Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
And more generally anyplace where you're making a batter or dough and want to minimise gluten development, e.g. tempura batter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Scientastic posted:

What does one cook with vodka? I have vague recollections of vodka sauce, but I always assumed that was a joke...

nah tomato cream sauce with vodka is good, as well as the aforementioned pie dough & batters

I also put a splash in my tomato soup recipe, it helps round it out a bit

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nephzinho posted:

I pretty much only drink bourbon.

Your doctor would probably like it if you tried drinking water once in a while.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Scientastic posted:

What does one cook with vodka? I have vague recollections of vodka sauce, but I always assumed that was a joke...

Various ice cream and sorbet recipes call for it, though that's much less about flavor than preventing it from turning rock hard.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I pretty much always put a splash of sake in my scrambled eggs, makes them very fluffy. I first started doing this when I was fooling around with making Japanese omelets (omerisu), but since then I've learned you can use pretty much any clear booze.

But try a little sake and mirrin in your scrambled eggs, it's delicious.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've had this bookmarked and been meaning to try for like two years. Maybe while everything is frozen and I'm stuck inside..

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I've had this bookmarked and been meaning to try for like two years. Maybe while everything is frozen and I'm stuck inside..

Alton Brown just re-did his Lemon Meringue Pie episode, complete with new crust recipe. No vodka, he implied that it was a crutch for bad process.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Squashy Nipples posted:

Alton Brown just re-did his Lemon Meringue Pie episode, complete with new crust recipe. No vodka, he implied that it was a crutch for bad process.

Isn't that the argument that Christopher Kimball used? Why don't stuffy old white guys like technically sound improvements to old recipes? Does AB also think that searing meat is overrated?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've seen "Smoked Paprika" in a few recipes' ingredient list - is it that different than your normal run-of-the-mill Paprika? Does it actually add any sort of smokey flavor (which I love) or is that just the name for the variety?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've seen "Smoked Paprika" in a few recipes' ingredient list - is it that different than your normal run-of-the-mill Paprika? Does it actually add any sort of smokey flavor (which I love) or is that just the name for the variety?

It’s actually smoked and tastes like it

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

It is indeed smoked and it's a fantastic addition to lots of things. I can also highly recommend sweet hot paprika. Different but also amazing and useful in many dishes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Does AB also think that searing meat is overrated?

Actually yes, he does think that it is overrated.

He thinks that it is great, adds a ton of flavor, but that searing to "lock in the juices" is complete hooey.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There are many different kinds of paprika, Hungarian sweet paprika or smoky spicy Spanish paprika for example. Give it a try sometime!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Isn't that the argument that Christopher Kimball used? Why don't stuffy old white guys like technically sound improvements to old recipes? Does AB also think that searing meat is overrated?
Because there have been further improvements since the vodka pie crust. I use Kenji's all-butter pie crust because lol if you're not trying to maximize butter

Christopher Kimball's entire ATK empire was built on improvements like that, I def don't think he's anti. CI is where the vodka one is from.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 31, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Because there have been further improvements since the vodka pie crust. I use Kenji's all-butter pie crust because lol if you're not trying to maximize butter

Christopher Kimball's entire ATK empire was built on improvements like that, I def don't think he's anti. CI is where the vodka one is from.
Amusingly, "Kenji's all-butter pie crust" is just a classic pâte brisée, but the vodka pie crust is in fact something he developed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any recommended recipe/technique for pâte a choux? Wanna try my hand at eclairs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

SubG posted:

Amusingly, "Kenji's all-butter pie crust" is just a classic pâte brisée, but the vodka pie crust is in fact something he developed.
I know he did, when he worked at ATK. He did the vodka pie crust in 2007 and all-butter in 2011. Here's the tl;dr science that goes with the all-butter. While the ingredients are the same as pâte brisée, the technique differs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I know he did, when he worked at ATK. He did the vodka pie crust in 2007 and all-butter in 2011. Here's the tl;dr science that goes with the all-butter. While the ingredients are the same as pâte brisée, the technique differs.
Nah, that's literally a pâte brisée. What's the part that you think is the innovation? Using a food processor? Using a spatula for the fraisage? Julia Child describes both in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in 1961.

I mean JKL-A uses more science-y words and so on. And that's cool. But if he's doing something new and novel there I'm missing it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My understanding is that in classical pâte brisée, you want to leave the butter in chunks, and you see streaks or pockets of butter when you roll out the dough. Kenji's technique yields a totally visually homogenous dough.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

My understanding is that in classical pâte brisée, you want to leave the butter in chunks, and you see streaks or pockets of butter when you roll out the dough. Kenji's technique yields a totally visually homogenous dough.
Having discrete chunks of butter is something you want during initial incorporation of the butter, but the end result is a smooth blending, hopefully in layers. That's what JKL-A's fussing about with the spatula is, what's called fraiser in French---the smearing together of the fat and flour to get a uniform dough that's still going to come out flaky. In Mastering the Art, Child identifies this `even blending of fat and flour' as what distinguishes `the French system' from `standard American methods'.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any recommended recipe/technique for pâte a choux? Wanna try my hand at eclairs.

There's not a lot of variation to be had with choux.

I've used Joy of Baking's recipe a few times and they turn out nice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The first time I ever tried making cream puffs I followed this exactly and they turned out picture perfect. Like, looked and tasted like they should have been on the cover of a magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1wqaTwpfE

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

Having discrete chunks of butter is something you want during initial incorporation of the butter, but the end result is a smooth blending, hopefully in layers. That's what JKL-A's fussing about with the spatula is, what's called fraiser in French---the smearing together of the fat and flour to get a uniform dough that's still going to come out flaky. In Mastering the Art, Child identifies this `even blending of fat and flour' as what distinguishes `the French system' from `standard American methods'.

My reading was that the blending of flour/fat is done prior to any spatula work. So 2/3rds of the flour just gets homogeneously mixed into a paste, then that paste is lightly broken down into pebbles with the other 1/3rd of the flour. So there's 2 separate additions of flour, which (from very light googling since I don't have Child's book) appears to be different from the typical method.

In any event, I should make more pies.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Eeyo posted:

My reading was that the blending of flour/fat is done prior to any spatula work. So 2/3rds of the flour just gets homogeneously mixed into a paste, then that paste is lightly broken down into pebbles with the other 1/3rd of the flour. So there's 2 separate additions of flour, which (from very light googling since I don't have Child's book) appears to be different from the typical method.
Yeah, but he's still just doing rough mix and then fraiser. I mean I guess you can make the point that most recipes will tell you do to the first part in a mixer or by hand and then to do the second part flat on your prep surface instead of doing it in the bowl with a spatula. But it's still the same ingredients being worked via the same underlying mechanisms, yielding the same results.

I mean I'm not trying to badmouth JKL-A here, my entire reason for bringing it up was that he was being credited with the standard pâte brisée while loving Kimball was being given credit for vodka pie crust (which JKL-A actually developed). But I mean that approach is just a bog standard 5:4, mix and fraiser pâte brisée, plus a bunch of food blog verbiage.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Weird hill to die on, but ok

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My rice cooker bit the dust. :rip:, it lasted 8 years and cost $15.

Should I splurge on a fancy Zojirushi on Amazon, or head to Chinatown and get a basic but solid rice cooker? I'm sort of set against using my Instant Pot for rice because I'm skeptical that it will make rice as good as a rice cooker, but I also am a religious user of the steamer attachment for mine (a solid and extremely lazy dinner can be had with some kind of sausage and Chinese broccoli dropped in the steamer over rice), but I can be convinced.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you have an instant pot why not try one batch of rice? Rice isn't that expensive if it turns out terribly.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I have an awesome co-worker who is leaving us because her husband landed a job elsewhere. She's also lactose and gluten intolerant, and we're having a going away potluck as a send-off. Looking for a worthy send-off dish given the dietary restrictions, and the constraint that it has to be make-able the night before and serve-able the day of in a workplace environment without much fuss. Any ideas?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

El_Elegante posted:

Weird hill to die on, but ok

You must be new here

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The only hill I'm absolutely willing to die on is the hill proclaiming all sandwiches calling themselves a club sandwich but aren't triple deckers are actually frauds and not worthy of the club sandwich name.

don't @ me

:colbert:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

the hill proclaiming all sandwiches calling themselves a club sandwich but aren't triple deckers are actually frauds

Edit: tapping right into the zeitgeist with a reference that’s over a decade old

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 1, 2019

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

PDP-1 posted:

I have an awesome co-worker who is leaving us because her husband landed a job elsewhere. She's also lactose and gluten intolerant, and we're having a going away potluck as a send-off. Looking for a worthy send-off dish given the dietary restrictions, and the constraint that it has to be make-able the night before and serve-able the day of in a workplace environment without much fuss. Any ideas?

Are you looking for an entree, appetizer, side dish, or desert?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PDP-1 posted:

Pulled pork with corn tortillas, sides of chopped lettuce, tomato, salsa, and dairy free cheese crumbles. Everyone loves a taco party.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anova or Joule for sous vide device? Is the Joule worth twice as much as the other?

E: Didn't see there was a specific thread thanks

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 1, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

Anova or Joule for sous vide device? Is the Joule worth twice as much as the other?

Do you want physical controls or do you want to have to use app? Me personally I'd rather have physical controls. Some people complain that water evaporates and gets into the electronics of the Anova but I don't have a problem and just use a lid. Also you can ask in the SV thread if you want more feedback https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640&pagenumber=250#lastpost.

Do you guys soak your split peas? How long is it worth it when making split pea soup?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sterster posted:

Do you guys soak your split peas? How long is it worth it when making split pea soup?

I never have myself.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

goodness posted:

E: Didn't see there was a specific thread thanks

The only advantage to the Joule other than aesthetics and the magnet in the base is a higher wattage that gets your water to temp faster.

I personally recommend the older model Anova over the newer one, even though it's cheaper, because it can be opened up and allows you to clean the heating element which is important if you have hard water or a bag leak.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
My older Anova is a workhorse, including several 50+ hr briskets.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

The first time I ever tried making cream puffs I followed this exactly and they turned out picture perfect. Like, looked and tasted like they should have been on the cover of a magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1wqaTwpfE

That's a good one. If you want to fancy them up a little you can make this dough that you roll out thin and then cut rounds out to put on top of each puff before baking.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/craquelin-recipe/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

poeticoddity posted:

Are you looking for an entree, appetizer, side dish, or desert?

Something in the appetizer/side dish/desert range, they're doing a BBQ for the main event.