Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I seem to recall the foiled killing scene at the gas station in the remake is very good, while the climatic swimming pool scene in the original is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

but all the changes and tweaks means that you leave the original film feeling optimistic for Oskar with Eli, but in the remake you leave feeling horrified for Owen with Abby.

It was a pretty awesome experience to essentially see the same movie twice, reach the ending, and come to the complete opposite conclusion. The remake really did a fantastic job of playing up the horror that is (and will be) their relationship and I think it worked just as well as the almost hopeful ending the original film had.

And yeah the car crash scene was really good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The MSJ posted:

Beefy bald guys in portrait and landscape flavors.

"Fast & Furious presents", lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope that movie bombs.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fast and Furious and transformers crossover movie in the next 10 years. Bet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

feedmyleg posted:

Let Me In is such a fascinating remake because very clearly shows how changes that seem small on the surface can have such a massive impact, akin to Van Sant's Psycho. 90% of the film may as well be shot-for-shot, but all the changes and tweaks means that you leave the original film feeling optimistic for Oskar with Eli, but in the remake you leave feeling horrified for Owen with Abby.

It's also one of the only remakes that swore up and down that it was going to be closer to the source material and then actually was, despite also being a remake of the first film. jk i got all mixed up because my brain isn't very good

Wtf. I've only seen the original and I was horrified for their future.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

Wtf. I've only seen the original and I was horrified for their future.

Yeah same. Maybe I’m a huge cynic, but I felt like the ending of the original was pretty drat bleak.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The remake didn't have the terrible CGI cats or the bad dubbing over the main character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Faustine posted:

Yeah same. Maybe I’m a huge cynic, but I felt like the ending of the original was pretty drat bleak.

:shrug: I've definitely heard both reactions, but personally I was left feeling cautiously optimistic. These two could save each other, OR things could go terribly, horribly wrong for them—but by no means was either outcome certain. The ending of Let Me In, though, is far more bleak.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Guy Mann posted:

The remake didn't have the terrible CGI cats or the bad dubbing over the main character.

How dare you

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

:shrug: I've definitely heard both reactions, but personally I was left feeling cautiously optimistic. These two could save each other, OR things could go terribly, horribly wrong for them—but by no means was either outcome certain. The ending of Let Me In, though, is far more bleak.

The vampire is a child molester who's been grooming boys for decades, how are they going to save each other? I haven't seen the remake, maybe they make it more obvious there. I remember them doing it in a way that felt okay until you thought about it literally at all and realized how profoundly hosed up it is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

The vampire is a child molester who's been grooming boys for decades

...that isn't the text of the first film. Eli is a vampire emotionally stunted at 12 for all eternity, and Hakan was a pedofile who met Eli when he was an adult, text in the book and implied in the film.

The remake changes it to that, though, yeah.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mmm!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

The vampire is a child molester who's been grooming boys for decades, how are they going to save each other? I haven't seen the remake, maybe they make it more obvious there. I remember them doing it in a way that felt okay until you thought about it literally at all and realized how profoundly hosed up it is.

To think that way requires the presumption that Oskar in the present is what Hakan was in the past - an innocent who got sucked into Eli's orbit and destroyed by his hope for a crumb of love. That's not what it's about. Eli has always had a servitor who will protect her for thought of what he can get from her, but she's never had a friend who will look out for her simply because that's what friends do. It's interesting to consider the titles in that light because they perfectly mirror the differences in the story and its driving force. The original title comes from a Morrissey song about finding your soulmate, and that's what the story is about - finding someone to love and letting them into your life. The remake reverses that and becomes a demand to be let in.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Let the Right One In is somewhat ambiguous in its ending, but it's pretty easy to draw parallels between Hakan and Oskar if you've never read the book and rely solely on what the film presents to you. The remake just makes this interpretation explicit.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I never read the book or saw the remake and that's what I read it as :shrug:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Untrustable posted:

Fast and Furious and transformers crossover movie in the next 10 years. Bet.

I want this unironically.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I've had a bet with my friends since Fast 7 that by 10 there will be a scene where they are in space and I'm liking my odds

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Vintersorg posted:

I hope that movie bombs.

hahaha, yea, a F&F movie will bomb

Do you honestly believe people who have been watching those will look at this and say nah, I'm okay with my current amount of ridiculous car stunts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lxu75r3-kI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1091510228376444929

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is this the same character as that Saoirse Ronan movie with that dope rear end Chemical Brothers soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqKnoXXL-yI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBmwcuLa1as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ANwPDv0Tw

Sick soundtrack. Is the movie good? For some reason I thought it was bad and have avoided it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Syncopated posted:

Sick soundtrack. Is the movie good? For some reason I thought it was bad and have avoided it.

Yes. Very stylish, good soundtrack as you can see, the action is well done, and Cate Blanchett and Tom Hollander turn in some entertainingly weird performances.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
When your poster designer hasn't seen a newspaper in person in over a decade.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Samuringa posted:

hahaha, yea, a F&F movie will bomb

Do you honestly believe people who have been watching those will look at this and say nah, I'm okay with my current amount of ridiculous car stunts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lxu75r3-kI

It’s a spin-off, them succeeding is not a sure thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As long as it makes 400m in China that's all that matters

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Darthemed posted:

It takes place in the 50s, so...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Darthemed posted:

When your movie won't make any money in over a decade

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

It takes place in the 50s, so...

Were back-page headlines with fonts bigger than the front-page headlines a thing back then?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s a spin-off, them succeeding is not a sure thing.

Nothing is, but Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson plus Jason "Ze Germans" Statham in an action movie together is already a good draw and they've got Idris Elba plus the familiarity of a popular series.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Rock isn't really guaranteed success though, nor is Statham. Domestically.

Judging by a quick Boxoffmojo search the goddamn international movie is keeping these movies afloat.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

yeah sure that poster would be much better if it had some really detailed and irrelevant sporting news on the back page or something. fucks sake.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Or just the same posing, but with each of them holding their own paper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darthemed posted:

Were back-page headlines with fonts bigger than the front-page headlines a thing back then?

No, but neither was putting the masthead on the back page. That paper has two front pages.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

yeah sure that poster would be much better if it had some really detailed and irrelevant sporting news on the back page or something. fucks sake.
it would be, though

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Darthemed posted:

No. Nor did they have the banner on the back page.

And for a very nerdy gripe, very few papers were six columns like the mock-up. Most were 7-8 columns, much more jammed together. The mock-up is based is the modern New York Times, but set in the 1950s without actually seeing what the NYT looked like back then.

(Just noticed that like the mock-up in the poster, this is the New York Times on the main day of the Mount Everest coverage.)

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 3, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vintersorg posted:

The Rock isn't really guaranteed success though, nor is Statham. Domestically.

Judging by a quick Boxoffmojo search the goddamn international movie is keeping these movies afloat.
It's certainly what kept the Bay Transformers films afloat until even international audiences got tired of them and the studio had to do a soft reset.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Holy poo poo. This is real? Some of the images from the books keep me up at night to this day. I don’t think I will be able to handle this movie!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dont't look at those clouds too closely. They kind of look like the scary pictures in places :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Of course the story featured on the poster is the fuckin scariest one to me. I live on a ranch and the thought of a sentient scarecrow/dummy/tulpa attacking and skinning me scared me so bad as a child that I had unending nightmares.

Still get chills thinking about the last line of that story. gently caress it's effective.