Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Skarsnik posted:

Can we have a setting for more or less settings
Only if it's the only thing to disappear when you choose less settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How about a mystery switch? What does it do? Is it good or bad? Does it do anything? Thousands will swear it enhances their posting...

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
...but none will be any better at it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

baka kaba posted:

We have waaaay too many settings as it is.

https://imgur.com/qsbSrSp

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Only if it's the only thing to disappear when you choose less settings.

It'd be better the other way, if every setting except for it disappeared.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

How about a mystery switch? What does it do? Is it good or bad? Does it do anything? Thousands will swear it enhances their posting...

I've had mystery switches in houses and apartments I've rented before and I always enjoyed the tiny bit of fear that I was about to make a serious mistake every time I flipped them

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Skarsnik posted:

Can we have a setting for more or less settings

I'll take a setting for this.

baka kaba posted:

We have waaaay too many settings as it is. The idea behind long press for a menu is we could ditch the "always open on tap" setting

I don't 100% remember but I think this is the way the iOS Awful app handles it. It's been a while since I've used it though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Maybe a setting to enable posting threads?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What another one?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone else getting jumpy playback on embedded twitter videos?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

baka kaba posted:

also on the link menu thing, not promising it will be changed but would people prefer tap = open it, long-tap = menu? That's how it works in things like browsers...

In browsers, you're already in the browser, so it's not much of a context switch.

In Awful, on the other hand, opening a link whisks you away from the page you're viewing and into another app. Personally, I like having the menu on easy access, since I'm about as likely to copy-paste or share (to a notes app) as I am to just click the link, and it's not especially disruptive if I accidentally tap a link.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah it's trippy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Skarsnik posted:

They're all playing at really low res too, at least for me :thunk:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

make it fix dont like :saddowns:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

In browsers, you're already in the browser, so it's not much of a context switch.

In Awful, on the other hand, opening a link whisks you away from the page you're viewing and into another app. Personally, I like having the menu on easy access, since I'm about as likely to copy-paste or share (to a notes app) as I am to just click the link, and it's not especially disruptive if I accidentally tap a link.

The links are also usually abbreviated, and I like to click once just to see a fuller URL and gauge how interested I actually am to click through.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

This. And also the size info when it's an image.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Apologies if this has come up before, but when pulling up to refresh the page, the app automatically skips to the next page if there is one, even if there are a bunch of unread posts on the current page (mostly an issue on the really fast moving threads in DnD and the like). It'd be good if it could check whether to refresh the page or load the next one instead of just going straight to the next page, if that's possible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Apologies if this has come up before, but when pulling up to refresh the page, the app automatically skips to the next page if there is one, even if there are a bunch of unread posts on the current page (mostly an issue on the really fast moving threads in DnD and the like). It'd be good if it could check whether to refresh the page or load the next one instead of just going straight to the next page, if that's possible.

That exists under device and navigation in the settings. :cheerdoge:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Except that disables pull-to-refresh entirely, and I believe tapping the button instead will have the same behavior.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hrm, shouldn't usually happen but I can see how it might. Normally it refreshes if you're on the last page, or turns if you're not - and if you're not on the last page then you must be looking at a full page of posts

But the info about the current thread can update even if you don't refresh the page, so you can end up looking at a page that isn't the last one anymore, that doesn't have a full page of posts

Can probably just set the behaviour when the page loads instead of when you pull the thing, that should make it consistent with what you're looking at. Thanks!

e- the buttons should act fine, it's just the pull-to-refresh thing acts as either the next page button or the refresh button depending on which page you're on. I'll check though

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 30, 2019

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

But the info about the current thread can update even if you don't refresh the page, so you can end up looking at a page that isn't the last one anymore, that doesn't have a full page of posts

This is the behavior I've noticed

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Oh nvm what I said then guess I was mistaken. I don't pull or use the button much, I just read to the end then go back to bookmarks and if there are more posts I'll find out that way.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I use 20 posts per page on the app but whenever I click to another post from via a link it loads the page number as if it were 40 posts/page.

So what this means is if anyone links to a post in another thread I have to double the page number it sends me to and hunt around for the post, or whatever I guess is the post based on context.

Is there a solution for this? I suppose I can just go back to 40 posts per page but it kind of defeats the purpose of having an option.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are you using 20 posts per page on the site too? (Is that new? Thought it used to always be 30 or 40, maybe that's why it works for people)

Basically some of the links are a "go to this post ID" format which relies on the site redirecting you to another URL with the correct page, according to your posts-per-page setting on the site. If the app is set to a different value then they're gonna fight, things are gonna be inconsistent - it's old and should probably be reworked really, like scraping your setting from the site and not allowing you to set it in the app itself

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Is there a way yet to have Twitter posts embed? It's hard to read 99% of political threads without..

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Donovan Trip posted:

Is there a way yet to have Twitter posts embed? It's hard to read 99% of political threads without..
Settings > Posts > Embedding > Tweets

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ardlen posted:

Settings > Posts > Embedding > Tweets

Oh poo poo! Thank you!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Are you using 20 posts per page on the site too? (Is that new? Thought it used to always be 30 or 40, maybe that's why it works for people)

Basically some of the links are a "go to this post ID" format which relies on the site redirecting you to another URL with the correct page, according to your posts-per-page setting on the site. If the app is set to a different value then they're gonna fight, things are gonna be inconsistent - it's old and should probably be reworked really, like scraping your setting from the site and not allowing you to set it in the app itself

Interesting. I only use 20 per page on the app, so I guess that explains it. Thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Did it fix the issues though? It was a guess really, if you try it and there's still problems I can look into it

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Audio in Twitter embedded videos keeps cutting out

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
So I updated to the latest version recently on my Samsung S8+ (unmodified) and it's been crashing consistently ever since. It happens after some time viewing posts and tapping to show the list of options for a post is guaranteed to crash it.

Anyone else suffering the same? I don't think this phone's uniquely set up or anything...

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Update your chrome

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Reallycoolname posted:

So I updated to the latest version recently on my Samsung S8+ (unmodified) and it's been crashing consistently ever since. It happens after some time viewing posts and tapping to show the list of options for a post is guaranteed to crash it.

Anyone else suffering the same? I don't think this phone's uniquely set up or anything...

I have the same phone and it's fine for me. Update as above, or possibly uninstall and clear all data - that solved a weird issue I had once.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No problemw here just tipsy at 8 am wanted to say i love the app

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there a place to check common issues and troubleshooting? I checked the first page of the thread and a random spot-check of other pages and didn't see any. Hopefully I don't eat a hellban for asking.

(The post preview flashes incessantly, I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's had the problem).

Edit: Pixel 3 XL, Android 9. Though I'm pretty sure I was getting the same problem on my Moto G5+ not too long ago either.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 13, 2019

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Lobok posted:

Is there a place to check common issues and troubleshooting? I checked the first page of the thread and a random spot-check of other pages and didn't see any. Hopefully I don't eat a hellban for asking.

(The post preview flashes incessantly, I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's had the problem).

I get this issue too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's the warning that you're about to make a bad post.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Midjack posted:

That's the warning that you're about to make a bad post.

No you don't understand, it happens every time I post.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lobok posted:

No you don't understand, it happens every time I post.

I've got some obvious punchline for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why does copying a twitter URL from the app carry a bunch of poo poo metadata, but copying a twitter URL from the site doesn't?

I mean this stuff:

code:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1093918971114467328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1093918971114467328&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F