Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Earlier this month they finally got around to doing dev blog on combat, there is quite a bit of footage of it in action as well (keeping in mind further changes and balancing are still possible):
https://www.anno-union.com/en/admirals-at-war/

Combat is a lot more like traditional Anno games, it all takes place on the main map, instead of special zones like in 2205, and at release there will be no land combat as there had been in some games.

If they ever do get around to adding it in, I seriously hope they look for ways to properly integrate it instead of just tacking it on and calling it a day.

You will aos have to physically protect your trade again and set up trade routes between islands and maps instead of having it all transferred around automatically into global warehouses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I just found out I was somehow invited to the beta but never got an email nor any indication that I did sso.

However, I found on reddit a helpful link that activates the closed beta if your account is flagged for it (make sure your signed in on your browser): https://betasignup.ubisoft.com/anno1800cb/FriendList/

I just did it, it said Congrats! Registration Successful. It should then show up on uPlay. Downloading now at 100 megabytes/sec :toot:

Give it a shot.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They also brought back those 'find the 5 pigs running around town' quests which is nooooooooooooooot great.

Tbh, I loved these in 1404. It gave me a reason to zoom in and see my creation in motion, and realize how beautiful the game can be.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I liked them on occasion but they just happened way way too often for my tastes. If they're much more rare this time then I'm all for them.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

funakupo posted:

Ok invites gone out hopefully

negatory, I haven't gotten it yet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Add me to the list of people begging for a beta key. Uplay name "PremierSovian"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

intial impressions after an hour or so of gameplay snuck in before working :)

- they brought back the fiddly-rear end tiny arrow warehouse interface for buying and selling :/ one thing (one of the only things) that 2205 did right was consolidating all that buy/sell info into one very easy to read interface. get your readers out
- game is as gorgeous as they have always been with a reeeeeally far zoom. can't wait to discover all those little visual treats
- modules are in the game in the form of now required expansions. you can't build a potato farm without placing like 90 little squares of potato plots, or a sheep farm without placing 3 gated pastures
- careful, the AI will steal that close nice starting island
-game seems really polished already, all the menu animations and stuff are real smooth
- i don't personally like where they put the colonist interface and it's a bit obscure but i think i'll get used to it

now i'm torn between blowing out the beta and not playing any more at all :ohdear:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 31, 2019

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You've already had a taste, may as well keep going until they pull it next week instead of pining for it.

Not sure on your 3rd point though. Farms have always had fields. Only now you don't need to play tetris with them any more since they can be placed as individual tiles. Seems some of the pastures (like for sheep and pigs) are still larger pieces though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think I'll probably play until I get the highest tier citizens in the beta and then shelve it so I don't get burnt out.

Hoping that the campaign is good this time around too.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You've already had a taste, may as well keep going until they pull it next week instead of pining for it.

Not sure on your 3rd point though. Farms have always had fields. Only now you don't need to play tetris with them any more since they can be placed as individual tiles. Seems some of the pastures (like for sheep and pigs) are still larger pieces though.

ah, 2070 was my first anno game, didn't know that they've always been in there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

performance is rather bad for me, guess i need to upgrade my pc, lots of small pauses, low framerate etc

Also suffering a bit from buildings/menu icons needing time to pop in

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Am I seeing right that marketplaces, pubs, etc. no longer have a set radius? I see green streets when I click on the building, but there's no set circle thing like there used to be for public buildings.

Otherwise, I'm really liking it so far. The game plays butter smooth on my toaster PC, which was my primary worry. I'm expecting lag further on when I hit massive population sizes.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's hard to tell due to the quality of some of the videos online but it looks like most community buildings will still give you a rough outline of their catchment area, or at least an indication of their range when placing something. Then the roads help you show where they can actually reach depending on how make like you've layed out your city.

Other buildings, like the union hall, clearly show what buildings will fall in their influence.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Also the addition of trade routes with charter ships is really great. You don't need to build your own ship if you want to transport stuff from another island, you can just create a charter route and a single slot transport ship is summoned out of nowhere for 50 gold upkeep. Makes the early game so much more comfortable as you don't need to build a shipyard and the needed industry just to transport a single resource.

Also, expeditions have a event system like FTL or Battletech. My expedition to capture some ice bears failed in the end, as I didn't bring a hunter and my guys got eaten. Ops.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So are we supposed to actually, like, give them feedback and poo poo - and if so, where?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Megazver posted:

So are we supposed to actually, like, give them feedback and poo poo - and if so, where?

There's a link to the closed beta forums from the Ubisoft launcher.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I think I already found the rope trade exploit replacement, prison island pays double price for potatoes in my game, super cheap to make. Just build a bunch on an island close by and you got a lot of free income.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Radiation Cow posted:

Am I seeing right that marketplaces, pubs, etc. no longer have a set radius? I see green streets when I click on the building, but there's no set circle thing like there used to be for public buildings.

Otherwise, I'm really liking it so far. The game plays butter smooth on my toaster PC, which was my primary worry. I'm expecting lag further on when I hit massive population sizes.

Yeah am I missing something? This drives me crazy. What I do see is a color-colored grading. I.e. buildings on the streets further out are a lighter shade of green and ones closer are a darker shade indicating they're more influenced by the presence of a pub/church. I'd love to have set radius back because this kinda annoys me.

Davincie posted:

performance is rather bad for me, guess i need to upgrade my pc, lots of small pauses, low framerate etc

Also suffering a bit from buildings/menu icons needing time to pop in
I'm running 6700K OC'd at 4.4 GHZ with a GTX 1080 TI with everything set to Very High and I'm getting about 45-55 FPS consistently. That's kinda loving bad. Hopefully the full game has better optimization. Fortunately, this isn't an RTS or fast-paced metroivania or w/e, so I'm fine not hitting 144 HZ and with Freesync enabled I don't notice that much, it's largely a static game.

My main complaints off the top of my head:
- The minimap feels really bad. apparently I'm just in a local area of a larger regional map, that might drive me crazy later on. I'd rather have some kind of dynamic zoom-levels to the map where I can see local to global with smooth transition.

- The UI feels extremely loving claustrophobic right now. Like I just feel I'm super cramped with pop-ups all over each corner of my screne. I feel like I could scale the UI back 50% overall and it would probably be about OK. Is there no UI scaling at all? I'm playing on 1080p @ 24" and never really had claustrophobic UI effect before. Also lots of random peasant popups and poo poo is distracting

- There feels to be some finnicky weird transition to deselecting tools, or rotating, or moving camera and between placing poo poo. I dunno I can't really explain this but I often end up somehow selected on something not what I intended to do.

- Sailing feel finnicky. like setting a ship to go somewhere often just ends up doing that selector thing on something else and de-slecting my ship.

- Aforementioned no more radius on Churchs/Pubs/etc seems kinda bad unless it's secretly a really good thing because now it's more of a transitional gradient instead of binary? I dunno. The fact I can't see Warehouse radius is really bad in particular since so many times a claypit or w/e had no warehouse in view even though I swear it was going to be.

- It seems like there's sometimes arbitrary Full Storage popup even though things are not. Maybe just a bug. It's kinda hard to tell how much of what I need at the moment, like I way overbuilt fishing and that sort of thing seems a little obtuse or maybe I just haven't found where all that information can be dug up quickly.

Have not really messed with sailling besides moving around the map or combat or anything yet.

Other than that, seems good. I don't think I'm gunna dig too much into it right now because these games are 2000 hr timesinks but I love the return to this kind of setting since I didn't like 2070 2270 and stuff.

I loving love the little things like hotkeying buildings on a quick-toolbar, rotating/moving buildings on the fly, blueprint mode, copy n paste mode, good separation of building types and production chains by peasant levels, clean presentation of where resources are and how much my workforce is doing. It's gunna be an A+ anno game.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 31, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone who isn't receiving the beta invites through uplay, after you've been invited you can go to https://betasignup.ubisoft.com/anno1800cb/friendlist/ and it will register you for the beta.

Thanks, again, funakupo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kqmvRSC7xE

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I've not bought a game for years, but £49.99 for a game!?

Wowzers

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i freaking love blueprint mode, especially on Veteran difficulty with no takesies backsies on building placement :tipshat:

Orv
May 4, 2011
This seems like a hard return to almost everything I loved about 1404 and that is extremely okay with me. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be fundamentally broken or something like that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

hello friends

I am very excited for this video game

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

"How about a cup of coffee? You've been playing for 2 hours." I have been? :f5h::shepface::coffee:

Xaris posted:

- Aforementioned no more radius on Churchs/Pubs/etc seems kinda bad unless it's secretly a really good thing because now it's more of a transitional gradient instead of binary? I dunno. The fact I can't see Warehouse radius is really bad in particular since so many times a claypit or w/e had no warehouse in view even though I swear it was going to be.

It is, the color of the road shows you what % fulfilled the need can be filled to. So houses far from a pub might still get ~50% filled for example. It's not real helpful when you're placing down buildings without a lot of roads setup, but with relocation being totally free, it seems like less of an issue to me. Would be nice to get some effective radius indicators for it.

Bonus buildings that apply an effect show one very clearly, so it's obviously something the game can already do.

So many more neat little touches everywhere in this game, I keep discovering new and useful details in what the game shows you, and how things tie into one another. I was worried I wouldn't like the theme of this game as much as 1404, but it's grown on me pretty much instantly, and the characters all seem very likable/unlikable which is great. Amazed at how slick some of the menus are, and how good the character models are.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
We keep getting a desync in multiplayer (both on Team1) as soon as we discover the new world and then the save game is corrupt.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

We keep getting a desync in multiplayer (both on Team1) as soon as we discover the new world and then the save game is corrupt.

It might not help you but I was missing ships, trees, people and sounds when I first started the game. The repair function found some problems and downloaded another 512 MB. You can try to use the repair function on both systems to make sure that all files are the same version.

But you might be out of luck as the beta forum has quite a few reports in regards to game desyncs :(

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
With that kind of bug in context, I understand why they wanted to delay the game's release. Good for them to work it out carefully.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'm not sure I understand why everybody liked 1404 so much more than 2070. Is it just the setting?

I'm liking this new beta, but there are a few missing features I certainly hope make a return, and the map feels way too small now. Is there a way to see how many commodities your citizens are consuming?

Edit: admittedly I am still on tier 2

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you click on a residence you can see bars you can hover over to see how happy they are with the amount and what the effects they are per commodity, that might help

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
1404 had pretty environments and energetic characters.

2070 had dull and weary environments and boring characters. Some good quality of life improvements sure, but just...was not as delightful to look at.

At least that's my take on it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I want to like 2205 more than I do. I just get so frustrated with having to regularly drastically rearrange my cities on the fly to build whatever giant doohickey my new tier of citizens want for entertainment or whatever, and I hate that you spend so much time in the temperate zone. It's pretty but boring. I'd hoped I'd spend a lot more time in the arctic, tundra, and moon.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I have 2 invites left for the Closed Beta. Quote this and add your Uplay username or pm me.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm more in to sci-fit than fantasy so I liked the aesthetic of the future games but enjoyed 1404 and 2070 equally. The world in 2070 is pretty drab to start out with but I think that was the point, you're on a polluted hell world and you're supposed to be fixing it (to some degree). When you got the eco score high enough into the positives the world would brighten up considerably. I do wish the Tycoon cities had a bit more colour though. Maybe more neon or something?

2205 is widely believed to have a lot of cut content, especially among the lunar phase where a whole population tier (if not more) looks like it's missing. It was pretty clear that after the game released to a less than stellar reception that it was put on life support and left to die. There was very little added to the game after release and a lot of what was had minimal effort put into it. The game was very pretty to look at but shallow, and while I like it I can see where a lot of the criticism has come from.

A lot of the missteps in creating and supporting 2205 led to the approach the team took in talking about 1800. Being much more open with the community, giving us a lot more to review and being much more open to feedback.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

:thunk:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

mmtt posted:

I have 2 invites left for the Closed Beta. Quote this and add your Uplay username or pm me.

PremierSovian

Would PM but on phone and heck if I know how to do it from there

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mmtt posted:

SASinteres if you still have one. Thanks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Krysmphoenix posted:

1404 had pretty environments and energetic characters.

2070 had dull and weary environments and boring characters. Some good quality of life improvements sure, but just...was not as delightful to look at.

At least that's my take on it.
Yeah it's this.

1404 had lush islands, palm springs, creaking sounds of docks and boats and waves splashing, energy to it but a carefree casual pace, relatively simple to get at it and no separate world plane (i did not like underwater and having to swap between the two as awkward, I liked having everything visible ala 1404). Sure 2070 had some QoL production chain simplifications which was nice, and i guess ark stuff was neat, but everything asthetically was a step back from just zoning out on a relaxing-chill-out level watching ye olde boats sail around and making coffee for my peeps.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm more in to sci-fit than fantasy so I liked the aesthetic of the future games but enjoyed 1404 and 2070 equally. The world in 2070 is pretty drab to start out with but I think that was the point, you're on a polluted hell world and you're supposed to be fixing it (to some degree). When you got the eco score high enough into the positives the world would brighten up considerably. I do wish the Tycoon cities had a bit more colour though. Maybe more neon or something?
Like yeah going eco was definitely the way to go for me visually, but I didn't really *like* it overall from start to finish even though you're right that's what they were getting at.

Honestly if I was able to go full on loving Blader Runner 2049 cyberpunk capitalism hellscape aesthetic with neon poo poo everywhere that would have been pretty rad though. I might have liked that a lot more and completely have changed my opinion of it.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Patch time!

quote:

Fixed several desync issues in multiplayer: Thanks to everyone who has tried the multiplayer mode so far, we were able to identify and fix several of the desync issues that you have been running into. We encourage users to who ran into desync problems to give multiplayer another try.

Introducing check of file integrity: We have seen reports of users running into issues due to files being corrupted during download. This update introduces an automatic check to see if any files are corrupted. If that is the case, please do the following: Go to your Uplay library, click on “Anno 1800 Closed Beta”, then click on “Properties” and finally on “Verify Files”.

Balance changes to influence system: We have seen some concerns from testers regarding the influence system. In response to that, this update makes some changes to the influence system’s balance. We also have some general thoughts from the designers for you.

Changed:
Island Expansion: Influence cost for island expansion has been lowered by 50%
Harbor defenses: The number of harbor defenses that can be built without using influence points has been raised. The influence cost of additional harbor defenses beyond that threshold has been lowered by 30%.
Trade ships: The number of trade ships that ca be built without having to spend influence points has been lowered.

Designer’s notes:
We have seen some concerns from player’s regarding the current influence system implementation in the Closed Beta. While we are keep close track of your feedback (as you can see from the above changes), we would also ask you to keep a few things in mind:

Content limitations: As the Closed Beta only gives access to the first three citizen tiers, the player progression and acquisition of influence points is capped in an artificial way that won’t be present in the final version of the game. Right now, players are spending more time on tier 3 than they would in the full game, which leads to a different gameplay behavior where players are looking to progress in other ways, using more influence points than they would likely normally do at this stage This is especially true as the investors (citizen tier 5) are an important source of influence points in the late game.
We have seen some concerns that the current influence system doesn’t give players enough information and details to make educated decisions on how to invest the points. We agree! Our current main version of the game that we are working on already has more and improved tooltips to give players more details, but it sadly did not make it into the Closed Beta in time.
With all of the above said: The influence system is still in development, and any balancing you see now are far from final. We encourage you to keep testing the current system with the above changes and give us feedback!

So with a bit of luck multiplayer is working now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think im the only person in the world that liked 2205. until the last time i played it and got hosed, and now i hate it

i like that the resource numbers are back to being low, though. it's just easier for me to keep track of ~100 of a resource than 10,000 of it, even though my brain knows there's no real difference