themselves - there's one obvious play order every time, and all you're doing is clicking it. You don't get to actually make a lot of moment-to-moment decisions.

This is a very, very good post but hoo boy do not try to make any of these points on, say, the steam forums. You'll be told to git gud noob six different ways before you press submit.

I'm not a huge fan of severe difficulty to the point where there are a few great builds and a thousand pitfalls. Slay the Sprie, Darkest Dungeon, Pathfinder - all of these games appear to have massive amounts of player choice, but in reality only reasonably support a few "correct" decks / parties / builds. Each of these games offers no way to respec, either; you basically have to die or reset.

Let me play around with weird builds, damnit! They don't all have to be viable - that's really, really difficult game design that's way outta reach for most indie-ish devs - but then let me respec easily.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Sunswipe posted:

Rockstar are testing how boring they have to make their games for people to buy Shark Cards Gold Bars to spend on time savers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rockstar achieved the impossible though because it made me care for God’s stupidest, most cretinous creature, the horse

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Warframe doesn't have any way to reset your account, or replay previous missions. Which is real bad when you're like I am, and played a little bit months ago and only now picked it back up, because I don't remember how to play, my chosen Warframe's powers, or what was going on.

I figured out I can murder people with telekinesis, though, so that's helping.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cleretic posted:

Warframe doesn't have any way to reset your account, or replay previous missions. Which is real bad when you're like I am, and played a little bit months ago and only now picked it back up, because I don't remember how to play, my chosen Warframe's powers, or what was going on.

I'mma pretend the last statement has nothing to do with the initial statement.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I got burned out and stopped playing it a while back but I'm pretty sure you can replay missions because I remember grinding one boss to get Warframe blueprints at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Aren't you meant to grind levels over and over in that game to get xp? Maybe story missions you can only do once or something