Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

They had to have rotoscoped that ED right? Great as it was, it might have given me some Flowers of Evil flashbacks...

This whole episode was absolutely amazing. The yeti was great, the western duel was great, Chika having her first time with a dog was great. It just keeps getting better.

It's definitely rotoscoped. There's a certain fluidity to the movements that are actually unnatural to how those movements are normally animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's definitely rotoscoped. There's a certain fluidity to the movements that are actually unnatural to how those movements are normally animated.

Yeah I know. Makes for a really interesting look even if they don't animate at the fidelity they did here. Mainly I want to not associate rotoscoping with Flowers of Evil because I'd like to forget that show exists forever please and thank you.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Lucky I never watched that anime. Rotoscoping makes me think of classic Disney animated movies and a couple of dancing scenes in Macross Frontier.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

flowers of evil was fine and its use of rotoscoping was good

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Futaba Anzu posted:

flowers of evil was fine and its use of rotoscoping was good

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, that's what sort of bothered me about the ED. Just looked a bit...off to me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ChronoReverse posted:

Rotoscoping makes me think of classic Disney animated movies and a couple of dancing scenes in Macross Frontier.

:same:

Flowers of Evil (from what i watched of it) seemed like a tv budget sized version of Waking Life and that seemed fine, even if it didn't grab me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItiQgOzur0

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh yeah forgot about Waking Life, that was a trip.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd be fine with rotoscoping like this where it kept to being more distinctly "anime" looking to the point you're not sure if its CG or not. Flowers of Evil takes effort to get used to.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ViggyNash posted:

They had to have rotoscoped that ED right? Great as it was, it might have given me some Flowers of Evil flashbacks...

This whole episode was absolutely amazing. The yeti was great, the western duel was great, Chika having her first time with a dog was great. It just keeps getting better.

Speaking of, those sequences was so gloriously SHAFT I now have a huge craving to watch some SHAFT anime that I haven't watched for a long, long time.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
i just want general SHAFT weirdness in more anime.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A-1 is really trying to capture that Shaft essence, and it's not doing half bad at it. I would definitely be curious to see what Shaft would've done though.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Keep in mind a number of the staff on Kaguya-sama is from Shaft. If you're seeing some of Shaft's style, there's good reason for that.

Director Mamoru Hatakeyama:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/05/15/feature-creative-spotlight-mamoru-hatakeyama

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2019

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
from some guy on reddit, a good fujiwara

Agronox fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 29, 2019

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

that is a good Chika

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
those lines could easily translate into an enamel pin of some sort, which could be something i want.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm really torn between going ahead and picking up the manga to get my fix and not having to wait another week or holding it off until the anime's done so that I can experience every episode fresh.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

I'm really torn between going ahead and picking up the manga to get my fix and not having to wait another week or holding it off until the anime's done so that I can experience every episode fresh.

My recommendation would be to wait. It'll probably be more fun that way, and you'd have a lot to catch up on after the season ends anyway.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Same. While I'm sure the series would still be great if I was just watching it as an adaptation and saying "they sure did that chapter justice," I'm happy I never broke down and read it because the series is hysterical if you're seeing all the jokes fresh and don't know what's coming.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They are adding some unique flair to the anime, all the explicit Western imagery in the twenty ten questions sequence was a new addition. And superb.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The narrator also really adds to it. Makes it even more silly and over the top.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Narrator is great. Reminds me of Hayate no Gotoku narrator!

Wakamoto is a god and should be every narrator role

E: Chika dances like an absolute dork and it's great

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 29, 2019

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

They are adding some unique flair to the anime, all the explicit Western imagery in the twenty ten questions sequence was a new addition. And superb.

The anime team is really doing this as a labor of love. That Chika dance came out of nowhere and floored all of us manga readers for instance but it still wasn't created out of whole cloth and references a couple of chapters (perhaps ones they'll have to cut). Anime-only watchers will have fun reading the manga later to link up references in the anime.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

The 20 shot revolver was so silly.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Pharohman777 posted:

The 20 shot revolver was so silly.

Absolutely real apparently: http://silvercore-firearms-training.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-henrion-dassy-heuschen-double.html

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I recognized it because a similar gun was on the forgotten weapons channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StSyVLW3RB8

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

My recommendation would be to wait. It'll probably be more fun that way, and you'd have a lot to catch up on after the season ends anyway.

Too late. Stayed up all night to binge the whole manga. Totally worth it.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/Katharcity/status/1089744045931343875

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I laughed my rear end off at least 10 times while watching episode 2.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 31, 2019

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
So... did the YES! / NO! in the introduction sketch to the 20 Questions part sounded like JoJo and D'arby to anyone else?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1091260126793674752?s=19

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG_mJhnI2rI

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I started watching this last night and I am very impressed with it. I was laughing so hard when what's his face was giving out relationship advice and Kaguya was losing her mind. Definitely gonna keep up with this one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's so cool, here's some commentary about it

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1091387528614158338?s=19

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I can't believe that wasn't even rotoscoped.

Nakayama is a god and should get all of the funds.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I can't believe that wasn't even rotoscoped.

Nakayama is a god and should get all of the funds.

It was rotoscoped. But not in the traditional method which is why it looks great like Disney rotoscoping instead of crappy anime rotoscoping.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Hare Hare Yukai better move aside.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Good stuff, banned word and phone call were great, although the effects of sticking 4 chapters together could be felt in the exchange party.

Here's the sequence that was skipped, featuring Shirogane being very smooth. It's a good one!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Kaguya-sama is a romantic comedy anime:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Comme c'est mignon